Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: January Jones/The Black Eyed Peas (11/14/09)

HelloStuart

[41]Nov 14, 2009
    • level: 63
    HelloStuart wrote:
    warqueen wrote:
    INTERESTING NEWS: According to Entertainment Tonight on their Friday show, they announced that the Black Eye Peas will perform 3 songs. Kevin Fraizer interviewed Will.i.am at the SNL Studio. http://www.etonline.com/news/2009/11/80952/index.html

Sounds like to me that they are considering a major possibilty that if January Jones performance skills are lackluster on the show; then having the BEP sing 3 songs is a good cover excuse to have 1 or 2 skits less for this episode.

I heard that Josh Duhamel wanted to be appear on the show, but Lorne nixed that, mainly because he was afraid that while Fergie was performing with her bandmates that somewhere backstage Dumahel would most likely bang one or more of the female cast members; with top likelyhood being the new f-bomb lesbian girl and/or the new Iranian girl, since the stripper in Atlanta he allegedly(high-probably)hooked up with looks alot like either one of them. Or in in a more specific observation, the stripper looks like a grown-up secret love child from the coitus union of the new f-bomb lesbian girl & the new Iranian girl.

Don't spread misinformation and please watch what you write.

Okay... you were right about the three songs, but the second part of your post was out of line.

Edited on 11/14/2009 10:10pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

HelloStuart

[42]Nov 14, 2009

My thoughts:

+ This cold opening might've actually been more anti-Obama than that other anti-Obama sketch. Suds' delirious Biden impression is paying off in the most unsettling way possible. James Downey wears his populist rage on his sleeve.

+ Fred's "Mad Mennie" character says he prefers Peggy over Betty, a reference to his wife Elizabeth Moss. Don't get me wrong, it was adorable, though we could see the in-joke coming from a mile away.

+ First she takes on Barbara Walters, now Hoda Kotb? Is Jenny Slate anything other than the diet soda version of Mike Watkins?

+ Did anyone else think January saying "which camera?" was part of the sketch? I'd like to give her the reason of a doubt.

+ Rear Window with Grace Kelly farting. Just… beautiful.

+ For the first part of BEP's performance of "I Gotta Feeling," the foursome just stands there singing and half-dancing. Compared to other recent musical guests in the CHR format, didn't this remind anybody of that scene in Amadeus when Saliari's opera bombs the night after Mozart debuts his latest composition? What I mean is, before the confetti explosion it was awfully boring to look at.

+ Though his Lou Dobbs impression was quite timely –and granted, the commentary itself was a tad ham-fisted-- Darrell Hammond really needs to stop circling the building.

+ "Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde" with obvious gay sex/down low jokes. Also just… beautiful.

+ Wow, a short film and a digital short? Well, at least the writers are throwing a bone at Jimmy Signorelli. On that note, the '50s hygiene movie ran laps around Fred walking in on Andy making a grumpy.

+ I rated tonight's show as a 5; the aforementioned filmed piece got the biggest laughs, "WIIX" came in a close second and from there a big dropoff. Outside of the first half-hour, tonight's show barely felt like it was live. January never truly got comfortable in front of the camera, even when she spent the last sketch lying on her back. Jason was in nearly every sketch, which was a nice change of pace from Kristen doing the exact same thing. If you like the Black Eyed Peas, all the power to you; they did nothing for me. So far we've had two good shows out of six, a trend that is not boding well for a season that's not even one-third over.

This is my last post for the night, I swear.

thefanof

[43]Nov 14, 2009
    • level: 102
    I agree on most of your points, but not Darrell Hammond. Still one of the best impressionists out there, so if he wants to show up every few weeks to do Bill Clinton (or in this case Lou Dobbs) that's fine by me.

warqueen

[44]Nov 15, 2009
    • level: 5

1. Did anyone else think that Bobby Moynihan's impersonation of Alfred Hitchcock actually look way more like Rush Limbaugh?

2. Where was Kenan? Was he out from the show tonight because of swine flu maybe??

3. Fergie stole the show. Her vocal performances & her in the skit beating up 'Kathy Lee' with the rest of the Peas made her presence on the show outshine that of J.J. Go figure that the top 2 musical outings this season were by 2 admitting bisexual high-powered/high-profile female singers: Lady GaGa and Stacy "Fergie" Ferguson.

4. January Jones is a glorified Brittany Daniels. And I say that as a guy who has always really liked like Brittany Daniels. I believe her asking for which camera to look at was unscipted & genuine; she cracked up in 2 other sketches ala Fallon; She looked uncomfortable for most of the show except when she was laughing out of character.

5, Stu, I have never once put misinformation on this forum. That's why I put up the link as that is what you guys ask when anyone posts exclusive general news information claims for the show. Everybody immediately condemned me like they did last year when I posted the photos of Sara Palin when she became McCain's running mate and I aked who would play her on the show, I put pictures of kristen, casey, or as I put it, my wild card pick-tina. All on here dismissed it as irrevelant. http://www.tv.com/saturday-night-live/show/365/which-female-snl-cast-member-would-be-best-at-playing-mccain-vp-pick-sara-palin/topic/455-1145985/msgs.html?tag=content;main In the end, Tina's portrayal of Palin was the most-high-profile memorable for SNL this decade, and one of most in the show's history.

I admit my rant on Fergie's husband was over the top, the reason I brought it up was that if anyone had bothered to watch the video link on the Entertainment Tonight link, you would have heard and seen in the interview at SNL studio not only that they said 3 songs would be performed, but Will.i.am response to being asked about the situation with Fergie and Duhamel/the stripper was two-fold: a. He was uncomfortable that it was linked to their appearance and his body language enforced this, b. He said that everybody in the group were rallying 100% around Stacy. Its looking more like the smoke of truth is getting thicker in this case. Stacy is a 12 on 1 to 10 scale. the stripper that Josh was 'alleged' to be involved with is about a five. And yes it is my opinion that the resemblance between the stripper who name is Nicole Forrester (if anyone has seen her photo), Jenny Slate and Nasim Pedrad is some what uncanny. I may just post all 3 of their pictures on here.

JENNY NASIM PEDRAD

Nicole Forrester NICOLE FORRESTER

I am just making my case thats all.

dukerock12

[45]Nov 15, 2009
    • level: 3
    does anyone think that in the skit were wigg was the news reporter that she forgot her lines or was that part of the skit? i felt the episode was pretty sloppy.

whoaitsconner

[46]Nov 15, 2009
    • level: 21
    Stu, just a correction, Nasim took Barb. Jenny took Hoda.

HelloStuart

[47]Nov 15, 2009
    whoaitsconner wrote:
    Stu, just a correction, Nasim took Barb. Jenny took Hoda.

Oh, thanks.

HelloStuart

[48]Nov 15, 2009
    warqueen wrote:
    1. Did anyone else think that Bobby Moynihan's impersonation of Alfred Hitchcock actually look way more like Rush Limbaugh?

2. Where was Kenan? Was he out from the show tonight because of swine flu maybe??

1. Now that I think about it, yes.

2. Kenan sang the "Bernie & The Sheikh" theme song. Whether that was live or not, I'm not sure.

5. I apologized for the misinformation gaffe in post #41. I just don't see how Fergie and Duhamel's troubled marriage is relevant to SNL, that's all. As for Fey as Palin, I stated 15 months ago that I wasn't sure if Tina would have the time to impersonate the Alaska governor; I was skeptical, but I did not turn my comments into character assassination. You were right, most of us were wrong, it's water under the bridge.

thefanof

[49]Nov 15, 2009
    dukerock12 wrote:
    does anyone think that in the skit were wigg was the news reporter that she forgot her lines or was that part of the skit? i felt the episode was pretty sloppy.

I think there's a very good possibility one of them missed their cue to start talking in the beginning, but the sketch is supposed to be awkward as a whole. January Jones just didn't sell Kristen Wiig's behavior the way it was supposed to be done and that's why it fell pretty flat.

Stu, how many times has this been done outside of the Scarlett episode? I'm drawing a blank, but I'm pretty sure I've seen it a few other times.

jcar03

[50]Nov 15, 2009
    • level: 46
    I only saw a little bit of it but this episode seemed to be a mess and though I love January on Mad Men she is clearly not so good with comedy.

HelloStuart

[51]Nov 15, 2009
    thefanof wrote:
    dukerock12 wrote:
    does anyone think that in the skit were Wiig was the news reporter that she forgot her lines or was that part of the skit? I felt the episode was pretty sloppy.

I think there's a very good possibility one of them missed their cue to start talking in the beginning, but the sketch is supposed to be awkward as a whole. January Jones just didn't sell Kristen Wiig's behavior the way it was supposed to be done and that's why it fell pretty flat.

Stu, how many times has this been done outside of the Scarlett episode? I'm drawing a blank, but I'm pretty sure I've seen it a few other times.

Michelle Dyson first popped up in the Jaime Pressly/Corinne Bailey Rae broadcast in Year 32. Last night was her third total appearance.

warqueen

[52]Nov 16, 2009
    • level: 5

Thanks Stu. Water under the bridge it is. And I will give you a kudos compliment as well. You were the only one on this thread who said that there would not be cameos by one or cast members of 'Mad Men' when everyone else said they probably would be.

I would to give everyone some relate info.

1. Will Forte & Jason Sudekis had voice appearances on Sunday nights "The Cleveland Show". I actually thought Forte was David Cross at first as they both vocallty sound similiar. Also Arianna Huffington, Glenn Howerton (Dennis from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia) and Marina Sirtis (Counselor Deanna Troi from Star Trek: The Next Generation) had voice credits as well.

2. Speaking of current & former SNL players who are doing 2 other cartoon-animation shows. apparently Comedy Central is going to give "Sit Down, Shut Up" & "The Goode Family" second chances! http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118010476.html?categoryid=14&cs=1&query=the+goode+family

3. January Jones is getting absolutely ripped by mainstream entertainment witers. I found a MSN article that I amost want to post as a new thread. Very Juicy Reading. At the comments section page there are a lot of brutal remarks for the episode. Here is the whole article: http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=441859>1=28102

From 'Mad' to bad? January Jones' 'SNL' debut meets tough reviews Nov. 15, 2009, 9:52 AM EST

MSN Entertainment

Reviews of this week's episode of "Saturday Night Live" poured in early Sunday--and they were not as pretty as host January Jones.

That said, this week's "SNL" had its moments, especially for "Mad Men" fans, who were treated to a tongue-in-cheek look at what Jones has to deal with as a result of the show's popularity.

A cluster of superfans who called themselves "Mad Mennies" appeared as Jones began to deliver her monologue, and proceeded to pester her like a pack of pre-teen girls nipping at the heels of a "Twilight" star.

"We even have a drinking game," yelped one Mad Menny, explaining that they take a gulp of booze whenever someone on the show does. Another quickly clarified that they can never get through a whole episode because they're always blacking out.

Reviewers across the board seemed to find that things went downhill after that.

"From the season's best edition to the season's worst in the space of a week," wrote Entertainment Weekly's Ken Tucker, contrasting it with last week's surprisingly hilarious performance by country diva Taylor Swift.

Pointing to problems like gas humor and a theme of homophobic jokes, EW suggested that the writing didn't help Jones' cold, Betty Draper-like delivery.

"Jones seemed stiff during the monologue," the Wall Street Journal complained, "and she didn't seem to be a natural comic, or even a graceful straight woman, which left her as a spectator during most of her skits even when she was supposed to be the focus."

The writers predictably leaned on Jones' back-in-time vibe, running a spoof of the Hitchcock film, "Rear Window" in which her perfect blond coif mirrored Grace Kelly's but the "rear" in the title took on a whole new meaning.

Another sketch poked fun at old standards about how women were expected to conduct themselves while hosting a party, and managed to draw more laughs than the puerile gas attack humor did.

Later, musical guests the Black Eyed Peas literally punched up one of the skits.

During a lambast of the "fourth hour of the Today show" and Kathie Lee Gifford, the Peas got tired of waiting around backstage to appear as guests and finally came out to beat the daylights out of Kristen Wiig's Gifford.

Meanwhile, the recently fired Michaela Watkins was noteably absent in her former Hoda role, replaced this week by Jenny Slate.

Jones is the second "Mad Men" star to take a stab at hosting the long-running sketch comedy show, following in the footsteps of her on-screen husband, Jon Hamm.

But as the Wall Street Journal aptly notes: Elisabeth Moss, who plays the career-minded Peggy on "Mad Men" and recently married "SNL" veteran Fred Armisen, could probably handle the burden of hosting with the same aplomb that her character handles Sterling Cooper's creative department.

evildevil97

[53]Nov 16, 2009
    • level: 26
    Sudeikis does a terrible Jimmy Stewart impression. Seems like the kind of role that would go to Armisen.

HelloStuart

[54]Nov 17, 2009
    evildevil97 wrote:
    Sudeikis does a terrible Jimmy Stewart impression. Seems like the kind of role that would go to Armisen.

Or they could've called up Carvey.

evildevil97

[55]Nov 17, 2009
    HelloStuart wrote:
    evildevil97 wrote:

Yeah, I probably was inadvertantly comparing the impression to Dana's. But then again, I consider Dana to be the greatest living SNL alum.

HelloStuart

[56]Nov 17, 2009
    evildevil97 wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    evildevil97 wrote:

Yeah, I probably was inadvertantly comparing the impression to Dana's. But then again, I consider Dana to be the greatest living SNL alum.

In some perverse way, I kinda wish Wiigy was on the show 20 years earlier. Kristen and Dana would've been a pretty formidable duo.

evildevil97

[57]Nov 18, 2009
    HelloStuart wrote:
    evildevil97 wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    evildevil97 wrote:

In some perverse way, I kinda wish Wiigy was on the show 20 years earlier. Kristen and Dana would've been a pretty formidable duo.
    Kristen Wiig reminds me more of Cheri Oteri than anyone else.

I really wish Dana would come back to SNL, even if jusst for a cameo or two. He hasnt been on since 2000.

thefanof

[58]Nov 18, 2009
    HelloStuart wrote:
    evildevil97 wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    evildevil97 wrote:

Even though she looks nothing like her the idea of a Regis and Kelly skit with Dana Carvey and Kristen Wiig would definitely be awesome.

TheDiamondDog

[59]Nov 18, 2009
    • level: 61

evildevil97 wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    evildevil97 wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    evildevil97 wrote:
    Kristen Wiig reminds me more of Cheri Oteri than anyone else. I really wish Dana would come back to SNL, even if jusst for a cameo or two. He hasnt been on since 2000.

Yeah, I'd love to see that.

thecomedianky

[60]Nov 19, 2009
    • level: 19
    TheDiamondDog wrote:
    Man, fart jokes? Did a bunch of ten year olds write this skit?
    i have no idea who wrote that sketch but really?