Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Jason Segel/Florence + The Machine (11/19/11)

JustinRAn

[25]Oct 24, 2011
    • level: 12
    I would take the JJ show cause it wasn't the same jokes every sketch.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

BaronOne

[26]Oct 25, 2011
    • level: 15

JustinRAn wrote:

I liked the cold open, the digital short, the cloud sketch,and the ladies guide to throwing a party film. Maybe Update too. But those weren't fantastic or anything. And the bad stuff was SOOOOOO BAD.Plus, a sketch about Grace Kelly wasted on a fart joke. Not to mention a wasted opportunity with a black and white Jekyll and Hyde parody... wasted on a gay joke. We had January stinking it up in that lesbian reporter sketch and THREE performances by the Black Eyed Peas. Rough.

JustinRAn

[27]Oct 25, 2011
    BaronOne wrote:

JustinRAn wrote:

I liked the cold open, the digital short, the cloud sketch,and the ladies guide to throwing a party film. Maybe Update too. But those weren't fantastic or anything. And the bad stuff was SOOOOOO BAD.Plus, a sketch about Grace Kelly wasted on a fart joke. Not to mention a wasted opportunity with a black and white Jekyll and Hyde parody... wasted on a gay joke. We had January stinking it up in that lesbian reporter sketch and THREE performances by the Black Eyed Peas. Rough.

First, I don't care who you are, Marlon Brando couldn't do those sketches and have them seem good
    Second, What you said could affect any SNL episode that has ever aired
    Finally, Let me just change a little of what you said and base it around Jon Hamm's 1st episode:

I liked the Barack Obama variety half hour and the monologue. Maybe Update too. But those weren't fantastic or anything. And the bad stuff was SOOOOOO BAD.Plus, a sketch about Gloria Swanson getting tickled by Liberace. Not to mention a wasted opportunity with Mad Men... wasted on 2 A Holes. We had Hamm stinking it up in that registered sex offender sketch and FOUR performances by Coldplay. Rough.

Now lets just drop this. I like Bad Teacher, You loved Bridesmaids. I hated the Elton John episode at the beginning, you changed your mind after awhile; If I may quote you to close it out:

"...at first viewing, I found myself enjoying it (and even posting on the boards in response to all the negative nancies) but on closer inspection, it was definitely the worst episode of the season."

This conversation is done, unless something about Jason Segal comes up.

BaronOne

[28]Oct 25, 2011

You are foolish. I'm done arguing with someone who can't even get his facts straight. Vincent Price sketch was about Gloria Swanson getting tickled by Liberace? First of all, that's not even what happened. Secondly, it's ONE quick part of the sketch where she sits on a hand. Not the WHOLE SKETCH that it is supposedly "centered on."

ANYWAY

Jason Segel will be a good host, I think. I'm pumped to see the new Muppets flick. I don't think he'll be as great as one of the best hosts in years, Jon Hamm, but I can see him being someone that is brought back a few times.

JustinRAn

[29]Oct 26, 2011
    Defend the Pat Finger sketch? Put that in place of Vincent Price's bit.

wichovettorazzi

[30]Oct 26, 2011
    • level: 5

JustinRAn wrote:
    You want some reasons?

2- Funny

13- The trailer didn't show every single joke in the film

16- No fat to cut (As opposed to the 125 minute long Bridesmaids)

So not true.

Funny? meh...

The trailer should have practically included a spoiler alert

And halfway the movie I was already going crazy. I wanted it to end so bad.

The rest is basically your opinion so I'm not gonna say anything about that.

wichovettorazzi

[31]Oct 26, 2011

I love how some of you guys talk (write) as if you were paid to criticize the show.

Anyway, a word from an avarage fan here: I relly like Jason Segel. Although I think HIMYM is almost the only good thing he's ever done. I didn't love Forgetting Sarah Marshall or I Love You Man (He was pretty good in both of them, though. The films, not that good), and I hated Bad Teacher.

However I love HIMYM, i watch it every week; and I can't wait to see The Muppets.

I hope he does a good job on SNL. He's got the comedy skills, he just needs to let em out.

BTW speaking of HIMYM i think they should bring back Neil Patrick Harris. Alyson Hannigan would be another descent suggestion for hosting. About Cobie Smulders and Josh Radnor, I've never seen them doing anything besides this show. Have you?

stellarchick86

[34]Oct 26, 2011
    • level: 32
    wichovettorazzi wrote:

I love how some of you guys talk (write) as if you were paid to criticize the show.

Lol I know right. Its just for fun..dont take it so seriously.

avmon

[35]Oct 26, 2011
    • level: 17
    wichovettorazzi wrote:

Anyway, a word from an avarage fan here: I relly like Jason Segel. Although I think HIMYM is almost the only good thing he's ever done. I didn't love Forgetting Sarah Marshall or I Love You Man (He was pretty good in both of them, though. The films, not that good), and I hated Bad Teacher.

However I love HIMYM, i watch it every week; and I can't wait to see The Muppets.

I hope he does a good job on SNL. He's got the comedy skills, he just needs to let em out.

BTW speaking of HIMYM i think they should bring back Neil Patrick Harris. Alyson Hannigan would be another descent suggestion for hosting. About Cobie Smulders and Josh Radnor, I've never seen them doing anything besides this show. Have you?

Ms. Hannigan would also become the second "Buffy" alum (after Sarah Michelle Gellar) to host if that were to pass. She'd also be the second (after Sean William Scott) from the American Pie movies to do so. By the way, she's also gonna be in American Reunion, with the entire cast from the first two movies in the series, next year...

wichovettorazzi

[36]Oct 26, 2011

avmon wrote:

By the way, she's also gonna be in American Reunion, with the entire cast from the first two movies in the series, next year...

I know! i'm so excited...

stellarchick86

[37]Oct 26, 2011
    I know we changed topics but I just had to say that I saw Bridesmaids tonight finally and I can understand how someone can not like it, mainly if they were 1. male and 2. didnt like Kirsten Wiig. 1. it was a little girlie at parts (especially the end) and 2. she was very Wiig-ish at times, especially the airplane scene, the one where she's trying to get the cops attention in the car and during the fancy bridal shower thing where she goes nuts. I thought it was good to watch once, it made me laugh (mainly from Melissa McCarthey, Maya Rudolph and the blonde chick with the 3 sons) but IDK if Id see it again.

BaronOne

[38]Oct 27, 2011

stellarchick86 wrote:
    I know we changed topics but I just had to say that I saw Bridesmaids tonight finally and I can understand how someone can not like it, mainly if they were 1. male and 2. didnt like Kirsten Wiig. 1. it was a little girlie at parts (especially the end) and 2. she was very Wiig-ish at times, especially the airplane scene, the one where she's trying to get the cops attention in the car and during the fancy bridal shower thing where she goes nuts. I thought it was good to watch once, it made me laugh (mainly from Melissa McCarthey, Maya Rudolph and the blonde chick with the 3 sons) but IDK if Id see it again.

I disagree about the male part. I think the movie was plenty raunchy enough for a lot of guys to enjoy it as well. It was a 'chick flick' (I hate that term) for guys and girls.

thecomedianky

[39]Oct 27, 2011
    • level: 19
    rishabhpb wrote:
    wichovettorazzi wrote:

I think Mosby once had a blink-and-you-miss-it role in an American Pie movie, or something like that. Cobie is going to be in the Avengers next year, and maybe her connection to Taran Killam (they have a daughter) could help her get a hosting stint. Unlikely though.
    Tour guide in Not Another Teen Movie.

stellarchick86

[40]Oct 27, 2011
    BaronOne wrote:

stellarchick86 wrote:

I disagree about the male part. I think the movie was plenty raunchy enough for a lot of guys to enjoy it as well. It was a 'chick flick' (I hate that term) for guys and girls.

Im not saying that it was a chickflick or not, Im saying I can understand why a guy may not like it, in the same sense that I can see a girl not liking Transformers or something like that.

HelloStuart

[41]Oct 27, 2011
    • level: 63
    wichovettorazzi wrote:

...and I'm the ringmaster of the chaos. Personally, this debate between Justin and Brendan has been kinda fun to read; it's been tense at points, but as long as it doesn't devolve to name-calling and character assassination I'll let it fly.

JustinRAn

[42]Oct 27, 2011
    I love how this bickering started when I said Bad Teacher was better than Bridesmaids.

stellarchick86

[43]Oct 27, 2011
    JustinRAn wrote:
    I love how this bickering started when I said Bad Teacher was better than Bridesmaids.

You instigator you lol

HelloStuart

[44]Nov 8, 2011
    • level: 63
    Any guesses on what songs F+TM might play?

JustinRAn

[45]Nov 8, 2011
    Don't know but I'm willing to bet the Muppets will cameo. Would be crazy if it was The Adult Muppets.