Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Jason Segel/Florence + The Machine (11/19/11)

Woodstein

[66]Nov 20, 2011
    • level: 14
    I felt it was a pretty solid episode, probably the best of the season since the Melissa McCarthy show. Only thing I really didn't like was the retirement party sketch that seemed to lack much a point and ended abruptly.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

83optics

[67]Nov 20, 2011
    • level: 6

learned:

* hey, have you heard about the new MUPPETS movie?

* romney raw > wwe raw

* ask me. ask me about my new kemper-pedic bed. well, ask me after i pound one out...pizza's ready

* musical guest: church and a strategically-placed mirror, i'm lovin' it

* miss piggy wasn't the only one who thought kermit rubbing his nipples was hot

TheDiamondDog

[68]Nov 20, 2011
    • level: 61

Never heard of Cobie Smulders.

I thought it was weak episode. There weren't many great skits. Some surprises, but nothing very spectacular.

I'm not a fan of F+TM, but damn can Florence sing. She is immensely talented.

stellarchick86

[69]Nov 20, 2011
    • level: 32
    I thought it was alright, but not because of Segel, just because some sketches seem to be repeats of older things (like the Regis replacement sketch of the ones where they have the cast do impressions of actors coming in to audition to be in a famous role in a movie). The cold open was fairly funny, the monologue was kind of lame with the muppets and the digital short wasnt that great until Segel came in, I thought. The retirement sketch was alright, Jon Huntsman was okay I guess and the family sketch with all the kissing always kind of makes me cringe a bit (though I always find them interesting to see how much farther they push it). The only sketch that I continuously laughed at was the Kempur-puedic bed one. Florence is very talented and has a great voice but I havent really been able to get into her stuff since 'Dog Days'. Id give this ep a 7/10.

HelloStuart

[70]Nov 20, 2011
    • level: 63

My thoughts:

+ I would say I enjoyed tonight's Mitt Romney cold open if it didn't feel like the "aw shucks, he's a Mormon" angle hadn't already been tapped into at least twice this season. I liked the "15-17% more edgy" line, though.

+ If you're going to promote a movie starring The Muppets, you may as well bring them onto the show. Jason's felt-fueled monologue was cute but light on genuine laughs.

+ What's with the sudden carbon-copying of sketches from ten years ago? First it was Kirsten Dunst's monologue, now it's the "Kathie Lee Replacement" sketch from Year 25. Solid impressions aside, I'm sure they could've found a more original slant.

+ I'm a fairly blue guy, but prior to "Kemper-Pedic" I don't think I've ever seen so many visual euphemisms for spanking the monkey in one place and at such a frantic speed. Not that it was a bad thing, of course.

+ I was a little wary when I first saw Gov. Jon Huntsman in the flesh, but he proved to be fairly self-deprecating. His commentary regarding his convienient "passion" for New Hampshire wouldn't have worked if the fledging presidential hopeful couldn't take a joke. There's little to no chance he'll win the GOP nomination --the Granite State will be his likely Waterloo-- but he was nice to have around while it lasted.

+ I guess we now know where Kermit the Frog stands on the issues...

+ Checkmate! "Seducing Women Through _____" is, by a few light years, the funniest Digital Short of the year thus far. There must be magic in that grainy video quality...

+ Great blackout sketches are few and far between on TV, which made "Andre the Giant Chooses an Ice Cream Flavor" all the more delightful. All you need is one impression, one self-explanatory set-up and you're as good as gold.

+ How weird was it to see Florence Welch not be weird? It was actually a little offputting seeing Flo with a conservative amount of makeup, a pretty dress in lieu of a flamboyant costume, and actually making eye contact with the audience. Glad to know she kept the Burundi drums, odd time signatures, and poorly mixed harp, though.

+ The last live show of an uneven November on SNL proved to be a high point of the season. Typically a cameo orgy can prove awkward and unwieldy, but tonight it barely guilded the lily. There was a barely a bad sketch in the show, either; only "Mitch's Retirement" and "Blue Jean Committee" came close to failing, but they both had fleeting yet redeemable qualities. Overall, Segal/Florence merited a 7 out of 10; the "Freaks & Geeks" alum was a lot of fun and I hope he hosts again either in Year 38 or soon after.

Glenn9999

[71]Nov 20, 2011
    • level: 2
    One of the better episodes to come along. There were definite low and high points (not giving a specific review), but overall better than others. The Digital Short (position of that usually indicates what I'm going to think of the show, it was rather late) was one of Samberg's better ones too. The Muppets were expected, but probably would have been better to play them in another way with Weekend Update rather than how they did.

Anyone catch the Olivia Wilde cameo in the Digital Short? Kind of a surprise. Though like some are saying elsewhere, probably not a good host candidate, at least until she proves she can do any comedy at all.

JustinRAn

[72]Nov 20, 2011
    • level: 12
    2 things Stu

1- You forgot that Dana Carvey 4 had Kathie Lee possibly replacing Regis
    2- I Should probably stop asking this, but what'll get cut for repeats

Liked
    - Cold Open
    - Monologue
    - Kelly Auditions
    - Kemper Pedic
    - Weekend Update: Really?
    - A New Jack Thanksgiving

What'll Get Cut
    - Red Flag
    - Weekend Update: Jon Huntsman
    - Retirement Party
    - Andre the Giant
    - The Blue Jean Committee

Personally, Next to Alec Baldwin, This may be the best episode this season.

stellarchick86

[73]Nov 20, 2011
    • level: 32
    Glenn9999 wrote:
    Anyone catch the Olivia Wilde cameo in the Digital Short? Kind of a surprise.

Ahh! Yea I did- I wasnt sure if it was her or if I was seeing things, lol, thanks.
    Glenn9999 wrote:
    Though like some are saying elsewhere, probably not a good host candidate, at least until she proves she can do any comedy at all.

Ive seen her in interviews and shes a pretty funny/lively person. I think she could pull it off. God knows theyve had worse hosts..

BaronOne

[74]Nov 21, 2011
    • level: 15

JustinRAn wrote:
    2 things Stu 1- You forgot that Dana Carvey 4 had Kathie Lee possibly replacing Regis 2

He meant that it had the same sketch format as the bit from Year 25. Multiple impressions one-by-one auditioning for the role. The one from Dana's episode last season was not really that similar to this one in terms of format.

BaronOne

[75]Nov 21, 2011
    • level: 15

It's up!

http://hotoffpress.wordpress.com/2011/11/21/snl-segel-florence/

HelloStuart

[76]Nov 21, 2011
    Actually, in hindsight "Retirement Party" really was terrible. The only saving grace --if you can call it that-- was seeing Jay in drag. Otherwise, the sketch didn't work at all.

As for what will be cut, "Party" seems like a shoe-in, but I'd also trim the cold open, "New Jack Thanksgiving," and "Blue Jean Committee."

thecomedianky

[77]Dec 3, 2011
    • level: 19
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

I thought it was weak episode. There weren't many great skits. Some surprises, but nothing very spectacular.

You don't watch HIMYM then.

TheDiamondDog

[78]Dec 4, 2011
    • level: 61

thecomedianky wrote:
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

Nope. Never have. Never interested in it.

thecomedianky

[79]Dec 4, 2011
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

thecomedianky wrote:
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

That's a shame, it's really funny.

avmon

[80]Dec 4, 2011
    • level: 16
    thecomedianky wrote:
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

thecomedianky wrote:
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

I agree, though I've missed the last five eps so I don't know how the latest developments have been handled...

HelloStuart

[81]Dec 4, 2011
    avmon wrote:
    thecomedianky wrote:
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

thecomedianky wrote:
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

I agree, though I've missed the last five eps so I don't know how the latest developments have been handled...

SPOILER ALERT: Barney wore a suit in all five episodes.

bry456

[82]Dec 5, 2011

Jason Segel on his week at SNL: http://blog.moviefone.com/2011/11/21/jason-segel-snl-muppets-interview/

drudager

[83]Dec 5, 2011
    • level: 13
    thecomedianky wrote:
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

thecomedianky wrote:
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

The day that show died to me is when they had Britney Spears on it. IMO the show started off alright, hoovered for a while, but then it slowly started declining and really wasn't that memorable, and then the Jump the Shark moment with Spear Britney as a cheap ratings stunt was enough to dismiss my interest. You could lump it in with other forgettable CBS sitcoms like Yes Dear, Still Standing & The King of Queens.

avmon

[84]Dec 5, 2011
    • level: 16
    drudager wrote:
    thecomedianky wrote:
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

thecomedianky wrote:
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

The day that show died to me is when they had Britney Spears on it. IMO the show started off alright, hoovered for a while, but then it slowly started declining and really wasn't that memorable, and then the Jump the Shark moment with Spear Britney as a cheap ratings stunt was enough to dismiss my interest. You could lump it in with other forgettable CBS sitcoms like Yes Dear, Still Standing & The King of Queens.
    I'm soooo glad you didn't mention "Two and a Half Men" or "The Big Bang Theory" as the "forgettable" CBS sitcoms. Chuck Lorre is their most successful producer they have there right now.

drudager

[85]Dec 5, 2011
    • level: 13
    avmon wrote:
    I'm soooo glad you didn't mention "Two and a Half Men" or "The Big Bang Theory" as the "forgettable" CBS sitcoms. Chuck Lorre is their most successful producer they have there right now.

I like the Big Bang Theory a lot, and I used to like T&HM back in the day, but the show got tiresome and annoying & I remembered why I didn't like Sheen in the first place: he's not funny, he came off as stiff & the ultra creepy uncle & he's basically playing himself. I know people love T&HM but I've been avoiding it like the plague since season 6. Honestly all the characters annoy the hell out of me, and the jokes are just bad, plus the show lost a lot of its charm once that fat kid turned into a pimply ogre. I'd say once Rose left, that's when the show went downhill.