Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Jennifer Lawrence/The Lumineers (1/19/13)

HelloStuart

[1]Dec 16, 2012
    • level: 63

After the early start last year, can you believe we'll have to wait over a month for the next show?

I'm sure thecomedianky is pumped for J-Law, but we know this show will be bittersweet as well.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

JustinRAn

[2]Dec 16, 2012
    • level: 12
    6 Degrees:

She was in X-Men: First Class with Rose Byrne who was in Bridesmaids with Kristen who was in Adventureland with Bill Hader.

TheDiamondDog

[3]Dec 17, 2012
    • level: 61

I expect a Hunger Games parody.

Yeah, the month wait was a surprise. Maybe because they also had Thursday Night Live? Last year, they only had like 2 weeks off.

Ruckhappy

[5]Dec 17, 2012
    • level: 8

TheDiamondDog wrote:
    Yeah, the month wait was a surprise. Maybe because they also had Thursday Night Live? Last year, they only had like 2 weeks off.

A combination of the heavy fall schedule, the decision to focus on mostly new sketches, post-election blues, Hurricane Sandy, integrating the new cast, etc., taken altogether, I suspect, is the reason. If you watch closely, the show had been straining at the seams the previous three episodes. Lots of production glitches, the sketch premises got more and more basic, etc. I've been expecting that they'd come back after the holidays with some degree of mid-season revamping, and the longer break seems a sign of that.

Psy4potato

[6]Dec 17, 2012
    • level: 10
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

I expect a Hunger Games parody.

It'd be great if they got Sophia Vergara to cameo and reprise her 'hunger games' character even though she died her sketch!

I'm hoping for some more Kate in this episode! Feel like we got the raw end of the deal with her the past few episodes!

Hennes81

[7]Dec 18, 2012
    • level: 5

Even though it seems to be a speculation of boxofficemojo, this might say a lot about how important SNL is to the movie distributors:

boxofficemojo wrote:
    In 10th place, Silver Linings Playbook was off just three percent to $2.1 million. The movie was once again in 371 locations, which is the level that it's been at for the past four weekends. The acclaimed David O. Russell romantic comedy has grossed just under $17 million; with the upcoming Christmas traffic jam at theaters, it's likely that The Weinstein Company waits until around Oscar nominations (Jan. 10) and Jennifer Lawrence's Saturday Night Live hosting gig (Jan. 19) to push the movie in to nationwide release.

Source

HelloStuart

[8]Jan 6, 2013
    Since Adam Levine's booking is overshadowing the next live show, let us shift the discussion back to J-Law. Who is liking her Oscar chances at this point?

Ruckhappy

[9]Jan 8, 2013
    • level: 8

Yeah, wow, she's sure shot to the front-runners for Best Actress. I haven't seen Silver Linings Playbook so I can't judge. Breakthrough performance or sneaky finagling of the Oscars judging process by the Weinsteins yet again? When was the last time that SNL had a hot-runner for an Oscar host so soon before the ceremony?

The way things look now, she's probably gonna come steaming into 8H with a Tina/Amy-hosted GG hot in her hands, with all the attendant hype. I like her but the turn of events surprises the hell out of me.

avmon

[10]Jan 8, 2013
    • level: 16

Ruckhappy wrote:

Yeah, wow, she's sure shot to the front-runners for Best Actress. I haven't seen Silver Linings Playbook so I can't judge. Breakthrough performance or sneaky finagling of the Oscars judging process by the Weinsteins yet again? When was the last time that SNL had a hot-runner for an Oscar host so soon before the ceremony?

The way things look now, she's probably gonna come steaming into 8H with a Tina/Amy-hosted GG hot in her hands, with all the attendant hype. I like her but the turn of events surprises the hell out of me.

The only one I can think of right now is Salma Hayek for her role in Freida in 2003 though I don't remember her being the frontrunner for Best Actress...

Edited on 01/08/2013 11:17am
    Edited 2 total times.

HelloStuart

[11]Jan 9, 2013
    avmon wrote:

Ruckhappy wrote:

The only one I can think of right now is Salma Hayek for her role in Freida in 2003 though I don't remember her being the frontrunner for Best Actress...

That was totally Kidman's year.

warqueen

[12]Jan 14, 2013
    • level: 5

Well, this will make boy // adult men fans of Jennifer Lawrence happy: http://www.upi.com/Entertainment_News/Movies/2013/01/11/Jennifer-Lawrence-and-Nicholas-Hoult-end-2-year-romance/UPI-71371357940669/

But they may want to hold off popping the champagne (and anything else they might be popping) for the moment: http://www.upi.com/blog/2013/01/14/Bradley-Cooper-denies-Jennifer-Lawrence-dating-rumors-I-could-literally-be-her-father/7871358188621/

Anyway here is a clip of Kentucky-born & raised Jenny-Law's Golden Globe speech: http://www.upi.com/blog/2013/01/14/Watch-Jennifer-Lawrences-Golden-Globes-acceptance-speech-I-beat-Meryl/5611358171864/

Silver Linings Playbook besides getting Best Picture and Best Director Oscar nominations, in addition to achieving the rare feat of being nominated in all four acting categories, the first time since Reds in 1981.

TheDiamondDog

[13]Jan 15, 2013
    • level: 61

warqueen wrote:

Well, this will make boy // adult men fans of Jennifer Lawrence happy: http://www.upi.com/Entertainment_News/Movies/2013/01/11/Jennifer-Lawrence-and-Nicholas-Hoult-end-2-year-romance/UPI-71371357940669/

But they may want to hold off popping the champagne (and anything else they might be popping) for the moment: http://www.upi.com/blog/2013/01/14/Bradley-Cooper-denies-Jennifer-Lawrence-dating-rumors-I-could-literally-be-her-father/7871358188621/

I am not complaining about the first part. Hoult is cute as hell.

Isn't Cooper with Zoe Saldana still though?

thecomedianky

[14]Jan 19, 2013
    • level: 19
    Excited for this broadcast!

thecomedianky

[16]Jan 19, 2013
    Oscar nominees. Boom! Roasted!

danharr

[17]Jan 19, 2013
    • level: 45

Pierce Morgan did nothing for me and the Tommy Lee Jones thing was odd enough to get a chuckle from me. I don't do Starbucks often so I missed their devolution into ghetto work staff.

danharr

[18]Jan 19, 2013

I wished I pooped little pellets...

Royce7815

[21]Jan 19, 2013
    • level: 4

I got mad i thought my TV was messing up again until i heard the audience

danharr

[23]Jan 19, 2013

and the expected Hunger Games bit it was mildly amusing. As to the Hobbit bit slightly better and the diner I enjoyed Lawrence's crazy eyes. This is going to be a meh episode strap in and get ready people.

thecomedianky

[24]Jan 19, 2013
    Hobbit!

layton2012

[25]Jan 19, 2013
    • level: 2
    Been a meh episode so far, and I don't even think it is J-Laws fault. The writing just has been off, the diner sketch while also good ended too soon, and the Hunger Games sketch felt like a missed opportunity. I did enjoy the opening mologue, though I only really like kate Mckinnons part. The starbucks bit was great too.