Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Jim Parsons/Beck (3/1/14)

Royce7815

[21]Mar 1, 2014
    • level: 4

The only thing funny about the bird bible was the price

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

danharr

[22]Mar 1, 2014
    • level: 45

Dance Floor killer was funny. 12 years as a slave auditions was good as well.

Royce7815

[23]Mar 1, 2014
    • level: 4

danharr wrote:

Dance Floor killer was funny. 12 years as a slave auditions was good as well.

I feel like Taran may have been involved in writing the 12 years sketch maybe went off how he and other actors were feeling auditioning for the movie.

danharr

[24]Mar 1, 2014

Had no ideal who Colin Jost was so far not much to say about him as the cohost of WU. He did nothing special right now he's working out his straight man role I'm guessing.

danharr

[25]Mar 1, 2014

Dinner house theater was funny.

JustinRAn

[26]Mar 1, 2014
    • level: 12
    Wow, They actually got someone worse at Update than Cecily started out. But on the plus side, Cecily actually got funny jokes this week.

danharr

[27]Mar 1, 2014

That's what I was trying to say but liquor's drunkened me... Anyway crap your pants business man was funny. Not a bad night I wasn't disappointed at all.

JustinRAn

[28]Mar 1, 2014
    You act like It's over? There's a good 10 minutes left.

danharr

[29]Mar 1, 2014

Oops almost missed one the cowboy wedding was so odd I found it funny like I said not a bad night.

danharr

[30]Mar 1, 2014

JustinRAn wrote:
    You act like It's over? There's a good 10 minutes left.

Like I said liquors drunkened me I missed the last sketch at the time of my posting.

JustinRAn

[31]Mar 1, 2014
    I felt like either Colin isn't set-in yet as a head writer or the ideas were bad but they underused Jim like crazy. I don't know if it was his choice or the writers but he was clearly holding back. Jim and Taran did slip up a few times tonight.

Interesting to see what Ruck Happy thought of the show.

Hennes81

[32]Mar 4, 2014
    • level: 6

JM5000 wrote:

Episode Predictions:

Weekend Update: We are introduced to Colin Jost, get some after-commentary about the Olympics...And what better guest to lead off this new era of Update than the one who's only been on twice but has already become a clear favorite? Jebidiah gives his scathing reviews on this year's Oscar nominees...

That prediction was dead on target. Congrats.

A few skits worked for me (Monologue, 12 years auditions, Investigation Discovery) but the only things I really laughed to were Jebidiah Atkinson and Crap your pants.

After they were of for four months I hoped for better material but at least everything was original (besides WU). Colin seemed very nervous but I hope he will be more confident before the season ends.

I also that they had some use for Kyle, Beck and even Mike O'Brien.

JM5000

[33]Mar 4, 2014
    • level: 8

Hennes81 wrote:

JM5000 wrote:

Episode Predictions:

Weekend Update: We are introduced to Colin Jost, get some after-commentary about the Olympics...And what better guest to lead off this new era of Update than the one who's only been on twice but has already become a clear favorite? Jebidiah gives his scathing reviews on this year's Oscar nominees...

I pretty much figured that it was the perfect time to bring him back...Of course, they still had Shaq and Barkley, another recent breakout guest, up first, and Jebidiah branched out to big movies from the past, but yeah, close enough...

I agree that this episode had its moments, and Parsons put his best foot forward with the material he was given...But it was still mostly weak material...I've talked before about the "don't-assume-the-best" joke, and I actually saw several examples of the type of sketch that they love to do that the joke primarily comes from...The one where they cast the host (usually a male host) as a character who gets humiliated at every turn from one stupid joke, and everyone seems to make smart-alecky jokes at his expense, and he comes off as an Average Joe Straight Man who's just trying to defend what little dignity he has, but the sketch insists on crapping on him in every way possible (hence the "don't-assume-the-best" joke). It's an example of "Kafka Komedy", which can be very hard to do right, and very rarely does SNL's attempts at it succeed. Two examples from this show were the Elevator sketch and the Murder Mystery sketch.

There's also the sketch that's rather similar in nature, with the host playing an Average Joe, making an ass of himself, getting ridiculed by everyone around him, except that the host is the clear source of the comedy where everyone else in the sketch is the straight man...And it's still a stupid, one-note sketch...Case in point: The Cowboy Birthday sketch.

This episode may have mostly had original material, but those annoying sketches I just named are fine examples of original sketches that don't FEEL original...They brought my opinion of this episode and the host down significantly...To me, this was the third-weakest show behind Willis and Hutcherson...

Beck was great though...

JustinRAn

[34]Mar 4, 2014
    Hennes81 wrote:

JM5000 wrote:

Episode Predictions:

A few skits worked for me (Monologue, 12 years auditions, Investigation Discovery) but the only things I really laughed to were Jebidiah Atkinson and Crap your pants.

After they were of for four months I hoped for better material but at least everything was original (besides WU). Colin seemed very nervous but I hope he will be more confident before the season ends.

I also that they had some use for Kyle, Beck and even Mike O'Brien.

I think you mean 4 weeks.

Hennes81

[35]Mar 4, 2014
    • level: 6

JustinRAn wrote:

Of course. I love the Olympics but even I would consider 4 months to be too long.

JustinRAn

[36]Mar 4, 2014
    Hennes81 wrote:

JustinRAn wrote:

Of course. I love the Olympics but even I would consider 4 months to be too long.

4 hours was too long for me

avmon

[37]Mar 8, 2014
    • level: 17
    Just watched the whole thing on Hulu. They showed all the promos for the show in between of which I liked the "laugh track" and the "dancing on ice" ones the best. Cold Open with Jim playing Weir was funny enough. Liked the singing monologue of Jim saying "I'm Not that Guy" complete with Urkel, The Fonz, and Bill Cosby wearing even more sweaters! "Bird Bible" went on too long. Parsons playing Peter Pan to Ada's "Tonka" was another amusing one. Great deadpan for Jim on the "Dance Killer" sketch. "12 Years a Slave Auditions" brought the edge of white actors mostly afraid of upsetting their opposite color-counterpoints. Liked Beck's first number. "Weekend Update" was funny enough with Colin Jost doing okay his first time. Thought Jim was funny not getting the "oversexed comic relief" role. And actually liked the "Spotlight! Kids" on the Oscars. Beck's second number was fine. The elevator with Jim having a smelly accident was not-too-funny til the end though it was also predictable. The "Cowboy Birthday" sketch was the only one I wasn't too crazy about. All in all, I enjoyed this one and if he returns, I'd be overjoyed!

JustinRAn

[38]Mar 8, 2014
    Stu, Feel free to review this episode anytime you want.

HelloStuart

[39]Mar 8, 2014
    • level: 63
    This has been a trying year on my end. The first half of the season was dominated by family health issues, and I've been so busy with other things lately that it took me a week to sit down and watch Parsons/Beck. I try to keep personal things out of the forum, so lay off the snark Justin; more than anyone else I'm frustrated in myself. On top of that my DVR didn't anticipate the hockey game running long, so I ended up watching the last 10 minutes online. At long last (again) my thoughts:

+ That "Ellen" cold opening had way too much going on. Where most SNL talk show parodies in recent years exist to peddle topical satire, this sketch couldn't decide whether the focus was to hone Kate's spot-on Degeneres impression or lampoon the incessant Oscar hype of the past week. In fact, there was hardly a sliver of focus until Jim appeared as figure skating legend Johnny Weir, random accessorizing and all. If Weir and Ellen spent more time discussing Russia invading the Ukraine and less on silly sight gags I would have been more impressed.

+ "The Bird Bible" was way too dry to really work. The whole thing felt like an in-joke in POB's head.

+ Not unlike "Hip Hop Classics" six weeks earlier, "The Killer Files" was a blend of live and pre-recorded segments. I enjoyed this --in fact, it was probably the strongest sketch of the night-- but is this going to become a regular thing?

+ Much like the first week of "Late Night with Seth Meyers," the retooled Weekend Update shows promise but it's clear this is a work in progress. Tonight's news break mostly played it safe for the sake of the new guy; Colin was eager but also a little skittish. (Also, WU has a new producer. Howdy, Pete Schultz!) Cecily and her 13 episodes' experience had the upper hand, but she's still finding her own groove. On the bright side, Shaq and Sir Charles' (JP, KT) latest basketball commentary took a delightfully surreal, character-driven bent, and the workmanlike Taran delivered another solid spot from ol' Jeb Atkinson. His latest all-encompassing takedown, focused squarely on Oscar nominees past and present, was a showcase for Killam's knack for staring down a camera and making the most of a gaffe.

+ Another show, another hit and miss "Spotlightz" sketch. Vanessa is still charming as the manic Laura, and there was a great little moment when Taran kissed Aidy, but other than that... why?

+ I appreciate that the "Mr. Conrad" sketch saw an obvious poop joke and mostly took the high road. It didn't really make it funny, though.

+ I've been a Beck fan since high school, so it was nice to see one of SNL's most dependable musical guests of the late 90s/early 2000s back in the house. He also hasn't released a new album in 5 1/2 years --his last project was released as a songbook-- so I was clammering to hear some new stuff, period. He didn't disappoint: the ballad "Blue Moon" will not alienate anyone who loved Sea Change, and the string section-driven "Wave" had a lilting, ethereal quality that was almost haunting.

+ Yikes. This was the first real transitional episode in a transitional season, and it barely got off the ground. It was obvious by the second commercial break that Seth's leaving made a bigger impact than Army, Fred, and Suds' departures combined, and the awkwardness was almost transparent. I'll cut Colin some slack --Lorne picked the right guy, but he hasn't found his sea legs yet-- but SNL's turnover carousel has made one personnel change too many. Jim Parsons was sufficent amid the chaos, but his escape from the three-camera sitcom comfort zone wasn't smooth, either. Despite some surprise heavy lifting from Aidy and POB, when you have repertory and featured players struggling for airtime, the whole show suffers.

4/10

JustinRAn

[40]Mar 8, 2014
    Sorry Stu, I didn't know.