Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Jimmy Fallon/JustinTimberlake (12/21/13)

  • Avatar of warqueen

    warqueen

    [1]Nov 21, 2013
    • member since: 09/23/05
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 323

    http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=840246&ocid=rr-tv-news

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JM5000

    JM5000

    [2]Nov 21, 2013
    • member since: 11/14/07
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 422

    A little predictable since both these guys have performed for Christmas specials before...(Wonder if they'll find some way to revive the Barry Gibb Talk Show even after Robin's death...)


    I can definitely see the logic with Fallon, since he's taking over the Tonight Show, and it will be kind of a passing-of-the-torch special with him and Seth...(Plus, after he rocked his last appearance...)


    As for Timberlake, let's face it, he's performing for this show purely because SNL loves him...Never mind the mixed reviews his new album got...I mean, yes, he is always a great performer, but this is still predictable...(Though it will be interesting seeing him as JUST a musical guest for the first time, not counting when he was with N'Sync...)


    I hope the second half of this season shows a little more variety with its music...They've been all pop-and-indie and not enough metal...


    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JustinRAn

    JustinRAn

    [3]Nov 22, 2013
    • member since: 12/30/09
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 1,246
    I want to see Jared's Room and Jeffrey's

    Maybe another Mirror thing where Justin does his Jimmy impression to him?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [4]Nov 22, 2013
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,037
    JM5000 wrote:

    I hope the second half of this season shows a little more variety with its music...They've been all pop-and-indie and not enough metal...


    What metal? There hasn't been a metal act on SNL since SOAD in Year 30.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JM5000

    JM5000

    [5]Nov 22, 2013
    • member since: 11/14/07
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 422

    HelloStuart wrote:
    JM5000 wrote:


    I hope the second half of this season shows a little more variety with its music...They've been all pop-and-indie and not enough metal...


    What metal? There hasn't been a metal act on SNL since SOAD in Year 30.


    Exactly...


    But to be more specific, I mean more alternative and maybe some punk, just to mix things up a bit. Indie is always welcome, but when we have excessive teeny-bopper music, it just isn't enough on its own...After they've exhausted their, if you will, "wussy" music, it's nice to bring some music in from the opposite end of the spectrum...And indie, and even classic rock, isn't quite far enough across that spectrum, and they shouldn't always rely on them to please the anti-pop crowd...(And to be fair, I'm not really with the anti-pop crowd...I just hate hearing nothing but pop music with some occasional indie and classic rock bands...)


    In other words, I'm a huge metal/punk/alternative nut, and I really wish the show would book more of those types of musicians, especially after the likes of Bieber and One Direction...


    Of course, like I said in another thread, they should be careful not to have another "Fear incident".


    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Ruckhappy

    Ruckhappy

    [6]Nov 22, 2013
    • member since: 08/03/11
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 654

    It's been fifteen years since Metallica last played SNL. You'd think they've have had them back since then. But then, they've had Rihanna on a million times and never once Jurassic Five. Never had Primus, Jon Spencer, Reverend Horton Heat...they've been major-label whores re. booking MG's for years. I blame Marci Klein.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JM5000

    JM5000

    [7]Nov 22, 2013
    • member since: 11/14/07
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 422

    Ruckhappy wrote:


    It's been fifteen years since Metallica last played SNL. You'd think they've have had them back since then. But then, they've had Rihanna on a million times and never once Jurassic Five. Never had Primus, Jon Spencer, Reverend Horton Heat...they've been major-label whores re. booking MG's for years. I blame Marci Klein.



    Hell, I'm surprised Metallica never performed on the show before that one little appearance...There was a time I was almost certain they performed "Enter the Sandman" on the show, but I guess not...


    I'm not one to blame anybody, but I agree that the over-reliance on certain guests needs to cease, even for the good ones like Kings of Leon...


    I'm still dreading the possibility of a new Rihanna album...I mean, if SNL wants to book her for every single album she drops, guess what! She'll have a record for performing on this show for ten or so straight seasons! They need to learn to ignore the ones who just aren't worth bringing back...I've enjoyed Rihanna overall, but she's played out now...


    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Hennes81

    Hennes81

    [8]Nov 23, 2013
    • member since: 05/07/09
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 260

    HelloStuart wrote:
    What metal? There hasn't been a metal act on SNL since SOAD in Year 30.


    I'm not an expert and I'm not interested in regular metal acts (I like those pop acts. Yes I said it Laughing) but I would have described Korn in Season 31 as Metal as well. Also Tenacious D's "The Metal" should be counted as a metal song - even though the band is not a metal act.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [9]Nov 28, 2013
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,037
    Hennes81 wrote:

    HelloStuart wrote:
    What metal? There hasn't been a metal act on SNL since SOAD in Year 30.


    I'm not an expert and I'm not interested in regular metal acts (I like those pop acts. Yes I said it Laughing) but I would have described Korn in Season 31 as Metal as well. Also Tenacious D's "The Metal" should be counted as a metal song - even though the band is not a metal act.


    You make a good point about KoRn. At the same time, that subgenre doesn't sell as many CDs (or downloads) as it used to. A lot of hipsters confuse "pure" metal with noise-pop (like Sleigh Bells) and shoegaze (Yuck, for example). I wouldn't mind seeing Deafheaven on SNL, but that's never going to happen.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Hennes81

    Hennes81

    [10]Dec 16, 2013
    • member since: 05/07/09
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 260

    Since they booked Will Ferrell for Darells last show and Ben Affleck for Bills last one (both shouldn't be coincidental picks) it shouldn't be hard to figure out why Jimmy is hosting this night.


    My early predictions: Jimmy will participate in WU and Amy will cameo for a Really!? segment. Additionaly they might have some other former (Update) anchors like Chevy, Norm or Brian Williams. (Maybe a 6 person WU joke-off including Cecily?)


    Since Jacob and Drunk Uncle already said goodbye to Seth I don't see which character has been saved for Seths last episode. Unless Stefon will cameo of course.


    Edited on 12/16/2013 8:04am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Ruckhappy

    Ruckhappy

    [11]Dec 16, 2013
    • member since: 08/03/11
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 654

    Seth is supposedly staying on until the Olympics, so I suspect that any big goodbyes will be saved until then. Also consider that this show is airing quite close to Christmas, so stars & SNL alums who don't live in New York will be less likely to fly in to do cameos.


    That being said, they will probably gum up the show with cameos. I mean, if they dragged in Stallone and De Niro, who had no connection with Goodman, just to do that Three Wise Guys sketch, how far will they go with the gimmicks to gin up the Christmas show? Considering how the ratings are sagging, pretty damn far is the likely answer.


    De Niro...I still can't believe they brought in that perennial SNL stiff. There's a trivia question for you, Stu, although I suspect it's been asked before. Who is the worst host who has hosted more than twice? It has to be De Niro.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JM5000

    JM5000

    [12]Dec 16, 2013
    • member since: 11/14/07
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 422

    Ruckhappy wrote:


    Seth is supposedly staying on until the Olympics, so I suspect that any big goodbyes will be saved until then. Also consider that this show is airing quite close to Christmas, so stars & SNL alums who don't live in New York will be less likely to fly in to do cameos.


    That being said, they will probably gum up the show with cameos. I mean, if they dragged in Stallone and De Niro, who had no connection with Goodman, just to do that Three Wise Guys sketch, how far will they go with the gimmicks to gin up the Christmas show? Considering how the ratings are sagging, pretty damn far is the likely answer.


    De Niro...I still can't believe they brought in that perennial SNL stiff. There's a trivia question for you, Stu, although I suspect it's been asked before. Who is the worst host who has hosted more than twice? It has to be De Niro.



    Worse than Lohan?


    But yes, I've been watching every episode on Netflix, and I made it up to finishing Season 30 (for some reason, 31-onward just disappeared from the list). De Niro has the curse of being pigeon-holed into, basically, the wise guy role. Probably the worst part was having him rip off Christopher Walken's memorable role in the Pranksters sketch...It was almost word-for-word the same, but lacked the hilarious delivery Walken had...


    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JustinRAn

    JustinRAn

    [13]Dec 17, 2013
    • member since: 12/30/09
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 1,246
    JM5000 wrote:

    Ruckhappy wrote:


    Seth is supposedly staying on until the Olympics, so I suspect that any big goodbyes will be saved until then. Also consider that this show is airing quite close to Christmas, so stars & SNL alums who don't live in New York will be less likely to fly in to do cameos.


    That being said, they will probably gum up the show with cameos. I mean, if they dragged in Stallone and De Niro, who had no connection with Goodman, just to do that Three Wise Guys sketch, how far will they go with the gimmicks to gin up the Christmas show? Considering how the ratings are sagging, pretty damn far is the likely answer.


    De Niro...I still can't believe they brought in that perennial SNL stiff. There's a trivia question for you, Stu, although I suspect it's been asked before. Who is the worst host who has hosted more than twice? It has to be De Niro.



    Worse than Lohan?


    But yes, I've been watching every episode on Netflix, and I made it up to finishing Season 30 (for some reason, 31-onward just disappeared from the list). De Niro has the curse of being pigeon-holed into, basically, the wise guy role. Probably the worst part was having him rip off Christopher Walken's memorable role in the Pranksters sketch...It was almost word-for-word the same, but lacked the hilarious delivery Walken had...




    Lohan at least borderline has a personality when hosting. De Niro is just De Niro in everything. He's like Walken without the Comic Timing. Didn't Beth McCarthy even said that DeNiro was tough as a host?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Hennes81

    Hennes81

    [14]Dec 17, 2013
    • member since: 05/07/09
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 260

    JM5000 wrote:


    Ruckhappy wrote:


    De Niro...I still can't believe they brought in that perennial SNL stiff. There's a trivia question for you, Stu, although I suspect it's been asked before. Who is the worst host who has hosted more than twice? It has to be De Niro.



    Worse than Lohan?



    There was once the question of worst host who hosted more than once and Stu wrote Karen Black and DeNiro. (I didn't remember; I had to look it upWink)


    For me the worst hosts with multiple shows would be DeNiro, Charles Barkley and James Franco (but I'm not familiar with Ms Black or most of the shows before season 30)

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JM5000

    JM5000

    [15]Dec 17, 2013
    • member since: 11/14/07
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 422

    Hennes81 wrote:


    JM5000 wrote:


    Ruckhappy wrote:


    De Niro...I still can't believe they brought in that perennial SNL stiff. There's a trivia question for you, Stu, although I suspect it's been asked before. Who is the worst host who has hosted more than twice? It has to be De Niro.



    Worse than Lohan?



    There was once the question of worst host who hosted more than once and Stu wrote Karen Black and DeNiro. (I didn't remember; I had to look it upWink)


    For me the worst hosts with multiple shows would be DeNiro, Charles Barkley and James Franco (but I'm not familiar with Ms Black or most of the shows before season 30)



    I'd add Teri Garr to the list...Her first appearance was "meh"...Her second appearance was...alright...And her third appearance was "meh" again...

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Ruckhappy

    Ruckhappy

    [16]Dec 17, 2013
    • member since: 08/03/11
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 654

    JustinRAN and I are in rare agreement: Lohan, overall, in her four appearances wasn't awful. She was even kinda good in the Disney Princesses short in her last appearance.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JustinRAn

    JustinRAn

    [17]Dec 19, 2013
    • member since: 12/30/09
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 1,246
    I liked the Psychic awards show as well.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JM5000

    JM5000

    [18]Dec 21, 2013
    • member since: 11/14/07
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 422


    Episode Predictions:


    Cold Opening: The Barry Gibb Talk Show, where the ghost of Robin Gibb does the "Live From New York" line with his brother.


    Monologue: Fallon is haunted by the Hosts of Tonight Show Past (Dana Carvey reprising his Johnny Carson impression), Present (Jay Leno as himself) and Future (someone weird like one of the new cast members). This would be kind of a reference to Baldwin's Christmas special monologue in 98, when Fallon played the Ghost of SNL Hosts Future and predicted hosting the Christmas special in 2012 (which is probably the one reason they actually booked him two years ago...) Throw in as many cameos as possible...


    Sketches: "Bring it on down to XBox-ville!" Also bring back one or two Fallon characters, and some other recurring sketches...


    Weekend Update: I resurface my Stefon prediction...And Seth gets a big sendoff, complete with a big line-up of former Update anchors...Fallon (because he's hosting), Poehler (Seth's former partner), Fey (to complete the chain), and maybe even some older anchors like Chevy Chase, Jane Curtin and Norm MacDonald...Also, throw in whoever is going to replace Seth (probably either Mike O'Brien or Brooks Wheelan).


    Musical Performances: The last few musical guests have been very unpredictable, so I'm not even going to bother making any guesses...But usually Timberlake does the fun little dance song first and then the emotional song second...But we'll just see...


    Cameos: Just about anyone who's ever made a name on this show, whether they be a former cast member or respected host...Specifically anyone who was already named...


    Also: Something tells me Timberlake will serve as a co-host tonight...I mean, his history with Fallon is the only worthy reason they could have booked him...(I'm still angry they didn't book someone awesome like Daft Punk...)


    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JustinRAn

    JustinRAn

    [19]Dec 21, 2013
    • member since: 12/30/09
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 1,246
    My personal wishes:

    Z-105 with Seth Meyers (Talking about him taking over Late Night with alot of anti Jimmy jokes)
    Top O' The Morning?
    Maybe Jarret
    And maybe him singing song parodies


    But overall, I want it like his last show where it's not like Kristen Wiig hosting where 5/12 of the show was her characters.

    I don't want another Season Greetings!!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of avmon

    avmon

    [20]Dec 21, 2013
    • member since: 09/07/06
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 1,596
    "Bring it on down to Wrapville!"
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.