Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Jimmy Fallon/JustinTimberlake (12/21/13)

JustinRAn

[81]Dec 26, 2013
    • level: 12

I would've rather seen Mulaney do update and be head writer.

And Stu, Even though your probably right, I wish Twin Bed win instead of Boy Dance Party.

Edited on 12/27/2013 4:41pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

HelloStuart

[82]Dec 27, 2013
    • level: 63
    JustinRAn wrote:

I would've rather seen Mulaney do update and be head writer.

And Stu, Even though your probably right, I wish Twin Bed win instead of Boy Dance Party.

Claire Mulaney? She's a friend, but I don't think she's TV-ready yet. Plus, they already had a two-woman tandem in the mid-2000s.

When Seth leaves, Cecily will almost certainly anchor solo.

Ruckhappy

[83]Dec 28, 2013
    • level: 9

He means John Mulaney, which theoretically might have been possible if Fox hadn't picked up his sitcom but I suspect was never a realistic option.

I think people are making too much of the idea that there's a pattern of SNL promoting someone from the writing staff to co-host Update. Seth was already a member of the cast, and Jimmy specifically wanted asked for Tina as his co-host. According to him, he told Lorne that he would only do Update a part of a team with Tina.

JustinRAn

[84]Dec 28, 2013
    • level: 12
    I just think Cecily is too talented to just do Update, Unless she can do Update and be in sketches.

Ruck is right, I was talking about John Mulaney.

HelloStuart

[85]Dec 29, 2013
    Ruckhappy wrote:

He means John Mulaney, which theoretically might have been possible if Fox hadn't picked up his sitcom but I suspect was never a realistic option.

I think people are making too much of the idea that there's a pattern of SNL promoting someone from the writing staff to co-host Update. Seth was already a member of the cast, and Jimmy specifically wanted asked for Tina as his co-host. According to him, he told Lorne that he would only do Update a part of a team with Tina.

Mulaney the Elder left after Year 37; it never would've happened anyway.

Woodstein

[86]Jan 3, 2014
    • level: 14
    I think the speculation about Mulaney being on WU was less because he was a writer, and more because he had a background in stand-up (much like all of the anchors from Dennis Miller to Colin Quinn did), and made a few appearances during the segment.

HelloStuart

[87]Jan 6, 2014
    Woodstein wrote:
    I think the speculation about Mulaney being on WU was less because he was a writer, and more because he had a background in stand-up (much like all of the anchors from Dennis Miller to Colin Quinn did), and made a few appearances during the segment.

Agreed. There was nothing to indicate John had a knack for topical humor. If any late-2000s writer was going to take over Update, it would have been Baze. Alas, he's now head writer for "Late Night"...