Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Jon Hamm/Michael Buble (1/30/10)

pillowpc2001

[1]Jan 18, 2010
    • level: 5

With the way things have been going, I'm wondering if they'll bring Jon Hamm's John Ham back...

(I know I don't have the right "e" in Michael Bublé's name, but it wouldn't let me put it in the title...)

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

HelloStuart

[2]Jan 18, 2010
    • level: 63
    Thank you for starting this thread. The other Hamm thread, the one that was launched a month ago, mutated into the Barkley/Keys EDT.

I'm not a Buble fan, but I'm keeping an open mind.

TheDiamondDog

[3]Jan 18, 2010
    • level: 61
    I was wondering, when Hamm was rumored to be the host in 2009, was Buble the listed musical guest, or was it someone else?

JustinRAn

[4]Jan 18, 2010
    • level: 12
    I Don't Know, I didn't like the Last Time He Hosted:

Jon Hamm's John Ham
    Pat Finger
    Jeff Montgomery
    2 A-Holes

If they don't do a Mad Men Reference, I'll be fine.

HelloStuart

[5]Jan 18, 2010
    TheDiamondDog wrote:
    I was wondering, when Hamm was rumored to be the host in 2009, was Buble the listed musical guest, or was it someone else?

The thread was launched back in early December, but it was speculated that Mike and "The Hammster" would be on the 1/9 show, not 1/30.

bry456

[8]Jan 30, 2010
    • level: 19
    Maybe we can finally see that the serially cut Digital Short, "Traveling with PJ" tonight and I also want to know if they'll try "Naked Court" again for this broadcast.
    Edited on 01/30/2010 12:47pm

HelloStuart

[9]Jan 30, 2010
    bry456 wrote:
    Maybe we can finally see that the serially cut Digital Short, "Traveling with PJ" tonight and I also want to know if they'll try "Naked Court" again for this broadcast.

That's a couple of maybes.

I'm surprised that we're T-minus six hours before the show and we only have nine comments on this thread. Normally by now we have at least 30.

Hirundine

[10]Jan 30, 2010
    • level: 26
    I'm rather enjoying this one so far, though everything seems funnier after 10:30 PM.

pillowpc2001

[11]Jan 30, 2010
    • level: 5
    pillowpc2001 wrote:

With the way things have been going, I'm wondering if they'll bring Jon Hamm's John Ham back

Looks like I was right, sort of...

HelloStuart

[12]Jan 30, 2010

My thoughts:

+ Something about tonight's cold open reminded me of the old "State of the Union" sketches Dan Aykroyd did as Jimmy Carter 30-plus years ago. I could probably pinpoint this resemblance on the usage of actual images of the house and senate listening to President Obama's speech as reaction shots. Sure, I could accuse James Downey of repeating himself -if he wrote this sketch, of course- but that would negate putting a new wrinkle on an old gag.

+ On an unrelated note, Army-as-Obama referenced Hinsdale, IL, the town I was born in. How cool was that?

+ Was it just me, or did Andy's hair get darker as he aged in the "Sergio" digital short? His wig was gray at the temples at the beginning of the sketch, and then five years later, his hair was a natural dark brown?

+ The moment Sen. Scott Brown stumbled into that conference room, I knew the "New Senator" sketch was going to be one long, obvious sex joke. Strangely, the performances saved it; the look on Fred's face as his Rep. Barney Frank impression swooned was a gem.

+ Michael Buble was pleasant enough, doing the vanilla Frank Sinatra homage that makes 50-year-old women keel over all over the world. Strangely, the presence of Sharon Jones (from Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings) did not make Mike look any more modish as a singer.

+ Buble the actor, on the other hand, was oddly pleasurable. "Hamm & Buble" was an over-glorified rewrite of "Jon Hamm's John Ham," but Buble admitting to being tortured and held captive by a mad Hamm was a nice touch to an otherwise dumb-as-rocks sketch.

+ It's not too often that a sketch gets a callback later in the show. I think the last time that happened was "Name That Dog" back in Season 23. Nevertheless, "Closet Organizer" -and its reprise of sorts at ten to one- was pretty funny. Will bounces around in a blue full-body unitard, having to catch any item that is thrown at him, starting with ordinary closet items before exploring and heightening into absurd proportions? That would've been plenty enough, yet 20 minutes later we see that same guy in a bar, pouring his feelings out with some aloof Israeli guy. I think tonight reaffirmed my faith in Will Forte as a clutch supporting actor.

+ Who wants to bet that the "American Enterprise" sketch was written by someone that used to work in an independent bookstore?

+ I didn't know what to expect from tonight's show, though in the end Hamm/Buble might've been one of the stronger broadcasts of Year 35. Jon Hamm was no Joseph Gordon-Levitt, but I can see why he was invited back. Hamm is fair game for anything, and he has an acute knack for comedy that you wouldn't expect from the star of a deadly serious show like "Mad Men." He jumped out of a woman's uterus, for chrissakes! In short, Don Draper is more than welcome to come back anytime he wants.

+ I rated tonight's show as a 6.5. Tonight was one of those shows where shaky writing was salvaged by on-the-money performances from the cast. The recurring characters, new or established, had a minimal presence; it didn't even bother me that Kristen was in nearly every sketch (again).

JustinRAn

[13]Jan 31, 2010
    What was your thought on the Kristen Wiig Sing/Dance Sketch, Snooki and Sonya, and The Stonographer?

HelloStuart

[14]Jan 31, 2010
    JustinRAn wrote:
    What was your thought on the Kristen Wiig Sing/Dance Sketch, Snooki and Sonya, and The Stonographer?

Part of the reason why I don't write full reviews anymore (they're all archived in the episode guide, if you'd like to read them) is that sometimes I'm not compelled to comment on every sketch. If you must ask, however...

There's something oddly rigid about the Lillia sketch that makes me doubt that it'll ever be recurring, though you can tell it was written with Kristen as the centerpiece. I don't watch "Jersey Shore," though I don't doubt that Bob's Snooki impression is on the money. Nasim's Sotomayor, on the other hand, and a tired Rosie Perez feel to it. The court stenographer sketch was kind of annoying, though I've certainly met older women in my lifetime that act the same way Ms. Naig does.

Woodstein

[15]Jan 31, 2010
    • level: 14
    I thought it was a solid episode. It for the most part avoided the problems of the rest of the season (recurring character overkill, Wiig overexposure, a combination of the two), and Jon Hamm was fun to watch.

On a side note, has Bobby Moynihan appeared in anything besides the Snooki commentaries on WU lately? It sure doesn't feel like it.

HelloStuart

[16]Jan 31, 2010
    Woodstein wrote:
    I thought it was a solid episode. It for the most part avoided the problems of the rest of the season (recurring character overkill, Wiig overexposure, a combination of the two), and Jon Hamm was fun to watch.

On a side note, has Bobby Moynihan appeared in anything besides the Snooki commentaries on WU lately? It sure doesn't feel like it.

Bob's had small parts in a lot of sketches. He played Optimus Prime in that one Digital Short from Fox/U2, and he also played the cellist in "Laser Cats 5."

JustinRAn

[18]Feb 1, 2010

Woodstein wrote:
    I thought it was a solid episode. It for the most part avoided the problems of the rest of the season (recurring character overkill, Wiig overexposure, a combination of the two), and Jon Hamm was fun to watch. On a side note, has Bobby Moynihan appeared in anything besides the Snooki commentaries on WU lately? It sure doesn't feel like it.

Wiig was in 8 Sketches on the Show. She was in Everything except Update, Game Time, and Hamm & Buble'

• Jenny Slate........ 1

• Nasim Pedrad..... 4

• Abby Elliott......... 2

• Kristen Wiig........ 8

One of them Stands Out

HelloStuart

[19]Feb 1, 2010
    JustinRAn wrote:

Woodstein wrote:
    I thought it was a solid episode. It for the most part avoided the problems of the rest of the season (recurring character overkill, Wiig overexposure, a combination of the two), and Jon Hamm was fun to watch. On a side note, has Bobby Moynihan appeared in anything besides the Snooki commentaries on WU lately? It sure doesn't feel like it.

Wiig was in 8 sketches on the show. She was in everything except Update, Game Time, and Hamm & Buble'

• Jenny Slate........ 1
    • Nasim Pedrad...... 4
    • Abby Elliott....... 2
    • Kristen Wiig....... 8

One of them stands out.

She wasn't in "Barnes & Noble," either.

Don't make it sound like the featured players are getting the shaft; the newer actors generally aren't in as many sketches as the more established stars. I know you haven't watching the show that long, but that's ordinarily the case. Ten years ago, Will Ferrell was in nearly every sketch while Rachel Dratch fought for airtime.

Edited on 02/01/2010 8:53pm

JustinRAn

[20]Feb 1, 2010
    She was the Voiceover^