Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Jon Hamm/Rihanna (10/30/10)

avmon

[41]Oct 31, 2010
    • level: 16
    HelloStuart wrote:

My thoughts:

+ I know we haven't seen Suds play Vice President Biden in awhile, though I don't think he was wholly necessary tonight. Obama's second-in-command is a frequent target of late night comedians, though he's been mostly a non-factor in the administration so far. Throw in a reference to that Chilean miner story from a few weeks ago -never mind that the miners' rescue was referenced in today's Rally to Restore Sanity- and you've got a topical sketch that felt dated and hackneyed on arrival.

+ Sex jokes are funny in moderation, but tonight's Vincent Price sketch was like a clearinghouse for gay jokes. Whatever gags the writer (or writers) were stockpiling for future Fred-as-Liberace scenes were pretty much exhausted tonight, so much that I nearly forget that anyone besides Bill and Army were even participating in the scene.

+ There was no reason for me to like "Lynette's Audition," but I found it funny regardless. After the frustrating failures of Starfish and Trina, Kristen might have something going with the quirky, standard-obsessed Lynette. Maybe it was that combination of wig/funny voice/peculiar mannerisms that we'd never seen before, or that whoever penned the sketch played to Kristen's strengths.

+ A lot of you old-timers (i.e. anyone who watched SNL prior to the year 2000) will remember a recorded two-part sketch from the Spacey/Beck Year 22 show where various actors appeared in screen tests for "Star Wars." Tonight's "Back To The Future" DVD feature was basically the same concept, but replacing '70s celebrities with '80s pop culture fixtures. There were no Kevin Spacey-as-Jack Lemmon moments, though Al Pacino's screen test as Doc stood front and center.

+ Weekend Update was steadfast as usual, though Bill playing James Carville was a tad more amusing than Garth & Kat's Halloween CD plug. The Ragin' Cajun is almost a caricature onto himself, but the American political scene provides so many twists and turns that Bill-as-Carville can make a clever, homespun metaphor out of damn near anything.

+ I should've bet ten dollars that "Highway Cops" was going to end with a man-on-man kiss. I really could've used the money.

+ That "Darlique & Barney" sketch really dragged… or did it?

+ Without much context, Rihanna was alright tonight. I had a weird feeling that they'd reprise Shy Ronnie, and parodying "03 Bonnie and Clyde" –yes, I know that song is eight years old- had a fun, expected quality. Both songs were okay, though "Only Girl (in the World)" was probably the more memorable of the two.

+ After being cut from each final dress of every live show this season so far, we finally saw "American America." Problem is, it's not the Dana Carvey/old hippie cartoon that we'd been promised for so long. Instead, we have David Spade doing his lecherous thing as the voice of a cartoon Chihuahua. Both shorts were written and produced by Fred Wolf, one of the more notable mid-90s SNL scribes, which explains the connection. Sadly, I don't think animation is his forte.

+ I rated tonight's show as a 7. It wasn't as strong as Stone/Leon, but it was steady and consistent throughout. Jon Hamm has become the reliably funny, go-to host that the producers nab maybe once a decade; at this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes a five-timer. He's not afraid of taking a supporting role in a sketch, and one could argue that he blends into the ensemble the same way Buck Henry and John Goodman used to. (Case in point: "I Didn't Ask For This.") For once, Bill Hader dominated the sketches, with Kristen in a close second; the featured players (save for Nasim) were AWOL from the first 30 minutes of the show, and Jay wasn't even in a live sketch.

I definitely was thinking of those Star Wars "auditions" when watching those Back to the Future 25th anniversary "screen tests".
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Woodstein

[42]Oct 31, 2010
    • level: 14
    I was reminded of the Star Wars screen tests too, but that just made me like last night's bit more instead of making it pale in comparison.

avmon

[43]Oct 31, 2010
    • level: 16
    To me, they're equally funny...

TheDiamondDog

[44]Oct 31, 2010
    • level: 61

I think I liked the Star Wars auditions better, mainly do to Spacey's great Christopher Walken impression.

I felt the show was so-so. There were some giggle moments, but once again I felt as if I wasted my time watching it. Sadly, I got sick last night. All dressed up and nowhere to go. I decided to skip Rihanna's performances. Never liked her music, like the majority of pop singers out there. Watched some Crash Kings videos on YouTube instead.

But in one of Rihanna's costumes, was she dressed kinda like Wonder Woman? The first costume. I kinda got that vibe.

ClevelandRocker

[45]Oct 31, 2010
    • level: 25

Hey Stu, what percentage of the impressions from the BTTF sketch were previously SNL cast members, hosts, or musical guests? I counted a few.

Edited on 10/31/2010 10:49pm

HelloStuart

[46]Nov 1, 2010
    • level: 63
    ClevelandRocker wrote:

Hey Stu, what percentage of the impressions from the BTTF sketch were previously SNL cast members, hosts, or musical guests? I counted a few.

Upon taking a quick glance on SNL Archives:

- 3 former cast members (Gilbert Gottfried, Eddie Murphy and Joan Cusack)
    - 5 former hosts (Murphy, Robin Williams, Pee-Wee Herman, Sam Kinison, Nicolas Cage)
    - 1 musical guest (Prince)

This brings me to my question of the day: how is it possible that Al Pacino has never hosted?

thechosenonecj

[47]Nov 1, 2010
    • level: 7
    loved this ep personally. my favourite in a while i think

BaronOne

[48]Nov 1, 2010
    • level: 15

My thoughts

algetrig91

[49]Nov 2, 2010
    • level: 34
    HelloStuart wrote:
    ClevelandRocker wrote:

Upon taking a quick glance on SNL Archives:

- 3 former cast members (Gilbert Gottfried, Eddie Murphy and Joan Cusack)
    - 5 former hosts (Murphy, Robin Williams, Pee-Wee Herman, Sam Kinison, Nicolas Cage)
    - 1 musical guest (Prince)

This brings me to my question of the day: how is it possible that Al Pacino has never hosted?

I've seen Deniro host twice. I'm not in the mood to see anything close to that again.

pgsuperfan

[50]Nov 2, 2010
    • level: 25

really liked the BACK TO FUTURE screen test

JustinRAn

[51]Nov 6, 2010
    • level: 12
    Liked
    - Vincent Price's Halloween Special
    - Back to the Future 25th Anniversary DVD
    - James Carville
    - I Didn't Ask For This (The Scene of Kristen getting Hit in the Head was SO FUNNY)

Hated
    - Cold Opening
    - Monologue (When There's A Diaper Joke in the First 20 Minutes, That's Not A Good Sign)
    - Ronnie & Clyde
    - Audition
    - Garth & Kat
    - Highway Cops
    - Darlique & Barney

Thoughts
    - They should've done a Sketch with the Miners as the Cold Opening
    - Confusing a Guy with a Girl, That's Always Funny
    - Ronnie Can't Sing around Rhianna, Get It! Get It!
    - Liberace is Gay Just in case You Didn't get the Joke
    - Jay's Eddie Murphy was Better than his Will Smith IMO
    - Garth & Kat is Based on an Improv. Game? I liked it better the 1st time I Saw it when it was called "Bill Brasky's Buddies"
    - Peeing Your Pants, That made me Laugh when I was 5
    - If you didn't see what was gonna happen with Highway Cops, You were Asleep
    - The Lounge Sketch was Horrible. I didn't even like it the 1st time I saw when it was called "I Sent a Bottle of Apple Juice to your House"
    - Spade was Funnier as a Dog than any of Hamm's Last Hostings (Yeah, I Said it)

Today's Recipe: How To Make A Kristen Wiig Sketch
    - Let Her be the Only One To Be Stupid
    - Have everyone else play the Straight Man
    - Barely Let Women Speak (If there Are Women)
    - Have Her Be Overacting to the Point Where William Shatner tells her to tone it down
    - Either have 1 Joke or No Joke
    - Make it Annoying

Film for 5 Minutes until Spoiled
    * Reheat every 2-5 Episodes

If you want to Be Creative; Give her an Outfit, A Voice, and a Wig

Hennes81

[52]Nov 7, 2010
    • level: 5

JustinRAn wrote:
    Today's Recipe: How To Make A Kristen Wiig Sketch

- Let Her be the Only One To Be Stupid
    - Have everyone else play the Straight Man
    - Barely Let Women Speak (If there Are Women)

Of course you are right on third point (Nasim and Abby had almost no line in the show and I remember Vanessa just as an extra in the Digital Short) but the first two points are not really accurate. Or do you think Fred (Vincent Price), Hamm (Audition), Hamm (I didn't ask for this) or Hamm (Lounge Singers) were less stupid or straighter compared to Wiigs characters? (At BTTF Casting and Garth and Cat I think her characters were not more or less "stupid" than all others)

To be clear: I also think she was heavy overused in this show - once again. But especially in this episode she didn't had the most outrageous characters so I totally disagree with your "Recipe" - or at least the point in time you wrote it down here.

JustinRAn

[53]Nov 8, 2010

^ Fred is 1 of the 3 Evils on the Show IMO. (There were 4 but 1 left after MacGruber bombed)

As for Hamm, I've seen all his Hostings LIVE and I have Yet to be Impressed by Him.

I hated "Audition", "Lounge Singers", and "Garth & Kat"

Edited on 11/08/2010 9:05am

JustinRAn

[54]Nov 5, 2011
    VH1 Has the Following:

- Cold Open
    - Monologue
    - Vincent Price's Halloween Special 1960
    - Back to the Future Audition Tapes #1
    - Ronnie and Clyde
    - Weekend Update (James Carville bit Cut)
    - Rhianna: What's My Name?
    - I Didn't Ask For This
    - Back to the Future Audition Tapes #2

RealityFan2686

[55]Nov 13, 2011
    • level: 30

JustinRAn wrote:
    As for Hamm, I've seen all his Hostings LIVE and I have Yet to be Impressed by Him.

Are you kidding? I actually thought he was really good as a host. Even though I think that this wasn't his best (I liked the other two times alot more), I still thought it was decent, could've done without Rhianna for a second time though. I hope he hosts again.

Tina