Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Josh Hutcherson/HAIM (11/23/13)

JustinRAn

[41]Nov 26, 2013
    • level: 12
    To be honest, I loved the Frat short.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

HelloStuart

[42]Nov 28, 2013
    • level: 63
    My thoughts:

+ Holy moly, did that shotgun wedding pun bomb. That's probably what I remember most about an otherwise humdrum cold open, yet another send-up of "Piers Morgan Live." Taran's Piers impression was steady as usual, but nothing else about this sketch connected.

+ I wonder how much Cecily can bench.

+ For the sake of "Girlfriends Talk Show," I hope Morgan never gets her act together, and that Kyra remains the crappiest, most oblivious best friend in the whole world.

+ Speaking of bombing, the whole audience turned against Cecily the moment she brought up the Bible on Weekend Update. Seth's human Christmas tree joke fared slightly better, and the Update jokes were a notch more consistent compared to the previous week (I especially loved the Bieber potshot). Aidy supplied the only commentary tonight, a potential recurring character in the form of an unbearable airplane passenger.

+ I can only assume that "80s Teenagers" --that sketch where Josh lip-syncs "Your Love" by The Outfield-- was as much fun to create as it was to watch.

+ Tonight we were blessed with not one but three delightful short films. (Yes, I know that's a minority opinion.) The wry "Matchbox 3" juxtaposes subway dancers with the crowded cars that can't hold their freaky fresh moves. "Dancing" is the latest Good Neighbor effort, a piece that encompasses the trajectory of fame while playing on the chemistry between Beck and Mooney. "Investigative Report" was the strangest of the three and an overdue vehicle for POB. A weird loner investigates the tenacity of New York City bugs, then gets upstaged or humiliated from every possible direction.

+ I had only a passing familiarity with Haim (or is it HAIM?); they were a sister act, they alternated on lead vocals, and that was about it. As a live act, however HAIM/Haim reminded me of the ersatz all-female band from "Wayne's World"; a little bit of edge, a good amount of harmonizing, and a lot of lifelessly swaying their instruments.

+ "Animal Hospital" was the sole outright bad sketch of the night. No matter how much imaginary molasses dripped from Aidy and Cecily's mouths, the concept was hardly funny at all.

+ Tonight was an unusual instance in which the strongest sketches of the evening were almost unilaterally in the second half of the show. An earlier-than-usual musical performance and a short Update led into a string of the best conceptual sketches of the season so far. Josh Hutcherson was a decidedly passive and timid host, but his unintentionally lassiez-faire approach he let the show's younger talent unwind and blossom in previously unexpected ways.

7/10

BaronOne

[43]Dec 8, 2013
    • level: 15

HelloStuart wrote:
    My thoughts: + Holy moly, did that shotgun wedding pun bomb. That's probably what I remember most about an otherwise humdrum cold open, yet another send-up of "Piers Morgan Live." Taran's Piers impression was steady as usual, but nothing else about this sketch connected. + I wonder how much Cecily can bench. + For the sake of "Girlfriends Talk Show," I hope Morgan never gets her act together, and that Kyra remains the crappiest, most oblivious best friend in the whole world. + Speaking of bombing, the whole audience turned against Cecily the moment she brought up the Bible on Weekend Update. Seth's human Christmas tree joke fared slightly better, and the Update jokes were a notch more consistent compared to the previous week (I especially loved the Bieber potshot). Aidy supplied the only commentary tonight, a potential recurring character in the form of an unbearable airplane passenger. + I can only assume that "80s Teenagers" --that sketch where Josh lip-syncs "Your Love" by The Outfield-- was as much fun to create as it was to watch. + Tonight we were blessed with not one but three delightful short films. (Yes, I know that's a minority opinion.) The wry "Matchbox 3" juxtaposes subway dancers with the crowded cars that can't hold their freaky fresh moves. "Dancing" is the latest Good Neighbor effort, a piece that encompasses the trajectory of fame while playing on the chemistry between Beck and Mooney. "Investigative Report" was the strangest of the three and an overdue vehicle for POB. A weird loner investigates the tenacity of New York City bugs, then gets upstaged or humiliated from every possible direction. + I had only a passing familiarity with Haim (or is it HAIM?); they were a sister act, they alternated on lead vocals, and that was about it. As a live act, however HAIM/Haim reminded me of the ersatz all-female band from "Wayne's World"; a little bit of edge, a good amount of harmonizing, and a lot of lifelessly swaying their instruments. + "Animal Hospital" was the sole outright bad sketch of the night. No matter how much imaginary molasses dripped from Aidy and Cecily's mouths, the concept was hardly funny at all. + Tonight was an unusual instance in which the strongest sketches of the evening were almost unilaterally in the second half of the show. An earlier-than-usual musical performance and a short Update led into a string of the best conceptual sketches of the season so far. Josh Hutcherson was a decidedly passive and timid host, but his unintentionally lassiez-faire approach he let the show's younger talent unwind and blossom in previously unexpected ways. 7/10

No mention of Baby Boss? Best sketch of the night!

HelloStuart

[44]Dec 9, 2013
    BaronOne wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    My thoughts: + Holy moly, did that shotgun wedding pun bomb. That's probably what I remember most about an otherwise humdrum cold open, yet another send-up of "Piers Morgan Live." Taran's Piers impression was steady as usual, but nothing else about this sketch connected. + I wonder how much Cecily can bench. + For the sake of "Girlfriends Talk Show," I hope Morgan never gets her act together, and that Kyra remains the crappiest, most oblivious best friend in the whole world. + Speaking of bombing, the whole audience turned against Cecily the moment she brought up the Bible on Weekend Update. Seth's human Christmas tree joke fared slightly better, and the Update jokes were a notch more consistent compared to the previous week (I especially loved the Bieber potshot). Aidy supplied the only commentary tonight, a potential recurring character in the form of an unbearable airplane passenger. + I can only assume that "80s Teenagers" --that sketch where Josh lip-syncs "Your Love" by The Outfield-- was as much fun to create as it was to watch. + Tonight we were blessed with not one but three delightful short films. (Yes, I know that's a minority opinion.) The wry "Matchbox 3" juxtaposes subway dancers with the crowded cars that can't hold their freaky fresh moves. "Dancing" is the latest Good Neighbor effort, a piece that encompasses the trajectory of fame while playing on the chemistry between Beck and Mooney. "Investigative Report" was the strangest of the three and an overdue vehicle for POB. A weird loner investigates the tenacity of New York City bugs, then gets upstaged or humiliated from every possible direction. + I had only a passing familiarity with Haim (or is it HAIM?); they were a sister act, they alternated on lead vocals, and that was about it. As a live act, however HAIM/Haim reminded me of the ersatz all-female band from "Wayne's World"; a little bit of edge, a good amount of harmonizing, and a lot of lifelessly swaying their instruments. + "Animal Hospital" was the sole outright bad sketch of the night. No matter how much imaginary molasses dripped from Aidy and Cecily's mouths, the concept was hardly funny at all. + Tonight was an unusual instance in which the strongest sketches of the evening were almost unilaterally in the second half of the show. An earlier-than-usual musical performance and a short Update led into a string of the best conceptual sketches of the season so far. Josh Hutcherson was a decidedly passive and timid host, but his unintentionally lassiez-faire approach he let the show's younger talent unwind and blossom in previously unexpected ways. 7/10

No mention of Baby Boss? Best sketch of the night!

I'll comment when it becomes recurring... which it almost certainly will be.

Ruckhappy

[45]Dec 11, 2013
    • level: 8

HelloStuart wrote:

They'll have to make some adjustments if they want to reprise that sketch. Poor Taran almost threw his back out hoisting Beck up on his hip. It was an inspired bit of physical comedy though.

Man, Beck is a fireplug of a guy for a comedy actor. He reminds me of some of the hookers I used to scrum down with.

HelloStuart

[46]Dec 11, 2013
    Ruckhappy wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:

They'll have to make some adjustments if they want to reprise that sketch. Poor Taran almost threw his back out hoisting Beck up on his hip. It was an inspired bit of physical comedy though.

Man, Beck is a fireplug of a guy for a comedy actor. He reminds me of some of the hookers I used to scrum down with.

When I saw BB dance in gold lamé hot pants in Tina Fey's monologue, my first thought was "dude, he has some huge thighs."