Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Justin Bieber (2/9/13)

jcav422

[1]Jan 8, 2013
    • level: 2

*aims gun to head*

http://mashable.com/2013/01/08/justin-bieber-snl-february-9/

Just when I thought the second half would bring promise with people like Jennifer Lawrence, this happens...

This season is reminding me of a mix of seasons 29 and 30. The hosts of the first half are similar these seasons (Jeremy Renner and Daniel Craig are like Liam Neeson and Colin Farrell, Bruno Mars was like Justin Timberlake's first time, Adam Levine is kind of like Christina Aguilera, Jennifer Lawrence is like Jude Law, Martin Short was like David Spade, etc.). JB screams pop culture, which dominated the hosting choices of SNL in 03-04.

Edited on 01/08/2013 8:17pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Royce7815

[2]Jan 8, 2013
    • level: 4

i guess he finally decided to do this, now that his fame is slowly being taken away from him and given to those one way guys.

TheDiamondDog

[3]Jan 8, 2013
    • level: 61

Every season there is a show I skip. It shall be this one.

I'd much rather have the guys in One Direction.

Ruckhappy

[4]Jan 8, 2013
    • level: 9

I'm going to be philosophical about this, since it's inevitable. Think of it as the "Anyone Can Host--And We Do Mean Anyone!" episode. A test of how good the new cast is. "An insanely conceited hamster host? Sure, we can do that!"

They may to remind the crew to be extra careful during the show, though. God forbid some gaffer didn't watch their step during a set change and squashed him like a bug.

jcav422

[5]Jan 8, 2013

I'd be fine if he was just the musical guest... I mean Miley Cyrus might have sounded terrible at first, but she proved herself to be a good, capable, funny host... he's going to be horrible

Ruckhappy

[6]Jan 8, 2013

jcav422 wrote:
    ...He's going to be horrible.

To be fair, he is less of a risk as a host than Adam Levine. Bieber has shown that he knows how to be funny in the SNL style and system. He's done well in his cameos before and must be pretty good to work with or else they wouldn't have asked him to host. It's going to be a real challenge to write a whole show for him and...well...yeah. Um. Yeah, it's going to be a real challenge.

Hell, they should be able to write two live sketches for him that are clever and funny, and they can fill the rest of the time with filmed pieces and sketches in which he doesn't appear.

avmon

[7]Jan 8, 2013
    • level: 16
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

Every season there is a show I skip. It shall be this one.

I'd much rather have the guys in One Direction.

I'm a "wait and see" kind of person so, yeah, I'll watch.

HelloStuart

[9]Jan 8, 2013
    • level: 63
    This doesn't show much promise, but if we learned anything from Miley Cyrus, anything can happen.

JustinRAn

[10]Jan 9, 2013
    • level: 12
    6 Degrees:

He was in Katy Perry's Concert Movie with Katy Perry who was in the Smurfs with Fred Armisen

jcav422

[11]Jan 9, 2013
    something tells me we're going to see the return of "The Finer Things" and another "Ellen" during this show.

Woodstein

[12]Jan 9, 2013
    • level: 14
    I tend to take a "hey, it might be good" attitude towards hosts I don't necessarily like, but Bieber is an exception, as the sketches he was in on previous appearances all boiled down to "everyone has a crush on Justin Bieber", like in Church Chat from Dana Carvey's last episode, or the teacher sketch from the show where he was MG. For this show to work, he would have to show some willingness to poke fun at himself that he didn't display then.

Hennes81

[13]Jan 10, 2013
    • level: 5

jcav422 wrote:
    something tells me we're going to see the return of "The Finer Things" and another "Ellen" during this show.

The first segments that came to my mind were "The Miley Cyrus Show" and "Girlfriends Talk Show". But I hope there won't be both of them.

TheDiamondDog

[14]Jan 10, 2013

I'll just catch it on a rerun. I have 2 shows this night. So I won't be home as it is.

JM5000

[15]Jan 10, 2013
    • level: 7

I knew this one was coming...That said, I'm glad it's happening now, because it only would have been worse if they saved him for one of the VERY LAST episodes of the season, just because, you know, he's Justin Effin' Bieber, the big, mothereffin' superstar, who deserves nothing less than to be saved for one of the season's "pimp spots"!

Let's think of it this way: As long as he's not a big breakout host (which he probably won't be), we'll most likely NEVER see him on this show again...In fact, judging from the fact that his fame is being eclipsed by a middle-aged Korean man, this might be one of the VERY LAST things he does as a superstar. After this, it's all downhill for the Biebs.

So with all that said, here's what I'm going to hope for: ...He does okay...Just okay...I want him to avoid flat-out sucking so that we don't have all these negative punks saying, "See!? I told you! He was terrible, because Justin Bieber sucks!" I don't want him feeding the fire, because while I am very annoyed and sick to death of him, I still think people exaggerate how bad he is, because believe me when I say, there are far worse musicians out there! But at the same time, I don't want him having any breakout moments, or else that will increase the possibility of him coming back, and I don't want that...I want him to be the most adequately modest host ever, so that we'll learn to forget about him...Because even if he does terrible, he's still gonna get a LOT of attention, even if it's negative...I just want the world to forget about Justin Bieber.

JM5000

[17]Jan 11, 2013
    • level: 7

rishabhpb wrote:
    JM5000 wrote:

I knew this one was coming...That said, I'm glad it's happening now, because it only would have been worse if they saved him for one of the VERY LAST episodes of the season, just because, you know, he's Justin Effin' Bieber, the big, mothereffin' superstar, who deserves nothing less than to be saved for one of the season's "pimp spots"!

13th episode out of 22 - not exactly one of the "last", is it? Last year had Channing Tatum for the 13th, so it's another one for the ladies. OR, you know, tween girls.

I think even SNL realizes how overrated he is, so they don't want to hype him up any further than this...Besides, it's the Valentine's Day episode, only fitting that they bring in the flirty pop singer...Actually, they usually give the "pimp spot" treatment to rappers, R&B singers and classic rock musicians, because rap and R&B represents the monarchy of popular music today, and classic rock is that of yesterday.

Just to clarify, look at the last handful of episodes of Season 35, Season 37 and the first half of this season:

There tends to be alternative at some point: Them Crooked Vultures, Jack White, Muse...

Then slightly softer rock music: Vampire Weekend, The Shins, Passion Pit...

Teen pop (or sometimes just pop): Justin Bieber, One Direction, Bruno Mars...

Indie: MGMT, Gotye, Fun...

A female R&B singer: Ke$ha, Rihanna, Rihanna again...

A male R&B singer or rapper: Jay-Z, Usher, Ne-Yo...

And then finally an old-timey rock musician: Tom Petty, Mick Jagger, Paul McCartney...

Overall, I think the line-up of each season is getting a little too predictable...Hopefully, they change all that for the remainder of this one...I mean, I think with Mars and Bieber, they pretty much used up their MGs for the teen girl demographic...Unless they want to bring in The Wanted, but I really see no point since they're already bringing in Bieber...

Royce7815

[18]Jan 28, 2013
    • level: 4

JM5000 wrote:

rishabhpb wrote:
    JM5000 wrote:

13th episode out of 22 - not exactly one of the "last", is it? Last year had Channing Tatum for the 13th, so it's another one for the ladies. OR, you know, tween girls.

I think even SNL realizes how overrated he is, so they don't want to hype him up any further than this...Besides, it's the Valentine's Day episode, only fitting that they bring in the flirty pop singer...Actually, they usually give the "pimp spot" treatment to rappers, R&B singers and classic rock musicians, because rap and R&B represents the monarchy of popular music today, and classic rock is that of yesterday.

Just to clarify, look at the last handful of episodes of Season 35, Season 37 and the first half of this season:

There tends to be alternative at some point: Them Crooked Vultures, Jack White, Muse...

And then finally an old-timey rock musician: Tom Petty, Mick Jagger, Paul McCartney...

Overall, I think the line-up of each season is getting a little too predictable...Hopefully, they change all that for the remainder of this one...I mean, I think with Mars and Bieber, they pretty much used up their MGs for the teen girl demographic...Unless they want to bring in The Wanted, but I really see no point since they're already bringing in Bieber...

WOAH! WOAH! now let's not be drastic here i mean, Ke$ha R&B singer? In the words of Seth (sometimes Seth & Amy) REALLY? lol I get what your saying and your right, it's just that through me off for minute.

Edited on 01/28/2013 10:46am

TheDiamondDog

[19]Jan 28, 2013

Royce7815 wrote:

JM5000 wrote:

rishabhpb wrote:
    JM5000 wrote:

WOAH! WOAH! now let's not be drastic here i mean, Ke$ha R&B singer? In the words of Seth (sometimes Seth & Amy) REALLY? lol I get what your saying and your right, it's just that through me off for minute.

Ke$ha is straight up pop.

Ruckhappy

[20]Jan 30, 2013

Man, I bet they're already regretting the invitation for him to host, considering what a little douche that twerp has been lately. He'd better come in the doors on his show Monday with a very self-deprecating sense of humor.

TheDiamondDog

[21]Jan 31, 2013

Ruckhappy wrote:

Man, I bet they're already regretting the invitation for him to host, considering what a little douche that twerp has been lately. He'd better come in the doors on his show Monday with a very self-deprecating sense of humor.

Much like Miley Cyrus, he wants to shed his good-boy image. But he's ready to be on Jersey Shore acting a fool.

JustinRAn

[22]Feb 2, 2013
    • level: 12
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

Ruckhappy wrote:

Much like Miley Cyrus, he wants to shed his good-boy image. But he's ready to be on Jersey Shore acting a fool.

I wouldn't compare Justin Beiber to Miley Cyrus since Miley had 4 years of acting on Hannah Montana, While as Justin Beiber has had little if any acting experience.

I'd compare his hosting more to Justin Timberlake or Stevie Wonder. I'm comparing his hosting possibility, Not his singing/talent.