Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Justin Bieber (2/9/13)

TheDiamondDog

[23]Feb 3, 2013
    • level: 61

JustinRAn wrote:
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

Ruckhappy wrote:

Man, I bet they're already regretting the invitation for him to host, considering what a little douche that twerp has been lately. He'd better come in the doors on his show Monday with a very self-deprecating sense of humor.

Much like Miley Cyrus, he wants to shed his good-boy image. But he's ready to be on Jersey Shore acting a fool.

I wouldn't compare Justin Beiber to Miley Cyrus since Miley had 4 years of acting on Hannah Montana, While as Justin Beiber has had little if any acting experience. I'd compare his hosting more to Justin Timberlake or Stevie Wonder. I'm comparing his hosting possibility, Not his singing/talent.

Oh no. I was just commenting on Justin trying to shed his good boy "you can introduce me to your parents" safe, sweet image. Miley had her "good girl" image, and then photos of her doing drugs, dancing dirty, and wearing skimpy costumes come out. She's no longer a Disney doll. Bieber doesn't want to keep his good boy image anymore. So he's acting more "adult" to escape his former self.

No idea how he'll be as a host, but I am curious. Perhaps I shall record it.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

HelloStuart

[24]Feb 4, 2013
    • level: 63
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

I was just commenting on Justin trying to shed his good boy "you can introduce me to your parents" safe, sweet image. Miley had her "good girl" image, and then photos of her doing drugs, dancing dirty, and wearing skimpy costumes come out. She's no longer a Disney doll. Bieber doesn't want to keep his good boy image anymore. So he's acting more "adult" to escape his former self.

No idea how he'll be as a host, but I am curious. Perhaps I shall record it.

It's hard to look "adult" when you're a 5'3" eunuch with a BoRics haircut.

wichovettorazzi

[25]Feb 7, 2013
    • level: 5

I never like it when singers host the show. Although many of them may be funny I believe it will never reach the same quallity as if it were an actor hosting.

There have been some descent episodes being hosted by singers, but I just can't help thinking it's an oportunity of a great actor hosting thrown to waste.

That said, I think Bieber is a terrible idea. Marketing-wise speaking, he doesn't apply one bit to what the target audience wants to see. He's never been noted for being funny or extremely charismatic, nor good at acting (obviously). The segment of people that follow the show AND would like to watch this episode are probably young girls who recently became fans.

I predict he'll sing in his monologue to make it entertaining, but I don't expect it to be funny. I also predict terrible acting in his sketches and the main cast provoking most of the laughs. Oh well. I guess I'll probably watch it out of curiosity, but I'm no really looking forward to it. I wouldn't mind missing it.

Edited on 02/07/2013 12:55pm

Hennes81

[26]Feb 9, 2013
    • level: 5

To predict a Mayor Bloomberg announcement as cold opening might be easy but since they did it the last time when it snowed in NY it sounds very repetitive. Maybe there will be a Anderson Cooper / Pierce Morgan skit which features Bloomberg and Chris Christie.

Also it may be interesting if they have a lot of cameos. They have done it often when someone hosted who was new to acting. But since they did it two weeks ago it has the risk of repeating the Levine Show. On the other hand there might be a few people who would like to share Justins spotlight for a few minutes (Christie? Fey? Fallon?).

Maybe I'm the only one but I'm really interested how they will deal with all these options.

danharr

[27]Feb 9, 2013
    • level: 45

Can't see how it will be that much worse than Levine or Hunger Games chick. There's tons of jokes for someone like Bieber and he's done well in his cameos, so hopefully the writers didn't take a mental break last week.

JakeFrato

[28]Feb 9, 2013
    • level: 7
    This is just terrible as an opening monologue. Just terrible.

danharr

[29]Feb 9, 2013

Didn't see the blackout portion of the superbowl so only one chuckle from me for that bit. Bieber's black history/valentines day bit was funny and nice cameo by Whoopie. Wonder if his singing will be this bad during his musical performance.

layton2012

[30]Feb 9, 2013
    • level: 2

I enjoyed the opening skit. Hated the opening monologue, not even a smile. I hate the Californians, does anyone like the Californians. When will writers learn that the Californians isn't funny.

danharr

[31]Feb 9, 2013

Californians went on too long the bits before the mirror should be short since the laugh factor is barely there.

JustinRAn

[32]Feb 9, 2013
    • level: 12
    Dang, Kate had to make the Gilly face.

PS, 2 Broke Girls is a funny show.

Also, I guess They had to cut Don Pardo's announcement for the next episode to fund Justin Beiber's hosting.

danharr

[33]Feb 9, 2013

The look alikes was meh at best guess the homo-erotic version of the body guard was supposed to make it funny. Really didn't need a Bravo reality bit.

layton2012

[34]Feb 9, 2013
    Love Kate Mckinnons Ellen impression, not loving this episode so far.

danharr

[35]Feb 9, 2013

Wu had a Richard the III bit really are you frackin kidding me. I predict this episode will be an utter failure.

EJamison

[36]Feb 9, 2013
    • level: 17

layton2012 wrote:

I enjoyed the opening skit. Hated the opening monologue, not even a smile. I hate the Californians, does anyone like the Californians. When will writers learn that the Californians isn't funny.

I have never understood this skit. I don't know why they keep using it.

I could have posted this in the past but never bothered: Can someone tell me if this is a parody of a premium cable show I've never seen?

danharr

[37]Feb 9, 2013

EJamison wrote:

layton2012 wrote:

I have never understood this skit. I don't know why they keep using it.

I could have posted this in the past but never bothered: Can someone tell me if this is a parody of a premium cable show I've never seen?

I think it's more about making fun of the Soap Channel than a specific show.

layton2012

[38]Feb 9, 2013
    Had a few chuckles during the last skit, but it was mostly with the girls, Biebers part was not as funny. Not a horrible skit, but not great either. The Miley Cyrus show is back, interesting...

skooby7

[39]Feb 9, 2013
    • level: 3

I didn't expect much from this episode, so I'm actually kind of enjoying it. Also, I'm not a fan of Bieber, but his first musical performance was alright, I just wish he didn't have to sing in almost every sketch.

danharr

[40]Feb 9, 2013

The Grease sketch was great best of the night so far. Love The Miley Cyrus Show was glad to see it back and Justin did a great job with it.

Royce7815

[41]Feb 9, 2013

So the Miley Cyrus show is a sketch that the teen pop stars can go on and redeem their selves once they smoke weed....huh?

skooby7

[42]Feb 9, 2013

This Glice sketch is pretty funny. I'm surprised Bieber kept a straight face as long as he did before cracking.