Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Justin Bieber (2/9/13)

HelloStuart

[64]Feb 13, 2013
    • level: 63
    Ruckhappy wrote:

JustinRAn wrote:
    I hope Tim doesn't make another year.

Thankfully, opinions like this don't factor into casting decisions on the show.

Justin is judging an actor that, if I had to letter-grade the Year 38 cast, would merit an incomplete. We still don't know what Robbo is capable of as a cast member. Here in Chicago, he was a rock star.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

HelloStuart

[65]Feb 13, 2013
    • level: 63
    I apologize for my latest delay. I watched the first 35 minutes live, than the show languished in my DVR until Wednesday evening. I'm sorry to keep you hanging. Without further ado, my thoughts:

+ Truth is a central tenant of comedy, and this week's cold open was an honest depiction of the fracas --at least, from CBS' perspective-- that was the Super Bowl blackout. The Superdome power surge gives the on-screen crew very little to say and do during the 34-minute delay, forcing James Brown (KT) to read anagrams of players' names in between plugs for "Two Broke Girls." The actual blackout made for delightfully awkward, car-accident-that-you-can't-stop-gawking-at TV, though SNL's approach was too literal and stiff to totally succeed. Nice jab at Dan Marino, though.

+ It took me five episodes of "The Californians" for me to realize that Fred's character's name is Stuart. A bonding opportunity completely blown.

+ This show wouldn't have gone anywhere if Justin wasn't the least bit self-deprecating, and the "Security Procedures" sketch delivered in spades. Jason is basically being his douchebag/cad self by introducing The Biebs to his calvary of lookalikes, and the sketch plays like a celebrity roast crossbred with an impostor contest. "Swaggy!"

+ "Corey, the one black guy in every ad" (KT) might have worked as an editorial in The Onion, or even a Short Imagined Monologue at McSweeney's. As as SNL commentary, however it stopped just short of dying. Also, the lengthy character descriptions are testing my patience.

+ Evoking last year's "Tell Him" musical sketch, "Tell Me More" skews a song from the musical Grease and layers it into a ditty about more romantic foibles. Justin was charming as the Travolta surrogate, and even though Cecily didn't have to do anything but play eye-candy/straight man, her and Kate's respective line deliveries were top-notch.

+ I honestly don't know if I enjoyed or hated the "Rude Eddie" sketch. The "glice" thing was beaten into the ground, but this new Taran character remind me a lot of Matt Foley.

+ I don't typically root for new recurring characters, but I want to see more of Bobby as Taco.

+ How was the music, dare I ask? Putting emphasis on his sensitive side --and not so much on over the top theatrics-- the Biebs croons "As Long As You Love Me" with some random older guy playing acoustic guitar. The teen heartthrob/aging session player dynamic was repeated later in the show, when the Starburns lookalike played piano to JB's "Nothing Like Us." In short, it was darling but passable.

+ I'm not going to cry "freefall" just yet. After a strong first half to the season, we've hit a patch of fair-to-middling shows. There is no need to panic. Expectations were low for us die-hards, mostly because of The Biebs than anything else, but the end result was not an unwatchable mess. Bieber put his best foot forward, but as far as double threats go he was one step behind Adam Levine and a significant leap behind Bruno Mars. I'm looking at the glass of water as half-full, and with minimal bloodshed we can move on to Christoph Waltz.

5/10

Woodstein

[66]Jul 1, 2013
    • level: 14

Hulu has a video of a sketch that was cut from this episode, with Bill Hader, Rob Klein, and John Solomon providing commentary on what a mess it was. Highlights include a section of the set almost falling on Justin Bieber.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/503981#i1,p0,d1