Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Justin Timberlake (3/9/13)

JustinRAn

[1]Feb 21, 2013
    • level: 12

New Addition to the 5 Timers club.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/02/21/snl-roars-into-march-with-all-star-line-up-including-justin-timberlake-and-kevin-hart/170369/

I can't image what sketches he'll do (except for ______ Ville, Barry Gibb Talk Show, sketch about his future, and a Digital Short).

I'm betting on Suit & Tie and Maybe Mirrors.

Edited on 03/04/2013 3:20pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Ruckhappy

[2]Feb 21, 2013
    • level: 9

Say it now and say it loud: No Biel! No Biel! No Biel!

Andy may be too busy to do a Digital Short. He's got a pilot to shoot. NBC might also not want to give him the PR bump since he's going to be starring in Fox's top new comedy.

TheDiamondDog

[3]Feb 21, 2013
    • level: 61

I'll have to record it, as I have a show that night where I may or may not be making my burlesque debut.

HelloStuart

[4]Feb 21, 2013
    • level: 63

TheDiamondDog wrote:

I'll have to record it, as I have a show that night where I may or may not be making my burlesque debut.

Congrats!

Technically, JT already is a five-timer under the Paul Simon rule.

Also, JT is the first person in SNL history to be host and musical guest in the same show three times. Lots of odd trivia being made this season...

Edited on 02/21/2013 2:23pm

Ruckhappy

[5]Feb 21, 2013

HelloStuart wrote:

Ah so, but if that was a general rule then Adam Levine should have claimed five-timer status when he hosted this season. And, in fact, Timberlake didn't claim five-timer status when he last hosted, but I predict that he will for this hosting gig, thus proving that MG appearances only count for the likes of Paul Simon. Which means that the number of real five-timers is about half as many as some think.

I don't think you're a real five-timer unless you stand at homebase and claim it or, like Paul, make an appearance in the five-timers lounge.

Hennes81

[6]Feb 21, 2013
    • level: 6

Ruckhappy wrote:

I don't think you're a real five-timer unless you stand at homebase and claim it or, like Paul, make an appearance in the five-timers lounge.

I just remember him in "platinum lounge" (for 12 times hosting and more) in Baldwin/Aguilera. And even if it were the five-timers lounge: He was MG four times by now.
    But enough about my passion to correct everyone. Don't want to be Mr know it all here. Laughing

But I see what you mean: I'm also a big fan of the five timers club and love it when it's mentioned (like Drew did). Since they haven't done it very often in the last years, it seems like they want to keep it as a topic at fan discussions only.

Ruckhappy

[7]Feb 21, 2013

The "Paul" I was referring to was Paul Simon. However, it's apt of you to point out that Sir Paul was allowed in the Platinum Lounge because, as I said to Stu when I was speculating they might do a five-timers sketch for Sir Paul during the Christmas show, I think the Paul Simon Rule only applies to giant celebrity friends of Lorne's, like Paul Simon or Paul McCartney.

I would be willing to relax my opposition to cameos for the sake of a good Five-Timers Club sketch, if they could get some of the legends to appear. Alec would be easy enough, John Goodman's been running around promoting various movies, Tom or Steve always seem to be available, but the person I'd really like to see in a Five-Timers Club sketch would be Buck Henry. Oh, and Dave Grohl could try to crash the lounge, only to be turned away with the dismissal that "...The Paul Simon Rule only applies to musicians named Paul."

Lorne would never allow it but if I was writing a Five-Timers Club sketch I'd throw in a joke about the members wanting to blackball "Certain 4's" because "If she gets in we'll have to lock away the port and good silver." Meaning Lindsay Lohan.

Edited on 02/21/2013 5:38pm

Royce7815

[8]Feb 21, 2013
    • level: 4

JustinRAn wrote:

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/02/21/snl-roars-into-march-with-all-star-line-up-including-justin-timberlake-and-kevin-hart/170369/

I can't image what sketches he'll do (Except for ______ Ville, Barry Gibb Talk Show, Sketch about his future, And A Digital Short)

I kinda doubt he will be doing "Gibb" seeing as how Robin just passed back in May. But who knows, maybe the writers will find some way around it.

avmon

[9]Feb 21, 2013
    • level: 16
    Ruckhappy wrote:

The "Paul" I was referring to was Paul Simon. However, it's apt of you to point out that Sir Paul was allowed in the Platinum Lounge because, as I said to Stu when I was speculating they might do a five-timers sketch for Sir Paul during the Christmas show, I think the Paul Simon Rule only applies to giant celebrity friends of Lorne's, like Paul Simon or Paul McCartney.

I would be willing to relax my opposition to cameos for the sake of a good Five-Timers Club sketch, if they could get some of the legends to appear. Alec would be easy enough, John Goodman's been running around promoting various movies, Tom or Steve always seem to be available, but the person I'd really like to see in a Five-Timers Club sketch would be Buck Henry. Oh, and Dave Grohl could try to crash the lounge, only to be turned away with the dismissal that "...The Paul Simon Rule only applies to musicians named Paul."

Lorne would never allow it but if I was writing a Five-Timers Club sketch I'd throw in a joke about the members wanting to blackball "Certain 4's" because "If she gets in we'll have to lock away the port and good silver." Meaning Lindsay Lohan.

When Danny DeVito last hosted the show, he claimed it was his fifth as such though it was really his sixth but I'm guessing his first two Ebersol stints weren't counted and his first Lorne appearance was though that was really a "Special Guest Appearance" stint under actual host/musical guest Willie Nelson. Anyway, I'd like him to appear in that possible future Five-Timers Club sketch.

JustinRAn

[10]Feb 21, 2013
    • level: 12
    Royce7815 wrote:

JustinRAn wrote:

I can't image what sketches he'll do (Except for ______ Ville, Barry Gibb Talk Show, Sketch about his future, And A Digital Short)

I kinda doubt he will be doing "Gibb" seeing as how Robin just passed back in May. But who knows, maybe the writers will find some way around it.

They could easily do an archive show from 1986 or something.

HelloStuart

[11]Feb 21, 2013
    Ruckhappy wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:

Ah so, but if that was a general rule then Adam Levine should have claimed five-timer status when he hosted this season. And, in fact, Timberlake didn't claim five-timer status when he last hosted, but I predict that he will for this hosting gig, thus proving that MG appearances only count for the likes of Paul Simon. Which means that the number of real five-timers is about half as many as some think.

I don't think you're a real five-timer unless you stand at home base and claim it or, like Paul, make an appearance in the five-timers lounge.

All I can say is, look at the numbers. At the time of that sketch, Simon had hosted four times and been a musical guest four other times. As long as you were a scheduled guest (no cameos, no "featured") it counts.

Ruckhappy

[12]Feb 21, 2013

avmon wrote:
    Anyway, I'd like him to appear in that possible future Five-Timers Club sketch.

If not an actual appearance then at least a "DeVito's passed out in the sauna again..." throwaway line, or something like that.

Hennes81

[13]Feb 22, 2013
    • level: 6

Ruckhappy wrote:

Sorry, hadn't thought this through. Maybe I should stop writing at a specific time of the evening. My bad.

When it comes to a second "Five-Timers sketch" I would also try to include Conan as staff member. When he is asked why he is still working there he could answer: "Late Night TV isn't what it used to be". And to replace Ralph Nader as the one who tries to get in we could use Ben Affleck who sais is is important enough now after his sucess at the Oscars.

But in the end I have to admit it would all be fun but it's hardly unlikely they will do sth like it because then they would have to mention it every time and they don't want to do it.

Ruckhappy

[14]Feb 23, 2013

HelloStuart wrote:
    Ruckhappy wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:

I don't think you're a real five-timer unless you stand at home base and claim it or, like Paul, make an appearance in the five-timers lounge.

All I can say is, look at the numbers. At the time of that sketch, Simon had hosted four times and been a musical guest four other times. As long as you were a scheduled guest (no cameos, no "featured") it counts.

We'll know soon enough. If Timberlake comes right out in his mono and declares that he's now a five-timer, you can't deny the implications.

But...again, thinking of this being a season of weird milestones, if he pulls off a good show--and that's going to take some doing--he may become a five-timer with one of the highest "slugging averages" of the modern era, so to speak, at the time of induction. (Writing off Steve Martin and Buck Henry as the Babe and Ty Cobb of the Golden Era.) Who had a funnier run of first-five episodes? Baldwin or Goodman, maybe. Not Hanks, for my money. Not Drew and not DeVito. Or--and this is saying something--not Chevy or Bill Murray.

(Oh, now there's a notable bit of SNL five-timer trivia: which five-timer's first hosting gig was unquestionably the worst first show of all of the five-timers, probably the worst show of any hosted by a five-timer and also probably one of the worst episodes in the history of SNL?)

avmon

[15]Feb 23, 2013
    • level: 16
    Ruckhappy wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    Ruckhappy wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:

We'll know soon enough. If Timberlake comes right out in his mono and declares that he's now a five-timer, you can't deny the implications.

But...again, thinking of this being a season of weird milestones, if he pulls off a good show--and that's going to take some doing--he may become a five-timer with one of the highest "slugging averages" of the modern era, so to speak, at the time of induction. (Writing off Steve Martin and Buck Henry as the Babe and Ty Cobb of the Golden Era.) Who had a funnier run of first-five episodes? Baldwin or Goodman, maybe. Not Hanks, for my money. Not Drew and not DeVito. Or--and this is saying something--not Chevy or Bill Murray.

(Oh, now there's a notable bit of SNL five-timer trivia: which five-timer's first hosting gig was unquestionably the worst first show of all of the five-timers, probably the worst show of any hosted by a five-timer and also probably one of the worst episodes in the history of SNL?)

Either you're referring to Hanks-from the second worst season: 1985-86-or Murray-from the unquestionably worst: the Jean Doumanian one-1980-81...

Ruckhappy

[16]Feb 23, 2013
    Uh, it was a rhetorical question. Hanks' first show might not have been great, but Billy's first show hosting was the infamous Ship of the Damned show.

JM5000

[17]Feb 23, 2013
    • level: 7

Ruckhappy wrote:

To be fair, the first time Timberlake was on, he was with N'Sync, so maybe they just find it difficult to count when a musical guest is part of a group...Though if that were the case, you might call Dave Grohl a no-timer...

Edited on 02/23/2013 8:54am

Ruckhappy

[18]Feb 23, 2013

In reality, Grohl is a no-timer, simply because he's never hosted the show.

They'll make some little joke about whether this hosting gig counts as fifth or sixth appearance during the monologue, but he will declare himself a five-timer. They're not going to deny him that. So, effectively, his MG appearance won't count.

HelloStuart

[19]Feb 23, 2013

Ruckhappy wrote:
    Uh, it was a rhetorical question. Hanks' first show might not have been great, but Billy's first show hosting was the infamous Ship of the Damned show.

Even if it was Doumanian's last show, that episode was the undisputed high point of Year 6. Murray took pity on the cast and writers that Jean assembled and made sure they went out with a bang.

So what if Grohl hasn't hosted? Neither has Randy Newman or Tom Petty, but in my book they count. There's no concrete rules to the Five-Timers Club, other than you've been a scheduled guest at least five times.

With that said, we have squandered a tremendous amount of time and energy arguing over a 22-year-old monologue.

Edited on 02/23/2013 9:33pm

Woodstein

[20]Feb 24, 2013
    • level: 14
    After his last episode, I'm kind of hoping they'll go easy on bringing back his old bits. They're not necessarily played out (except for perhaps the Barry Gibb Talk Show), but the writers shouldn't force themselves to write them if they can't think of any good ideas. The Digital Short about 3-ways from his last show was a good example of that, where it feels like it was made because they felt obliged to follow up "Motherlover".