Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Justin Timberlake (3/9/13)

JustinRAn

[63]Mar 12, 2013
    • level: 12
    He was in the Campaign (Better than you would think) and there is supposedly a Yogi Bear 2 coming up.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

mrjimmyjames

[64]Mar 13, 2013
    • level: 7

HelloStuart wrote:
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

My mom actually pointed out how much Dan let himself go. She said that when she first saw him, he looked like crap. But she blames the fact he doesn't have steady work like the others.

Nowadays, Danny is semi-retired from acting (yes, I know I say that a lot). He has a minority stake in the House of Blues nightclub chain, as well as Crystal Head vodka. Evidently, it's not his passion anymore. Some people seem to think his weight gain is from his lingering guilt about John's death, though I would argue it's just middle-age spread. When Alec had his weight gain in the early 2000s, it was like he aged ten years overnight.

Dan has let himself go, but it's not exactly new. I would say he's been like that for at least the last 25 years. If you were to compare the difference between him in Trading Places (82?) and The Great Outdoors in 1998 or Driving Miss Daisy (90?), it's a pretty drastic change in appearances and pretty depressing. At that time, he wasn't exactly old like he is now. I've also always wondered if John's death had something to do with that.

Alec's weight gain did age him. But not too badly; he's still recognizable. He's largely aged gracefully compared to people like Ackroyd or James Spader who look like nightmarish versions of themselves.

Edited on 03/13/2013 12:18am

mrjimmyjames

[65]Mar 13, 2013

HelloStuart wrote:
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    + The mere mention of the 5 Timers' Club was probably inevitable, though the nitpicker in me would've wanted to see every five-time host mentioned. (Bill Murray, Elliott Gould, and longtime exile Buck Henry were not in the mix.) Regular bit player Michael Patrick O'Brien filled Conan's shoes as the concierge, and including the semi-retired Candice Bergen was a nice touch.

+ Speaking of Two Wild and Crazy Guys, Dan Aykroyd's presence was a discomforting reminder of how he's physically let himself go since the early '90s. Even so, I'm sure the original Yortuk outfit is probably in a museum somewhere.

Semi-retired? Wasn't she just on television in the last two years?

I would even go as far as to say late 80s is when Dan started to let himself go. Every time I see "The Great Outdoors" I think that.

"Boston Legal" wrapped in 2008, and I can count the number of times Candy has been on TV since on one hand. Plus, she did suffer a stroke.

Her stroke happened in 2006.

She may not have had any major roles in movies or regular roles on television since BL, but she's still frequently acted since then. If that's your definition of semi-retired, then I'd say much of Hollywood's steady actors are.

Ruckhappy

[66]Mar 13, 2013
    • level: 8

It felt weird to have Danny serving as "the help" in the Five-Timers lounge. For Marty to do it as a bit, eh, fine, but in my mind Akroyd is one of the co-creators of SNL, with Lorne and Michael O'Donoghue. There would never have been such a thing as an SNL "five-timer" if it weren't for Danny. He probably did it to pitch his brand of vodka, but it still felt wrong.

Also, it's understandable that a Festrunk brother would have put on weight in 35 years, but Dan should have adjusted his characterization to reflect his age and current weight. It just didn't work for him to try to play a Festrunk the same way he did 35 years ago.

mrjimmyjames

[67]Mar 14, 2013

Ruckhappy wrote:

It felt weird to have Danny serving as "the help" in the Five-Timers lounge. For Marty to do it as a bit, eh, fine, but in my mind Akroyd is one of the co-creators of SNL, with Lorne and Michael O'Donoghue. There would never have been such a thing as an SNL "five-timer" if it weren't for Danny. He probably did it to pitch his brand of vodka, but it still felt wrong.

Also, it's understandable that a Festrunk brother would have put on weight in 35 years, but Dan should have adjusted his characterization to reflect his age and current weight. It just didn't work for him to try to play a Festrunk the same way he did 35 years ago.

Well, does anyone know exactly why Aykroyd has only hosted once to begin with? For the longest time he'd tag along with Goodman (which were always good shows). You'd think with his affiliation he would have hosted at least five times since 1980.

Ruckhappy

[68]Mar 14, 2013
    • level: 8

mrjimmyjames wrote:
    Well, does anyone know exactly why Aykroyd has only hosted once to begin with? For the longest time he'd tag along with Goodman (which were always good shows). You'd think with his affiliation he would have hosted at least five times since 1980.

He's said that he's never been comfortable with the idea of hosting. I don't recall what his exact rationale was because I didn't believe it.

Akroyd, back in the day, was a top-flight comedy mechanic, but he hasn't been that Akroyd for, oh, 20-25 years. He's just one of those guys, I think, who can't stand to not be the creator that he was once. He's not a guy like Murray, who can glide insouciantly through any role more or less playing himself. Dan, I suspect, has a fairly benign form of Peter Cook Syndrome: he can't abide being a post-genius all that comfortably. Or else that he can if you leave him to his bikes and UFO's and don't drag him back to homebase with overmuch expectations.

avmon

[69]Mar 14, 2013
    • level: 16
    Ruckhappy wrote:

mrjimmyjames wrote:

He's said that he's never been comfortable with the idea of hosting. I don't recall what his exact rationale was because I didn't believe it.

Akroyd, back in the day, was a top-flight comedy mechanic, but he hasn't been that Akroyd for, oh, 20-25 years. He's just one of those guys, I think, who can't stand to not be the creator that he was once. He's not a guy like Murray, who can glide insouciantly through any role more or less playing himself. Dan, I suspect, has a fairly benign form of Peter Cook Syndrome: he can't abide being a post-genius all that comfortably. Or else that he can if you leave him to his bikes and UFO's and don't drag him back to homebase with overmuch expectations.

I remember reading Aykroyd hating being "Weekend Update" co-anchor and wanting very much to get out of it which would explain why Bill Murray replaced him the following season. His only memorable parts were those "Point/Counterpoint" debates with Jane Curtin, anyway.

HelloStuart

[70]Mar 15, 2013
    • level: 63

Ruckhappy wrote:

It felt weird to have Danny serving as "the help" in the Five-Timers lounge. For Marty to do it as a bit, eh, fine, but in my mind Aykroyd is one of the co-creators of SNL, with Lorne and Michael O'Donoghue. There would never have been such a thing as an SNL "five-timer" if it weren't for Danny. He probably did it to pitch his brand of vodka, but it still felt wrong.

Danny's relationship with the show has had its ups and downs. Originally, only John was going to leave after Year 4 and Dan would focus on being in the cast, rather than act and write. However, John didn't want to exit SNL alone. Two weeks before the Martin/Blondie show, Belushi finally persuaded Dan to move on. Lorne had counted on Danny to ease the show's post-Belushi transition (Harry Shearer had already been hired to "replace" John) and we notoriously very upset by what he thought was a flake-out. Michaels and Aykroyd didn't speak for over a year, and Lorne even blackballed him from the 100th episode that season. They reluctantly agreed to work together on Steve Martin's various prime-time specials in the early '80s, but they didn't fully reconcile until later in the decade.

As such, Dan has been reluctant to host because he supposedly didn't feel comfortable recreating old characters. A Fred Galvin sketch was written by Tom Davis for Aykroyd's sole hosting stint in 2003, but it was cut after the final dress and replaced by that lame "Canina Cuisina" sketch after Dan pressured Lorne. More than likely, those two appearances by the Festrunks in the past 15 years probably took a lot of persuasion.

Edited on 03/14/2013 11:09pm