TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Katy Perry/Robyn (12/10/11)

drudager

[105]Dec 11, 2011
    • level: 13

BaronOne wrote:

My thoughts: http://hotoffpress.wordpress.com/2011/12/11/snl-perry-robyn/

You gave J-Pop 3 1/2 stars? F-.

Nice job & work on the round-up & providing screencaps & player tallies (the latter which I was considering taking up). I would have counted Wiig as 7 times. I'm getting this queasy & uneasy feeling that everyone including Wiig herself seems to think "the people paid/came to see the big movie star / most important part of the show Wiig" since she was all over the first 45 minutes.

And if I ever reach old age, I'm SO gonna end up as Hader's Clint Eastwood!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

JustinRAn

[106]Dec 12, 2011
    • level: 12
    He also loved the Elton John episode too, so don't take him too seriously.

Woodstein

[107]Dec 12, 2011
    • level: 14
    I actually kind of enjoy the J-Pop show sketches, because I'm familiar with white people who have been through Japanophile phases in their lives, so I can relate to the sketches.

JustinRAn

[108]Dec 12, 2011
    I'm still waiting Stu, Where's your review?

HelloStuart

[109]Dec 12, 2011
    • level: 63

Sorry for the delay-- busy weekend. Been awhile since we've had 100-plus comments on an EDT, so I'm very pleased to see that. Without further ado, my thoughts:

+ Memo to the writers: I'm almost certain Trump isn't running for president in 2012 (or ever). The debate is just another one of his publicity stunts. Bringing Darrell back to play The Donald was wholly unnecessary, even if his impression was (and still is) top-notch.

+ Granted, "J-Pop America" is not my first choice for a recurring sketch immediately after the monologue, but at least it has a somewhat deluded, self-deprecating quality underneath that loud, irritating sheen. Suds as "Sensei" Mark Kaufman remains the lodestar of this exercise in clique mockery.

+ Speaking of recurring, I'm sure this wasn't the last we'll see of "Kalle." For those of you who think Kristen is annoying, I found the low-key mannerisms of the Finnish talk show host to be strangely refreshing. My only issue is, does SNL need another foreign talk show sketch?

+ Filmed sketches seem to be outpacing live material this season, and the armageddon-fueled "New Year's Eve" sequel trailer parody was a bright spot of the evening. Two small nitpicks, though: they could've used a gray wig for present-day Alan Alda, and the Mayan end of times technically isn't until next December.

+ For those of you wondering, Matt Damon and Val Kilmer were the only celebs that cameoed in the wonderfully wacky "Best Friends" Digital Short. The historical figures were played by cast members and behind-the-scenes people. At first I thought Baze played Abe Lincoln, but no.

+ Speaking of self-deprecating, Alec Baldwin as "Captain Steve Rogers" tried to be whimsical but it never really went anywhere. Who will remember this incident two weeks from now? At least Update had Stefon --seriously, how does that never get old?-- and a surprisingly tolerable commentary by Kristen as an aggressive flirting expert.

+ As surprising as it was to see Abby play the new Duchess of Cambridge, I was fooled into thinking she would have a leading part in the "Pregnant Princess?" sketch. Once Katy stepped in as Pippa, Little Miss Nepotism fell back into her usual passive role. How is this woman still on the show if she's nothing more than an overglorified extra?

+ I know precious little about Robyn, other than that she's Swedish, androgynous, and fun to dance to. If not for her, I would not have known that designer girdles and carpenter's vests are all the rage amongst Scandinavian party girls.

+ I rated this show as a 6. Like past shows, a few gems in a sea of middling sketches but nothing outright terrible. For such an animated performer, Katy often looked stiff and perhaps even a little tired; either that or acting just isn't her strong suit. Basically, this was an okay show with a weak host.

+ What's with all the vacation talk? Nasim appeared in the Digital Short and the goodnights!

JustinRAn

[110]Dec 12, 2011
    2 Questions:

1- What'll get cut for VH1?
    2- What was your thought on Wiig in almost every sketch?

stellarchick86

[111]Dec 12, 2011
    • level: 32
    HelloStuart wrote:
    Speaking of recurring, I'm sure this wasn't the last we'll see of "Kalle." For those of you who think Kristen is annoying, I found the low-key mannerisms of the Finnish talk show host to be strangely refreshing. My only issue is, does SNL need another foreign talk show sketch?

That was my thought as well. I didnt mind it and actually found it funny/refreshing, but they just have so many. Plus it kind of reminded me of that sketch with Maya and...I cant remember with "Uda" or something like that where people come over and they act weird around them. I know Im not being specific enough but..whatever lol. Ill still take this one over Manuel Ortiz or J-Pop or whatever though.
    HelloStuart wrote:
    What's with all the vacation talk? Nasim appeared in the Digital Short and the goodnights!

Ah okay I guess I missed her in the goodnights somehow and I barely paid any attention to that digital short (though I guess if you want to get super technical about it, she couldve done those scenes before she left) so thats why I missed her. Thanks for the info. I was just surprised because usually even if the episode is Kristen heavy, her and Vanessa usually get one live sketch under their belt (even if Abby doesnt) yet I missed those things so I was like WTF and thought there had to be a reason.
    Woodstein wrote:
    I actually kind of enjoy the J-Pop show sketches, because I'm familiar with white people who have been through Japanophile phases in their lives, so I can relate to the sketches.

Id take it over Manuel Ortiz, but since they are so similar and we've already had so many talk show type sketches, it just seems a little redundant. Im also not the biggest fan of Bayer when she has to be in a host/newsanchor type of role (I feel like they are trying to replace Tina Fey that way) because its always obvious to me that shes reading off cue cards (sorry- dont kill me! lol). The only exception to this is the Miley Cyrus one because other people are involved and she makes up for it with enthusiasm there.

drudager

[112]Dec 12, 2011

[QUOTE="HelloStuart"]

+ As surprising as it was to see Abby play the new Duchess of Cambridge, I was fooled into thinking she would have a leading part in the "Pregnant Princess?" sketch. Once Katy stepped in as Pippa, Little Miss Nepotism fell back into her usual passive role. How is this woman still on the show if she's nothing more than an overglorified extra?

I can't believe this is Abby's 4th season on the show; 4 times her old man. Did SNL not learn anything from Jim Belushi?

On another note, is it me, or did Perry's accent come off as really bad? To me it sounded like she didn't know how to do a British accent, and was doing more of a deaf / mute Marlee Matlin impression. Or worse, a bad retarded person impression.

drudager

[113]Dec 12, 2011
    Woodstein wrote:

Man that must be awful. Must be insufferable. Anime makes my head hurt. I remember when the only Japanese in American Culture was "Gung Ho!" and how we were all to fear and hate it. Then some phase with a Vodka-themed stand-up comedian and a crocodile hunter & we never had to deal with foreigners again.

drudager

[114]Dec 12, 2011
    JustinRAn wrote:
    Just thought of something. You know how we're getting tired of the "Herb Welch is dead" thing in EVERY WXPD News bit? I'm starting to get tired of Randy Newman in EVERY animated film bit, Doing the same song remake.

Heh, listening to Newman's "Short People" right now. They really do got no reason to live.

JustinRAn

[115]Dec 12, 2011
    That's the song Fred always sings as Randy Newman?

Sorry, I'm not a Randy Newman fan. He's way before my time.

Glenn9999

[116]Dec 13, 2011
    • level: 2

My thoughts, same rating system as before, same wonderment about differing senses of humour than before:

1. On the Record: Tepid opening. Nice to see Darrell Hammond around, but the Trump impression wore on me after a while. 2.5

2. Monologue: Great lampoon of the Katy Perry videos, and one of the more simple yet entertaining premises used in the last few. 3.5

3. J-Pop America Fun Time Now: I don't get the comparisons to the Manuel Ortiz show on this one, in which the one-note dancing thing has gotten completely tiring for me. This is since the highlight for me is the inter-play between the show characters and Sensei Mark Kaufman and not the "Japanese" stuff, which makes this work for me, and isn't in the Manuel Ortiz show. The Japanese motif is a common one, which is why they went with that, but it could have been done with any setup that has "ignorant people" that really think they're experts on something (there's plenty of those all over the Internet). As for the J-Pop stuff, this sketch got me to researching what J-Pop really is (there's a couple of streams somewhere which play it), and it's nothing like what people think of, but definitely something worth trying. That said this is still working for me. 4.0

4. The Apocalyse: SNL gets impression heavy the last couple of seasons and this is another one of those vehicles. There are a few highlights in this one (Abby, Jay, Fred, and Kristen). 3.0

5. Kalle. I don't understand the Finnish connection, but the clip device used was pretty entertaining. But they drove the concept into the ground in the course of this sketch, and will have to come up with a very fresh angle if they repeat it again. 3.5

6. The Digital Short. Definitely the best one so far this season, but IMO not as good as some would say. It lost steam at the end with the time machine gag and would have been better to end it before then. 3.5

7. Doggie Duty. Now the show turns downhill. Another multi-impression repeat and a tired one besides. They really need to keep these to one an episode or one every other episode. No major highlights for me. 2.0

8. Weekend Update. If I can say anything about Seth's delivery, it's consistent. The "guests" are notable, though, for varying reasons, though IMO all didn't work. Rebecca Larue is an interesting concept though misplaced. I think she would work better in a lower-key skit in the same vein as "The Roxbury Guys". Have her be in a club setting trying to pick up guys, raising her arms and doing her general act, and have them react quizzically or express some general WTFery and then come up with a good ending similar to her little breakdown during the skit. Maybe throw a female cast member or two in to express a little disdain at her.

I think this and 45% on the MSN poll agree with me. When Alec Baldwin's sizable ego gets to him, he is a complete inconsiderate a**. And showing his face on SNL only compounded it. I wonder how 30 Rock's ratings will be affected by what he did.

And I really don't get Stefon as a comedy device at this point, other than it's a good time seeing how long it takes for Hader to crack. (2.5)

9. Royal Pregnancy. This act got tired on me the last time they did it. IMO this really only functioned as a showcase for Katy in that yes indeed she learned a cockney British accent from Russell Brand. 2.0

10. Politics Nation. This was a complete dud for me. 1.5

11. One Magical Night. Good concept, excellent delivery. Sudekis singing in the background only added to this skit and provides proof they really need to give some of the "featured cast" members chances at proving themselves more than they have already. (3.5)

Robyn comes from the "let's take the month off" mentality that the casting folks at SNL seem to be exhibiting, being Katy Perry's tour mate. Which gives further credence to my theory about them having the Katy Perry opportunity as a musical guest but not wanting to take it for some reason. Robyn delivers nothing different than the music videos I referenced before (the movements she made during the songs are the same too). That adds up to a couple of excellent performances.

And adds up to one of the better shows of an overly unimpressive season (so far).

Next week: More casting laziness in the way of "Let's just grab X, he's already here in 30 Rock."

Glenn9999

[117]Dec 13, 2011
    • level: 2

drudager wrote:
    Man that must be awful. Must be insufferable. Anime makes my head hurt.

FWIW, when I researched the Jpop thing after the first sketch, I did find several references to this. As I understood it, real Japanese people act in no way like that, and a couple of pages even stated that it would be socially reprehensible if someone did act that way when they were in that country. Which makes about as much sense to one's bodily safety as going to Australia and doing a Crocodile Dundee act I suppose.

drudager

[118]Dec 13, 2011
    JustinRAn wrote:

Just because music is old doesn't mean it's not good or unattainable. If anything, old music should be studied & enjoyed more than whatever is on the Top 100 charts today. Incidentally I really don't listen Newman either. The majority of music I listen to is older than I am. I think by the 1990s, originality had just run out; especially in the rock genre. There's a still a few really good songs & bands since then, but few and far inbetween. It'll never be as great as 1970/1971 IMO.

avmon

[119]Dec 13, 2011
    • level: 16
    drudager wrote:
    JustinRAn wrote:

Just because music is old doesn't mean it's not good or unattainable. If anything, old music should be studied & enjoyed more than whatever is on the Top 100 charts today. Incidentally I really don't listen Newman either. The majority of music I listen to is older than I am. I think by the 1990s, originality had just run out; especially in the rock genre. There's a still a few really good songs & bands since then, but few and far inbetween. It'll never be as great as 1970/1971 IMO.
    Though I grew as a teen during the '80s, I actually prefer the Top 40 hits from the decade previous. That was why, until recently, I listened to "Casey Kasem's American Top 40-The '70s" on a few radio stations I found on the internet since none of my local stations had the program.

HelloStuart

[120]Dec 13, 2011
    Glenn9999 wrote:

drudager wrote:
    Man that must be awful. Must be insufferable. Anime makes my head hurt.

FWIW, when I researched the Jpop thing after the first sketch, I did find several references to this. As I understood it, real Japanese people act in no way like that, and a couple of pages even stated that it would be socially reprehensible if someone did act that way when they were in that country. Which makes about as much sense to one's bodily safety as going to Australia and doing a Crocodile Dundee act I suppose.

Or going to Canada wearing a toque and Leafs jersey, eating back-bacon and washing it down with a Molson Blue.

HelloStuart

[121]Dec 13, 2011
    JustinRAn wrote:
    2 Questions:

1- What'll get cut for VH1?
    2- What was your thought on Wiig in almost every sketch?

1. For the 60-second edit? My best guess is "Doggie Duty," "Politics Nation," Robyn's second song, and "Soulmates."
    2. My same thoughts as usual.

stellarchick86

[123]Dec 13, 2011
    • level: 32
    Glenn9999 wrote:
    J-Pop America Fun Time Now: I don't get the comparisons to the Manuel Ortiz show on this one

Welllll there is the obvious that its yet another talk show, and that its another talk show in which something goes array or not perfectly, but also that they always stand up and do their little theme song before each guest, much like they always get up and dance before their next guest during 'Manuel Ortiz'. If you dont think its similar then thats perfectly fine, but I feel like they just took the formula for MO and put it in for JAFTN and tweaked a few things which isnt enough to make it original for me. A sketch that I thought was fairly original for this show would be the last sketch with Bobby and Katy and she dies just after he proposes. Its not monumental or anything like that, but I just mean that I cant sit there and say "oh thats too similar to ____!".