Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Kerry Washington/ Eminem (11/02/13)

Hennes81

[1]Oct 16, 2013
    • level: 6

The announcement was made via Twitter (@nbcsnl).

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

warqueen

[2]Oct 16, 2013

Hennes, you not supposed to post info from Twitter, even if it is the official SNL Twitter account; same deal for Wikipedia. See the forum page warning.

Here is an official announcement in the press: http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/10/16/kerry-washington-edward-norton-host-snl/

So we will have back to back 1st time hosts. But I wonder if KW being picked is partly somewhat due to this recurring controversy: http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/10/15/kenan-thompson-saturday-night-live-black-cast-members/

JM5000

[3]Oct 16, 2013
    • level: 8

Kerry Washington will become the eighth black female to ever host the show...

While the hosts have been hard to predict, the musical guests are mostly proving easy...(The only thing that kept me from guessing Miley or Perry is because I didn't think they were worth it, but they were both okay performers, so whatever...) I'll write more on this in the prediction thread...

Edited on 10/16/2013 6:05pm

Hennes81

[4]Oct 17, 2013

warqueen wrote:

Hennes, you not supposed to post info from Twitter, even if it is the official SNL Twitter account; same deal for Wikipedia. See the forum page warning.

O.K., sorry. Didn't thought about official accounts being forbidden. I asked about it in the other discussion thread.

Also the black female cast member discussion came to my mind. Washington being announced short after it might be coincidental but it also gives more attention to this unsolved problem (at least it's a problem in my mind).

If Kenan and Jay tried to start a public discussion about it (and I don't think it was their ambition) this could be seen as a direct confrontation with Lorne.

Edited on 10/17/2013 4:16am

HelloStuart

[5]Oct 17, 2013
    • level: 63
    Hennes81 wrote:

warqueen wrote:

O.K., sorry. Didn't thought about official accounts being forbidden. I asked about it in the other discussion thread.

Also the black female cast member discussion came to my mind. Washington being announced short after it might be coincidental but it also gives more attention to this unsolved problem (at least it's a problem in my mind).

If Kenan and Jay tried to start a public discussion about it (and I don't think it was their ambition) this could be seen as a direct confrontation with Lorne.

If it's the official SNL feed, I'll make an exception. I'd still tread lightly with Wiki, though.

Given the success of "Scandal," and since it's not a CBS show, K-Wash hosting makes a lot of sense.

Hennes81

[6]Oct 17, 2013

HelloStuart wrote:
    If it's the official SNL feed, I'll make an exception. I'd still tread lightly with Wiki, though.
    Given the success of "Scandal," and since it's not a CBS show, K-Wash hosting makes a lot of sense.

Of course Wiki isn't reliable. If someone official tweets it, that should be something else.

SNL hasn't booked many actors of broadcast shows in the last seasons (except SNL alumni) so I haven't expected Kerry as a host. But I don't think thats something special dealing with CBS cast; there were also not much hosts of ABC or FOX shows since NPH hosted in 2009.

Edited on 10/17/2013 6:18am

Ruckhappy

[7]Oct 25, 2013
    • level: 9

HelloStuart wrote:

Yes, but the timing is too close to be totally coincidental. I'm willing to believe, though, that they were looking for a black woman host going into this season and might have had an agreement for her to host months ago.

I bet they have her play Michelle Obama at some point. She actually bears a pretty good resemblance to Michelle.

Edited on 10/25/2013 1:25pm

HelloStuart

[8]Oct 30, 2013
    • level: 63

Tuesday promos!

http://www.eonline.com/news/475769/kerry-washington-s-saturday-night-live-promos-taran-killam-makes-a-move-on-the-pregnant-scandal-star

JM5000

[9]Nov 2, 2013
    • level: 8

Episode Predictions:

Cold Opening: It's been a while since we've seen Obama...Maybe this will be a good time to bring him back to talk more about the whole Obamacare scandal...And yes, Washington could appear as Michelle...

Monologue: Maybe a parody of "Scandal", possibly involving the lack of black females on this show...

First Musical Performance: "Berzerk".

Second Musical Performance: Most likely "Rap God" since it's pretty high on the charts right now...But it could also be "The Monster" just to bring back Rihanna once again...Or hell, it could just be a non-single...

avmon

[10]Nov 2, 2013
    • level: 16
    So Keenan's comments about no black women on the show is finally addressed. Other comments: Six Matthew McConaheys? And was that really Al Sharpton saying "Live from New York, it's Saturday Night!"?

avmon

[12]Nov 2, 2013
    JM5000 wrote:

Episode Predictions:

Cold Opening: It's been a while since we've seen Obama...Maybe this will be a good time to bring him back to talk more about the whole Obamacare scandal...And yes, Washington could appear as Michelle...

Monologue: Maybe a parody of "Scandal", possibly involving the lack of black females on this show...

Well, two out three ain't bad so far...

danharr

[13]Nov 2, 2013
    • level: 45

Missed first thirty minutes guess I'll catch them next week KW did a great African lady impersonation but other than that meh on Mrs. Universe.

avmon

[14]Nov 2, 2013
    danharr wrote:

Missed first thirty minutes guess I'll catch them next week KW did a great African lady impersonation but other than that meh on Mrs. Universe.

Liked it when Katherine kissed Nasim...

avmon

[15]Nov 2, 2013
    Liked hearing Billy Squire's "Stroke" at the beginning of Eminem's first set. I eventually liked the last part of it as well...

danharr

[16]Nov 2, 2013

Liked the Angela Merkel bit on WU. WU as a whole got better after that bit and ended well.

avmon

[17]Nov 2, 2013
    danharr wrote:

Liked the Angela Merkel bit on WU. WU as a whole got better after that bit and ended well.

I did like it when Keenan as Charles Barkley mentioned Toni Braxton.

avmon

[18]Nov 2, 2013
    Well, "Cartoon Catchphrase" was pretty weird with some amusement. I noticed the catchphrases were all for Warner Bros. characters. Can't believe none of the contestants didn't know who said them...

avmon

[19]Nov 2, 2013
    Well, that was another funny Booker T. School sketch.

danharr

[20]Nov 2, 2013

Are you going door to door and ass to ass best line of the bit. Cheating husband should've been tiring but it was okay. Urban highschool was okay as usual for me.