Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Kerry Washington/ Eminem (11/02/13)

avmon

[21]Nov 2, 2013
    • level: 16
    Was on the computer the whole time of that MTV sketch and didn't find it funny at all...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

danharr

[22]Nov 2, 2013
    • level: 45

Mtv show parody was okay especially for an end of the show bit.

avmon

[23]Nov 2, 2013
    Okay, that "Ice Cream/Ambulances" film was a weirdly funny way to end the show!

avmon

[24]Nov 2, 2013
    They showed the full closing credits for the first time this season! Awesome!

danharr

[25]Nov 2, 2013
    • level: 45

Okay so the terrible sketch at the end of the show is a thing now they must plan it there is no other explanation...

Royce7815

[26]Nov 2, 2013
    • level: 4

Who else else just knew Kerry was going to play Michelle at some point on this episode. I do wish i could have seen more of her Oprah.

As far as the scandal parody i really wish they had done a scandal parody with a few of the cast as some of the character because i wanted to see Bobby do a Huck impression.

I also knew as some point Kerry was going to have to play the "Ratchet black girl" character too. Nasim is really trying to crank out the characters.

Kate, always a master of accents though for a minute she started to go over to British.

The cartoon catchphrase sketch seemed like it was going to be a serious dud but began to get entertaining.

The MTV Date or Diss i felt would have been the perfect avenue for an awkward possibly recurring Mooney character. Kinda like how when Amy did Amber on a DisMissed parody.

Really enjoyed tonight's show Kerry got to be Maya for a night.

malcovio

[27]Nov 3, 2013
    • level: 11
    Am I the only one who experienced those audio issues? Was it just my local NBC feed? The dialogue tracks were inaudible for the first half of the show.

JM5000

[28]Nov 3, 2013
    • level: 7

This was a fairly good show...I really liked the cold opening...Washington managed to add some humor to some otherwise mediocre sketches...The Cartoon Catchphrase sketch probably wouldn't have worked if it hadn't been for Aidy's delivery...The Ice Cream sketch was amusing in a strange way...And "The Fox" parody was...cute, I guess...I guess parodies of popular songs are gonna become a normal thing on this show...It's slowly starting to look like the Barely Political "The Key of Awesome" series.

Eminem was alright, but I think it's time to address this...Sometimes, less is more. He had such a big band behind him that they almost completely drowned out his voice...Again, he did fine overall, but I still think he's the weakest musical guest so far this season...

warqueen

[29]Nov 4, 2013
    • level: 5

Looks like TMZ is stirring up trouble over Eminem's singing performances on the show:

EMINEM: LIP-SYNCED 'SNL' PERFORMANCE - Or We're a Monkey's Uncle

http://www.tmz.com/2013/11/04/eminem-saturday-night-live-berzerk-lip-sync/

EMINEM: I WAS NOT LIP-SYNCING, BUT ... http://www.tmz.com/2013/11/04/eminem-statement-not-lip-syncing-snl/

HelloStuart

[30]Nov 4, 2013
    • level: 63
    danharr wrote:

Okay so the terrible sketch at the end of the show is a thing now they must plan it there is no other explanation...

You mean, it wasn't before?

HelloStuart

[31]Nov 4, 2013
    • level: 63

My thoughts:

+ If last week's "12 Years a Slave" put Kenan's comments in subtext, than tonight's cold open was blatant context. Starting off like a hyper-generic topical sketch, a sketch involving President Obama and America's most powerful African-American woman turned into a sorry-not-sorry rebuttal to SNL's current lack of diversity. At the center of all this was Kerry, who transforms from Michelle Obama to Oprah in less than one minute, partially to impress but also prove a point.

+ Speaking of women of color, Nasim Pedrad has really stepped up these past few weeks. She was front and center in the second sketch of the evening, playing an overzealous motivational speaker from Yemen.

+ That parody of Ylvis' "The Fox" was spot-on. It was well-edited, and Kerry almost steals the song from Jay. That they were able to piece together a plot was even more remarkable.

+ I nearly forgot that "How's He Doing?" was technically a recurring sketch. Evidently, it didn't leave much of an impression when Maya hosted in February 2012, and it was one of the weaker sketches of the evening.

+ At first I thought "Miss Universe Moscow 2013" was going to focus on the anti-gay laws President Putin passed over the summer. Instead, the pageant parody went in a totally different, more conspicuous direction. It was simply an excuse for the women to do broad stereotypes, a contest of sorts to see who could do the most over-the-top accent (Kate won by a hair).

+ This might have been Cecily's strongest Update yet. Her jokes (especially the Kanye and chocolate Lay's bits) hit more than they missed, and she's comfortable enough to banter a little in between. Cece's batting average was right there with Seth, who was steady as usual. The commentaries also clicked: Kate, Master of Accents found loneliness and pathos in Angela Merkel's accusations of NSA wiretapping, and an unlikely comedy pair was found in two established impressions: Kenan's smug Charles Barkley and Jay's thickheaded Shaq.

+ Word to the wise: never buy churros from a possum.

+ Something about Eminem's performance tonight felt... inauthentic. I've seen an accusation or two of lip-syncing (which he did on SNL nine years ago), though maybe the show's notoriously spotty sound mixing was working against him. At the same time, Marshall Mathers is no longer the bratty, angry twentysomething we met nearly 15 years ago; the peroxide hair is back, but he's north of 40 and a millionaire several times over. At least Eminem can still rhyme with fury.

+ Speaking of Slim Shady, I didn't realize until midway through the first song that the "Duck Dynasty" lookalike on the wheels of steel was actually Rick Rubin. Also, no mention of Skylar Grey?

+ "Date or Diss" felt more like an extended Family Guy cutaway than a parody. While it wasn't the greatest sketch in the world, Kerry's line delivery was phenomenal.

+ While I miss the original, more "pure" Digital Shorts, the Good Neighbors collective are already making their mark on the show. "Ice Cream" was an existential, thoughtful delight, carried by Kyle's performance as a perplexed scoop monkey.

+ Controversy aside, this was the strongest live show since Fey/Fire. Kerry was the first host of the season with virtually no past SNL experience, and in turn the most revelatory of the five. I was a little scared when she glued her eyes on the cue-cards in the cold open, but in hindsight that was probably part of the joke. Washington owned the show and ran the ball all day. It was probably no coincidence that Kenan, Jay, and the women (except maybe Noel) stepped up tonight; diversity might be lacking, but the talent is most certainly there.

7/10