Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Kevin Hart/Macklemore feat. Ryan Lewis (3/2/13)

danharr

[22]Mar 2, 2013
    • level: 45

Blue collar workers going off fun as usual.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

danharr

[23]Mar 2, 2013

Oh damn these are the Thrift Shop guys had no ideal.

mrjimmyjames

[24]Mar 2, 2013
    • level: 7

JustinRAn wrote:
    I guess Darrell Hammond has a new job now, Or else I'm crazy from the cruise and someone else is the new announcer.

Bill again?

Royce7815

[25]Mar 2, 2013
    • level: 4

Nooo Kevin Why? i was rooting for now your gonna have tons of news stories about you cussing.

thecomedianky

[26]Mar 2, 2013
    • level: 19
    Quick correction. Lincoln came out in November. Six months would make it May.

danharr

[27]Mar 2, 2013

Kevin lol couldn't read the teleprompter sadly the audience was feeling the subject matter I think they did well with the voting rights act debacle.

danharr

[28]Mar 2, 2013

A walking dead parody it's about damn time. Funny taking the pc culture and mixing it with the walking dead was hilarious.

TheDiamondDog

[29]Mar 2, 2013
    • level: 61

Most entertaining thing so far was the musical performance, though the WD parody was funny. Don't watch the actual show though.

danharr

[30]Mar 2, 2013

Shark Tank wtf and Z shirt wtf times 20 but it was funny as hell thanks to the cutty sark and dos equis amber...

danharr

[31]Mar 2, 2013

Dove chocolate was the best of the night.

Hirundine

[32]Mar 2, 2013
    • level: 26
    I really thought he was gonna go with "Lamp Shades" for the lamp-glasses for a second there ....

danharr

[33]Mar 2, 2013

Another song by these guys I had no ideal they had made.

danharr

[34]Mar 2, 2013

Didn't need z shirts again but 360 news was fun they ended on a good note.

JM5000

[35]Mar 2, 2013
    • level: 8

Not a bad episode...Still filled with black jokes, but not nearly as over-the-top as the Foxx show...Hart was over-the-top and filled with all sorts of energy. I couldn't help but laugh at the Z shirt sketch (and bringing it back a la Closet Organizer was also funny), mainly thanks to Hart's delivery (kinda reminded me of that Smosh series on Youtube). The Dove sketch was also funny in a stupid way (there's just something about Hart's over-the-top delivery that entertains me). So yeah, not the best show of the season, but still enjoyable...Macklemore was fun too...

83optics

[36]Mar 3, 2013
    • level: 6

learned:

* monologue: one breath and not one sip of water, impressive

* Tim became official last night, he made the host corpse.

* Macklemore: better than Vanilla Ice's "I Love You"

* Z shirt: '90s Fruit-Roll-Up commercial

* thank you, Dove Chocolate, for Nasim at the end there...

* I'm a traitor...he pointed at me.

evildevil97

[37]Mar 3, 2013
    • level: 26
    Tim Robinson has been my favourite new castmember for awhile now. His very few starring roles (usually the final sketch of the night) have been terrific.

TheDiamondDog

[38]Mar 3, 2013

The show got better towards the end. Dove Chocolate was good. I loved the whole, "How would you bring a bubble bath to a desert island?" point. I really liked the Z-shirt guy at the funeral thing too.

No idea Macklemore did that song I heard on a commercial for something. So they have more than their Ode To Goodwill song. Very high energy performances. Very entertaining.

HelloStuart

[39]Mar 3, 2013
    • level: 63
    My thoughts:
    + Tonight's cold open, while merely okay, was the most brusque commentary on the Obama administration's feckless handling of the economy in quite a while. The jabs at Michelle and Biden were Leno-ish, but I laughed at the budget cuts dumped upon the NATCA, border patrol, and the National Zoo. Plus, any sketch that throws in a Village People reference...

+ Kevin Hart auditioned for the cast in 2001. I did not know that. Considering that the producers went with Dean Edwards instead, in hindsight we can chalk that up as a blunder on the show's part. Not as bad as John Goodman and Jim Carrey in 1980, but it's up there.

+ I wasn't sure if it had legs the first time around, but color me impressed by this second Dana and Niff (CS, BM) sketch. As mean as it might have been, both McDonald's and Barnes & Nobles have their own distinct cross-section of rogues, weirdoes, and irregulars.

+ I wasn't as sure during the two February shows, but now I can say with certainty that Don Pardo was not in the house last night. Anywhere you actually heard Don, it was clearly canned. Granted, he just turned 95 years old, but wherever Don is I hope he's well.

+ Was that Dennis Rodman/Kim Jong-Un commentary on WU really about anything?

+ If there was a blatant example of Hart's energy not syncing up a cast that occasionally seemed like they were sleepwalking, look at the performances in the "Dove Chocolate" sketch. The longer the sketch went on, the more Vanessa, Bill, and Army seemed like white noise. Kevin, however was pitch-perfect as the miscast voice-over actor.

+ One of the most retweeted comments on Twitter last night was "Macklemore is Tom Haverford and Ryan Lewis is Jean-Ralphio." That was funny, though a tad harsh. If the hype is empty and the Seattle-based rapper is in fact a one-hit wonder, he and Lewis made the most of their SNL stint. "Thrift Shop" (featuring Wanz) was a goofy, high-energy lark, but "Can't Hold Us" (featuring Ray Dalton) had a thick, merciless beat and a juicer part for the horn section.

+ I love a good callback that morphs into a blackout sketch. SNL is not known for doing this, but I'd love to see it more often.

+ Sometimes a strong host is doomed to only host once. However, I don't think I've ever made that estimation as quickly as I have with Kevin Hart. I'm sure he didn't realize you can't say g--d--- on network television (twice!) and I don't know how many people caught the possible F-bomb at the tail end of "360 News," but people have been banned from SNL for more arbitrary reasons. It's a shame, though; even if you think he tried too hard, you can't deny the tentpole of efficacy Hart brought to a show that was often stuck in second gear.

6/10

Ruckhappy

[41]Mar 4, 2013
    • level: 9

This show is going to take some digesting:

--The writer's room is, at best, still treading water. They didn't play it completely safe, you can give them that. Uh...some interesting ideas, but definitely not much accomplishment. Still no sign that anyone on-staff can write a true three-hander (except for maybe the Dove Chocolates sketch).

--Kevin Hart seems like an interesting guy, and SNL needs to cultivate black hosts who can work in their system. Say what you like but he got some laughs out of weak material and he worked his ass off. He was almost visibly desperate to make this show a success. He really deserves a second chance.

--As a native Northwesterner I humbly apologize to the rest of the world for the steaming hunk of shit that is Macklemore. We actually do have an authentic, creative hip-hop scene in the PNW. Check out Street Sounds on KEXP if you don't believe me. What that thing was, with the epaulettes and latex wife-beater...that is not us. I don't give a damn that he went to Garfield or whatever, that is NOT a PNW hip-hop artist. I'd like to dump him in the Duwamish with a logging chain around his ankles.

TheDiamondDog

[42]Mar 4, 2013

Macklemore and Ryan Lewis are a gimmick. And sometimes gimmicks get popular, as I say with LMFAO. Sometimes they have their moment in the sun, and then fail to stay successful.