Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Kristen Wiig/Vampire Weekend (5/11/13)

Hennes81

[1]Apr 26, 2013
    • level: 6

Sources:

TVbythenumbers
    Twitter

Former cast member Kristen Wiig makes her hosting debut on May 11. The four-time Emmy nominated actress and Oscar nominated screenwriter appears in a string of upcoming films including "Girl Most Likely," "Despicable Me 2," "Anchorman: The Legend Continues" and "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty." Joining Wiig is Vampire Weekend, returning to the SNL stage for their third appearance as musical guest. The Grammy nominated band's upcoming album, "Modern Vampires of the City," is set for a May 14 release.

Edited on 04/26/2013 10:59am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

evildevil97

[2]Apr 26, 2013
    • level: 26
    Not even a full season has passed since she left. Terrible.

jcav422

[3]Apr 26, 2013
    • level: 2

Everyone gives Wiig hate for her constant characters, but hell she made me laugh! I couldn't be more excited for her to host. Especially with Vampire Weekend. As if McCarthy/Phoenix wasn't a great combo in my eyes, this is even better. We all know it's going to be all her characters. Only thing is that it's not going to feel like a hosting appearance, it's going to feel like a season 37 episode with Cecily in it. I'm actually not surprised she's hosting so early. This season has been a dud in my eyes with a few exceptions and I'm really optimistic about these last three episodes and hosts. Knowing these hosts, they won't be a dud like Renner/Maroon 5, but let's just hope we have another Vaughn/Miguel disaster.

Edited on 04/26/2013 1:53pm

HelloStuart

[4]Apr 26, 2013
    • level: 63
    jcav422 wrote:

Knowing these hosts, they won't be a dud like Renner/Maroon 5, but let's just hope we have another Vaughn/Miguel disaster.

Disaster? More like a slog.

One can argue that Wiigy is hosting too soon; then again, her cameo in Short/Macca felt almost like an afterthought.

JustinRAn

[5]Apr 26, 2013
    • level: 12
    HelloStuart wrote:
    jcav422 wrote:

Knowing these hosts, they won't be a dud like Renner/Maroon 5, but let's just hope we have another Vaughn/Miguel disaster.

Disaster? More like a slog.

One can argue that Wiigy is hosting too soon; then again, her cameo in Short/Macca felt almost like an afterthought.

Vince Vaughn? I hope her show is more like an Adrian Brody/Milton Berle/Chevy Chase

She was also mentioned in name during the 5 Timers Club.

She was in Adventureland with Bill Hader

I refuse to watch this LIVE. I'll see it on my DVR.

jcav422

[6]Apr 26, 2013
    • level: 2
    i meant let's hope we DONT have another Vaughn disaster. Forgot the word

JustinRAn

[7]Apr 26, 2013
    You clearly don't know the stories about Adrian Brody, Milton Berle or Chevy Chase.

I'm basically saying I hope she's a nightmare off-stage (Milton Berle), Big-headed (Chevy Chase), or Banned (All 3)

mrjimmyjames

[8]Apr 27, 2013
    • level: 7

HelloStuart wrote:
    jcav422 wrote:

Disaster? More like a slog. One can argue that Wiigy is hosting too soon; then again, her cameo in Short/Macca felt almost like an afterthought.

Who's got the record for earliest hosting after leaving? (Chevy?) This is awfully too soon.

"Jimmy has fancy plans...and pants to match!" - Jimmy James

Edited on 04/26/2013 11:37pm

mrjimmyjames

[9]Apr 27, 2013

jcav422 wrote:

Everyone gives Wiig hate for her constant characters, but hell she made me laugh!

We all know it's going to be all her characters.

She made me laugh, too in the beginning until later. That gilly character was great! Then gilly became another character the next week and another the next and so on.

Yep, we know it's going to be all her (one) character. The many forms and variations of it.

"Jimmy has fancy plans...and pants to match!" - Jimmy James

Edited on 04/26/2013 11:47pm

Woodstein

[11]Apr 27, 2013
    • level: 14
    Eddie Murphy and Bill Murray were the only other two alumni I can think of who hosted the season after they left, but those were special cases (Murphy was an incredibly popular movie star, and Murray was brought in when the show was struggling under a new producer).

As Jimmy Fallon and Maya Rudolph proved, alumni who were widely disliked upon their departure can still host good episodes, but there usually needs to be some time before they come back. Seeing a character you might have been tired of after a long absence might be enjoyable, but with Wiig hosting so soon it would probably feel like she never went away. My hope is that she does a Dan Aykroyd and insists against bringing back any of her characters.

Ruckhappy

[12]Apr 27, 2013
    • level: 9

Woodstein wrote:
    As Jimmy Fallon and Maya Rudolph proved, alumni who were widely disliked upon their departure can still host good episodes, but there usually needs to be some time before they come back.

Neither Jimmy or Maya were widely disliked when they left. Maya was much-missed, and apparently Jimmy had a devoted following of female fans who were willing to forgive him any amount of corpsing. Really, the last person to leave the cast as disliked as Wiig was Chris Kattan, both cases where their good work was overshadowed by corrosive overuse of their over-the-top characters.

What's amazing is that only a day after it was announced it's becoming clear that this may be the biggest hosting gaffe that Lorne has made since Steven Segal. Even people who like Wiig are saying it's too soon. Plus she's going to be sandwiched between the always-funny Galifinakis and what is likely to be a star-studded finale with Affleck becoming a Five-Timer.

Dooneese

[13]Apr 27, 2013
    • level: 1

I'm so excited she's hosting although I do believe that it is too soon. Either way I'm excited and plan to try my luck at the standby line in 2 weeks. Anyone ever tried this and have any advice? Also do you think she will draw a huge crowd? I don't know who vampire weekend is (nor care) but I'm worried there will be a lot of people in line starting Wednesday.

JustinRAn

[14]Apr 27, 2013
    I hope it doesn't turn into another Melissa McCarthy show where the Audience hoots and hollars everytime she appears in a sketch.

Quality doesn't mean anything with ratings. Vince Vaughn brought in some of the highest ratings of the seasons.

TheDiamondDog

[15]Apr 27, 2013
    • level: 61

Way too soon for her.

Ruckhappy

[16]Apr 28, 2013

JustinRAn wrote:
    Quality doesn't mean anything with ratings. Vince Vaughn brought in some of the highest ratings of the seasons.

Wrong. The quality of a particular show doesn't drive the ratings for that show, but the quality of recent shows does. Ratings for a variety show like SNL are essentially anticipatory. People watch the next episode based on whether the host & MG is someone they want to see, and whether the show has been funny of late.

The ratings for Vaughn's show were average-low, actually. What's interesting, and hopeful, is that the ratings overall this season have been comparable to last season's, despite the uneven writing, re-devotion to running original material, more risky host choices and losing Wiig and Samberg.

mrjimmyjames

[17]Apr 29, 2013

Ruckhappy wrote:

Woodstein wrote:
    As Jimmy Fallon and Maya Rudolph proved, alumni who were widely disliked upon their departure can still host good episodes, but there usually needs to be some time before they come back.

Neither Jimmy or Maya were widely disliked when they left. Maya was much-missed, and apparently Jimmy had a devoted following of female fans who were willing to forgive him any amount of corpsing. Really, the last person to leave the cast as disliked as Wiig was Chris Kattan, both cases where their good work was overshadowed by corrosive overuse of their over-the-top characters.

What's amazing is that only a day after it was announced it's becoming clear that this may be the biggest hosting gaffe that Lorne has made since Steven Segal. Even people who like Wiig are saying it's too soon. Plus she's going to be sandwiched between the always-funny Galifinakis and what is likely to be a star-studded finale with Affleck becoming a Five-Timer.

Correct. If Jimmy and Maya were disliked then they wouldn't be doing shows that were also run by Lorne. (Late Night and Up All Night)

I'd love to know the whole story about Kattan. All I know is Tracy didn't like him or Oteri.

mrjimmyjames

[18]Apr 29, 2013

Woodstein wrote:
    Eddie Murphy and Bill Murray were the only other two alumni I can think of who hosted the season after they left, but those were special cases (Murphy was an incredibly popular movie star, and Murray was brought in when the show was struggling under a new producer). .

True. And unlike Murphy, I don't think we can consider Wiig a fully fledged movie star...yet. It's getting there. But really only major movie so far: Bridesmaids.

HelloStuart

[19]May 2, 2013
    • level: 63
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    jcav422 wrote:

Disaster? More like a slog. One can argue that Wiigy is hosting too soon; then again, her cameo in Short/Macca felt almost like an afterthought.

Who's got the record for earliest hosting after leaving? (Chevy?) This is awfully too soon.

Eddie Murphy hosted a mere nine months after leaving the show, Bill Murray hosted almost a year after he left, and Chevy is a distant third (one year, four months).

Ruckhappy

[20]May 4, 2013

By my reckoning, pre-'85 is the "dead ball" era of SNL in terms of records, stats or whatever. When Lorne came back is when the show was run from the perspective of being an ongoing enterprise, and then later some kind of hallowed institution. In the 28 seasons that Lorne has run the show since his return, the likes of Carvey, Hartman, Ferrell, Fey and Poehler have left the show and later returned to host, plus the likes of Spade, Shannon, Morgan, Conan, Stiller...and I'm probably forgetting more. Rudolph. Myers. In that list of names are many undeniable greats in the history of the show. None of them were invited back to host the year after they left...until Wiig.

Why Wiig?

mrjimmyjames

[22]May 4, 2013

Ruckhappy wrote:

By my reckoning, pre-'85 is the "dead ball" era of SNL in terms of records, stats or whatever. When Lorne came back is when the show was run from the perspective of being an ongoing enterprise, and then later some kind of hallowed institution. In the 28 seasons that Lorne has run the show since his return, the likes of Carvey, Hartman, Ferrell, Fey and Poehler have left the show and later returned to host, plus the likes of Spade, Shannon, Morgan, Conan, Stiller...and I'm probably forgetting more. Rudolph. Myers. In that list of names are many undeniable greats in the history of the show. None of them were invited back to host the year after they left...until Wiig.

Why Wiig?

I want to say that at least a minimum of almost two seasons should have been waited before inviting her back to host. Let her get her career started and then come back with some big movie to promote. If none of the others you listed were invited back this quickly then she should not have been. There's no way she was as good as many of the cast members that had to wait longer (Hartman, Carvey!). I would have liked to see Lorne invite back someone else to the show, maybe someone who hasn't been on in a while. Robert Downey Jr. ?