Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Kristen Wiig/Vampire Weekend (5/11/13)

Ruckhappy

[23]May 4, 2013
    • level: 9

rishabhpb wrote:
    Well, she IS in a bunch of upcoming movies, highly irregular for someone who just left the show. I don't know how many projects Ferrell had lined up when he was leaving.

One small, troubled movie at the moment and nothing else scheduled for release for the next 3-6 months.

rishabhpb wrote:
    Or they just really missed her.

A third of the current cast barely even knows her.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

JustinRAn

[25]May 4, 2013
    • level: 12
    rishabhpb wrote:
    Ruckhappy wrote:

rishabhpb wrote:
    Well, she IS in a bunch of upcoming movies, highly irregular for someone who just left the show. I don't know how many projects Ferrell had lined up when he was leaving.

One small, troubled movie at the moment and nothing else scheduled for release for the next 3-6 months.

rishabhpb wrote:
    Or they just really missed her.

A third of the current cast barely even knows her.

Still a lot of projects though... season 39 premiere would have been more fitting.

And I meant the writing staff missed her... I would love to see her share screentime evenly with Kate.

Share? Screentime? Evenly? HA-HA-HA!!! I needed that laugh thanks. I think the last episode she shared screen time was the Taylor Lautner episode.

Ruckhappy

[26]May 5, 2013

rishabhpb wrote:
    And I meant the writing staff missed her... I would love to see her share screentime evenly with Kate.

I suspect that the writers who may have missed Wiig--certain senior writers who always had time to write another Secret Word for her but no time to work with the newer cast--are the same writers who checked out for the season weeks ago, leaving poor Vince Vaugh's ass hanging in the wind with no decent sketches to play.

JustinRAn

[27]May 5, 2013
    Ruckhappy wrote:

rishabhpb wrote:

I suspect that the writers who may have missed Wiig--certain senior writers who always had time to write another Secret Word for her but no time to work with the newer cast--are the same writers who checked out for the season weeks ago, leaving poor Vince Vaugh's ass hanging in the wind with no decent sketches to play.

aka Lazy writers who just want to phone in 1/2 the show by writing Wiig centered sketches?

Hennes81

[28]May 5, 2013
    • level: 6

mrjimmyjames wrote:

If none of the others you listed were invited back this quickly then she should not have been.

Do we really know those others haven't been asked in their first season of absence? Maybe some of them had been invited but they wanted to wait for a year and Wiig loves doing SNL so badly that she couldn't refuse.
    Or someone else was booked but had to cancel, Lorne tried to get someone who is used to do SNL and Wiig was the best available .

Of course those are just theories but you should consider them as much as "The writers are just lazy" or "They like Wiig more than Hartman".

I get that Wiig wasn't loved by all fans but this isn't the end of the world. Who ever managed to watch seasons 36 and 37 shouldn't freak about one (!) show in season 38.

jcav422

[29]May 5, 2013
    • level: 2
    Predictions:
    The Lawrence Welk Show (cold open) [McCarthy & Hamm Cameos?]
    Monologue talking about the new girls in the cast
    Secret Word (ugh)
    Gilly or Penelope

Ruckhappy

[30]May 5, 2013

Hennes81 wrote:
    Or someone else was booked but had to cancel, Lorne tried to get someone who is used to do SNL and Wiig was the best available .

They could easily have gotten someone else to host, someone experienced and popular. If they can get Hamm to cameo this week, they could have gotten him to host next week. Amy Poehler was just on Late Night and mentioned that she was chillin' in New York for the time being now that Park & Rec was wrapped for the season. Lorne has a pretty deep bullpen of experienced hosts upon which he can draw these days. No way did they need to ask Wiig to host.

As to other alumni refusing to host right away after leaving, that seems highly unlikely. Everyone except Wiig who has left the show since, well, forever has needed to stay in Lorne's good graces. If there was someone they would have asked to host the following year after leaving, it would have been Ferrell. They were really afraid about losing him. But they didn't.

When Lorne has been running the show, no former member of cast has ever hosted the year after they left. From that it's reasonable to infer they were not asked because no one was going to cross Lorne whilst nursing a fledgling post-SNL career.

There's just no explanation for it other than that Lorne wants Wiig to host again right away.

mrjimmyjames

[31]May 5, 2013
    • level: 7

Hennes81 wrote:

Do we really know those others haven't been asked in their first season of absence?

I would assume (IMO) that would be the case. But the thing is really that when someone leaves the show, it is a good thing to stay away from hosting for at least two seasons IMO. It's not as if she's loved by everyone like Will Ferrell or Phil Hartman; if they had hosted a year after leaving I don't think i would have minded it. The show simply needs a break from her, she wore out her welcome with the audience by the time she left. It's not that I don't like her, she's clearly very talented and maybe the most talented female performer on the show (Justin will disagree). It's that when the 09-10 season came along the show exhausted her as if she was Eddie Murphy and ever since she's had a mixed reception from the audience. What she did was great while it was contained but when she started to appear in every sketch every character she debuted became so grating and similar. She needed to leave at least a year or two before she finally did. And now as soon as possible she's back as host. The audience is still trying to recover from her sabotage of the show.

mrjimmyjames

[32]May 5, 2013

Ruckhappy wrote:

They could easily have gotten someone else to host, someone experienced and popular. If they can get Hamm to cameo this week, they could have gotten him to host next week. Amy Poehler was just on Late Night and mentioned that she was chillin' in New York for the time being now that Park & Rec was wrapped for the season. Lorne has a pretty deep bullpen of experienced hosts upon which he can draw these days. No way did they need to ask Wiig to host.

As to other alumni refusing to host right away after leaving, that seems highly unlikely. Everyone except Wiig who has left the show since, well, forever has needed to stay in Lorne's good graces. If there was someone they would have asked to host the following year after leaving, it would have been Ferrell. They were really afraid about losing him. But they didn't.

When Lorne has been running the show, no former member of cast has ever hosted the year after they left. From that it's reasonable to infer they were not asked because no one was going to cross Lorne whilst nursing a fledgling post-SNL career.

There's just no explanation for it other than that Lorne wants Wiig to host again right away.

Correct. Lorne must think that the audience is dying for her. I think he doesn't realize how tired the audience was of her before she left.

I'd be cool with Amy Poehler hosting.

Ruckhappy

[33]May 5, 2013

mrjimmyjames wrote:
    Correct. Lorne must think that the audience is dying for her. I think he doesn't realize how tired the audience was of her before she left.

I think he is aware of the Wiig-fatigue issue, but he just doesn't care. That's why I'm saying, "Why Wiig?" Because it seems to be a deliberate move on his part to have Wiig--specifically her--host this season. I can think of no practical reason why he's doing it.

mrjimmyjames wrote:
    I'd be cool with Amy Poehler hosting.

I'd be cool with Ana Gasteyer hosting instead of Wiig. Or Ana and Parnell. Why not? Suburgatory is a modest hit and they are two of the best ensemble players SNL has ever had.

mrjimmyjames

[34]May 5, 2013

Ruckhappy wrote:

I'd be cool with Ana Gasteyer hosting instead of Wiig. Or Ana and Parnell. Why not? Suburgatory is a modest hit and they are two of the best ensemble players SNL has ever had.

Nothing against those two but I can't see that. They've never been big enough to host. Last I heard Suburgatory was on the bubble. I still can't believe Molly Shannon hosted once; she's always in something but it's never a significant role.

mrjimmyjames

[35]May 6, 2013

JustinRAn wrote:

Share? Screentime? Evenly? HA-HA-HA!!! I needed that laugh thanks. I think the last episode she shared screen time was the Taylor Lautner episode.

Hilarious. And so true.

Edited on 05/06/2013 2:53pm

jcav422

[36]May 8, 2013
    I'm very excited for Wiig, but with interviews and promos, it's like the cast is bowing down to her. Fred in the promos is like what characters are you going to do? Same with Taran in an interview. Bill is doing the same thing also

TheDiamondDog

[37]May 8, 2013
    • level: 61

jcav422 wrote:
    I'm very excited for Wiig, but with interviews and promos, it's like the cast is bowing down to her. Fred in the promos is like what characters are you going to do? Same with Taran in an interview. Bill is doing the same thing also

And I could go without seeing certain characters. Why do I have a funny feeling all her characters might make a comeback?

jcav422

[38]May 8, 2013
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

jcav422 wrote:

And I could go without seeing certain characters. Why do I have a funny feeling all her characters might make a comeback?

I feel like it's literally going to be a show of just her characters, maybe adding her into Girlfriends Talk Show and possibly The Californians (ugh)

JustinRAn

[39]May 8, 2013
    I think We're all forgetting the BIG Question:

Will Nasim, Vanessa, Aidy, Cecily, and Kate be on the show or have speaking parts?

mrjimmyjames

[40]May 9, 2013

JustinRAn wrote:
    I think We're all forgetting the BIG Question: Will Nasim, Vanessa, Aidy, Cecily, and Kate be on the show or have speaking parts?

Very good.

I think Kate will.

Ruckhappy

[42]May 10, 2013

JustinRAn wrote:
    I think We're all forgetting the BIG Question: Will Nasim, Vanessa, Aidy, Cecily, and Kate be on the show or have speaking parts?

I suspect that it will mostly be sketches with Kristen working opposite Fred, Bill and Jason, with Cecily and Aidy roped into playing whatever female secondary roles as needed. I really doubt you'll see Nasim or Vanessa play a sketch lead opposite Wiig. Maybe Kate, if they can come up with a sketch that meshes their two styles.

It'll be essentially two shows happening coincidentally: Kristen working with 3-4 of the veteran guys, and the rest of the cast doing their own stuff. And everyone will be looking to see who hugs Wiig during the goodnights.

warqueen

[43]May 11, 2013
    • level: 6

This time last year, in the season 38 predictions thread I started; on page 4 I predicted that Kristen would either the season 38 finale, or possibly season 39 opener in Sept. 2013, but due to my mistaken belief that either dates would be the 750th episode. Still, I was only off by one episode.

And it could still be the de facto season finale, barring if for some reason in the next few days there is a major national calamity or tragedy. (I AM talking directly to you North Korea).

danharr

[44]May 11, 2013
    • level: 45

Da fuq? Jodi Arias and Bengazi awful mashup and then a Ariel Castro throw in.