Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Kristen Wiig/Vampire Weekend (5/11/13)

JustinRAn

[87]May 11, 2013
    • level: 12
    danharr wrote:

Okay now that last bit was a disgrace once again I ask what da fuq?

I wish people didn't know who da funk Wiig was.

Experiment: Everyone watch this episode 2-2.5x and skip the musical act and commercials. That's what Bridesmaids was to me.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

layton2012

[88]May 11, 2013
    • level: 2
    Overall, not a terrible episode, could have been better, if you like Wiig and her characters, I think you will enjoy this episode, otherwise, this episode won't change your mind.

jcav422

[89]May 11, 2013
    This episode disappointed me. Lawrence Welk should have been the cold open. The real cold open was the least funny since the Paula Broadwell one. Monologue was musical and i was kind of angry about that. 1-800-Flowers was ok. The Californians literally made me want to leave the room except for Maya's cameo. Welk and Target weren't so bad, the Disney Channel thing was strange. The acupuncture skit made me want to cringe because of all the blood but it was nice to see Aidy in a leading role and to see a sketch that wasn't a recurring Wiig character. The restaurant skit was just filler, and the CD commercial made me giggle because it's true. I was hoping for more special guests, like Alec Baldwin or someone as the beach guy in Lawrence Welk. Also, i would have rather seen Sue than the date sketch. I miss Penelope too. Triangle Sally during VW's performance would've been a nice touch too. As for VW, they were ok, but "Unbelievers" was much stronger than "Diane Young". Love both though

JustinRAn

[90]May 11, 2013
    First Review from CarterMatt.com and It's Win more than a Loss?

http://cartermatt.com/61508/saturday-night-live-review-garth-kat-target-lady-moms-a-ghost-kristen-wiig-lawrence-welk/

If you don't want to Put it in into the search box, I'll give you the marks
    Monologue- "Kristen hilariously acting like she was so familiar with the show, only to later show she had no clue where anything was."

1800 Flowers- “SNL” loves to mock this holiday, and this one (for a certain flower brand) was probably the best one ever after Kristen tried to celebrate her annoying, terrible, and gossip-loving mother."

Aw Nuts!- This was demented, hilarious, and all kinds of awesome.

Lawrence Welk- "Personally, this worked mostly because it’s been forever since we have seen it on the show. Plus, it brought us another great Wiig character after Gilly had a cameo during the monologue."

Update- "Then, there was Garth & Kat. We weren’t even their biggest fans back when Wiig was on the show, but seeing them back at this point was a treat with their impromptu musical performances."

Target Lady- "One of our favorite Wiig sketches was back, with great jokes about same-sex marriage, maxi pads, driving to Florida, and other assorted nonsense. This sketch is really all about the writing and Kristen’s performance, and it worked every time."

Bloody Massage- "We just have to give major props to Aidy Bryant and Kristen for managing to keep their cool in a sketch that literally had enough flake blood tossed around to make Dexter Morgan barf."

And What they hated
    The Californian's- "While we said that tonight was really the only time that “SNL” could do this sketch again and get away with it, that doesn’t mean that we legitimately wanted to see it happen."

The Dating sketch- "Some sketches at the end of the night are funny. This one, about women cougaring over 6th-graders, was just uncomfortable. Also, who imagined that Cecily Strong would project more than the veteran Wiig?"

Am skipping the Cold Open cause she wasn't in it.

JustinRAn

[91]May 11, 2013
    Blog.Zap2It.com

"It was a fantastic homecoming for Wiig, reminding us all how valuable a fixture she was during her run on the show."

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2013/05/saturday-night-live-recap-kristen-wiig-returns-home-with-a-little-help-from-maya-rudolph-and-jonah-h.html

Ruckhappy

[92]May 12, 2013
    • level: 8

JustinRAn wrote:
    Blog.Zap2It.com "It was a fantastic homecoming for Wiig, reminding us all how valuable a fixture she was during her run on the show." http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2013/05/saturday-night-live-recap-kristen-wiig-returns-home-with-a-little-help-from-maya-rudolph-and-jonah-h.html

Someone's been paying off the heroin addicts of the blog-o-sphere to try to seed opinion with false adulation, I guess. Not going work.

JustinRAn

[93]May 12, 2013
    Rewired.HollywoodReporter.com

http://rewired.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/snl-recap-kristen-wiig-charms-521258

"Kristen Wiig Charms in Return to Live TV"

"Wiig and Cecily Strong teamed up for a totally weird sketch that somehow worked. The women played two 30-somethings working in finance who were double dating with a pair of sixth graders (Bobby Moynihan and Tim Robinson). The women wreaked of ditzy desperation, remarking on how old they felt because the boys didn’t know who Steve Urkel was, and fawning over one of the young lad’s knowledge of dinosaurs."

"In her ridiculously charming opening monologue, Wiig sang to the tune of The Pointer Sisters’ “I’m so Excited” to show how good she felt about being back on SNL. She explored backstage to prove how well she knew the show's inner workings, but at every turn she got the details totally wrong."

JustinRAn

[94]May 12, 2013
    FINALLY 1 BAD REVIEW!!!
    http://www.mediaite.com/tv/snls-acupuncture-gone-wrong-sketch-goes-for-the-hilarious-gore-with-lots-and-lots-of-blood/

"For SNL, a simple visit to the acupuncturist’s office turns into what is perhaps the show’s goriest sketch in recent memory."

Ruckhappy

[95]May 12, 2013

Those are just shills you're citing anyway. Flacks. PR droids. They wrote those reviews before they even watched the show. We'll see what the real critics say tomorrow and Monday.

Woodstein

[96]May 12, 2013
    • level: 14
    It would probably be easier to enjoy last night's episode if I wasn't a regular viewer. Stuff like the Lawrence Welk show was funny the first time around, but seeing it as much as I have made me dread it appearing. Even bits that had grown on me in the past like the Target Lady felt kind of grating.

Seeing Wiig's characters again might have been more enjoyable had she not hosted so soon. Other show alumni reprised old roles that may have gotten tiresome when they were a cast member upon returning to host, but usually enough time has passed for nostalgia to set in, and it is interesting to see them interact with a new cast. Molly Shannon's episode from Year 32 was a good example of that. The show probably decided to do Wiig's recurring bits out of a sense of obligation rather than laziness, but the end effect was the same.

jcav422

[97]May 12, 2013
    Thinking about last night's show, it was way too soon for her to host. The whole show felt like a stale, hostless episode of Season 37 with Cecily, Aidy, and Tim thrown in. They should have at least waited until the cast shifted a bit. It was nice seeing Lawrence Welk and Target lady again, but i was more amused and didn't laugh. The only times I laughed at Dooneese were the first time and on Wiig's final show.They should have saved Wiig's spot for Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Amy Poehler, someone from the office, or someone who's been away for a while. But get used to Wiig hosting guys, she's going to be the next Ferrell and Fey, where each time they host the episodes get progressively more stale and boring.

TheDiamondDog

[98]May 12, 2013
    • level: 61

I describe it as okay. It wasn't cringe-worthy, as I feared. I felt Kristen was more low key than I expected. It wasn't tremendously funny. But not bad.

JM5000

[100]May 12, 2013
    • level: 7

I think in the end, your opinion of the episode will reflect what you think of Wiig overall. I respect her and the effort she puts into her characters...But I still hate the characters themselves. The fact that her characters took up half the show is a minus for her...But at the same time, she was willing to give more screentime to the other ladies than she did as a cast member, even playing straight man (or woman) to Kate in the flower commercial and letting Aidy and Cecily co-star with her in some sketches. The acupuncture sketch was cringe-inducing, but I enjoyed how she and Aidy worked off each other and put together a good "run-around-and-panic-while-hiding-something" routine. Even the more awkward sketches like the child-dating sketch were saved a bit by the performances. My final critique: Not as bad as I thought it would be, Wiig put on a good performance...But she wasn't the best, so hopefully she won't be back within the next two years (if she is, I have some words for the executives...)

Vampire Weekend: Good and energetic, with some nice singing...The auto-tune-whatever voice was awkward though...

JosephCecil

[101]May 12, 2013
    • level: 1
    Is there a weird beef between Kristen Wiig and Jason Sudeikis? Except for skits where they HAD to directly interact, Jason seemed to be positioning himself about as far away from her as possible. Like, "somewhere over on Jimmy Fallon's set" far. Watch the opening monologue and Jason moves so he's directly hidden behind everyone. Same for the end of the show. Considering the same thing sorta happened when Wiig had her going away bit last time, I have to wonder if there's some sort of problem between them.

Overall, weak episode. WIth her gone, I finally can see how unfunny her characters really were. Target Lady and Gilly are just bad.

Ruckhappy

[102]May 12, 2013

JosephCecil wrote:
    Is there a weird beef between Kristen Wiig and Jason Sudeikis?

There have been rumors of such, but last time the subject came up Stu rightfully chided me for discussing gossip so I'll refrain. I think it can be fairly noted, without delving into gossip, that current and former SNL cast are unusually reticent about backstage interpersonal dynamics, so you're not going to hear much from inside the show.

JustinRAn

[103]May 12, 2013
    Ruck, I'm just curious, How does Wiig's episode compare to Fallon's episode?

Ruckhappy

[104]May 12, 2013

Hmmm, I'm forgetting whether you liked or hated Fallon's show, so you may like or hate my comparison.

First off, Jimmy didn't resurrect nearly as many old bits of his as Kristen did. Really, only the Boston Teens cold open and the musical novelty with Sanz, Kattan and Morgan were reprises. His Regis and Bieber were impressions he developed after he left SNL. And that's the point right there, that Jimmy came back to host after such an appreciable gap (even though he'd been doing lots of cameos), he seemed much more fresh as a host. The Jimmy that hosted last year was a much different guy than the one who left in '04.

If you want to talk about similarities between the two shows, sure, the singing monologues were close, but Kristen's was very off. For one thing--and am I the only one who thinks this?--her singing sounded terribly flat to me. Also, the energy was just dead. Jimmy really riled up the mojo and kept it up all through his twists and rushes through the corridors. Kristen seemed more like a limp fish. And then they screwed up the Gilly insert--which was a stupid idea anyway--which meant that the intro to the monologue close was off. I mean, it was an uninspired idea to start and then they couldn't bring it off.

(By the way, was that the 8th floor writers room that Kristen walked past right before she Tazed Kenan? I've always wondered where it is in the 8th floor layout.)

It's easier for me to point out what was good about Jimmy's show. I felt he meshed well with the cast at the time, even though he hadn't worked with most of them. I thought he was quite a good ensemble player in the War Horse sketch, and he did his damndest to make that lame "Don't make me sing" sketch work. He also caught a break in that the sketch he wasn't in, Jesus Visits Tebow, was hilarious and got a lot of good press on its own.

I didn't like how larded up Jimmy's show was with cameos, but the dueling Update anchor teams was an inspired bit. Comparatively, the cameos in Kristen's show just seemed pointless.

And the goodnights on the ice rink, in the bee costume, was such a love note to classic SNL...that really got to me.

What did Kristen do? Another Garth & Kat. Kind of says it all, no?

HelloStuart

[105]May 12, 2013
    • level: 63
    JM5000 wrote:

I think in the end, your opinion of the episode will reflect what you think of Wiig overall. I respect her and the effort she puts into her characters... but I still hate the characters themselves.

THANK YOU, JM. With all due respect to Ruck and Mr. An, you finally provide a different insight on Kristen that isn't just the same hate-watching rhetoric that's been rehashed in this forum for the past four seasons. We get it guys, you don't like Wiigy. On the other hand, I'll give Ruck credit for being slightly more verbose and understated in his vitriol.

HelloStuart

[106]May 12, 2013
    • level: 63
    My thoughts:

+ After a few staid topical cold opens in a row, tonight's Downey-penned C-SPAN lampoon mostly met its target. This deconstruction of the Benghazi non-controversy, the subsequent congressional hearing, and all-around ramifications was a little goofy but largely spot-on. They even managed to include references to Jody Arias (NP) and Charlie Ramsey-- er, I mean Ariel Castro (BM). Also, what was up with Taran and his character's name switch?

+ I believe there is an unofficial rule stating that whenever an ex-cast member hosts, their monologue should be a musical parody, all-cast, cameo-laden extravaganza. I'm not complaining per se, but it sure seems like that's the case. It could've been more polished, though.

+ I loved "1-800Flowers.com" and not simply because it was funny. As Ruck suggested (predicted?) in post #42 on this thread, Kate and Wiigy went toe-to-toe and the end result was almost like prodigy and mentor. Kristen even played straight against Kate's daffy mom, which you only see once on a blue moon.

+ For those of you that hate-watch "The Californians," it's meant to be the last word on soap opera tropes. It's less of a sketch as it is a satire of a dying, once-proud genre of television. With that said, Kristen broke character more times tonight than she did in her last two years on the show.

+ Can someone explain that random, blink-and-you-miss-it fat guy in his undies in the "Aw Nuts, Mom's a Ghost" sketch? Is this a Korean horror parody reference that I'm missing?

+ Both Army and Seth seem to have a tickle in their throat this evening.

+ The acupuncture sketch. Yowza. Shades of Aykroyd as Julia Child, only more graphic.

+ As weird and potentially creepy as this sketch might have been, I liked the "Eddy's" sketch. Bobby and Robbo were perfect as the unassuming preteens, and Cecily offered a certain energy that matched Kristen's without necessarily overshadowing it.

+ How was Vampire Weekend? This preview of their third album seems like a slick departure, but at the same time a logical step forward. The vocal effects on "Diane Young" were a tad cloying, but I loved that big, fat baritone sax. The second song (I think it's titled "I'm Not Excited") also benefited from a vaguely jazz bent, courtesy of a Hammond B-3 organ.

+ Did Kristen Wiig come to host too soon? Perhaps. Did her presence remind us of how much we missed her? Kinda. A few recurring characters from recent memory, most of which had run their course, resurfaced throughout the evening to mixed results. The show as a whole, however was almost like Wiigy was running a clinic for the five current women on how to dominate, pulverize, and all-around own a sketch. At the same time, Wiigy came back so soon that one might assume no one was hosting at all.

6/10

Ruckhappy

[107]May 13, 2013

HelloStuart wrote:
    On the other hand, I'll give Ruck credit for being slightly more verbose and understated in his vitriol.

No, no, no, I don't hate Wiig. In fact, I hate being counted as someone who hates Wiig, because I like so much of her work. What I hate is this metastasizing weirdness of Lorne trying to turn Kristen into the Cleopatra of SNL these past 2 years. Which is something you can deny, Stu, but not dismiss.

Having watched the show again, I'm a little more sanguine about it but it's still a bloated mess. Sorry, it is not a matter of whether you like Wiig, it's a matter of whether you enjoy competently-staged comedy. Frankly, Wiig has benefited rather too much from more informed fans of SNL who overreact to Wiig's detractors by being her rabid defenders. If you were put in an isolation tank for a year, contemplating your own navel, and then shown those iterations of Garth & Kat or The Californians, would you laugh at them or want to cut your jugular? Be honest: the latter.

I did like Kristen in the ghost mother ad spoof, so I suppose I'll have to upgrade this episode to Top 20 Worst. But it's awful. Objectively awful.