Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Lady Gaga (11/16/13)

warqueen

[41]Nov 17, 2013
    • level: 6

Here is one official press review of GaGa's episode:http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=839448

Lady Gaga on 'SNL': Madonna bad covers, 'Cheap Applause' and self-deprecating jokes

(post edited for redundancy)

Edited on 11/19/2013 12:23pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

warqueen

[42]Nov 17, 2013

Here is a second official press review, which is more extensive:

http://popwatch.ew.com/2013/11/17/saturday-night-live-recap-lady-gaga/

Ruckhappy

[43]Nov 17, 2013
    • level: 9

You guys are being rather sanguine this week. Gaga herself was alright, but the writing of the live sketches was poorly developed. They felt like first drafts of sketches, as if they hadn't run them through the usual Thursday rewrites to punch up the jokes. The initial ideas were good but the jokes were tepid.

The best sketch of the week (that we know about) was the Female Sea Captains sketch that was cut after dress. It's up on the NBC site. Seven female characters with lines in an SNL sketch--is that a new record?

HelloStuart

[44]Nov 19, 2013
    • level: 63
    Ruckhappy wrote:

The best sketch of the week (that we know about) was the Female Sea Captains sketch that was cut after dress. It's up on the NBC site. Seven female characters with lines in an SNL sketch--is that a new record?

Wouldn't it tie the record from the cheerleaders sketch from Miley Cyrus' show last month?

HelloStuart

[45]Nov 19, 2013
    My thoughts:

+ Another week, another "obvious" cold open pick. Toronto Mayor Rob Ford, played here with Farley-esque gusto by Bobby Moynihan, has transcended from local embarassment to national boondoogle (for Canada, anyway). Incorporating the 60 Minutes/Benghazi flap was also a very clever touch.

+ While we're on the subject of obvious, you knew at some point Gaga would sing "Applause." However, I doubt anyone assumed she would turn her hit into a cabaret-style number for the monologue, in which she explained the difference between organic applause and blatant groveling for audience cheers. For the second sketch in a row, Bobby plays an amiable creep.

+ I had a sketch in my spec packet that was quite similar to "Whaaat? The Worst Cover Songs of All Time." Welp, back to the drawing board...

+ Speaking of "Whaaat?" whoever wrote this sketch finally capitalized on Aidy's resemblance to Adele. The cackling worked, though I doubt Ms. Bryant sounds anything like the Oscar/Grammy winner...

+ Tonight's Update was very hit and miss on Seth and Cece's end, but the commentaries were a delight. Mr. Senior (KT) spoke frenziedly on behalf of the growing number of Americans that are celebrating Christmas much too early. A spirited remote further augmented this old crank's viewpoint to mild success. Meanwhile, a potential recurring character was begat with Jebidiah Atkinson (TK), the alleged author of a newspaper op-ed that skewed the Gettysburg Address. I'd love to here him slam a few more famous speeches. NEXT!

+ Is it just me, or do the Good Neighbor guys really like existential conflicts and fever dreams? I'm starting to see a pattern of sorts...

+ If you were looking for a taboo-bending performance from Gaga, her first song delivered that in spades. "Do What U Want" started off modestly, with a glittery jumpsuit and a lot of Sally O'Malley-style kicking and strutting. Then R. Kelly (his first SNL appearance, believe it or not) struts in and throws Ms. Germonatta around like a rag doll. On the flip side of that, "Gypsy" (not a Fleetwood Mac cover) initially evokes Jim Steinman but veers into the awkward with muted guitars, another Madonna imitation, and a random shirtless guy.

+ I can't pinpoint why, but "Upper West Side, 2063" felt like an Ebersol-era sketch. Something about the premise --Gaga in her twilight years, a lonely hag waxing nostalgia with her superintendent-- felt both hokey and clever. Maybe because Joan Rivers and Christopher Reeve appeared in similar sketches nearly 30 years ago. It's an easy conceit, and allows the host to show some self-deprecation.

+ From the onset, I can't blame anyone for having mixed feelings about Gaga hosting. For all her cloying eccentricities, she's an entertainer first and foremost, and for most of the show the weirdness was kept at a minimum. As such, there was only small morsels of diva behavior tonight, as an awkwardly timed one-week layover allowed the cast and writers to get their creative juices reinvigorated. I know we're only six episodes in, but this transitional season is going better than expected.

6.5/10

avmon

[46]Nov 19, 2013
    • level: 16
    HelloStuart wrote:

+ I can't pinpoint why, but "Upper West Side, 2063" felt like an Ebersol-era sketch. Something about the premise --Gaga in her twilight years, a lonely hag waxing nostalgia with her superintendent-- felt both hokey and clever. Maybe because Joan Rivers and Christopher Reeve appeared in similar sketches nearly 30 years ago. It's an easy conceit, and allows the host to show some self-deprecation.

6.5/10
    I actually was thinking of that sketch Ms. Rivers did with Eddie Murphy as their elderly selves when that aired but I forgot about Reeve playing Superman as an old man until you just reminded me of that...

HelloStuart

[47]Nov 19, 2013
    avmon wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:

I actually was thinking of that sketch Ms. Rivers did with Eddie Murphy as their elderly selves when that aired but I forgot about Reeve playing Superman as an old man until you just reminded me of that...

Thanks. Never mind that Rivers is 25 years older than Murphy...

Ruckhappy

[48]Nov 20, 2013

HelloStuart wrote:
    Ruckhappy wrote:

Wouldn't it tie the record from the cheerleaders sketch from Miley Cyrus' show last month?

Duh, of course. But interesting that for the Cyrus and Gaga shows they wrote a sketch that got the female host on stage with all the women in the cast. Someone in the writers' room is getting a clue about working the girls fully.

Hennes81

[49]Nov 20, 2013

HelloStuart wrote:
    Ruckhappy wrote:

Also "Waking up with Kimye" had 6 female characters/impressions (Gaga and everone except Aidy) plus 6 female extras.

On the other hand I'm still waiting for some full cast live skits which they have done multiple times last season (ok, full cast minus Seth).

HelloStuart

[50]Nov 21, 2013
    Ruckhappy wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    Ruckhappy wrote:

Duh, of course. But interesting that for the Cyrus and Gaga shows they wrote a sketch that got the female host on stage with all the women in the cast. Someone in the writers' room is getting a clue about working the girls fully.

Having more female writers certainly helps.

I'm still not sure which sketches my friend Claire wrote. I want to say she had a hand in the cheerleaders sketch...

Ruckhappy

[51]Nov 22, 2013

You actually know her? I though she came out of the L.A. scene, not Chicago.

That said, I'm not sure that anyone wants to take credit for that cheerleaders sketch....

HelloStuart

[52]Nov 24, 2013
    Ruckhappy wrote:

That said, I'm not sure that anyone wants to take credit for that cheerleaders sketch....

Her brother John was already in LA when he was first hired. Claire was born on the northwest side of Chicago and attended Yale.

JustinRAn

[53]Mar 1, 2014
    • level: 12
    Ruckhappy wrote:

You could probably say that about 1/4 of most episodes.

HelloStuart

[54]Mar 2, 2014
    JustinRAn wrote:
    Ruckhappy wrote:

You could probably say that about 1/4 of most episodes.

*shrugs* Everyone has that one thing they regret. :/