Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Louis C.K./Fun. (11/03/12)

danharr

[24]Nov 3, 2012
    • level: 45

Diamond Dog called it first song up and they somewhat sound like the radio which is a plus for them. I was surprised to see NY produced these weirdos but at least it shows the city is diverse.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

JustinRAn

[25]Nov 3, 2012
    • level: 12
    Is it just me or does that main singer look like a mini John Mulaney?

JustinRAn

[26]Nov 3, 2012
    Based on this episode, I think Seth should subscribe to that 10 jokes a day thing.

Royce7815

[27]Nov 3, 2012
    • level: 4

I wonder how that ZOG sketch went over in dress rehearsal

danharr

[30]Nov 3, 2012

WU was good not sure what to say about the Zog bit...

danharr

[31]Nov 3, 2012

Hotel check out was fun.

Royce7815

[33]Nov 3, 2012
    • level: 4

this new possible character that kate is doing, reminds me in a way of something Cheri Oteri might have done and i like that

danharr

[34]Nov 3, 2012

Barfly hook up wasn't bad funny limbs and sex organs all you need at last call lol. A good episode to take off some of the pre-election tension I liked it.

TheDiamondDog

[35]Nov 3, 2012
    • level: 61

I didn't think it was very funny. I loved the cold opening and the last skit. I loved fun., though I am a fan of the band. Nate was certainly smiling a lot. He seemed so happy. I was right with the two songs, though so wanted We Are Young. But this was the first time I watched the musical guest.

JustinRAn

[36]Nov 3, 2012
    Did Kenan break the 4th wall during that Barfly sketch?

I liked Fox & Friends, Cold Open, and all of Update. I think it peeked at Update personally.

83optics

[37]Nov 4, 2012
    • level: 6

learned:

* flooding in the studio...no? okay

* old ladies are the bomb! and the bone!

* just gonna check here and click on these "Australian" vids to confirm...

* fun.: are we having fun yet?

* thing is, i want to talk to such a girl at a party...huh? i wasn't looking at what she was saying...

* Zog needs a ram's horn which sound-syncs better with the blower.

* can you get pregnant from licking a bald head?

BuuYaa

[38]Nov 4, 2012
    • level: 2

this episode was okay, well i give it an "almost boring"

MY THOUGHTS :

-the cold open was hillarious. Strong and Pedrad killed that one entirely

-Robinson and Pharoah did not appaear AT ALL! What in THE HELL!!!!

-Pedrad only appeared in that cold open.Bayer only appeared in Fox&Friends. BUMMER!

Killam only appeared in Fox&Friends and briefly in that snowy skits I forgot its name. Ugh! Nothing to laugh at!

They used too much Sudeikis, Thompson, and Moynihan. Maybe that's why it's like almost boring. Like please! Thompson never cracked me up even once. Sudeikis is just plain funny, he's like funny but not like funny "ha-ha" that Killam or McKinnon would make you.

avmon

[39]Nov 4, 2012
    • level: 16

Things not mentioned: Took me awhile to realize that Trump was played by Sudeikis having been used to years of Hammond in the role. Quite hilarious. And among the "corrections" on "Fox and Friends" I paused on: Chef Boyardee is the Vice President of Italy. Then it later said he wasn't. Overall, funny enough show.

Edited on 11/05/2012 8:00am

JustinRAn

[40]Nov 4, 2012
    It's one of those shows like Reese Witherspoon's episode where it wasn't as great, But you have to give it a pass due to Hurricane Sandy. I think they should bring him back for a 2nd time to judge his hosting ability.

He said on Late Night that he picked his favorite sketches except for one. After watching, I wonder what his least-favorite sketches were.

JustinRAn

[41]Nov 4, 2012
    BuuYaa wrote:

this episode was okay, well i give it an "almost boring"

MY THOUGHTS :

-the cold open was hillarious. Strong and Pedrad killed that one entirely

-Robinson and Pharoah did not appaear AT ALL! What in THE HELL!!!!

-Pedrad only appeared in that cold open.Bayer only appeared in Fox&Friends. BUMMER!

Killam only appeared in Fox&Friends and briefly in that snowy skits I forgot its name. Ugh! Nothing to laugh at!

They used too much Sudeikis, Thompson, and Moynihan. Maybe that's why it's like almost boring. Like please! Thompson never cracked me up even once. Sudeikis is just plain funny, he's like funny but not like funny "ha-ha" that Killam or McKinnon would make you.

Jay was in the Lincoln sketch.

JustinRAn

[43]Nov 4, 2012
    I meant the sketches that were cut that he didn't like.

BuuYaa

[44]Nov 4, 2012
    • level: 2
    [QUOTE="JustinRAn"]
    BuuYaa wrote:

Jay was in the Lincoln sketch.

guess I didn't see him sorry
    but technically that was taped and not live. For me that didn't count.

JustinRAn

[45]Nov 4, 2012
    I wonder where Stu's review is?

HelloStuart

[46]Nov 5, 2012
    • level: 63
    My thoughts:
    + In the wake of this week's East Coast superstorm, the cold open would at the very least touch upon the tragedy and destruction. Lydia Callos, the ASL translator for New York's City Hall, had a standout moment during Mayor Bloomberg's press conference earlier in the week. Spoofing Callos could have meant making fun of the deaf, but Cecily and the writers dodged that with precision. Where Bloomberg/Callos was subtle and swift, NJ Gov. Chris Christie and his interpreter (NP) was blunt and overstated, but nevertheless funny.

+ The monologue simply let Louie do what he does best, and even when he writes spur-of-the-moment material like tonight's old lady anecdote he's a comedian to be reckoned with.

+ Apparently, Darrell Hammond wasn't available to reprise Trump. Suds was trying way too hard in an otherwise efficient "Fox & Friends" sketch.

+ On that note, the "Louie" parody with Abraham Lincoln was nothing short of brilliant. Did anyone read the credits?

+ That "Zog" sketch (a/k/a "Kylorian Mountain Pass") was probably too weird for its own good. The one hearty laugh in the sketch came from Kenan introducing himself, and the ending was a cop-out of sorts.

+ I don't hate Fun. They wear their Queen/ELO influence on their sleeve, though they struggle mightily to write hooks like their heroes. Nate Reuss is a compelling lead singer, if you don't mind that he's neurotic and yearning 80% of the time. My favorite moment was probably the breakdown at the end of "Carry On," their ballad-ish second song.

+ Give it up again for the ten-to-one sketch! So seldom has a hookup between two old barflies been portrayed so accurately.

+ Three weeks ago I was worried about Aidy. After tonight's bang-up job in "Lincoln" and as the social media expert on WU, my concerned had shifted away from Miss Bryant and towards poor, excluded Robbo.

+ There's something about pain and tragedy that often correlates with creativity. We are more focused under duress, and thus our strengths as an artist are adrenelized. In some ways Hurricane Sandy was the real host this week, rather than the greatest living comedian in America (though he was superb) and with that in mind tonight's show is a contender for best episode of the season. Considering the strong start to Year 38, that's saying something.

8/10

JustinRAn

[47]Nov 5, 2012
    HelloStuart wrote:
    My thoughts:
    + In the wake of this week's East Coast superstorm, the cold open would at the very least touch upon the tragedy and destruction. Lydia Callos, the ASL translator for New York's City Hall, had a standout moment during Mayor Bloomberg's press conference earlier in the week. Spoofing Callos could have meant making fun of the deaf, but Cecily and the writers dodged that with precision. Where Bloomberg/Callos was subtle and swift, NJ Gov. Chris Christie and his interpreter (NP) was blunt and overstated, but nevertheless funny.

+ The monologue simply let Louie do what he does best, and even when he writes spur-of-the-moment material like tonight's old lady anecdote he's a comedian to be reckoned with.

+ Apparently, Darrell Hammond wasn't available to reprise Trump. Suds was trying way too hard in an otherwise efficient "Fox & Friends" sketch.

+ On that note, the "Louie" parody with Abraham Lincoln was nothing short of brilliant. Did anyone read the credits?

+ That "Zog" sketch (a/k/a "Kylorian Mountain Pass") was probably too weird for its own good. The one hearty laugh in the sketch came from Kenan introducing himself, and the ending was a cop-out of sorts.

+ I don't hate Fun. They wear their Queen/ELO influence on their sleeve, though they struggle mightily to write hooks like their heroes. Nate Reuss is a compelling lead singer, if you don't mind that he's neurotic and yearning 80% of the time. My favorite moment was probably the breakdown at the end of "Carry On," their ballad-ish second song.

+ Give it up again for the ten-to-one sketch! So seldom has a hookup between two old barflies been portrayed so accurately.

+ Three weeks ago I was worried about Aidy. After tonight's bang-up job in "Lincoln" and as the social media expert on WU, my concerned had shifted away from Miss Bryant and towards poor, excluded Robbo.

+ There's something about pain and tragedy that often correlates with creativity. We are more focused under duress, and thus our strengths as an artist are adrenelized. In some ways Hurricane Sandy was the real host this week, rather than the greatest living comedian in America (though he was superb) and with that in mind tonight's show is a contender for best episode of the season. Considering the strong start to Year 38, that's saying something.

8/10

I thought you were going to say "The one laugh from the Zod sketch was the quick giggle McKinnon did."