Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Louis C.K./Sam Smith (3/29/2014)

JustinRAn

[1]Mar 8, 2014
    • level: 12

Yeah!

Edited on 03/19/2014 6:08pm
    Edited 4 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

JM5000

[2]Mar 8, 2014
    • level: 8

So looking him up, apparently he will be coming back to promote American Hustle...I didn't even know he was IN that movie! Of course, it was between him and several other hosts from last season (Renner and Lawrence) who were considered a disappointment by many...(Agree with Renner, actually liked Lawrence...) He was also considered by many to be one of the worst hosts last season, but I liked him enough that I think he deserves another shot...

HelloStuart

[3]Mar 8, 2014
    • level: 63
    JM5000 wrote:

So looking him up, apparently he will be coming back to promote American Hustle...I didn't even know he was IN that movie! Of course, it was between him and several other hosts from last season (Renner and Lawrence) who were considered a disappointment by many...(Agree with Renner, actually liked Lawrence...) He was also considered by many to be one of the worst hosts last season, but I liked him enough that I think he deserves another shot...

"Considered by many?" He scored an Emmy nomination, dude.

warqueen

[4]Mar 8, 2014
    • level: 6

HelloStuart wrote:
    JM5000 wrote:

yeah; and "apparently he will be coming back to promote American Hustle"? Uh. no, that has run its course, and he was a secondary supporting character in the movie. He is most likely coming on to promote the upcoming 4th season of 'Louie', which debuts on FX in May after a 20 month hiatus.

The surprise is as broad the is critical acclaim for his show is, the ratings for the cartoon series "Archer" is double, sometimes triple, and on a couple occasions. quadruple!, that of 'Louie'. His season 3 finale episode in Sept. 2012 got 0.43 million viewers; which is what the ratings are for Bobby's animated FX show 'Chozen' which got 0.49 million in its latest episode this week.

JM5000

[5]Mar 8, 2014

warqueen wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    JM5000 wrote:

yeah; and "apparently he will be coming back to promote American Hustle"? Uh. no, that has run its course, and he was a secondary supporting character in the movie. He is most likely coming on to promote the upcoming 4th season of 'Louie', which debuts on FX in May after a 20 month hiatus.

The surprise is as broad the is critical acclaim for his show is, the ratings for the cartoon series "Archer" is double, sometimes triple, and on a couple occasions. quadruple!, that of 'Louie'. His season 3 finale episode in Sept. 2012 got 0.43 million viewers; which is what the ratings are for Bobby's animated FX show 'Chozen' which got 0.49 million in its latest episode this week.

I don't see why he'd be on the show just to promote "Louie" when he did that last time...

evildevil97

[6]Mar 11, 2014
    • level: 26

3/29/2013????

JustinRAn

[7]Mar 11, 2014
    • level: 12

evildevil97 wrote:

3/29/2013????

Fixed Anyway, I was only luke warm with his last hosting. Only Press Conference, Fox & Friends, and Girl at a Party really stood out. Everything else was kinda slow (Mountain Pass, Hotel Fees) and I feel that Sandy caused that final day of rehearsal/punch up to not happen.

HelloStuart

[8]Mar 19, 2014
    Who is Sam Smith?

JM5000

[9]Mar 19, 2014

HelloStuart wrote:
    Who is Sam Smith?

Not sure, but he kinda sounds like a Justin Timberlake wannabe...

Is anyone else feeling like they're running out of musical guests worth bringing on?

HelloStuart

[10]Mar 19, 2014
    JM5000 wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    Who is Sam Smith?

Not sure, but he kinda sounds like a Justin Timberlake wannabe...

Is anyone else feeling like they're running out of musical guests worth bringing on?

In my opinion, it seems like SNL is prospecting. They're booking bona fide stars to host, with the assumption that pairing them with an emerging artist will give them a breakthrough.

Woodstein

[11]Mar 20, 2014
    • level: 14
    There's plenty of precedent for the show booking new acts that are big on the other side of the Atlantic in anticipation of them breaking out in America. Sometimes, that happens (James Blunt, Adele), other times not so much (Ms. Dynamite).

algetrig91

[12]Mar 20, 2014
    • level: 34
    If we're being honest, with the sound problems of the last few years (I'm having trouble recounting specific examples, but I think JT was one), performing on SNL might not be much of a boost to an established artist. Unless it's December or May.

JM5000

[13]Mar 29, 2014

Episode Predictions:

Cold Opening: Maybe something with Vladimir Putin...(There might be bigger stories going on right now, but I'm not a news-reader, so this one tends to be hard for me...)

Monologue: I'm sure Louis has some crazy story to tell us through his stand-up...

Sketches: Maybe some follow-ups to sketches from the last C.K. show...

Weekend Update: Drunk Uncle drops by to talk about his Spring Break...Maybe Louis can play another relative of his...

First Musical Performance: "Money On My Mind"

Second Musical Performance: Either "Lay Me Down" or "Stay With Me"...I might lean toward the latter...

danharr

[14]Mar 29, 2014
    • level: 45

Well there was Nasim for those making petitions... Eh it was okay till the Bieber thing Louis C.K.'s monologue was good.

danharr

[15]Mar 29, 2014

Black Jeopardy was so weird it was funny at times.

danharr

[16]Mar 29, 2014

Oh lord baby CEO again... So crazy it makes you chuckle. Wtf use a suit to clean up messes me thinks the alcohol flows freely during the writing sessions.

danharr

[17]Mar 29, 2014

Mr. Big Stuff was humorous. Darth Vader action figure in the butt was funny.

danharr

[18]Mar 29, 2014

Dyke and Fats I'm in new SNL withdrawal so I'll be much kinder to this sketch than I should be. It made me chuckle once so it gets a pass.

danharr

[19]Mar 29, 2014

School president was a weird funny throw away sketch. So I'm the only one who watched the show tonight? It's mighty quiet around these parts.

danharr

[20]Mar 29, 2014

Don't know what was up with the last sketch but decent show overall what say you tv.com SNL board?