Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Louis C.K./Sam Smith (3/29/2014)

JM5000

[21]Mar 30, 2014
    • level: 8

This show set a record for most weird reactions from me with its sketches...But in a good way.

The cold opening was amusing enough, but I am starting to get tired of Kate's Bieber...I don't think it's the impression really, it's still great...But maybe I'm just getting tired of hearing about that pipsqueak...

Louis' stand-up was great...Some people criticized the "Old Lady" story from his last appearance, but this time, he didn't hold back...No race, no gender and no class was off-limits for him, and it worked...Killed me at the "I am SO hungry!" joke...

A LOT of bizarrely funny sketches tonight, from the Black Jeopardy sketch, to "Dyke and Fats", to the awkwardly casual talk about making love, to the Darth Vader action figure in the butt sketch...I can't name one sketch that fell flat tonight...

Sam Smith bored me...He had a nice voice, but that's pretty much all he had going for him...I think it was a mistake not performing "Money On My Mind" because that would have added at least a small spark on fun to his overall sets...Instead he performed two bland break-up songs...We probably won't see him on the show again, and I'll probably forget about him in short time...Of course, with a name as plain as "Sam Smith", I guess that's to be expected...

Overall, I think this is one of my favorite shows so far this season...

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

JustinRAn

[22]Mar 30, 2014
    • level: 12
    JM5000 wrote:

This show set a record for most weird reactions from me with its sketches...But in a good way.

The cold opening was amusing enough, but I am starting to get tired of Kate's Bieber...I don't think it's the impression really, it's still great...But maybe I'm just getting tired of hearing about that pipsqueak...

Louis' stand-up was great...Some people criticized the "Old Lady" story from his last appearance, but this time, he didn't hold back...No race, no gender and no class was off-limits for him, and it worked...Killed me at the "I am SO hungry!" joke...

A LOT of bizarrely funny sketches tonight, from the Black Jeopardy sketch, to "Dyke and Fats", to the awkwardly casual talk about making love, to the Darth Vader action figure in the butt sketch...I can't name one sketch that fell flat tonight...

Sam Smith bored me...He had a nice voice, but that's pretty much all he had going for him...I think it was a mistake not performing "Money On My Mind" because that would have added at least a small spark on fun to his overall sets...Instead he performed two bland break-up songs...We probably won't see him on the show again, and I'll probably forget about him in short time...Of course, with a name as plain as "Sam Smith", I guess that's to be expected...

Overall, I think this is one of my favorite shows so far this season...

I wish I was watching the show you were watching. The Cold Open, Monologue, Jeopardy, Music Sketch, and closing were OK. Everything else (Including Update) felt so-so. I was amazed that Louie mentioned SNL's hard working writers. It took 20+ writers to do that show? I am very worried about Anna Kendrick now.

HelloStuart

[23]Mar 30, 2014
    • level: 63
    My thoughts:

+ The cold open was arguably the best Obama-centric sketch of the season, though that's more compliment than praise. Following 44's appearance on "Between Two Ferns," a social media guru (NW) with an odd speech impediment suggests taking things even further. The Affordable Care Act just barely mets its goal, but as the president's aide (TK) reminds him with multiple anecdotes, the battle was won but the war isn't over. This presents a litany of tweets, Instagrams, and Vines that allows Pharaoh's Obama to loosen up, albeit reluctantly.

+ Best monologue of the season, hands down. Watch Louie's set on Hulu if you think I'm just throwing around superlatives.

+ Three years removed from manning the ticket booth at iO Chicago, Cecily Strong has her own Jeep Cherokee commercial. I'm happy for her, but on a personal level that is so surreal.

+ "Black Jeopardy" was probably my favorite sketch of the night. I'm sure this evoked unfair and unjustified comparisons to a certain recurring bit from the late '90s/early 2000s, but as a standalone sketch this was aces. Kenan, Jay, and Sasheer channeled Dave Chappelle with gusto, and Louie was spot-on as their Mormon straight man.

+ D##E & FATS!!! It's one thing to take on internet trolls, homophobes, and misogynists with one fell swoop, but another to make it enchanting, self-deprecating, and above all funny. Parodying the opening credits of "Cagney & Lacey" might seem too base on the surface, yet the reference was obscure enough to work for the statement Kate and Aidy were making.

+ Speaking of cops, it seems strange that two thematically similar sketches would appear in the show back-to-back. Unfortunately, "Romantic Detectives" was the weakest sketch of the night; the object of parody was clear to me (and maybe only me) and in spite of some clever lines on Louie's part, it didn't work as a whole.

+ What happened to Bobby Moynihan? He was AWOL for the first three-quarters of the show, than had three total lines in last two live sketches.

+ For the second time this season, there was a musical guest I wasn't familiar with and I flew in blind. Suffice to say, I liked him; Sam Smith has a genuinely soulful quality that evokes both James Blake and Paul Young. (There have been repeated comments on social media regarding Smith's resemblance to Boy George, but we all know there's no way the Culture Club frontman would've conceived a child the natural way.) This won't be the last we'll see or hear of this bloke.

+ The Chris Fitzpatrick digital short looks exactly like how an early-2000s videotape campaign video would be. If any of my slacker/stoner/metalhead pals from high school ran for ASB President, their platform would have been quite similar.

+ On the surface, tonight's show was wonderful. Any detractors about Louis C.K. were likely silenced, and his extensive background as a writer and comedian made nearly everything he touched better for the time he was there. The core of the show is still shaky, a mix of inexperience and lack of coherent voice, but for one week SNL's ongoing transition barely mattered.

7.5/10

HelloStuart

[24]Apr 6, 2014
    • level: 63

Oh hey, dress rehearsal sketch:

http://www.avclub.com/article/watch-louis-ck-appreciate-shirtless-earth-guys-una-202864

avmon

[25]May 4, 2014
    • level: 16

I pretty much liked everything except the "Romantic Detectives" and the last sketch but that at least had some moments. I thought the "Black Jeopardy" was the best one of that ep. I liked both sets of Sam Smith. Oh, and Louis C.K.'s "I'm Starving" was my favorite of his stand-up bit. That's all I'll comment on.

Edited on 05/04/2014 9:16am