Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Melissa McCarthy/Imagine Dragons (2/1/14)

JM5000

[1]Jan 11, 2014
    • level: 8

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/melissa-mccarthy-to-host-snl-super-bowl-weekend-exclusive-1201044742/

First time, they see potential in you... Second time, they liked you enough to bring you back... And the third time (especially for the third season in a row), you are officially being established as a favorite...

There's no doubt that Melissa McCarthy has become SNL's newest breakout, so much so that she will be appearing for the third consecutive season...

Kinda weird though, because her next movie doesn't come out until July...You'd think she'd be a legitimate choice by now to host the finale (or at least somewhere near the end of the season...) But oh well, I'm still kinda rooting for Tom Hanks to do the honor this year...

Look forward to seeing her again...

Edited on 01/18/2014 8:15am
    Edited 3 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Hennes81

[2]Jan 11, 2014
    • level: 6

JM5000 wrote:
    First time, they see potential in you...Second time, they liked you enough to bring you back...And the third time (especially for the third season in a row), you are officially being established as a favorite...

If I learned anything from Hanks 5-timer monologue, it's the 2nd and 4th show you just use to push a movie.Laughing

Even though her second show wasn't outstanding, she is a well-deserving returning host. Even if I don't like hosts to be asked back the next season.

Ruckhappy

[3]Jan 11, 2014
    • level: 9

(Gets down on knees and prays) Please no Wiig cameo, please no Wiig cameo...sweet baby Jesus, I pray to thee: no Wiig cameo!

JM5000

[4]Jan 11, 2014

He said the third time, you could have done better, right? I guess to some, that was the case with McCarthy...

Think of it this way, Ruck...If Wiig were to cameo for this show, it will make a host appearance this season less likely...

I wonder who the musical guest might be...It could be Beyonce, or maybe Lorde (although I'm a little less hopeful for her after hearing that she's not a good live performer...We'll just see...) Or hell, since this is like a second semi-season finale (and Seth's last show), it could be someone big like Paul McCartney (McCarthy/McCartney...heh...) or maybe even Daft Punk, but I'm definitely not holding my breath for them since the album kinda ran its course...I dunno...Maybe it'll just be another indie band I've never heard of...

Hennes81

[5]Jan 12, 2014

JM5000 wrote:
    He said the third time, you could have done better, right? I guess to some, that was the case with McCarthy...

If I remember correctly:The 2nd time didn't go so well and you have to prove yourself.

Sounds like a good description to me for Melissas 2nd show. But since she has obvious talent and her movie career won't end in the near future I bet she will be asked back - even if her 3rd show won't be a big success.

JM5000 wrote:
    Think of it this way, Ruck...If Wiig were to cameo for this show, it will make a host appearance this season less likely...

Last season she cameoed (Short/McCartney) and hosted. So I don't think it would indicate anything.

Also Andy could be interested to cameo since Brookly Nine-Nine will have the nice post-Superbowl spot.

JM5000

[6]Jan 12, 2014

Hennes81 wrote:

JM5000 wrote:

If I remember correctly:The 2nd time didn't go so well and you have to prove yourself.

Sounds like a good description to me for Melissas 2nd show. But since she has obvious talent and her movie career won't end in the near future I bet she will be asked back - even if her 3rd show won't be a big success.

JM5000 wrote:

Last season she cameoed (Short/McCartney) and hosted. So I don't think it would indicate anything.

Also Andy could be interested to cameo since Brookly Nine-Nine will have the nice post-Superbowl spot.

That was a two-second cameo where she barely said anything...(I believe they were probably going to do another Laurence Welk sketch for the cold opening, which was why she was there, but changed plans after the Sandy Hook shootout.)

This season, she's already cameoed once, so a second one would make the idea of a hosting appearance seem like overkill...

Ruckhappy

[7]Jan 12, 2014

Secret Life of Walter Mitty has been something of a bomb, so I wouldn't put it past a desperate Wiig to crawl her way onto SNL as often as she can.

HelloStuart

[8]Jan 12, 2014
    • level: 63
    McCarthy hit a home run both times she hosted, so I can't disagree with the pick. It's also nice to see SNL squeezing in one show in February before the Sochi Olympiad.

JustinRAn

[9]Jan 13, 2014
    • level: 12
    Please God, don't let there be canned applause before every single sketch.

Ruckhappy

[10]Jan 13, 2014

I doubt they've ever used "canned" applause in 39 seasons. They do have an applause sign but they only use it to open sketches to cue the studio audience that they need to react like the audience would in the sketch (i.e., clap and whoop for a game show sketch). Most sketches they open cold, and if there's a smattering of applause it's clearly unprompted. They use the applause sign at the end of sketches and musical performances (unless you're Sinead O'Connor).

Where do you come up with these ideas? It's like you're watching a personal fantasy version of SNL.

Hennes81

[11]Jan 14, 2014

Ruckhappy wrote:
    I doubt they've ever used "canned" applause in 39 seasons.

I wouldn't say they do this in live sketches, but it's part of their opening montage. Here is an incident "SNL Transcripts" noted from Hugh Laurie/Beck:

"Note: A pre-recorded applause track noticably fades once Hugh Laurie begins his monologue."

I never understood why they use this cheering noises so heavily. At the begin of every episode you see a part of the audience and all are clapping gently while you hear hundreds of people cheering...

Justin had some cheers from last seasons episode in mind. Some audience members always cheered when Melissa showed up in a new dress.

Of course it's more likely that these people we're just over-exited to see McCarthy in person. To accuse SNL for playing taped sounds in that situation is at least bold. If that's your thought you could also question if some writer was casted to disturb Aidy two times in the Fallon/Timberlake cold opening.

Ruckhappy

[12]Jan 14, 2014

There's an applause track mixed down in the sound for the opening credits for the sake of "live" continuity. You can't expect the studio audience to clap all the way through the credit montage, but it would be jarring to have them start clapping suddenly when they cut to the live crane swoop-in shot plus they might miss their cue. The audience doesn't know when the booth cuts from the taped credits to the live shot unless they're watching the monitors, so of course they get prompted to clap.

The whole cold open-to-credits-to-monologue segue is a difficult one to stage live because of the long break between the hand they get at the close of the cold open to the walk-on applause the host gets at his/her entrance. It's not really "canned" applause.

Hennes81

[13]Jan 14, 2014

Ruckhappy wrote:
    It's not really "canned" applause.

It's taped or live. And since it's not live, I have to disagree.

Of course you're right: An audience won't cheer for 2 straight minutes. But since the audience almost can't be heared, that is not necessary. I would love to get the unfiltered reaction of the live crowd at the beginning of the monologue. Maybe they go wild when Timberlake enters the stage and while it ain't more than respectful clapping for Josh Hutcherson. With their prerecorded cheering track every opening sounds just the same and that's not what I want from a live show.

If you feel another way, let's agree to disagree.

Ruckhappy

[14]Jan 14, 2014

Hennes81 wrote:
    I would love to get the unfiltered reaction of the live crowd at the beginning of the monologue.

You do. They drop the background taped applause as soon as the band plays the final flourish of the intro theme. What you hear after the band stops playing is the live audience applause. I just went back and listened to the intro segue of the Fallon show using my good Sennheiser cans and you can hear when the taped fill applause is mixed out.

You seem to be implying that they sweeten the live audience reaction to the host with canned applause, but they don't. Why would they? Most of the audience is picked by random lot, and judging by the SNL attendance stories I've read most of those are traveling from all over the Northeast to come see the show. The rest have been standing in the stand-by line for hours, if not days. Why would they sit on their hands? It's a self-selected audience of people who are excited to be there, of course they're going to clap.

Hennes81

[15]Jan 17, 2014

Melissa McCarthy to Host 'SNL' With Musical Guest Imagine Dragons on February 1

JM5000

[16]Jan 17, 2014

Wow! Took them long enough! I think I remember picturing Imagine Dragons as a possible musical guest choice the LAST time McCarthy hosted...I mean their album was only out for, what, a year and a half!?

HelloStuart

[17]Jan 20, 2014

It's official-- MelMac/Dragons will be Seth's last show:

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=848141&ocid=rr-tv-news

Also, it looks like Cecily will get a new co-anchor after all. My most educated guess is Beck.

Ruckhappy

[18]Jan 20, 2014

Beck would be the sensible choice. They may have to have him sit on a phone book to match up to Cecily for two-shot camera framing.

HelloStuart

[19]Jan 22, 2014
    Ruckhappy wrote:

Beck would be the sensible choice. They may have to have him sit on a phone book to match up to Cecily for two-shot camera framing.

Heh, good point. Beck is fairly muscular, but the dude's only, like, 5'8".

Ruckhappy

[20]Jan 31, 2014

With the good buzz she got out of Sundance for Skeleton Twins I'm going to guess that this will be a Wiig-free weekend on SNL. Some Super Bowl-related cameos may happen, but no Wiig.