Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Melissa McCarthy/Imagine Dragons (2/1/14)

avmon

[41]Feb 1, 2014
    • level: 16
    I love it when they show Lenny Picket on sax!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

avmon

[42]Feb 1, 2014
    Well, that Frieda Kahlo skit (a.k.a. "Latino Bert") was mostly lame.

avmon

[43]Feb 1, 2014
    Another hilarious "Girlfriends Talk Show"!

avmon

[44]Feb 1, 2014
    Imagine Dragons' "Demons" was another good performance.

avmon

[45]Feb 1, 2014
    Okay, that "Diane" skit was another pretty lame one.

avmon

[46]Feb 1, 2014
    Okay, that Super Bowl interview film was really lame...

danharr

[47]Feb 1, 2014
    • level: 45

I spent the last half of the show looking for music online. Pretty much an average episode Diane in the park was weird but not in the funny way and Girlfriends needs a month between airings or get rid of the segment all together.

Royce7815

[48]Feb 2, 2014
    • level: 4

The Broadway half time show cold open was more entertaining than it was funny though I did laugh at Aidy's appearance. I'm guessing it referenced something in a play if anyone has an idea? I think Mrs. McCarthy has told the writes "look don't you give me any of that straight talk to the camera jokey B.S, I want something I can possibly hurt myself with when I do my monologue." Another "isn't this how it always is" type of sketch with the CVS Valentines commercial. I wonder why they keep paring Sasheer up with Taran, are they afraid of some sort of back lash if they have her with Jay or Kenan?

JM5000 called it. Looks like McCarthy has a recurring character of her own now. All we need now if for someone to have a melt down during the week next time she host.

I didn't know how i was going to like the Black History sketch as far as if was just going to be Jay
    trying to show us he can rap again or something different i'm glad it was the something different.

Weekend Update was short naturally considering it was Seth's last show (until he comes back for his first cameo, you know he will) But very pleased to see Amy and Stefon come back sometimes SNL tries not to be predictable but then there are times where they know the audience wants to see something return so they know they have to. I didn't however see Andy coming, he won his Golden Globe and now he's to good for sweatshirts lol.

I thought the live paint exhibit should have gotten alot more laughs then it did especially when Nasim's Frida got riled up

Kyle was a little more noticeable tonight. He got a part in the opener then another one of his Youtube bits made it on. Melissa i think played the main role in every sketch as always and pulled it off effortlessly. It did seem to be lacking compared to her first and second maybe not Emmy nominee worthy this time but it was still good.

JustinRAn

[49]Feb 2, 2014
    • level: 12
    My Review:

- Cold Open: Um OK. I would've rather them do an impression-a-thon like The Remix CD from the Lady Gaga Episode
    - Monologue: Whatever
    - CVS: Played it way too Straight
    - Shelia: Loved It but not as much as her last appearance
    - Women's Group: If this had a premise, I couldn't find it
    - Guess That Phrase: What was the point of this?
    - Black History Month: Clearly Sasheer can sing... and pretty good IMO
    - Imagine Dragons: I usually don't review Musical acts but My sis at least got a chuckle from the Drum
    - Weekend Update: Buford was odd, and Did the World need David Patterson again?
    - Frida: Is This The 30th or 40th time Melissa played someone dumb in a sketch? Is SNL Getting royalty's for Breaking Bad references? There have been more Breaking Bad references since the show ended then when the show was going on
    - Girlfriends Talk Show: Everyone who wanted Melissa on Girlfriends Talk Show got their wish, How was it?
    - Summer of Diane: Would have worked better as a parody trailer
    - Kyle Sports: If Lorne was gonna bring something from Sports Show, He should've picked Norm

Random Thoughts:
    Why do I have a feeling that Seth spent more time on his goodbye then on the sketches tonight?
    How could they have not done a sketch about Justin Beiber possibly being deported to Canada? Could've made a good Really
    Missed Opportunity: Anthony Peter Coleman Sketch
    I guess everyone loves Melissa McCarthy. I just don't get it then.

JM5000

[50]Feb 2, 2014
    • level: 8

I did feel less impressed by this one than her last two appearances. Maybe because the last two times, she was still establishing herself and showing just how different she was from other hosts. Now, I pretty much get her schtick, and kind of wish she would try different types of characters than just the crazy, violent, blithering idiot. I'm starting to see the similarities between her and her old friend Kristen...

That said, she still puts a lot more effort into her performance than most SNL hosts...I'm now feeling the same with her as I felt with Jon Hamm a couple years ago: Maybe they should take few years off from her before they bring her back...Hamm's had a long enough time away from hosting, and with a movie coming out in May, perhaps his return is coming soon...

Imagine Dragons killed it! I've been waiting all season for that one musical guest that can REALLY raise the bar, as even Arcade Fire's performance was flawed by some rather flat singing...They went as big as possible with the drums, the little orchestra behind them and even their Grammy performance partner Kendrick Lamar, while still singing excellently. Solid and powerful performance all around!

Good episode, not great...Like last week's...

PS, They haven't even picked a host for the next episode yet!? How long has it been since they've done that!? ...How much do you want to bet that they're waiting to see who wins the Superbowl first...?

Edited on 02/02/2014 11:14am

Ruckhappy

[52]Feb 2, 2014
    • level: 9

Well, well, well, wasn't that cold open a cruel jinx on Peyton Manning? Heh.

JM5000

[53]Feb 2, 2014
    • level: 8

Ruckhappy wrote:

Well, well, well, wasn't that cold open a cruel jinx on Peyton Manning? Heh.

You are so mean, Ruck!

I'm kidding...

I'm PISSED my home-team got slaughtered like that, and if my state was ever gonna be represented properly on SNL, now seemed as good a time as any, but SNL only seems to book champions lately...Let's see if Russell Wilson is announced as the March 1st host within the next couple days...

Ruckhappy

[54]Feb 3, 2014
    • level: 9

Hey, we've been waiting a long time for our first ring, baby. I was there for Seattle's first ever playoff game, in which we crushed, yes, these very same Broncos.

Anyway, I'd like to see Wilson host as a belated part of Black History month (everyone seems to be forgetting that he's the first black QB to win a Super Bowl), but because he wasn't the game MVP I suspect they'll look for a Sochi star or sitcom star to host.

JustinRAn

[55]Feb 5, 2014
    • level: 12
    When is Stu gonna post a review?

HelloStuart

[56]Feb 9, 2014
    • level: 63

At long last, my thoughts:

+ Outside of the State of the Union, this was kind of a slow news week. However, it's near impossible to imagine a SOTU sketch with the likes of Kyle Mooney or Noel Wells, so instead tonight's cold open is about next week's major even, Super Bowl XLVIII. A strangely depleted roster of Fox Sports analysts (Beck as Howie Long, JP as Michael Strahan, and Bobby as Jimmy Johnson) have mixed reactions when Bruno Mars backs out an a piecemeal Broadway extravaganza takes his place.

+ Backflips!

+ The "Women's Group" sketch was a delight. The concept was a great bait-and-switch; what might have seemed like a pedestrian character study about stifled suburbanities becomes a vehicle for MelMac's vengeful, obsessed daughter.

+ I didn't know Black History Month needed an anthem, but it does now. Well done Kenan, Jay, and Sasheer.

+ The centerpoint of the evening was undoubtedly Seth's last Weekend Update. After 12 1/2 years on SNL, he departs as the second-longest serving cast member of all time (behind Darrell Hammond) and the longest serving Update anchorperson (144 shows, not counting specials). His first five years as a sketch player seem nondescript in comparison; I can hardly picture a recurring sketch like "Top O' The Mornin" or "Spy Glass" on any TBO DVD. Nobody will ever say Meyers was the greatest anchor of all time, but for nearly eight years he made the Update desk his own. On the flip side of that, the people demanded Stefon tonight, but I don't think there was really anything new for him to say.

+ Hey, did you miss Imagine Dragon's mash-up with Kendrick Lamar at last week's Grammys? Well, it just so happens that they recreated that magic moment for their first song tonight. This performance was a tad busy, but more enjoyable than not. Even though I'm not a Dragons fan per se, I'm glad their second song was "Demons" rather than some forgettable ballad.

+ During "The Summer of Diane," did anyone else hear MelMac say "watch my s***, gotta pee?"

+ By and large I like what Good Neighbor is doing so far, but it wasn't clear what Mooney was aiming for in "Super Champions with Kyle." What is about his timid alter ego, the brusque strangers he encountered in Times Square, or their mutual interaction?

+ Tonight felt more like a season finale than a hiatus, a blow-the-chips ratings grab to compensate for sitting out nearly all of February sweeps. It will be a different show without Seth, more internally than on the surface; there have been only two head writers in the previous 14 seasons, and Colin Jost has big shoes to fill. As anticipated, Melissa McCarthy was nothing short of dynamic; if she isn't already MelMac will be a "free pass" host, a welcome-back-anytime dynamo in the vein of Buck Henry, Christopher Walken or John Goodman. (If that's the case, sociopath Sheila Kelly could be her Continental.) After two so-so shows to start the calendar year, this charming effort has me almost yearning for March 1st.

7/10