Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Melissa McCarthy/Lady Antebellum (10/1/11)

  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [1]Aug 2, 2011
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,172

    Considering her Emmy nod and her connection to Wiigy, maybe this wasn't a huge surprise:


    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/02/alec-baldwin-to-host-snl-premiere_n_916706.html


    Edited on 08/12/2011 9:49pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of avmon

    avmon

    [2]Aug 2, 2011
    • member since: 09/07/06
    • level: 16
    • rank: Church Lady
    • posts: 1,760
    HelloStuart wrote:

    Considering her Emmy nod and her connection to Wiigy, maybe this wasn't a huge surprise:


    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/02/alec-baldwin-to-host-snl-premiere_n_916706.html


    I loved both in "Bridesmaids" and the TV show "Mike & Molly". So looking forward to this!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Ruckhappy

    Ruckhappy

    [3]Aug 9, 2011
    • member since: 08/03/11
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 800
    FWIW, I was surprised. She's arguably the fourth-rated star in Bridesmaids and her show is on CBS. But I'm very glad that a talented woman with, ah, unconventional looks is hosting SNL this early in the season. If someone kicked Lorne in the ass to approve this (a reasonable surmise), good for you, girls!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Hennes81

    Hennes81

    [4]Aug 12, 2011
    • member since: 05/07/09
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 304

    News on the musical guest:


    Melissa McCarthy will make her debut appearance as host on October 1. McCarthy currently stars in the CBS sitcom "Mike & Molly," for which she recently earned her first Emmy Award nomination. She also appeared in this summer's box office blockbuster "Bridesmaids" alongside "SNL's" Kristen Wiig.

    Making their SNL debut, Lady Antebellum's third album, "Own The Night" is scheduled for release September 13, and is already garnering attention with their chart-topping single, "Just a Kiss." The six-time Grammy Award winning trio's past albums have reached double and triple platinum status and spawned several number one hits, including "Need You Now."


    *click*

    Edited on 08/12/2011 10:20am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of bry456

    bry456

    [5]Aug 12, 2011
    • member since: 08/18/05
    • level: 19
    • rank: Fall Guy
    • posts: 1,873

    The country group Lady Antebellum is the scheduled musical guest for this broadcast


    source: http://www.nashvillegab.com/2011/08/lady-antebellum-get-a-saturday-night-live-invite.html

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of drudager

    drudager

    [6]Aug 12, 2011
    • member since: 07/07/11
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 1,282
    avmon wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:

    Considering her Emmy nod and her connection to Wiigy, maybe this wasn't a huge surprise:


    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/02/alec-baldwin-to-host-snl-premiere_n_916706.html


    I loved both in "Bridesmaids" and the TV show "Mike & Molly". So looking forward to this!


    Mike & Molly is decent. Tho while I'm avoiding Two & A Half Men like the plague, I'll sometimes miss it or forget about it. I really don't know how to describe M&M in the context that the show seems to flow very monotone-like. Certainly not the most action-packed show around.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [7]Aug 12, 2011
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,172
    bry456 wrote:

    The country group Lady Antebellum is the scheduled musical guest for this broadcast


    source: http://www.nashvillegab.com/2011/08/lady-antebellum-get-a-saturday-night-live-invite.html


    I suppose this meets the "one country artist per season" quota that was last achieved in Year 35.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Ruckhappy

    Ruckhappy

    [8]Aug 13, 2011
    • member since: 08/03/11
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 800
    Aw hell, some country act you can't find on a jukebox in a Topeka truck stop, that's "nouveau country"?

    Did they ever book Neko Case? Did they ever book Junior Brown? Reverend Horton Heat, Supersuckers, Bad Livers? Have they ever booked any act that played SXSW before they signed with a major label? The Muffs, Slant 6, Bikini Kill? Hell, Fred's doing a show with one of the stalwarts of Sleater-Kinney, did they ever book them? Did they book Green Day back when they had to beg gas money from Larry Livermore?

    Jurassic 5? Alphabetix?

    Jon Spencer?

    36 frickin' years of SNL and they never once booked Iggy Pop? Seriously?

    Grumble, bitch, moan....
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of RealityFan2686

    RealityFan2686

    [9]Aug 18, 2011
    • member since: 08/09/05
    • level: 30
    • rank: Anchorman
    • posts: 1,518

    HelloStuart wrote:
    bry456 wrote:


    The country group Lady Antebellum is the scheduled musical guest for this broadcast


    source: http://www.nashvillegab.com/2011/08/lady-antebellum-get-a-saturday-night-live-invite.html


    I suppose this meets the "one country artist per season" quota that was last achieved in Year 35.


    Now if I remember correctly, that's when Taylor Swift was the host and musical guest if I'm not mistaken. I can't wait to see Lady A on the show.


    Tina

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of thecomedianky

    thecomedianky

    [10]Sep 25, 2011
    • member since: 10/09/05
    • level: 19
    • rank: Fall Guy
    • posts: 2,125
    Melissa will make a solid host for sure. She has the comedy chops to do the job.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [11]Sep 25, 2011
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,172
    thecomedianky wrote:
    Melissa will make a solid host for sure. She has the comedy chops to do the job.


    ...and she's still reeling from her Emmy win. Talk about stars aligning.

    Until last week's awards, I had almost forgotten that she's from Plainfield, IL, about 20 miles southwest from where I presently live. Here's to a Chicago gal!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JustinRAn

    JustinRAn

    [12]Sep 26, 2011
    • member since: 12/30/09
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 1,286
    That's True she has comedy chops Like:

    Ed Helms
    Tom Green
    Zach Braff
    Christopher Walken (s33)
    Paul Rudd (s36)
    Ryan Reynolds
    Dana Carvey (s36)

    Comedy Background is only like 33% of the Show IMO, 30% The Sketches, 37% The Writing
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of BaronOne

    BaronOne

    [13]Sep 26, 2011
    • member since: 01/02/08
    • level: 15
    • rank: Ginsu Knife
    • posts: 818

    JustinRAn wrote:
    That's True she has comedy chops Like: Ed Helms Tom Green Zach Braff Christopher Walken (s33) Paul Rudd (s36) Ryan Reynolds Dana Carvey (s36) Comedy Background is only like 33% of the Show IMO, 30% The Sketches, 37% The Writing


    I think you're in the minority for Dana's episode.


    Also, Ed Helms and Zach Braff dropped the ball. Tom Green has never really been known as having "comedy chops."

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of drudager

    drudager

    [14]Sep 27, 2011
    • member since: 07/07/11
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 1,282
    Ruckhappy wrote:


    36 frickin' years of SNL and they never once booked Iggy Pop? Seriously?

    Grumble, bitch, moan....


    Stooges' "Fun House" is one of my favorite albums.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of drudager

    drudager

    [15]Sep 27, 2011
    • member since: 07/07/11
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 1,282
    HelloStuart wrote:
    thecomedianky wrote:
    Melissa will make a solid host for sure. She has the comedy chops to do the job.


    ...and she's still reeling from her Emmy win. Talk about stars aligning.

    Until last week's awards, I had almost forgotten that she's from Plainfield, IL, about 20 miles southwest from where I presently live. Here's to a Chicago gal!


    Plainfield, IL? Never heard of it.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [16]Sep 29, 2011
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,172
    drudager wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    thecomedianky wrote:
    Melissa will make a solid host for sure. She has the comedy chops to do the job.


    ...and she's still reeling from her Emmy win. Talk about stars aligning.

    Until last week's awards, I had almost forgotten that she's from Plainfield, IL, about 20 miles southwest from where I presently live. Here's to a Chicago gal!


    Plainfield, IL? Never heard of it.


    Admittedly, there's a big IL-WI correlation in this discussion board. I'm from Downers Grove (45 minutes west of the city), Justin is from Gurnee (to the northwest), thecomedianky lived in Chicago for awhile, TheDiamondDog is a Milwaukee product, and the dearly departed mp34mp is from Naperville (near DG). Locals representin'.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JustinRAn

    JustinRAn

    [17]Sep 30, 2011
    • member since: 12/30/09
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 1,286
    BaronOne wrote:

    JustinRAn wrote:
    That's True she has comedy chops Like: Ed Helms Tom Green Zach Braff Christopher Walken (s33) Paul Rudd (s36) Ryan Reynolds Dana Carvey (s36) Comedy Background is only like 33% of the Show IMO, 30% The Sketches, 37% The Writing


    I think you're in the minority for Dana's episode.


    Also, Ed Helms and Zach Braff dropped the ball. Tom Green has never really been known as having "comedy chops."



    The Tom Green Show
    Road Trip
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Big_Pecks

    Big_Pecks

    [18]Oct 1, 2011
    • member since: 12/29/10
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 10

    I haven't seen Bridesmaids yet (I still want to), but I'm excited to see what Melissa McCarthy can do. I'm sure she can handle hosting well.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Ruckhappy

    Ruckhappy

    [19]Oct 1, 2011
    • member since: 08/03/11
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 800
    I gather that at The Groundlings she worked with Annie Mumalo quite a lot and Wiig a little.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JustinRAn

    JustinRAn

    [20]Oct 1, 2011
    • member since: 12/30/09
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 1,286
    The Dirty Finger Lake Cold Open AGAIN!!!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.