Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Melissa McCarthy/Lady Antebellum (10/1/11)

pretty_sure

[42]Oct 2, 2011
    • level: 38

I thought this was the best episode of SNL in a long time! Melissa is no stranger to doing this kind of stuff, she started out in the groundlings with most of the regular cast of SNL. Also, for a while now, the sketches have featured the regulars as the main characters in the sketches, and the Hosts as side characters, it was nice to see they displaying her, and her talents in the main spot.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

JustinRAn

[43]Oct 2, 2011
    • level: 12
    pretty_sure wrote:

...Also, for a while now, the sketches have featured the regulars as the main characters in the sketches, and the Hosts as side characters...

They tend to do that with female hosts. Almost any female host gets side roles.

RealityFan2686

[44]Oct 2, 2011
    • level: 30

HelloStuart wrote:
    drudager wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    thecomedianky wrote:
    Melissa will make a solid host for sure. She has the comedy chops to do the job.
    ...and she's still reeling from her Emmy win. Talk about stars aligning. Until last week's awards, I had almost forgotten that she's from Plainfield, IL, about 20 miles southwest from where I presently live. Here's to a Chicago gal!
    Plainfield, IL? Never heard of it.
    Admittedly, there's a big IL-WI correlation in this discussion board. I'm from Downers Grove (45 minutes west of the city), Justin is from Gurnee (to the northwest), thecomedianky lived in Chicago for awhile, TheDiamondDog is a Milwaukee product, and the dearly departed mp34mp is from Naperville (near DG). Locals representin'.

Hey I'm from Wisconsin too. From the Northeastern part of the state to be precise. Milwaukee is two hours away from where I live.

Tina

HelloStuart

[45]Oct 2, 2011
    • level: 63
    RealityFan2686 wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    drudager wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    thecomedianky wrote:
    Melissa will make a solid host for sure. She has the comedy chops to do the job.
    ...and she's still reeling from her Emmy win. Talk about stars aligning. Until last week's awards, I had almost forgotten that she's from Plainfield, IL, about 20 miles southwest from where I presently live. Here's to a Chicago gal!
    Plainfield, IL? Never heard of it.
    Admittedly, there's a big IL-WI correlation in this discussion board. I'm from Downers Grove (45 minutes west of the city), Justin is from Gurnee (to the northwest), thecomedianky lived in Chicago for awhile, TheDiamondDog is a Milwaukee product, and the dearly departed mp34mp is from Naperville (near DG). Locals representin'.

Hey I'm from Wisconsin too. From the Northeastern part of the state to be precise. Milwaukee is two hours away from where I live.

Aw geez, that's right. Just don't brag about the Packers 'round these parts...

HelloStuart

[46]Oct 2, 2011

My thoughts:

+ One could argue that "The Lawrence Welk Show" has run its course, though the writers always seem to find new ways to make Doneese (KW) gross and alienating. It's now gotten to the point that the homeliest singing sister needs extra muscle, which came figuratively and literally in the form of Gert (Mel-Mac). Other than that, the only twist to the sketch was casting a featured player as the foil in lieu of a male host.

+ Did anyone catch the political subtext of the "Lil' Poundcake" ad parody? Try googling "hpv Rick Perry" and read up on that sketch's inherent meaning.

+ With both Jorma and Akiva on to greener pastures, it seems like the Digital Shorts are now written by committee. Tonight's "Stomp" homage was high on energy yet unspectacular where it really mattered.

+ I want to like Jay Pharoah, don't get me wrong, but does he do anything besides the same four or five impressions? I'm happy he finally nabbed some screen time tonight, though.

+ Stefon notwithstanding, Ghadafi's two childhood pals (FA, VB) and Tyler Perry (KT) are now two of the strongest Update commentators by default. As long as Moammar does his Saddam-in-hiding impression the fodder will flow like water, and Perry is such a gregarious personality that his essence can be taken in a wide variety of directions.

+ It's official: the writers really, really love watching Turner Classic Movies.

+ I don't listen to a lot of country music, though I respect SNL's unofficial one-country-act-per-year quota. Lady Antebellum meets the quota early in the year, so if this wasn't your jam I congratulate you on clearing the hurdle. Their two songs proved to be more adult contemporary than honky-tonk; at best it was catchy, at worst it was like Diane Warren got liquored up at the Dallas airport.

+ Overall, tonight's show was a small step back from Baldwin/Radiohead --anything would've been, really-- but satisfactory and entertaining as a whole. Mel-Mac made is clear right away that she wasn't shy and could carry a sketch with gusto, only in the over-the-top "Hidden Valley Ranch" sketch did the material truly fail her. Suffice to say, the brassy comedic performance the Mel-Mac unleashed upon the world in "Bridesmaids" was no fluke. I was not expecting her to be a physical tornado, a pratfall savant so utterly fearless you'd think she was Chris Farley's kid sister. I would let her host again once she recovers.

JustinRAn

[47]Oct 2, 2011
    • level: 12
    What'll get cut for syndication?

HelloStuart

[48]Oct 3, 2011
    JustinRAn wrote:
    What'll get cut for syndication?

Probably "Stomp," "TCM Essentials," Lady Antebellum's second song, and "Terrible Lovemaking."

BaronOne

[49]Oct 14, 2011
    • level: 15

I finally have the internet back and here's my review:

http://hotoffpress.wordpress.com/2011/10/14/snl-mccarthy-antebellum/