Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Melissa McCarthy/Phoenix (4/6/13)

HelloStuart

[1]Mar 6, 2013
    • level: 63

I think we all had a hunch.

http://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/melissa-mccarthy-hosting-saturday-night-live-for-second-time-in-two-years-201363

Edited on 03/10/2013 8:35pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

JustinRAn

[3]Mar 7, 2013
    • level: 12
    Sighhhhhh

This one is WAY TOO EASY!!!

She is in The Heat with Taran Killam

I don't hate her personally, I just really dislike alot of her movies. I'm no Rex Reed, Although I'd love to read his review for her hosting.

TheDiamondDog

[4]Mar 8, 2013
    • level: 61

I forget, has she hosted before?

Hennes81

[6]Mar 9, 2013
    • level: 5

TheDiamondDog wrote:

I would say if there is some host to remember from last season it's her. At least for her co-worker flirt routine and the Focus group skit.
    Maybe you we're still enjoying your summer and hasn't realized the SNL season started? Should be the only excuse to forget this show.Wink

rishabhpb wrote:
    Will the new Pope be Catholic?

Depends. Quvenzhane Wallis isn't.

Edited on 03/09/2013 1:05am

JustinRAn

[7]Mar 9, 2013
    Hennes81 wrote:

TheDiamondDog wrote:

I would say if there is some host to remember from last season it's her. At least for her co-worker flirt routine and the Focus group skit.
    Maybe you we're still enjoying your summer and hasn't realized the SNL season started? Should be the only excuse to forget this show.Wink

rishabhpb wrote:
    Will the new Pope be Catholic?

Depends. Quvenzhane Wallis isn't.

I think of Alec Baldwin, Katy Perry, Jimmy Fallon, and Sofia Vergara before Melissa.

All I remember of Melissa was Rock's Way

HelloStuart

[8]Mar 9, 2013
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

In all seriousness, she hosted early last season. In fact, MelMac was one of last year's stronger hosts.

jcav422

[9]Mar 9, 2013
    • level: 2

Phoenix is musical guest, happy about it, but it's a rather odd pairing. I would love The Strokes, but they don't want to perform in promoting their upcoming album.

HelloStuart

[10]Mar 10, 2013
    jcav422 wrote:

Phoenix is musical guest, happy about it, but it's a rather odd pairing. I would love The Strokes, but they don't want to perform in promoting their upcoming album.

It can't be any weirder than Forest Whitaker/Keith Urban. Or better yet, Ron Nessen/Patti Smith.

Ruckhappy

[11]Mar 13, 2013
    • level: 8

HelloStuart wrote:
    jcav422 wrote:

It can't be any weirder than Forest Whitaker/Keith Urban. Or better yet, Ron Nessen/Patti Smith.

I remember when the Nessen show aired. What's weird, in hindsight, is how normal it seemed at the time to have the president's press secretary hosting while Patti Smith essentially railed for the downfall of society. Kids today, y'know, they're all cool with the idea of a zombie apocalypse, but if SNL takes a sly jibe at Boehner or Rubio, oooh, don't their panties get in a twist? I remember when SNL all but advocated for Nixon to be horsewhipped through the streets.

HelloStuart

[12]Mar 14, 2013
    Ruckhappy wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    jcav422 wrote:

I remember when the Nessen show aired. What's weird, in hindsight, is how normal it seemed at the time to have the president's press secretary hosting while Patti Smith essentially railed for the downfall of society. Kids today, y'know, they're all cool with the idea of a zombie apocalypse, but if SNL takes a sly jibe at Boehner or Rubio, oooh, don't their panties get in a twist? I remember when SNL all but advocated for Nixon to be horsewhipped through the streets.

Than again, so did everybody else. Watergate was the impetus of widespread distrust in government.

jcav422

[13]Mar 28, 2013
    • level: 2

My dream would be for Kate to play Amanda Bynes on Weekend Update discussing her crazy tweets and behavior. The girl had so much going for her and now she's a train wreck. Why would she even want to follow in Lindsay's footsteps? Let's hope Miley doesn't go this route, at least I respect her

mrjimmyjames

[14]Mar 28, 2013
    • level: 7

jcav422 wrote:

My dream would be for Kate to play Amanda Bynes on Weekend Update discussing her crazy tweets and behavior. The girl had so much going for her and now she's a train wreck. Why would she even want to follow in Lindsay's footsteps? Let's hope Miley doesn't go this route, at least I respect her

Well, someone's going to have to play her at some point.I think I'm ready for it.

Miley may not be a train wreck but she certainly has been just as bizzarre with her uncomfortable obsession with strippers as a young teen and her unusual, androgynous hairdo and tacky outfits (which is also similar to Amanda).

Edited on 03/28/2013 1:18pm
    Edited 2 total times.

HelloStuart

[15]Mar 28, 2013
    mrjimmyjames wrote:
    jcav422 wrote:

Well, someone's going to have to play her at some point.I think I'm ready for it.

Miley may not be a train wreck but she certainly has been just as bizarre with her uncomfortable obsession with strippers as a young teen and her unusual, androgynous hairdo and tacky outfits (which is also similar to Amanda).

C-list celebrity narcissism is too easy a target. Most of the questionable hosting choices in Years 29 and 30 will tell you that. It's sad to think that Amanda was once seriously suggested for hosting in this very forum. All I can say about Bynes as an actress was that while she demonstrated great promise as a preteen, I never got the sense that she ever matured or honed her craft. She didn't understand that what might have been unique and precocious at age 12 is annoying and over the top at age 21.

JustinRAn

[16]Mar 29, 2013
    She was good in Easy A?

Ruckhappy

[17]Mar 29, 2013

HelloStuart wrote:
    She didn't understand that what might have been unique and precocious at age 12 is annoying and over the top at age 21.

Then again, by the time she was 21 she had headlined two major films and was hugely rich. She wasn't still "taking classes," getting turned down at auditions and making snarky avatar jokes.

mrjimmyjames

[18]Mar 30, 2013

Ruckhappy wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    She didn't understand that what might have been unique and precocious at age 12 is annoying and over the top at age 21.

Then again, by the time she was 21 she had headlined two major films and was hugely rich. She wasn't still "taking classes," getting turned down at auditions and making snarky avatar jokes.

What major films were those, Ruck? Nothing she ever headlined ever did that well. That's why her career had floundered. Hairspray was her biggest film and she simply played a supporting role.

mrjimmyjames

[19]Mar 30, 2013

HelloStuart wrote:

All I can say about Bynes as an actress was that while she demonstrated great promise as a preteen, I never got the sense that she ever matured or honed her craft. She didn't understand that what might have been unique and precocious at age 12 is annoying and over the top at age 21.

Yeah, what put her on the map as a kid was too silly/childish and simply doesn't work for an adult female. She didn't have an adult sense of humor like Wiig, Fey, etc. and as a result no longer had an audience for her own headline starring films. That's why she was tagging along in supporting roles in Hairspray and Easy A. Supposedly she was dying to get a raunchy part in Hall Pass in order to make a transition to that style of humor. I think she also could have wound up typecast in films as "the token girlfriend" (a role Sarah Silverman hated). So, I can understand why she lost passion for it.

I'm not sure it would even be okay to make fun of her considering she may actually be mentally ill. Although at times I'm left wondering if she just wants to be like the Kardashians, etc. and much of this is on purpose. It's kind of fascinating and I'm dying to know what actually going on with her.

Ruckhappy

[20]Mar 30, 2013

mrjimmyjames wrote:

What major films were those, Ruck? Nothing she ever headlined ever did that well. That's why her career had floundered. Hairspray was her biggest film and she simply played a supporting role.

Weeeel, She's The Man was a pretty big hit for its market segment, and she did headline Sydney White. I'm probably a little biased because I watched She's The Man about nine billion times with my then-young, soccer-playing daughters. Because, y'know, Bynes seemed like a fine young actress at the time, and a good role model.

No, you're right, Bynes never did headline a "major" film.

JustinRAn

[21]Mar 30, 2013
    She was the "Lead" in What A Girl Wants

Ruckhappy

[22]Mar 31, 2013

JustinRAn wrote:
    She was the "Lead" in What A Girl Wants

Holy Ned, Bynes was in a film with Jonathan Pryce and Colin Firth, and she was the only one billed above the title? I had no idea. I mean, that obviously wasn't a "major" film, but how did that happen?