Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Melissa McCarthy/Phoenix (4/6/13)

HelloStuart

[24]Apr 2, 2013
    • level: 63
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:

All I can say about Bynes as an actress was that while she demonstrated great promise as a preteen, I never got the sense that she ever matured or honed her craft. She didn't understand that what might have been unique and precocious at age 12 is annoying and over the top at age 21.

Yeah, what put her on the map as a kid was too silly/childish and simply doesn't work for an adult female. She didn't have an adult sense of humor like Wiig, Fey, etc. and as a result no longer had an audience for her own headline starring films. That's why she was tagging along in supporting roles in Hairspray and Easy A. Supposedly she was dying to get a raunchy part in Hall Pass in order to make a transition to that style of humor. I think she also could have wound up typecast in films as "the token girlfriend" (a role Sarah Silverman hated). So, I can understand why she lost passion for it.

I'm not sure it would even be okay to make fun of her considering she may actually be mentally ill. Although at times I'm left wondering if she just wants to be like the Kardashians, etc. and much of this is on purpose. It's kind of fascinating and I'm dying to know what actually going on with her.

I'm no psychologist, but I would diagnose Bynes with severe narcissism. She wanted to be the next Gilda Radner but never put her money where her mouth is. Given her downward spiral, I can't really make fun of her either.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

mrjimmyjames

[25]Apr 2, 2013
    • level: 7

HelloStuart wrote:
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:

All I can say about Bynes as an actress was that while she demonstrated great promise as a preteen, I never got the sense that she ever matured or honed her craft. She didn't understand that what might have been unique and precocious at age 12 is annoying and over the top at age 21.

Yeah, what put her on the map as a kid was too silly/childish and simply doesn't work for an adult female. She didn't have an adult sense of humor like Wiig, Fey, etc. and as a result no longer had an audience for her own headline starring films. That's why she was tagging along in supporting roles in Hairspray and Easy A. Supposedly she was dying to get a raunchy part in Hall Pass in order to make a transition to that style of humor. I think she also could have wound up typecast in films as "the token girlfriend" (a role Sarah Silverman hated). So, I can understand why she lost passion for it.

I'm not sure it would even be okay to make fun of her considering she may actually be mentally ill. Although at times I'm left wondering if she just wants to be like the Kardashians, etc. and much of this is on purpose. It's kind of fascinating and I'm dying to know what actually going on with her.

I'm no psychologist, but I would diagnose Bynes with severe narcissism. She wanted to be the next Gilda Radner but never put her money where her mouth is. Given her downward spiral, I can't really make fun of her either.

So you probably think she'll wind up with a Kardashian style reality show? I would agree. Or will she become like Lohan or worse?

JustinRAn

[26]Apr 5, 2013
    • level: 12
    Maybe she's doing another "I'm still here" like film.

HelloStuart

[27]Apr 6, 2013

Tuesday promos! Also, visors!

danharr

[28]Apr 6, 2013
    • level: 45

North Korea bit was okay can't believe I had to take my first shot looking at Dennis Rodman but okay.

danharr

[29]Apr 6, 2013

Jenny does the fat physical comedy great monologue was good.

danharr

[30]Apr 6, 2013

Nice Rutgers bit McCarthy is good.

RealityFan2686

[31]Apr 6, 2013
    • level: 30

HelloStuart wrote:
    It can't be any weirder than Forest Whitaker/Keith Urban. Or better yet, Ron Nessen/Patti Smith.

I'm glad I'm not the only who thought the Whitaker/Urban pairing was weird (I honestly thought I was the only one) I did enjoy the episode regardless though. Although I don't quite understand what's so weird about the Nessen/Smith pairing....probably because it was an episode from before I was born.

Tina

Edited on 04/06/2013 8:51pm

danharr

[32]Apr 6, 2013

The voice parody sucked.

danharr

[33]Apr 6, 2013

Ham was funny hearing Push It again was worth it alone.

danharr

[34]Apr 6, 2013

Drunk Uncle ftw as usual!

danharr

[35]Apr 6, 2013

Wheel of fortune was fun.

danharr

[36]Apr 6, 2013

Pizza eater was so crazy it was beautiful.

danharr

[37]Apr 6, 2013

Splits on the face perfect way to end the show not bad imo.

JustinRAn

[38]Apr 6, 2013
    • level: 12
    Did anyone else notice that before Melissa said anything in the sketches, The audience applauded her? Especially the Leftover Pizza Job? As soon as she entered, The Audience cheered.

It was just really noticeable to me.

The Gym Coach, Business Bathroom, Weekend Update and Closing Sketch were good. That already makes Tonight's episode much better than her previous Hosting (At least to me.)

Royce7815

[39]Apr 6, 2013
    • level: 4

I gotta say McCarthy is a very good actress i mean going by her last appearance and this one. For a while I wasn't sure if her fumbling with her shoes was part of the monologue or not (at least until she fell and Taran came out then i got what they were doing) but her execution was great. The Aggressive coach parody was pretty funny,especially with her shooting that shirt cannon. Though many may have not enjoyed The Voice sketch i was excited to see it come up during the commercial break i always like to look at shows like that and think about who would play them on the show i had Adam, Usher and Blake pegged before it aired but i was figured either Cecily or Kate would do Shakira, I'm glad they went with Kate instead. The musical performance was not really my type of music but they sounded alright, a little familiar too. I see they really are wanting to go with Vanessa's Jacob character, O.K. I just knew Seth was gonna mention something about Jimmy Fallon but i guess not. Drunk Uncle didn't really get me like it usually does. Over all i think this was better then her first.

83optics

[40]Apr 7, 2013
    • level: 6

learned:

* spring-break crowd...

* the North Korean leader uses the red equals sign on his facebook.

* Phoenix: hey, that's my name...yeah, but no, they were good.

* wanting to eat pizza, that's how Chuck E. Cheese got started.

* always end the show with tongue...

mrjimmyjames

[41]Apr 7, 2013
    • level: 7

Royce7815 wrote:

I just knew Seth was gonna mention something about Jimmy Fallon but i guess not.

Considering that he is caught up in that whole story, I'm thinking he doesn't want to comment until everything concerning his future is made clear.

TheDiamondDog

[43]Apr 7, 2013
    • level: 61

I wasn't that crazy about the episode. But I didn't pay much attention, as I was working on something. Sketches were okay.

HelloStuart

[44]Apr 7, 2013
    My thoughts:

+ Tonight's cold open wasn't a total waste, but it did get tedious at times. With tensions between the two Koreas back at fever pitch, Kim Jong-Un (BM) strays from bragging about North Korea's nuclear might to discuss gay marriage and his own alleged virility. The Dennis Rodman cameo --no, that was not Jay-- was gilding the lily, though.

+ What a great deconstruction of the typical monologue tropes. The host should interact with the band more often.

+ The Rutgers video scandal was the top sports story of the week --sorry, Louisville freak leg guy-- and in spite of its subject matter it had to be addressed somehow. Of tonight's two topical sketches this was by far the more effective; MelMac was committed in every sense as hoops coach and uber-bully Sheila Kelly, and her increasingly bizarre antics were a delight.

+ Dan makes a point: that "Voice" parody didn't seem ripe. Strangely, in spite of the "Toot Toot" song it was the only remotely grounded character MelMac played all night.

+ Who would dare to drink with Drunk Uncle? Tyronn Lannister, apparently.

+ Either SNL couldn't get the licensing to use "Wheel of Fortune" or they didn't want to indirectly humiliate Pat and Vanna et al. Either way, "Million Dollar Wheel" was probably the sole sketch of the evening where MelMac's physicality worked against her. She's just too self-aware to play ditzy.

+ A random piece of trivia: Phoenix is the first musical guest from a non-English speaking country to appear on SNL twice. Language barriers aside, their workmanlike homage to '80s new wave is as undaunted as it was four years ago. The first single "Entertainment!" is an oddly needy power anthem; "Trying To Be Cool" proved to be an indirect segue into the last sketch lyric-wise, though the song itself was a semi-funky jam with a decent guitar solo.

+ If any lesson was learned from the last time MelMac hosted, it was that she is a physical comedian that plays big characters. Tonight played to her strengths, and she carried nearly every sketch on her burly shoulders, though she didn't really reveal anything new about herself or her trade. Maybe she didn't have to.

7/10