Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Miley Cyrus (10/5/13)

HelloStuart

[1]Sep 9, 2013
    • level: 63

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/10/business/media/tina-fey-to-host-return-of-saturday-night-live.html?_r=2&

*sigh*

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

avmon

[2]Sep 9, 2013
    • level: 16
    Any guess Ms. Cyrus may become a bigger train wreck on the show than Ms. Lohan ever was?

Hennes81

[3]Sep 9, 2013
    • level: 5

avmon wrote:
    Any guess Ms. Cyrus may become a bigger train wreck on the show than Ms. Lohan ever was?

Looking at her first hosting stint, Idk why I should guess that. Of course Lohans 4th show was way worse than the first 3, but I don't see a sign Miley will go the same route.

Since I really liked her hosting I'm happy for her coming back.

JustinRAn

[4]Sep 9, 2013
    • level: 12
    Lohan's 4th show was horrible because of the sketches. You could've had Betty White in those sketches and they would've bombed too (The Real Housewives of Disney? Afros? Deliquent Girl Teen Gang? House Sitting? Rude Buddha?) although the Psychic Awards bit was funny.

I wonder if she'll twerk her monologue? If SNL doesn't do a VMA Sketch, They need to fire all of their writers.

Sketch Wish: A Sketch where Vanessa Bayer as Miley gets an intervention by her fellow musicians due to her VMA stunt

Woodstein

[5]Sep 9, 2013
    • level: 14
    My hope is that the VMAs don't get more than a passing mention during the episode, it's already played out. I can see her riffing on her attempt to cultivate a new image, though. Mainly, how she's trying to seem more grown up by cutting her hair short and wearing less clothes and then recording the exact same teen pop she was doing before.

JM5000

[6]Sep 9, 2013
    • level: 7

I didn't think she was too bad last time, but I didn't think she was good enough to warrant a comeback either...I dunno, I just figured that by now she was kind of beyond making fun of herself, and after her image change, the twerking, and most recently, a music video where she's naked on a wrecking ball, that SNL shouldn't bother with her anymore...But I guess it's like Lohan; They want to shed some light on her controversies.

As for her being musical guest, I find it a real shame that they have to follow someone as awesome as Arcade Fire with her...I pretty much feel that her recent songs have made more of a Rebecca Black kind of impact, and THAT'S why they're popular...But whatever, I guess if it will get the annual teen-pop garbage musical guest out of the way early on, I can hope for the likes of Daft Punk and Black Sabbath in the future...

Hennes81

[7]Sep 10, 2013

JM5000 wrote:

As for her being musical guest, I find it a real shame that they have to follow someone as awesome as Arcade Fire with her...

So, it wouldn't be a shame if the first MG would have been Rihanna or Maroon 5? Don't get your logic.

Also I don't think they just booked Miley and Katy to get the teen pop music off the schedule. They try to find the most successful and influential MGs of the present and if teen pop sells good (and is recognized by many people) they will book teen pop artists. If Rihanna, Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez would publish new albums this season they all would have a chance to be booked on SNL - even though rock fans might not like it.

JM5000

[8]Sep 10, 2013
    • level: 7

Hennes81 wrote:

JM5000 wrote:

As for her being musical guest, I find it a real shame that they have to follow someone as awesome as Arcade Fire with her...

So, it wouldn't be a shame if the first MG would have been Rihanna or Maroon 5? Don't get your logic.

Also I don't think they just booked Miley and Katy to get the teen pop music off the schedule. They try to find the most successful and influential MGs of the present and if teen pop sells good (and is recognized by many people) they will book teen pop artists. If Rihanna, Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez would publish new albums this season they all would have a chance to be booked on SNL - even though rock fans might not like it.

No, I'm just saying that maybe someone a little more respectable could have followed AF...But whatever; They're performing for the premiere, which is a high honor, so I shouldn't complain too much.

They usually try to balance out the different genres, resulting in half the season being pop/R&B/hip-hip/country-related, and the other half being various forms of rock. They're also usually inclined to let in at least one rapper and at least one teeny bop artist. They try to appeal to all crowds at least to some degree...

JustinRAn

[9]Sep 10, 2013

JM5000 wrote:

I didn't think she was too bad last time, but I didn't think she was good enough to warrant a comeback either...I dunno, I just figured that by now she was kind of beyond making fun of herself, and after her image change, the twerking, and most recently, a music video where she's naked on a wrecking ball, that SNL shouldn't bother with her anymore...But I guess it's like Lohan; They want to shed some light on her controversies.

As for her being musical guest, I find it a real shame that they have to follow someone as awesome as Arcade Fire with her...I pretty much feel that her recent songs have made more of a Rebecca Black kind of impact, and THAT'S why they're popular...But whatever, I guess if it will get the annual teen-pop garbage musical guest out of the way early on, I can hope for the likes of Daft Punk and Black Sabbath in the future...

Kristen Wiig did say that Miley was a really good host. It was in a video that I can't find right now.

It's odd how out of all the hosts so far, Only Miley really has anything to promote. Fey has no movies outside of a side roll in Anchorman 2 and Willis has nothing except for Sin City 2 next year.

Edited on 09/10/2013 10:07am

Ruckhappy

[10]Sep 10, 2013
    • level: 8

JustinRAn wrote:
    Sketch Wish: A Sketch where Vanessa Bayer as Miley gets an intervention by her fellow musicians due to her VMA stunt
    If it involves Vanessa twerking I'm all for it.

Actually, I also wondered if they were front-loading "obligatory host types" to get them out of the way for the season:

--Aging superstar (Willis, but at least we won't get stuck with de Niro or Madonna again)

--Poptart sensations (Cyrus & Perry, but also inoculated against Selena Gomez and the remainder of that ilk)

--College radio art rockers (Arcade Fire, and yet think of all the other mandolin bands we'll avoid)

Tina doesn't really count because she's actually a good alumni host, but on top of that we'll keep Wiig at bay for another season.

HelloStuart

[11]Sep 15, 2013
    Ruckhappy wrote:

Tina doesn't really count because she's actually a good alumni host, but on top of that we'll keep Wiig at bay for another season.

Not necessarily.

JustinRAn

[12]Sep 15, 2013
    HelloStuart wrote:
    Ruckhappy wrote:

Not necessarily.

Sadly true.

Ruckhappy

[13]Sep 19, 2013

Stop! You're creating a self-fulfilling prophecy. She's like the Candyman. "Wiig, Wiig...."

HelloStuart

[14]Sep 19, 2013
    Ruckhappy wrote:

Stop! You're creating a self-fulfilling prophecy. She's like the Candyman. "Wiig, Wiig...."

"Biggie Smalls, Biggie Smalls, Biggie Smalls..."

Royce7815

[15]Oct 1, 2013
    • level: 4

Miley's Check list

Let's see...

1.) Retool Disney image with new video (We can't stop)

2.) Perform said song on a highly watched awards show (get every media outlet obsessed over me and my, so called "new" dance move)

3.) Debut the next, more raunchy video after award show performance

4.) Book another live performance gig

5.) Start a pregnancy rumor the week before my next live appearance

And i think that just about does it.....Yep that looks pretty cool.

JustinRAn

[16]Oct 1, 2013
    HelloStuart wrote:
    Ruckhappy wrote:

"Biggie Smalls, Biggie Smalls, Biggie Smalls..."

That would be a better episode this season than Wiig.

Hennes81

[17]Oct 2, 2013

Say about Miley what you want but she wanted to tell everyone about her new stage persona and new music style and she did it big time. I think even her PR didn't expect the impact her VMA performance would have but it's a sign for PR getting their work done.

Since I'm not really following all the gossip news, for me it's more fun watching everybody complaining about the Miley VMA coverage. As if they would be happier with her if she was the Disney good girl anymore...

Ruckhappy

[18]Oct 2, 2013

The problem with doing SNL as a controversial, overly hyped star is that the show needs to be running strong enough to support you through the inevitable audience dislike. They got Lohan through one last hosting gig via the cast vets practically carrying her through it, but Bieber cratered under the weight of his own douchebag-ery last season in large part because the writing staff was in the middle of a meltdown. Cyrus is going to be working with a cast half full of newbies still sorting themselves out and the same old writing staff.

Hennes81

[19]Oct 3, 2013

Ruckhappy wrote:

The problem with doing SNL as a controversial, overly hyped star is that the show needs to be running strong enough to support you through the inevitable audience dislike. They got Lohan through one last hosting gig via the cast vets practically carrying her through it, but Bieber cratered under the weight of his own douchebag-ery last season in large part because the writing staff was in the middle of a meltdown. Cyrus is going to be working with a cast half full of newbies still sorting themselves out and the same old writing staff.

For me thats a general problem with SNL hosts who turn out to be bad. I didn't like the Bieber or Lohan show from season 38 but Jeremy Renner wasn't better. Also I don't know if anyone was a bad host because of his "douchebag-ery" or because he was nervous; bad hosting is just bad hosting to me.

Hennes81

[20]Oct 3, 2013

Small news item which could be used for the monologue or a WU joke:

Sinead O'Connor is (publicly) worried about Mileys new image.

On the other hand: They might have way to much ideas for the monologue or WU jokes about Miley until now.