TV.com will be making changes to the Private Message system the week of Jan 26, 2015. For more information click here

Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Miley Cyrus (10/5/13)

skooby7

[41]Oct 5, 2013
    • level: 3
    avmon wrote:
    Well, that cheerleader/alien sketch was lame...

agreed.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

danharr

[42]Oct 5, 2013
    • level: 45

Yes always a lame sketch towards the end of the show and might be two cause morning Miami is not floating my boat right about now.

avmon

[43]Oct 5, 2013
    • level: 16
    danharr wrote:

Yes always a lame sketch towards the end of the show and might be two cause morning Miami is not floating my boat right about now.

I actually liked this one especially when they go bored when the director keeps ending the promo takes.

JustinRAn

[44]Oct 5, 2013
    • level: 12
    Anyway, I would've had the Cheerleader sketch with the entire cast as cheerleaders saying odd/weird/embarrassing/non-sequitur things about themselves in cheer.

That Morning Miami sketch is what I think of when the "On Air" sign goes off.

Also, I think that's the first time Seth has ever introduced a Musical act.

skooby7

[45]Oct 5, 2013
    • level: 3

She really is a good singer.

avmon

[46]Oct 5, 2013
    skooby7 wrote:

She really is a good singer.

Agreed.

avmon

[47]Oct 5, 2013
    Poetry class was interesting if underwhelming.

danharr

[48]Oct 5, 2013

She had to twerk to put herself in a position to showcase her talent sad but at least now we know. Gay for flowers lol poetry sketch not bad.

JustinRAn

[49]Oct 5, 2013
    That was a sadder twist ending than Breaking Dawn Pt. 2.

Do I smell a new recurring character?

JustinRAn

[50]Oct 5, 2013
    Wow that was a bad Digital Short.

avmon

[51]Oct 5, 2013
    What was the point of that last sketch?

danharr

[52]Oct 5, 2013

Last sketch was interesting not surprised it was a good episode and I liked it better than the season premier good job guys.

avmon

[53]Oct 5, 2013

So even with the show running 30 min. late, they still cut most of the closing credits...

Edited on 10/05/2013 10:30pm

JustinRAn

[54]Oct 5, 2013
    Say what you will about Miley Cyrus but you can't say she's above making fun of herself unlike other people (Paris Hilton) and doesn't seem out of place while hosting.

Royce7815

[55]Oct 5, 2013
    • level: 4

Well at first i was getting nervous because i thought I was the only one missing SNL, glad to know i wasn't.

I felt like everything was kinda late as far as the cold opening and the music video parody but i guess being that Miley was the host people were expecting something to be said about it.

Is anyone else getting the feeling of this being Taran's show now? lol

I was disappointed with Weekend Update mainly because i was really expecting to see more of the new cast. I really hope Cecily has someone else to co-anchor when seth leaves. (if Seth leaves) I'm not saying she's bad i'm just saying there should still be that duo host dynamic continuing on.

I'm thinking that poetry class sketch should have been switched with the Cheerleader one.

Even though there was no appearance from the new cast on Update the last segment made up for it. I knew after learning about Mooney and Bennet and their Good Neighbor group, they were going to bring that same type of comedy to the show. I'm definitely looking forward to more of it.

Edited on 10/05/2013 10:42pm

HelloStuart

[56]Oct 6, 2013
    • level: 63
    avmon wrote:

So even with the show running 30 min. late, they still cut most of the closing credits...

The time slot is still 92 minutes, no matter the delay.

HelloStuart

[57]Oct 6, 2013
    My thoughts:

+ Tonight's cold open started with a nice little curveball. Instead of some obligatory government shutdown sketch --which would have merely gilded the lily from last week's cold open-- we received an equally inevitable parody of Miley's VMA performance. After the clever intro, things fell off the rails fast; time-traveling "old" Miley was barely explained or clarifed at all, and the sketch itself felt little more than a litany of walk-ons.

+ I guess Bobby doesn't have body image issues after all.

+ Quite a few critics (including the SNL guy at AV Club) didn't like the "Fifty Shades of Gray" audition reel, but in spite of a lack of consistency there were quite a few interesting imitations, including Nasim as Aziz Ansari and Aidy silently disappearing into Rebel Wilson. Kenan's Steve Harvey is always a gem, especially when he addresses Rebel as "Chester Cheetah."

+ A filmed piece is rarely used as a cold open, but "We Did Stop" (a government shutdown parody of "We Can't Stop") was a dead-on parody of the controversial video. Never mind that Miley was imitating a no-longer-relevant Michele Bachmann, Taran was aces as Speaker John Boehner.

+ Cecily didn't fare much better in her second week at the Update desk. Seth is (was?) so comfortable doing the segment solo that his presence is both dominating and almost unnecessary. I liked her little moment with Jacob the Bar Mitzvah boy, though.

+ Just for all the technical gaffes alone, I doubt we'll see "Cheerleader Abduction" in the 60-minute edit. One must wonder how that green-screen debacle looked on the west coast...

+ Once you take the away the disturbing imagery "Wrecking Ball" is, believe it or not, a workmanlike power ballad in the vein of Jim Steinman or Diane Warren. The acoustic version of "We Can't Stop" (little person guitarist or not) did nothing for me, though.

+ Two of the strongest sketches aired in the last half-hour. "Mornin' Miami" grew majestically, with Bobby perfectly cast as the older morning talk show host forced to tolerate his two buddly co-hosts as random pop culture references fly left and right. "Kyle's Office" was akin to the old Digital shorts, with newbie Kyle Mooney coming thisclose to hooking up with Miley, as Bobby and Beck watch confusingly when absurdity ensues.

+ On the unofficial 10th anniversary of Justin Timberlake's hosting, a pretty good show that proved to have a positive and unexpected impact over the decade to come, Miley's double duty is a weird full circle moment of sorts. Anyone with a built-in bias toward Cyrus were probably placated tonight, a fair show that came close to completely falling apart. Cyrus was most certainly interesting and even self-deprecating at times, but she was only intermittently funny and rarely connected in roles that seemed more like archetypes (the hip-hop white girl, a cheerleader, herself). Making an overexposed narcissist look good is never easy, but the final result could have been way, way worse.

4.5/10

HelloStuart

[58]Oct 6, 2013
    ^ that Bachmann comment should have said "irrelevant." I'm tired.