Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Paul Rudd/One Direction (12/07/13)

warqueen

[1]Nov 21, 2013
    • level: 6

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=840246&ocid=rr-tv-news

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

JM5000

[2]Nov 21, 2013
    • level: 8

*sigh* I was afraid of this...

Let me just make this perfectly clear: I never really got what made Paul Rudd so special as a host...I mean, he performed just fine, but he never really had any super-funny moments aside from the Digital Shorts he did with Andy...I practically forgot almost everything from his last appearance. I'm sorry, I just don't see what's so special about him...

And...*sigh*...One Direction is coming back...Boy, oh boy, they better not screw this up like their epic fail of a performance last time...They were on America's Got Talent this year, and I guess they weren't HORRIBLE...But still, I'm not looking forward to these little pukes...The only positive thing to say is that with all the pop musicians we've gotten for the first half of this season (and with them filling the boy-band quota), the second half is gonna have to be loaded with rock music! And no, I don't want it all to be whatever indie band they can find, because indie's just not enough to counter all the teeny-bopper crap...We need more punk, metal and alternative on this show!

So overall, not looking forward to this one...

avmon

[3]Nov 21, 2013
    • level: 17
    JM5000 wrote:

Let me just make this perfectly clear: I never really got what made Paul Rudd so special as a host...I mean, he performed just fine, but he never really had any super-funny moments aside from the Digital Shorts he did with Andy...I practically forgot almost everything from his last appearance. I'm sorry, I just don't see what's so special about him...

And...*sigh*...One Direction is coming back...Boy, oh boy, they better not screw this up like their epic fail of a performance last time...They were on America's Got Talent this year, and I guess they weren't HORRIBLE...But still, I'm not looking forward to these little pukes...The only positive thing to say is that with all the pop musicians we've gotten for the first half of this season (and with them filling the boy-band quota), the second half is gonna have to be loaded with rock music! And no, I don't want it all to be whatever indie band they can find, because indie's just not enough to counter all the teeny-bopper crap...We need more punk, metal and alternative on this show!

Oh, you mean like having Fear appear during Dick Ebersol's first season before he fills most of his remaining era with the Top 40 acts of the time?

JM5000

[4]Nov 21, 2013

avmon wrote:
    JM5000 wrote:

Oh, you mean like having Fear appear during Dick Ebersol's first season before he fills most of his remaining era with the Top 40 acts of the time?

Well, I'm not saying they should check every nook and cranny for whatever crazy drunken band they can find...But there have been many punk and metal bands that are to this day among SNL's most respected performers (and Fear could have been among them if they hadn't been such destructive hooligans...) It's been years since they've given them much attention, and have been focusing mostly on indie bands in order to counter the simpler teen-pandering choices...

But I'm gonna be honest here, indie is no replacement for alternative. People consider the two similar, but to me there IS a difference: Indie focuses on simply deviating from what the bandwagon wants, whereas punk and alternative focuses more on attacking everything the bandwagon represents. To me, punk and alternative have a pair, whereas indie simply manages to protect that pair...

In the end, I really do like indie a lot, but it can never replace the anarchy represented in my favorite musical genres...I just want to see more hardcore music on this show (that isn't rap).

But that's just me, taking a peek through some nostalgia goggles I bought at the 99 cent store today...As long as the second half of this season is loaded with higher-quality choices, I'm cool...

HelloStuart

[5]Nov 22, 2013
    • level: 63
    avmon wrote:
    JM5000 wrote:

That yen for Top 40 acts poured into Year 11 as well, Queen Ida and The Replacements notwithstanding.

JM5000

[6]Nov 22, 2013

HelloStuart wrote:
    avmon wrote:
    JM5000 wrote:

That yen for Top 40 acts poured into Year 11 as well, Queen Ida and The Replacements notwithstanding.

That was a time when I think they could have done with a little MORE pop...A lot of the bands they booked back then were kind of forgotten within the next ten years...But I guess every season is bound to have a few of those...

JM5000

[7]Dec 7, 2013

Episode Predictions:

Monologue: Maybe something to do with Anchorman 2...

First Musical Performance: "Best Song Ever"

Second Musical Performance: "Story of My Life"

Possible Cameos: Will Ferrell, Steve Carell, David Koechner, Christina Applegate, Seth Rogen

danharr

[8]Dec 7, 2013
    • level: 45

Sound of music skit perfection.

danharr

[9]Dec 7, 2013

They are batting 100 so far great opening monologue.

danharr

[10]Dec 7, 2013

Al Sharpton is an idiot never gets old. Creepy guy into the band was another hit this show is off the chain good!

danharr

[11]Dec 7, 2013

Divorce couple was so dumb it was funny.

danharr

[12]Dec 7, 2013

Little penis statue was fun.

danharr

[13]Dec 7, 2013

White Christmas was good.

danharr

[14]Dec 7, 2013

Okay nights almost over time for the subpar skits Santa crossfit freak sucked.

danharr

[15]Dec 7, 2013

And they came back with the sex fantasy skit that was fun.

danharr

[16]Dec 7, 2013

Brasky was another of those so crazy it was funny bits. How do these bits go to air how does a sober executive take a risk on something like this?

Royce7815

[17]Dec 7, 2013
    • level: 4

I feel like everyone was waiting for Goodman to show up early in the Brasky bit because it seemed like they were holding back a little.

JustinRAn

[18]Dec 7, 2013
    • level: 12
    Royce7815 wrote:

I feel like everyone was waiting for Goodman to show up early in the Brasky bit because it seemed like they were holding back a little.

That sketch or this show?

How big of a fanbase does Doonise have? She was just on in May. I'm surprised they dusted off Fred for that sketch. I don't get the Appeal of Paul Rudd hosting. Sure, the cast probably likes him, but it feels to me like Lorne is trying to make him the new Alec Baldwin.

I don't know what to give this episode maybe 4 points for Update guests, Divorce, David, and White Christmas. The episode ended less than 10 minutes ago (DVR'd it) and I can barely remember the show.

JM5000

[19]Dec 7, 2013

Quite a few things to say about tonight, so let's waste no time...

I think Rudd summed it up best why he never stuck out to me as a host before: Because he's always overshadowed...Not just by the musical guest, but by the multiple cameos. Tonight wasn't much different, mainly going by the monologue where he shared the background with his Anchorman co-stars...That said, he did have a few funny characters tonight, like the #1 One Direction fan, the pizza guy, and of course, the member of the Bill Brasky pack. So keep in mind that I never said he wasn't talented...I think it was mainly that he got lost in the shadow of even better hosts of the previous seasons he was booked...But since this season hasn't had any HUGE standouts in the host category yet, I would say that he managed to be one of the best hosts so far...Although it is a strong possibility that he will be shadowed yet again by our next two hosts...

And I REALLY hate to admit it...But One Direction was...okay. Nothing spectacular, but they seemed to actually be singing this time (and even if they WERE lip-syncing, they hid it a LOT better than their last appearance). Still one of the weaker musical guests so far, but I will go ahead and place them over Eminem and Katy Perry...It's good to know that so far, there hasn't been any true stinkers in the musical guest category so far this season...On a side note, HELLO JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE! OH, WAIT, YOU'RE WITH ONE DIRECTION, NEVER MIND...

The Brasky sketch surprised me, because I was almost certain that if they were going to do another of those, it would have been next week...I was indeed expecting Goodman to make an early-bird cameo...I mean, yes, he wasn't always the other guy in the sketch (sometimes it was Baldwin...) But when people think of the Bill Brasky sketches, the first performer who is bound to pop into mind is Goodman...Also, I guess Carell didn't want to do the sketch, because if you replace Taran with Carell, you got the Anchorman crew...Kind of a shame we didn't see much of him, but oh well...And on a final note, Taran and Kenan should consider themselves honored to have performed a rendition of one of SNL's best recurring skits...For Taran in particular, it was almost like he's been doing the sketch his whole life...

So overall, a pretty good show...Probably won't hold a candle to the next two weeks, but for now...

PS, Really starting to like Taran's cynical critic character...He's like Aunt Linda 2.0! Twice the cynicism, twice the mean-spiritedness, and twice the funny!

JM5000

[20]Dec 7, 2013

JustinRAn wrote:
    Royce7815 wrote:

That sketch or this show? How big of a fanbase does Doonise have? She was just on in May. I'm surprised they dusted off Fred for that sketch. I don't get the Appeal of Paul Rudd hosting. Sure, the cast probably likes him, but it feels to me like Lorne is trying to make him the new Alec Baldwin. I don't know what to give this episode maybe 4 points for Update guests, Divorce, David, and White Christmas. The episode ended less than 10 minutes ago (DVR'd it) and I can barely remember the show.

I felt the same way with his last two appearances...I don't consider him one of the greats, but he's still enjoyable enough...But yeah, if you don't care that much for him, I feel ya...