Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Robert De Niro/Diddy Dirty Money (12/4/10)

BaronOne

[21]Dec 4, 2010
    • level: 15

ROBIN WILLIAMS!!!!!!!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

thecomedianky

[22]Dec 4, 2010
    • level: 19
    as always, a great job with what up with that. but keenan, will you please sing the RIGHT words. what, not what's.

BaronOne

[23]Dec 4, 2010

thecomedianky wrote:
    Nice to see Pat getting some lines during the monologue tonight!

Pat?

thecomedianky

[24]Dec 4, 2010
    BaronOne wrote:

thecomedianky wrote:
    Nice to see Pat getting some lines during the monologue tonight!

Pat?

My friend, Pat O'Brien, asked the first question in the monologue. He's a Second City/IO alumnus.

Hirundine

[25]Dec 4, 2010
    • level: 26
    Annnd, the moving photos are back.

thecomedianky

[26]Dec 4, 2010
    I haven't seen Weekend at Bernie's in so long!

BaronOne

[27]Dec 4, 2010

They're utilizing Deniro in a really smart way tonight.

algetrig91

[28]Dec 4, 2010
    • level: 34
    BaronOne wrote:

Which is good, cause he's stumbled over the few cue cards he's had.

thecomedianky

[29]Dec 4, 2010
    algetrig91 wrote:
    BaronOne wrote:

Which is good, cause he's stumbled over the few cue cards he's had.
    I've definitely noticed that. That's three taped bits that he's been in so far and two live sketches aside from introducing the music.

thecomedianky

[30]Dec 4, 2010
    Ben Stiller!!!!

BaronOne

[31]Dec 4, 2010

Good show so far. Better than expected. Love the cameos from Robin and Ben.

danharr

[32]Dec 4, 2010
    • level: 45

Not bad they used De Niro well and wow never thought I'd see him in drag grinding on Diddy.....

thecomedianky

[33]Dec 4, 2010
    he played himself in 3 sketches at my last count.

BaronOne

[34]Dec 4, 2010

I gotta give Deniro credit for going all out in that Blizzard Man sketch. I really liked the ten-to-one sketch, particularly Ben Stiller's second appearance of the night at its conclusion.

TheDiamondDog

[35]Dec 4, 2010
    • level: 61

Was Diddy even in his second song? Sitting on stage surrounded by women is scenery, not performing.

I actually enjoyed the show tonight. I was so glad to see Blizz return. De Niro wasn't that bad. I liked the monologue.

Though for such a great actor, I always forget, he doesn't show much emotion in real life.

Eek, I thought I changed my sig. It's still Thanksgiving? Must have forgotten.

Edited on 12/04/2010 10:14pm

Woodstein

[36]Dec 4, 2010
    • level: 14
    The problem with Robert DeNiro's hosting stints is that he always comes off like he's phoning it in. He seemed to be having a good time and was up for anything, but he just lacks energy and seems to throw everyone else off.

The show itself was probably the weakest of the season, behind Bryan Cranston's episode. There was an excess of recurring bits as usual (Although I didn't mind seeing Blizzard Man and that boy Bobby plays again), and a lot of stuff didn't work as well as it could have because of the problem mentioned in the last paragraph.

Sudelnuppe

[37]Dec 5, 2010
    • level: 16

thecomedianky wrote:
    as always, a great job with what up with that. but keenan, will you please sing the RIGHT words. what, not what's.

Haha, you are sooo right! Love that skit. Don't care how often it is on (never get's old), but the wrong lyrics annoy the hell out of me. Laughing

BaronOne

[38]Dec 5, 2010

My thoughts

HelloStuart

[39]Dec 5, 2010
    • level: 63

I promised I'd have this posted by early Sunday night, but my server was down for most of the evening and I had to go to bed early. Without further ado, my thoughts:

+ That might've been the best cold open of the season. Addressing the Julian Assange/WikiLeaks controversy by juxtaposing secret documents with the syndicated paparazzi trash-fest "TMZ" was brilliant. I'd always wondered how world leaders could be applied to our celebrity-obsessed culture, and the mash-up was on the money. I was half-expecting to see Amy reprise Secretary Clinton, but Vanessa did fine in a pinch. Considering Jim Downey's spotty record of late, this was a clever reprieve.

+ Speaking of cameos, Robin Williams was fair game on "What Up With That?" (his first SNL appearance since 1988 ) and Ben Stiller (1999) was a treat in two later sketches. Maybe they knew DeNiro's comedy chops needed an outside bolster.

+ A parody of Weekend at Bernie's with Bob as Terry Kiser? Apparently, somebody in the writers' room changed the TV from GSN to TNT.

+ Compared to some of Kristen's alter egos, I didn't mind fitness guru Janet Juditran all that much. It was a fair parody of '80s workout videos, and it lacked the wig and weird cadence that normally comprise Wiigy's characters.

+ Abby Elliott was fine, but it probably would've been funnier if a guy played Khloe Kardashian in drag. Just saying, of course.

+ I was skeptical about Sean Combs returning to SNL, and my concerns were mostly justified. Diddy-Dirty Money, his east coast hip-hop fusion of The Black Eyed Peas and Tony Orlando & Dawn, was as generic and banal as could possibly be. The train station motif of SNL's musical backdrop was well-suited for Diddy's new EP Last Train to Paris -an oddity, to say the least- but that's the only praise I can give this performance. Not surprisingly, Diddy sat out the first two minutes of his second song; he let Swiss Beatz and Dawn do the heavy lifting. Congratulations on making Kanye West look self-effacing, Sean.

+ After being cut from all but one dress rehearsal so far this season, "I, Hippie" finally aired… and it was nothing special.

+ Where was Jay Pharaoh? He stood around in the cold opening, and that was it.

+ I'd like to think that there is such a thing as being too famous to host SNL. Julia Roberts will never host, neither will Brad Pitt, or Angelina Jolie, or Tom Cruise, or Al Pacino. For the longest time, people assumed DeNiro fell into that category; he could pull off a cameo about once every five years and that was that. Now that DeNiro has graced SNL three times, we can say we've had a wish fulfilled but simultaneously say we've been mostly underwhelmed. Tonight was by default Bob's strongest stint as host; it was an imperfect 90 minutes loaded with recurring characters, both well-established and soon-to-be, but give credit to an Oscar winner for finally taking his eyes off the cue-cards for more than 15 seconds at a time. He even played a hoochie mama, for chrissakes. Bob should win a "most improved" award, but the show itself was a 5 out of 10.

Edited on 12/05/2010 7:21pm

radrobd

[40]Dec 5, 2010
    • level: 54
    The episode was alright. I still think the Scarlett Johansssen ep was the worst of the season so far. When this ep began, I groaned when I saw Armisen as Obama yet again, but was thankfully spared his rather dull impression(?) for the WikiLinks/TMZ spoof. I am still stunned by the continuing popularity of "What Up with That?" sketch, since its basically the same thing over and over. Plus, I'm not a fan of Kenan and don't understand why he's still on the show after 8 seasons. As much as I think the Digital Shorts miss more than they hit, I must admit, I did laugh at the "Weekend at Bernie's" sketch. Thankfully, I skipped over Dull-Dirty Money's "performances."

One question: at the very end of the ep, DeNiro thanked Diddy-Dirty Money, Robin Williams, Ben Stiller, Lorne... and Steve. Who's Steve?