Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Ryan Phillippe/Ke$ha (4/17/10)

JustinRAn

[41]Apr 17, 2010
    • level: 12
    I'm Shocked the Best Sketch so far is the 5 To 12 Sketch (I Live in IL, Sorry.)
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

avmon

[42]Apr 17, 2010
    • level: 16
    Okay, that last filmed video was really weird...

Hirundine

[43]Apr 17, 2010
    • level: 26

TheDiamondDog wrote:

I found it strange, her saying "Hey SNL, wanna make out?" And there was a very small response, followed by a slightly awkward silence and polite response. Well, at least that was my take on it.

Yeah ... "It's Saturday niiiiight" or whatever got a hesitant response, and then "wanna make out" was met with the audience equivalent of "Uh... no?"

Edited on 04/17/2010 9:58pm

Hirundine

[44]Apr 17, 2010
    Oh ... she's wearing ... feathers.

avmon

[45]Apr 17, 2010
    • level: 16
    Awww, the host just wished his dad Happy Birthday...

Hirundine

[46]Apr 17, 2010
    Sooo, Ke$ha actually managed to be wearing more clown paint than the two clown guys.

TheDiamondDog

[47]Apr 17, 2010
    • level: 61

Hirundine wrote:
    Sooo, Ke$ha actually managed to be wearing more clown paint than the two clown guys.

Speaking of that, A$$ Dan died in 2009 or 2008, whenever the music fest skit was first on. How did he die again? Though I did enjoy some of that song.

Ke$ha's make-up is quite influential for my make-up cla.ss next week. Fantasy/Different is the theme. And that certainly was different

HelloStuart

[48]Apr 17, 2010
    • level: 63
    thefanof wrote:
    Did they just make a mistake?

I think Bobby Moynihan said there was a volcano in Iceland which shut down the entire Long Island railroad to which Seth Meyers replied, "No, the volcano was in Iceland." I think he was supposed to incorrectly say it was in Long Island.

I think I heard that, too. Good catch.

HelloStuart

[49]Apr 17, 2010
    avmon wrote:
    Okay, that last filmed video was really weird...

They were spoofing Insane Clown Posse... ten years after people stopped caring about ICP.

HelloStuart

[50]Apr 17, 2010

This is my last post of the night, I swear. My thoughts:

+ Mt. Eylafjallajokull –otherwise known as "that volcano in Iceland"- was barely on my radar this week, so it was somewhat surprising to see the natural disaster spoofed in the cold open. Larry King's zillionth divorce, not so much.

+ Between the return of Box Guy in the monologue and the resurrection of "Hip Hop Kids," I was half-expecting Justin Timberlake to make a cameo tonight. My presumption proved false, though I hope JT is enjoying his year off.

+ Olivia Newton Cougar Mellancamp? I think there used to be a band in Chicago by that name.

+ As much as I liked that "Mort Mort Feingold" sketch, I can't help but think that the Shoah Foundation will register a complaint about Samberg's performance come Monday morning.

+ Remember what I was saying last week about pulling punches in regards to the Catholic sex abuse scandal? Disregard that complaint. The knives were out tonight.

+ I love those "Song Memories" sketches, and tonight's was pretty strong, though I saw that Tea Party twist ending coming from a mile away. I'm just glad those "Patriots" weren't the focus of tonight's cold open.

+ The chronic masturbator that Andy played in "Teen Talk" sounded kinda like Hank Hill, didn't he?

+ I liked Ke$ha the first time when she was called Lady Gaga. In all seriousness, though we might have a serious contender for worst musical guest of the season. Where Gaga's outfits have a clever aesthetic to them, the Tennessee transplant basically performed one generic dance song in a paunchy astronaut costume, followed by a second generic dance song in neon body paint. It had nothing to do with anything, and the lack of authenticity in her performance made her a near-complete wash.

+ Seems awfully coincidental that there'd be two guys named A** Dan that died in the past year, don't you think?

+ Ke$ha notwithstanding, this was an okay show. It was saturated with recurring characters, yet I can't say any of them overstayed their welcome. They've done that "ESPN Classic" bit ten times this season, each one more cookie-cutter than the next, but I laughed at the absurd concept anyway. Phillippe was an adequate host, though at times he felt out of place and woefully miscast, like in the Insane Clown Posse spoof.

+ "MacGruber" was only plugged twice. Hooray!

BaronOne

[51]Apr 18, 2010
    • level: 15

HelloStuart wrote:

This is my last post of the night, I swear. My thoughts:

+ Mt. Eylafjallajokull –otherwise known as "that volcano in Iceland"- was barely on my radar this week, so it was somewhat surprising to see the natural disaster spoofed in the cold open. Larry King's zillionth divorce, not so much.

+ Between the return of Box Guy in the monologue and the resurrection of "Hip Hop Kids," I was half-expecting Justin Timberlake to make a cameo tonight. My presumption proved false, though I hope JT is enjoying his year off.

+ Olivia Newton Cougar Mellancamp? I think there used to be a band in Chicago by that name.

+ As much as I liked that "Mort Mort Feingold" sketch, I can't help but think that the Shoah Foundation will register a complaint about Samberg's performance come Monday morning.

+ Remember what I was saying last week about pulling punches in regards to the Catholic sex abuse scandal? Disregard that complaint. The knives were out tonight.

+ I love those "Song Memories" sketches, and tonight's was pretty strong, though I saw that Tea Party twist ending coming from a mile away. I'm just glad those "Patriots" weren't the focus of tonight's cold open.

+ The chronic masturbator that Andy played in "Teen Talk" sounded kinda like Hank Hill, didn't he?

+ I liked Ke$ha the first time when she was called Lady Gaga. In all seriousness, though we might have a serious contender for worst musical guest of the season. Where Gaga's outfits have a clever aesthetic to them, the Tennessee transplant basically performed one generic dance song in a paunchy astronaut costume, followed by a second generic dance song in neon body paint. It had nothing to do with anything, and the lack of authenticity in her performance made her a near-complete wash.

+ Seems awfully coincidental that there'd be two guys named A** Dan that died in the past year, don't you think?

+ Ke$ha notwithstanding, this was an okay show. It was saturated with recurring characters, yet I can't say any of them overstayed their welcome. They've done that "ESPN Classic" bit ten times this season, each one more cookie-cutter than the next, but I laughed at the absurd concept anyway. Phillippe was an adequate host, though at times he felt out of place and woefully miscast, like in the Insane Clown Posse spoof.

+ "MacGruber" was only plugged twice. Hooray!

What was your rating?

JustinRAn

[52]Apr 18, 2010
    I Guess you've mentally removed that Wiig/Forte were in every Sketch (Anyone surprised? Me neither.)

I Guess Lorne said "Why only do ESPN Sex Jokes when woman are hosts, let's do it for the Guys as well." Frontbutt; That was way over the line.

Let's Just agree that Will's Catholic Priest/ Swimming Coach bit was just a "Fever Dream."

I Was very angry about Men playing Woman's Roles tonight (Just like David Spade said on his DVD Commentary "They took food out of the Girls Mouths".)

whoaitsconner

[53]Apr 18, 2010
    • level: 21
    This episode exceeded my standards. Ryan Phillippe was a good host, but tonight felt like a cast night. Thats nothing against Phillippe but I just felt like the cast really came together tonight. It really seems like the cast is gelled nicely. I said that last year too around this time, but then Lorne fired 2 of them. Soo...

Ke$ha was a little more from what I was expecting. I was just expecting those washed out songs to be performed in a washed out performance, but at least she... uhh... made the performances interesting? I don't know, but she still wasn't anywhere near my favorite.

I need to write reviews this summer for all these episodes.

HelloStuart

[54]Apr 18, 2010
    whoaitsconner wrote:
    This episode exceeded my standards. Ryan Phillippe was a good host, but tonight felt like a cast night. Thats nothing against Phillippe but I just felt like the cast really came together tonight. It really seems like the cast is gelled nicely. I said that last year too around this time, but then Lorne fired 2 of them. So...

Ke$ha was a little more from what I was expecting. I was just expecting those washed out songs to be performed in a washed out performance, but at least she... uhh... made the performances interesting? I don't know, but she still wasn't anywhere near my favorite.

I need to write reviews this summer for all these episodes.

You're right on one count, Conner; Phillippe was almost invisible as host. It was a cast night where the strongest moments were deferred to Will, Kristen, and Army.

For the record, I gave last night's show a 5.5. Thanks for the catch, Brendan.

JustinRAn

[55]Apr 19, 2010
    I think you mean "Only" Moments were Deffered to Will, Kristen, and Army.

BaronOne

[57]Apr 19, 2010

JustinRAn wrote:
    I Guess you've mentally removed that Wiig/Forte were in every Sketch (Anyone surprised? Me neither.) I Guess Lorne said "Why only do ESPN Sex Jokes when woman are hosts, let's do it for the Guys as well." Frontbutt; That was way over the line. Let's Just agree that Will's Catholic Priest/ Swimming Coach bit was just a "Fever Dream." I Was very angry about Men playing Woman's Roles tonight (Just like David Spade said on his DVD Commentary "They took food out of the Girls Mouths".)

Over the line? Um, you were offended by the term "front butt"?

What's wrong with guys playing female roles from time to time?

HelloStuart

[58]Apr 19, 2010
    BaronOne wrote:

JustinRAn wrote:
    I guess you've mentally removed that Wiig/Forte were in every sketch (Anyone surprised? Me neither.) I Guess Lorne said "Why only do ESPN Sex Jokes when woman are hosts, let's do it for the guys as well." Frontbutt; That was way over the line. Let's just agree that Will's Catholic Priest/ Swimming Coach bit was just a "Fever Dream." I Was very angry about men playing woman's roles tonight (Just like David Spade said on his DVD Commentary "They took food out of the girls' mouths".)

Over the line? Um, you were offended by the term "front butt"?

What's wrong with guys playing female roles from time to time?

I don't think I'd ever heard the phrase "front butt" before until tonight. Trust me, I've heard many euphemisms for the female genitalia in my time, but not that.

Seriously, Justin? Men have been dressing in drag for laughs for as long as I can remember.

JustinRAn

[59]Apr 21, 2010
    ^ Which is why Gap Girls are Among my Least Favorite Sketches.

When you have 3 Woman (I Know there are 4, I just with the Writers Did) barely getting screen time and Kristen being a "Ball Hog"; Having men in drag makes me feel bad for Nasim, Jenny, and Abby.

BaronOne

[60]Apr 23, 2010

It's a little late but...

My thoughts:

http://bit.ly/adN7pl