Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Scarlett Johansson/Arcade Fire (11/13/10)

BaronOne

[21]Nov 14, 2010
    • level: 15

My thoughts

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

radrobd

[22]Nov 14, 2010
    • level: 54
    Agreed. This was the worst ep of the season so far. Definitely not funny.

radrobd

[23]Nov 14, 2010
    • level: 54
    BaronOne wrote:

My thoughts

Seriously?! You are WAYYY too kind. A "B+" for the lame cold opening. I don't think so. Fred is so obviously not suited to play Obama. His take on Obama: talk flatly and insert an "um" every so often. And the sketch wasn't that funny the first time it aired last season.

And an "A-" for "The Manuel Ortiz" Show. Seriously?! This is one sketch that has been played out. It's a one-joke sketch and that joke has been played out that it's no longer funny anymore.

As for "Weekend Update," sorry but it fell flat. Seth just isn't cutting it as anchor. Most of his jokes weren't funny and even the studio audience didn't laugh at most of them.

BaronOne

[24]Nov 14, 2010

radrobd wrote:
    BaronOne wrote:

My thoughts

Seriously?! You are WAYYY too kind. A "B+" for the lame cold opening. I don't think so. Fred is so obviously not suited to play Obama. His take on Obama: talk flatly and insert an "um" every so often. And the sketch wasn't that funny the first time it aired last season. And an "A-" for "The Manuel Ortiz" Show. Seriously?! This is one sketch that has been played out. It's a one-joke sketch and that joke has been played out that it's no longer funny anymore. As for "Weekend Update," sorry but it fell flat. Seth just isn't cutting it as anchor. Most of his jokes weren't funny and even the studio audience didn't laugh at most of them.

The cold opening was funny thanks to Bill's delivery and Armisen's deadpan Obama. I'm tired of people criticizing him for the impression. It's really not that bad.

The Manuel Ortiz Show was pretty good this time actually.

Weekend Update was entertaining. I don't know where you're getting the "Seth isn't cutting it" thing. Seth hit his peak in 2008 and has been doing great since. I think he actually does better as a solo anchor.

One further note, who gives a damn about the studio audience? Norm sure didn't and he was one of the best anchors they had. The studio audience reaction doesn't make or break a sketch for me (case in point: I loved the french dancing sketch from Stone/KOL, but it got little reaction.

But you know what they say about opinions...

Edited on 11/14/2010 6:00pm

JustinRAn

[25]Nov 14, 2010
    • level: 12

BaronOne wrote:

One further note, who gives a damn about the studio audience? Norm sure didn't and he was one of the best anchors they had. The studio audience reaction doesn't make or break a sketch for me (case in point: I loved the french dancing sketch from Stone/KOL, but it got little reaction.

Didn't he get Fired over that?

Edited on 11/14/2010 6:18pm

HelloStuart

[26]Nov 14, 2010
    • level: 63
    JustinRAn wrote:

BaronOne wrote:

One further note, who gives a damn about the studio audience? Norm sure didn't and he was one of the best anchors they had. The studio audience reaction doesn't make or break a sketch for me (case in point: I loved the French dancing sketch from Stone/KOL, but it got little reaction.

Didn't he get fired over that?

Not quite. Don Ohlmeyer forced Lorne to pull Norm from WU for a variety of reasons. Ohlmeyer was old friends with OJ Simpson, and he didn't like that Norm kept implying that "The Juice" got away with murder; keep in mind that in the late '90s public opinion was 50/50 as to whether OJ should've been acquitted. Norm's ability to deliver a bad joke and somehow nail it was one-of-a-kind, but it completely went over Don's head. Worst of all, Norm's Update could have a sloppy, ramshackle feel that --depending on who you asked-- looked bewildering and unprofessional or oddly charming and playful. The end result was another classic NBC fiasco.

HelloStuart

[27]Nov 14, 2010
    radrobd wrote:
    Agreed. This was the worst ep of the season so far. Definitely not funny.

Who are you agreeing with?

thechosenonecj

[28]Nov 14, 2010
    • level: 7
    wow, really didn't like this one. I enjoyed the train sketch and towards the end of the hollywood dish section, otherwise I hardly laughed tbh :/

justinwestnet

[29]Nov 15, 2010
    • level: 17
    I don't claim to be an expert critic or anything but that was awful. Laughed once or twice. the host was awful. She sounded the exact same in every sketch. anne hathaway should be better this weekend!

BaronOne

[30]Nov 15, 2010

For some reason, I lost it during the Unstoppable parody when Denzel and Pine are hugging and Denzel then just goes wide-eyed and says "O-KAY!"

HelloStuart

[31]Nov 15, 2010

I was going to post this last night, but there was another bug in the forum.

My thoughts, part 1:

+ I was half-expecting tonight's cold open to be a response to last week's Republican takeover of the House of Representatives; we haven't seen the SNL powers that be take on John Boehner or the Tea Party phenomenon all that much, and it would've been quite refreshing. Instead, we were treated to a rehash of last season's Obama/Hu Jintau "boink me in the a$$" routine, with Hader filling in for the departed Forte. Was this really the best they could do?

+ ScarJo made some excellent points about celebrity overexposure, though the "wear panties" and sex tape remarks could've easily popped up in a monologue from 2006.

+ I've never watched "Millionaire Matchmaker," though I've seen promos, so I'll assume for this review's sake that the parody was true to its target.

+ "Unstoppable" looks like a ridiculous movie –the plot is lifted straight from the 1999 NBC miniseries "Atomic Train"— so an equally glib parody was money in the bank. Jay's pinpoint Denzel impression was put to way better use than that extraneous "Point of No Returns" sketch from last month.

+ Memo to Bill Hader: we love you, but please stop cracking up in sketches. You're supposed to be our generation's Phil Hartman, not a sugar-free substitute for Jimmy Fallon.

HelloStuart

[32]Nov 15, 2010

My thoughts, part 2:

+ I never thought I'd say this, but Melanie Hutsell does a better job of mimicking Paula Deen than Kristen Wiig. Hutsell was a walking vacuum during her three years in the cast, and her constant hamming it up could kill a sketch in its tracks, but Mel's Paula has way more nuance. Plus, Hutsell is from the Deep South like Deen, so she knows how to walk the walk and talk the talk.

+ My monthly music blog takes more time and energy than it appears, so I'm not quite caught up on the biggest releases of 2010. One disc on my to-do list is The Suburbs, Arcade Fire's soaring, challenging third album (or so I've heard). If tonight's two songs were a fair sampling of their new material, than those artsy Quebecois have another grand slam on their hands.

+ Lorne has been known to cut sketches in dress rehearsal, than reverse his decision if the show runs short. Odds are, that's how "Mike's Busteria" snuck into the five-to-one slot. This recurring sketch is amusing to watch if only for Scarlett's flailing arms, swinging with determined aplomb as Lexi and her father hawk the latest in gaudy home d├ęcor.

+ I rated tonight's broadcast a 6 out of 10 in the episode guide. It was not the most gay-mazing show, though there were little spurts of brilliance. All five featured players not only had a reasonable amount of screen time, but they also carried a few sketches. Better yet, Jay had a prominent part that didn't require him to do an impression, and Vanessa proved that she had some range. ScarJo was diligent in her first two outings, but tonight she exuded a level of confidence and swagger onstage that I hadn't noticed before. The writing was weak more often than not, but it felt like Johansson willed the cast to transcend that mediocrity.

+ Now that Vh1 is airing SNL repeats, it's high time that I bring back my predictions as to which sketches and segments will not live to see the 60-minute edit. If it were up to me, I would probably wipe out the Obama/Hu cold open, the Frank and Gladys Madden WU commentary, and most of the third half-hour. Prove me wrong, Comcast, prove me wrong.

JustinRAn

[33]Nov 15, 2010
    My Thoughts!!

- What was the Point of the Cold Opening? I know that Obama was In China but it Probably would've worked better if FOX News Had Reviewed it (Ex. Taylor Swift Episode)

- The Monologue was OK but not That Memorable

- MTV Pregnant Shows; Thank you to someone for mocking this Genre

- Millionaire Matchmaker; Haven't seen the show but did get some Chuckles (Especially ScarJo's Responses)

- What can I say about the "Manuel Ortiz Show" that everyone else doesn't think already.

- Unstoppable; Haven't Seen the Movie but the References to a Building was Hillarious

- Hollywood Dish; I LOVED the Park when Bill Spit in Kristen's Face.

- Weekend Update; 1/2 the Punchlines didn't work to the Audience, Kayne and Bush were Hillarious.

- Marvin's Knee; Making a joke about a Guy in a Wheelchair? That's Funny Right?

- Digital Short; No "Flags of the World" but better than any ******* Sky Ronnie Digital Shorts

- Paula Deen; What was the Point of the Sketch? Why wasn't ScarJo in this Sketch?

- Stars of Tomorrow; LOVED IT!!!!

- Mike's Busteria; Did you get the Feeling that ScarJo didn't want to do this sketch?

Didn't they just get a Week Off?

Liked
    - Monologue
    - MTV
    - Millionaire Matchmaker
    - Unstoppable
    - Weekend Update (Bush & Kayne)
    - Stars of Tomorrow

BaronOne

[34]Nov 15, 2010

HelloStuart wrote:

ScarJo was diligent in her first two outings, but tonight she exuded a level of confidence and swagger onstage that I hadn't noticed before. The writing was weak more often than not, but it felt like Johansson willed the cast to transcend that mediocrity.

I noticed that Scarlett did a lot better this time too! Do you think it had anything to do with her being on-stage and being nominated for a Tony recently? That might've given her a bit more confidence in a live setting...

Also... even the AV Club liked the episode!

Edited on 11/15/2010 1:33pm

JustinRAn

[35]Nov 4, 2011
    VH1 60 Minute:

- Cold Open (Sorry Stu, You can't expect a recent VH1 repeat to skip the cold open)
    - Monologue
    - MTV
    - Millionaire Matchmaker
    - Unstoppable
    - Hollywood Dish (The Slurpee thing was funnier than Bridesmaids)
    - Weekend Update (Madden's Cut, They made it up for you Stu)
    - Arcade Fire: We Used to Wait (With their tribute to U2's elevation, Google that joke if you don't get it)
    - Stars of Tomorrow
    - Ceramic Busts

I can't believe it. An SNL 60 Minute repeat that didn't have a Digital Short.

For the first time in recent memory, A VH1 repeat that had all sketches I liked.

HelloStuart

[36]Nov 5, 2011
    JustinRAn wrote:
    VH1 60 Minute:

- Cold Open (Sorry Stu, You can't expect a recent VH1 repeat to skip the cold open)
    - Monologue
    - MTV
    - Millionaire Matchmaker
    - Unstoppable
    - Hollywood Dish (The Slurpee thing was funnier than Bridesmaids)
    - Weekend Update (Madden's Cut, They made it up for you Stu)
    - Arcade Fire: We Used to Wait (With their tribute to U2's elevation, Google that joke if you don't get it)
    - Stars of Tomorrow
    - Ceramic Busts

I can't believe it. An SNL 60 Minute repeat that didn't have a Digital Short.

For the first time in recent memory, A VH1 repeat that had all sketches I liked.

Eh, it's all relative.