Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Seth MacFarlane/Frank Ocean (9/15/12)

Ruckhappy

[67]Sep 19, 2012
    • level: 8

Pulch23 wrote:
    Listen to this podcast of Watkins describing her audition process. She mentions how after her showcase how she shared a cab with Higgins.

Actually, she mentioned an interesting detail: they make you sign the initial contract before the final audition. Which means that way more people have seen the terms of those contracts that I would have assumed. Yet almost none of the details have been divulged, other than length.

Also, nice to hear that she can still recall how happy she was to get on SNL, but sad in light of her being let go after just one season.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

HelloStuart

[68]Sep 19, 2012
    • level: 63
    Pulch23 wrote:

Ruckhappy wrote:

I know what Higgins does on both shows. That's my point. Just taping Jimmy's show must take 2-2.5 hours a day. Then there's all the production work for Late Night. Do you really think he has the time to come upstairs for the epically-long Wednesday table reads, for example? That's why I don't count him as a full-time writer for SNL right now, even though he's in the credits.

Ruck it's like how Lorne is still credited as a writer even though he does not actually write any sketches. Higgins, as HelloStuart previously mentioned;
    HelloStuart wrote:

He's beyond a mere scribe--

He has a large voice in the writing process and which sketches are picked to get in the show. Hell, he even goes out scouting for newbies. Listen to this podcast of Watkins describing her audition process. She mentions how after her showcase how she shared a cab with Higgins. In short, he finds the time.

Most late night talk shows are almost live-to-tape, gaffes and all. I assume the average taping lasts about 90 minutes.

drudager

[69]Sep 20, 2012
    • level: 13
    thecomedianky wrote:
    "Don't quote Family Guy, We're 30." HAHA!

That's ironic because Seth makes all these 1970s & 1980s pop culture references that only people over 30 would ever get.

That sketch went on about 2 minutes too long.

avmon

[70]Oct 29, 2012
    • level: 16

Finally watched this rerun on DVR. Liked the debut of Jay's Obama. Seth did pretty good with his voices and imprseesions, with Kermit the Frog especially impressive. Hader cracked me up with both that weird puppet and his Clint Eastwood talking with the chair. The "Gangham Style" sketch is sublime especially after watching it performed by the pros and celebs for their own version on "Dancing with the Stars" last Monday. Oh, and what was with Frank Ocean playing video games in the last part of his second set? Overall, a very funny season premiere. That's all I'll comment on...

Edited on 10/29/2012 9:59am

JustinRAn

[71]Oct 30, 2012
    • level: 12
    Personally, I want to see that Puppet dude a few more times.