Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Seth Rogen/ Ed Sheeran (4/12/14)

Royce7815

[1]Mar 19, 2014
    • level: 4

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2014/03/19/louis-ck-anna-kendrick-seth-rogen-to-host-saturday-night-live/6617269/

The day after my birthday, too; I should be so lucky to be chosen for tickets.

Edited on 03/19/2014 6:09pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

JM5000

[2]Mar 19, 2014
    • level: 7

Rogen has been overdue for his third appearance for a while now...Good to see him coming back...

Question: What is Ed Sheeran promoting? His last album was several years ago, so was his last EP...His latest work is that song for the Hobbit movie, and before that some featured songs...I just don't get why they're even bothering having him on...Can anyone fill me in?

HelloStuart

[3]Mar 19, 2014
    • level: 63
    I have no complaints about Seth hosting again. The first two stints were middling, but it wasn't entirely his fault.

HelloStuart

[4]Mar 21, 2014
    • level: 63
    Now for your next challenge, name or sing an Ed Sheeran song. Honestly, I've been hearing about this guy for two or three years now and I can't say he's distinguishable from anything else on adult contemporary radio.

JM5000

[5]Mar 22, 2014

Doing a little research, he apparently has a new album coming out, but it's hard to be sure when...

I'll admit that I like his Hobbit song, "I See Fire"...I haven't heard any his other songs, but I'll take your word for it that it's all bland adult contemporary garbage...

avmon

[6]Mar 22, 2014
    • level: 16
    JM5000 wrote:

Doing a little research, he apparently has a new album coming out, but it's hard to be sure when...

I'll admit that I like his Hobbit song, "I See Fire"...I haven't heard any his other songs, but I'll take your word for it that it's all bland adult contemporary garbage...

Oh, I don't mind Adult Contemorary or "Easy Listening" when I was growing up on the show now and then. For instance, I liked it when Billy Joel performed "Just the Way You Are" and Lionel Ritchie did "Truly" on it...

JM5000

[7]Mar 22, 2014

avmon wrote:
    JM5000 wrote:

Oh, I don't mind Adult Contemorary or "Easy Listening" when I was growing up on the show now and then. For instance, I liked it when Billy Joel performed "Just the Way You Are" and Lionel Ritchie did "Truly" on it...

Oh, no, I'm not saying ALL adult contemporary is bad...Both Joel and Ritchie can be enjoyable to listen to when they're not turning out songs that sound like half their other hits (at least Joel is infamous for that...) There are just some artists in this category who just write generic fluff on a regular basis...Music like this is probably the main reason alternative bands in the early 90s were such a game changer...

That said, I can understand that SNL wants to give this recent breakout in the U.K. a shot on the stage...

Hennes81

[8]Mar 23, 2014
    • level: 5

Good pick in my opinion. He will never be a megastar in any way but since he got his second hit with I see fire (the first one was "The A-Team"), there is a good chance he will stick around for a few more years.

I also think it's a nice variety to have some of those "more quiet" singers (like Bon Iver or others) instead of just having alternating rock and pop acts.

Also Seth is a safe and not a spectacular pick, but I think he deserves this chance.

JM5000

[9]Mar 23, 2014

Hennes81 wrote:

I also think it's a nice variety to have some of those "more quiet" singers (like Bon Iver or others) instead of just having alternating rock and pop acts.

I think my issue with a lot of bands on the show lately is that there are too many of those quiet, subtle types...I've been hoping all season for a metal band, or at least a hard rock band...But I gotta feeling that it's just not gonna happen this season...They'll probably just book their usual favorites (Shakira, Coldplay, U2) and then that will be it...

JM5000

[10]Apr 12, 2014

Episode Predictions:

Monologue: I honestly can't think of anything...

Sketches: Perhaps another appearance of Rogen's Rowlf impression, and maybe some other Muppets...Also, I can kind of picture him playing another straight man authority figure trying to teach Shallon and those other stupid kids the dangers of drugs and alcohol...

First Musical Performance: "Sing"

Second Musical Performance: In an ideal world, "I See Fire", but it could just as likely be some other random song...He premiered "Tenerife" a few months ago at a concert, so that would be my second guess...

danharr

[11]Apr 12, 2014
    • level: 45

New hip GOP was wack monologue was so so had a few moments but I think this will be the stinker of the 3 new eps in a row.

Royce7815

[12]Apr 12, 2014

called it again JM

danharr

[13]Apr 12, 2014

Shalin was fun as usual and CNN pregnancy was executed weakly.

danharr

[14]Apr 12, 2014

Broke arms lady grabbed my buy in by the fart or maybe it's the Ezra Brooks talking... Monster who turned into James Franco was funny in that James Franco turned up again. Dogfood company feel into that crazy it was funny category.

Royce7815

[15]Apr 12, 2014

Hey look at that, Jacob finally warmed up enough to blatantly igonre Cecily during one of his readings

danharr

[16]Apr 12, 2014

Cousin Stacy was mildly amusing Al Sharpton was weak.

danharr

[17]Apr 12, 2014

Passover 420 was meh.

Royce7815

[18]Apr 12, 2014

Last sketch i have to say was the best.

Hennes81

[19]Apr 13, 2014
    • level: 5

The episode was a mixed bag to me. Maybe not as good as Louis C.K. or Anna Kendrick but good enough to keep me entertained.

Some sketches were dull and predictable (Coachella Cold Opening, Undercover Sharpton, 420) with Birthday Party being the worst of them.

I really liked Shallan (as always), Monster Pals, Herman & Sons and the monologue (but as usual I'm happy when cameos enter the stage). CNN Pregnancy Test, Blue River Dog Food, Update and Cousine Stacy were enjoyable at least.

Seth was okay as a host but they should stop just writing drug related sketches for him. Personally I would take him over Jonah Hill or James Franco at any time.

JM5000

[20]Apr 13, 2014

I dunno...It wasn't great, but I laughed enough times tonight...I'm pretty amazed that I was able to call the Shallon sketch so perfectly (aside from the fact that alcohol wasn't involved...But close enough, especially since hearing them talk about crack so much was pretty funny...) I think my favorite sketches were the two commercial parodies, the one with the dogfood and the one with the sperm yoghurt...Rogen himself probably wrote both of those sketches...

These last few weeks have been interesting in terms of musical guests...Sam Smith had the voice, but lacked in stage presence...Pharrell was the opposite, excelling in stage presence but lacking in voice...Ed Sheeran, however, excelled in both fields...While calling him the best musical guest so far this season is definitely a stretch (especially against the likes of Arcade Fire, Janelle Monae, Justin Timberlake and Imagine Dragons), he definitely did his job...I would have loved it if the second song was a big enough foil to the dance beat of the first, something quiet and emotional like "I See Fire", but you just learn to appreciate what you get...

I will wait until the end of the season before I decide where this show falls in the ranking...