Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Sigourney Weaver/The Ting Tings (1/16/10)

HelloStuart

[21]Jan 16, 2010
    • level: 63
    pillowpc2001 wrote:
    So one of the only non-recurring skits of the night was stolen from Casey Wilson...

How do you figure?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

HelloStuart

[22]Jan 16, 2010

My thoughts:

+ I should've bet the farm that tonight's cold opening would have something to do with the Leno/Conan mess. The same tired details that you've been hearing all week were augmented by some tepid "look at me, I'm geriatric" one-liners from Larry King (FA) and a one-dimensional Letterman impression from Suds. On the other hand, the cast and crew seem to all be on Team Coco, and that's alright by me.

+ Is Darrell really moving on with his life, or does he circle the building until a writer throws him a bone?

+ If I hadn't already mentioned it: the last time Sigourney hosted, Abby Elliott wasn't born yet. And judging from that pic from 1986, Lenny Pickett still had that freaky beard.

+ Maybe I'm getting soft in my old age, but the prospect of yet another "Laser Cats" sequel made me squeal like a little girl. Throwing James Cameron into the mix, plus Sig reprising Ellen Ripley, plus Lorne's tepid reaction to Bill and Andy's on-the-cheap side project was awesome on top of more awesome.

+ When I first saw Sig and Wiigy playing Amber & Cream, I thought they were supposed to be a mother-daughter act. That was not a flattering get-up.

+ What was the deal with The Ting Tings? The only musical instrument onstage for their first song was a drum set. For a show that encourages live musical performance in every sense of the word -after all, SNL ended the singing career of Ashlee Simpson with one fell swoop- would it be uncouth to assume the bass and synthesizers you heard were from the original studio tapes?

+ Seth Meyers just plain killed on Update tonight. His comparing the Tonight Show mess to the world's best marriage was original, clever, and oddly refreshing. The two guest commentaries (Andy as a goose, Abby as Meryl Streep) weren't awful, though far from memorable.

+ In spite of tonight's Digital Short, most of the live sketches continued a recent pattern of reheating lackadaisical ideas and throwing jumper cables on anything that looked even remotely fresh. If "Disco Booty Junction" and "Riley" become recurring bits, whatever remaining hope we all have for Year 35 is completely out the window. Sigourney overreached in some of the roles she played, and at times watching a 60-year-old woman attempt to play 30 was wince-inducing, though overall she was a good sport.

+ Sometimes I feel like all these 4, 5 and 6 reviews are a tad too generous, but generally when SNL is this uneven it comes down to whether there were more elements to the show that I liked or disliked, or perhaps those factors cancelled each other out. I give Weaver/Tings a reluctant 6 if only because I enjoyed tonight's show a slight margin more than Barkley/Keys.

+ Contrary to early reports, there is no live show on the 23rd. Enjoy your week off!

JustinRAn

[23]Jan 16, 2010
    • level: 12
    ^ What was your thoughts on Grady Wilson, The Summers Eve Darts Contest, and Fred Saying "The Word" (Can I Say it on here?) sketches?

When I See really Bad SNL Episodes, It makes me wonder "What wasn't good enough to make it?"

avmon

[24]Jan 16, 2010
    • level: 16
    The Summer's Eve Darts sketch was perhaps the lamest of the show though hearing Forte saying "Never throw a dart near a vagina was good for a chuckle. Oh, and the Avatar sketch with Hader doing those sexual moves was the best one.
    Edited on 01/16/2010 11:26pm

avmon

[25]Jan 16, 2010
    • level: 16
    Oh, and I anticipated a cold open on the Leno/Conan skirmish too as well as one on Weekend Update. Seth was really clever on the marriage comparision.

Woodstein

[26]Jan 16, 2010
    • level: 14
    I didn't catch anything before Laser Cats, but I was mildly underwhelmed. This season has come to remind me of the 2006-07 season. Both followed strong seasons, let go a long-running cast member (Hammond vs Sanz) and a couple short-lived ones (Finesse vs. Watkins), and both had a disappointing inconsistency and shortage of inspiration to them. The only thing this season has going for it is that there hasn't been a downright bad show yet; even the weakest episodes had one or two solid bits.

JustinRAn

[27]Jan 16, 2010
    ^ I Guess you missed the January Jones Episode.

pillowpc2001

[28]Jan 17, 2010
    • level: 5
    HelloStuart wrote:
    pillowpc2001 wrote:
    So one of the only non-recurring skits of the night was stolen from Casey Wilson...

How do you figure?

Casey Wilson has a Funny or Die video of her reading Internet comments about her...

trishuhhh

[29]Jan 17, 2010
    • level: 13
    avmon wrote:
    Oh, and I anticipated a cold open on the Leno/Conan skirmish too as well as one on Weekend Update. Seth was really clever on the marriage comparision.

i looooved the quote "this week you didn't have to watch Cinemax to watch someone get screwed on tv"

TheDiamondDog

[30]Jan 17, 2010
    • level: 61

avmon wrote:
    The Summer's Eve Darts sketch was perhaps the lamest of the show

I am tired of that skit. It isn't even funny. It really is the same joke each time.

I hope Riley doesn't become recurring.

JustinRAn

[31]Jan 17, 2010
    I Want An Opinion from the Woman on here (No Offense if some of you have already responded, I'm New Here.)

Are the Tampax/Vagasil/Summers Eve Jokes Funny to Woman?

HelloStuart

[32]Jan 17, 2010
    JustinRAn wrote:
    I Want An Opinion from the Woman on here (No Offense if some of you have already responded, I'm New Here.)

Are the Tampax/Vagasil/Summers Eve Jokes Funny to Woman?

See post #30. Mel (TheDiamondDog) and Tiana (RealityFan) are really the only female regulars here.

HelloStuart

[33]Jan 17, 2010
    JustinRAn wrote:
    ^ What was your thoughts on Grady Wilson, The Summers Eve Darts Contest, and Fred saying "The Word" (Can I say it on here?) sketches?

When I See really Bad SNL Episodes, It makes me wonder "What wasn't good enough to make it?"

You see one Grady Wilson tape, you've seen them all. They're clearly more fun to make than to watch.

Somebody in the writers' room clearly loves watching ESPN Classic at 2pm on a Tuesday afternoon. It's a pretty blunt parody of the incredibly random sports that ESPN did in fact air through the early '90s, right down to the third-tier announcers forcing themselves to stay interested. Alas, if it weren't for the cooter jokes, this dead-on lampoon would be completely lost on people.

Like several other people in the forum, I also hope that "Riley" doesn't become a recurring sketch. He's Harvey Fierstein trapped in the body of a preteen. Who in the heck devised this?

JustinRAn

[34]Jan 17, 2010
    Actually Anytime Fred Armisen, Will Forte, or Kristen Wiig star in a Sketch as a Main Character; I Fear that they will be Recurring. Can SNL Throw a Bone to the New Featured Players.

Seth you said you where unhappy when you starred in 1 sketch every 3 weeks, Even though that never Happened; How would that Feel?

Vesper-Lynd

[35]Jan 18, 2010
    • level: 18

TheDiamondDog wrote:

avmon wrote:
    The Summer's Eve Darts sketch was perhaps the lamest of the show

I am tired of that skit. It isn't even funny. It really is the same joke each time.

I hope Riley doesn't become recurring.

Agreed. Riley was just really, really grating and not even in a funny way.

The best part of the episode is DEFINITELY Seth going "If Jay can take his job back from Conan, that means Conan can take it back from Jimmy and Jimmy can come back here and I cannot go back to being in a skit every three weeks!" Great delivery at that.

TheDiamondDog

[36]Jan 18, 2010
    • level: 61

JustinRAn wrote:
    I Want An Opinion from the Woman on here (No Offense if some of you have already responded, I'm New Here.) Are the Tampax/Vagasil/Summers Eve Jokes Funny to Woman?

No. Not at all. And my mom hates the skit too.

I'm actually very tired of the skit.

JustinRAn

[37]Jan 21, 2010
    I Hate to make all of you want to Boycott the Show, but Riley will most likely be Recurring. They made a Theme Song. They also did it for "Gilly"

Hennes81

[38]Jan 22, 2010
    • level: 5

JustinRAn wrote:
    I Hate to make all of you want to Boycott the Show, but Riley will most likely be Recurring. They made a Theme Song. They also did it for "Gilly"

The Needlers got a new theme every time they were on and there were other skits also which didn't aired a second time. But this season I would also bet they will bring every character as much as possible because of a lack of fresh ideas.

HelloStuart

[39]Jan 22, 2010
    JustinRAn wrote:

So they made a theme song? They build whole sets for recurring characters that don't materialize.

HelloStuart

[40]Jan 22, 2010
    Hennes81 wrote:

The Needlers got a new theme every time they were on and there were other skits also which didn't aired a second time. But this season I would also bet they will bring every character as much as possible because of a lack of fresh ideas.

Technically, they only had two theme songs; one from when the characters were still called Sally and Don Harrison, the other when they were rechristened The Needlers.