Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Taylor Swift (11/7/09)

thefanof

[41]Nov 8, 2009
    • level: 102
    Dumb question alert here, but are Andy, Bill and Bobby supposed to be laughing at the end of the Scared Straight sketch every time they do it? I can't tell with the other two, but if Bobby is supposed to be he's the best actor in the world as the way he asks the question about what the two are doing while laughing is completely realistic.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

HelloStuart

[42]Nov 9, 2009
    • level: 63
    justinwestnet wrote:
    Ok episode, the bunny business sketch at the end was great! My only problem with SNL is that they never really seem to know how to end sketches...most of the time they just awkwardly/randomly end...

The most difficult part of writing a sketch is the ending. You have to build a certain level of momentum, then stop it at a certain point. It's not as easy as it looks.

BaronOne

[43]Dec 26, 2009
    • level: 15

thefanof wrote:
    Dumb question alert here, but are Andy, Bill and Bobby supposed to be laughing at the end of the Scared Straight sketch every time they do it? I can't tell with the other two, but if Bobby is supposed to be he's the best actor in the world as the way he asks the question about what the two are doing while laughing is completely realistic.

I think they are just really taken aback by Kenan's dedication to the character in these sketches. I can't blame them, I think most people would lose it. Bill Hader's breaking in the Shia/MMJ dress rehearsal was hilarious and probably that much cooler because I got to see it in person.

pillowpc2001

[44]Dec 26, 2009
    • level: 5
    The dress rehearsal version of Hollywood Dish made a lot more sense as to why Bill spit in Kristen's face... Wonder why they changed it...

HelloStuart

[45]Dec 27, 2009
    pillowpc2001 wrote:
    The dress rehearsal version of Hollywood Dish made a lot more sense as to why Bill spit in Kristen's face... Wonder why they changed it...

Sketches are replaced with dress rehearsal versions all the time. Odds are, the producers weren't happy with what went live.

pillowpc2001

[46]Dec 27, 2009
    • level: 5
    HelloStuart wrote:
    pillowpc2001 wrote:

Sketches are replaced with dress rehearsal versions all the time. Odds are, the producers weren't happy with what went live.

Sorry, I meant I wonder why they changed the script for the "original" live version, when the dress rehearsal version seemed to make more sense.

HelloStuart

[47]Dec 28, 2009
    pillowpc2001 wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    pillowpc2001 wrote:

Sorry, I meant I wonder why they changed the script for the "original" live version, when the dress rehearsal version seemed to make more sense.

Another common occurance. The producers probably felt (at the time) that the sketch ran long, so they forced the writer of the sketch to trim it down at the 11th hour.

JustinRAn

[48]Dec 29, 2009
    • level: 12
    I loved this Episode. Her Hosting just made the cast want to do better. Kristen usually annoys me but she was actually funny in the Cold Opening. I hope she can do this Impression Again.

HelloStuart

[49]Dec 30, 2009
    JustinRAn wrote:
    I loved this Episode. Her Hosting just made the cast want to do better. Kristen usually annoys me but she was actually funny in the Cold Opening. I hope she can do this Impression Again.

Impression?

JustinRAn

[50]Jan 1, 2010
    • level: 12
    Greta Van Susteren. Sorry.