Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Tina Fey/Ellie Goulding (5/7/11)

warqueen

[41]May 8, 2011
    • level: 5

Here is the Entertainment Weekly review of the episode. Although the article gives a glowing praise of this episode, READ ALL the extensive and large number of remarks in thecomment section. 3 out of 4 found it the worst episode of what they consider alousy season. What gives???

http://watching-tv.ew.com/2011/05/08/saturday-night-live-review-tina-fey-ellie-goulding/

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

HelloStuart

[42]May 8, 2011
    • level: 63

warqueen wrote:

Here is the Entertainment Weekly review of the episode. Although the article gives a glowing praise of this episode, READ ALL the extensive and large number of remarks in thecomment section. 3 out of 4 found it the worst episode of what they consider alousy season. What gives???

Don't worry, they're just trolls. I wouldn't lose sleepabout it if I were you.

I was away most of this weekend, so I'll post my comments in the morning.

Edited on 05/09/2011 10:13am

BaronOne

[43]May 9, 2011
    • level: 15

My thoughts

TheDiamondDog

[44]May 9, 2011
    • level: 61

I thought it was a very good episode. Presently, I don't remember, but I blame that on illness. But I did laugh a lot.

HelloStuart

[45]May 9, 2011
    My thoughts:

+ The successful manhunt of Osama bin Laden was all that anyone was talking about this week, so it seemed natural that the discussion, debates, and conspiracy theories would pour over into tonight's show. The cold open, with Army as bin Laden and Jim Downey as the dry C-SPAN translator, alternated between cute, adroit, and obvious. The "Little Mermaid" sketch, on the other hand was a pithy approximation of how the world was reacting to Osama's death this past week. My only complaint was the lack of a real ending.
    + Is tonight a Year 31 reunion? First Tina introduces Maya Rudolph for a duet, and then in the "GOP 2012 Debate" sketch Darrell Hammond resurfaces to reprise his Trump impression. I've finally grown accustomed to not seeing DH every week, though after all his Year 35 cameos I'm still surprised that is the first time we've seen him all year. His imitation of The Donald is still on the money, though Fey has grown tired of playing Sarah Palin and it showed. The debate sketch in itself felt overstocked and aimless until maybe halfway through.
    + Speaking of throwing everything but the kitchen sink, tonight's Digital Short also felt overindulgent, but in a good way. I know Michael Bolton jokes aren't exactly cutting-edge, but he seemed to be a good sport and his notoriety as an over-the-top balladeer was perfect for the occasion. All hail "Captain Jack Sparrow!"
    + Tonight's Update may not have been the best of the season, though it was certainly a lot of fun and the 8H audience gobbled it right up. Jason's Devil has become a surprisingly campy, pleasurable recurring character to watch, and no matter what Stefon does his aura of hipster weirdness hits the right notes. The commentary by two childhood friends of Ghadafi (FA, VB) wasn't spectacular in any way, nor was it awful, though the situation in Libya feels like old news at the moment.
    + The "Woman Whole" sketch will go down as a season highlight. The moment the Lamaze class shifted to what seemed like an unassuming, hippy-dippy videotape of a '70s couple preparing for childbirth -or so it seemed- I couldn't stop laughing. Plus, this might've been a historical sketch, too: the first appearance of pubic hair (albeit obviously fake) on SNL.
    + Elliott Watch: for the remainder of the season, I'm putting a specific focus on Abby, the well-pedigreed repertory player who has no real recurring characters or memorable impressions* three years into her stint on the show, and has done very little of note in that time. Considering that Nasim and Vanessa are garnering more screen time than Bob Elliott's granddaughter, either a) something's not working or b) she's a beneficiary of comedic nepotism. At her current rate, I sincerely doubt she'll be back for Year 37. Tonight, I'll give Abby a sliver of credit: she deftly imitated lisping fashionista Rosie Pope in "Pregnant in Heels," but had exactly one line in three other sketches.
    + What should I make of Ellie Goulding? Well, her first song confirmed the Kate Bush and Bjork comparisons; her voice is offbeat though far from distinct, and the new wave-ish musical accompaniment fit her like a glove. Her second performance, however was little more than a lilting cover of an old Elton John song.
    + In conclusion, this was another above-average episode in an equally above-average season. Most of my favorite sketches aired after Update, though the first half of the show was fine in its own right. Though Tina made a tremendous effort, and her democratic approach to hosting was very noble, at times it seemed like Maya was the real host of the episode. Considering that they both appeared in last year's Mother's Day show as well as this year's, and both shows had a pregnancy motif, I'm starting to wonder if some odd new tradition is brewing. *Okay, I'll give her credit for Rachel Maddow, but still...

BaronOne

[46]May 9, 2011
    • level: 15

HelloStuart wrote:
    My thoughts: + The successful manhunt of Osama bin Laden was all that anyone was talking about this week, so it seemed natural that the discussion, debates, and conspiracy theories would pour over into tonight's show. The cold open, with Army as bin Laden and Jim Downey as the dry C-SPAN translator, alternated between cute, adroit, and obvious. The "Little Mermaid" sketch, on the other hand was a pithy approximation of how the world was reacting to Osama's death this past week. My only complaint was the lack of a real ending. + Is tonight a Year 31 reunion? First Tina introduces Maya Rudolph for a duet, and then in the "GOP 2012 Debate" sketch Darrell Hammond resurfaces to reprise his Trump impression. I've finally grown accustomed to not seeing DH every week, though after all his Year 35 cameos I'm still surprised that is the first time we've seen him all year. His imitation of The Donald is still on the money, though Fey has grown tired of playing Sarah Palin and it showed. The debate sketch in itself felt overstocked and aimless until maybe halfway through. + Speaking of throwing everything but the kitchen sink, tonight's Digital Short also felt overindulgent, but in a good way. I know Michael Bolton jokes aren't exactly cutting-edge, but he seemed to be a good sport and his notoriety as an over-the-top balladeer was perfect for the occasion. All hail "Captain Jack Sparrow!" + Tonight's Update may not have been the best of the season, though it was certainly a lot of fun and the 8H audience gobbled it right up. Jason's Devil has become a surprisingly campy, pleasurable recurring character to watch, and no matter what Stefon does his aura of hipster weirdness hits the right notes. The commentary by two childhood friends of Ghadafi (FA, VB) wasn't spectacular in any way, nor was it awful, though the situation in Libya feels like old news at the moment. + The "Woman Whole" sketch will go down as a season highlight. The moment the Lamaze class shifted to what seemed like an unassuming, hippy-dippy videotape of a '70s couple preparing for childbirth -or so it seemed- I couldn't stop laughing. Plus, this might've been a historical sketch, too: the first appearance of pubic hair (albeit obviously fake) on SNL. + Elliott Watch: for the remainder of the season, I'm putting a specific focus on Abby, the well-pedigreed repertory player who has no real recurring characters or memorable impressions* three years into her stint on the show, and has done very little of note in that time. Considering that Nasim and Vanessa are garnering more screen time than Bob Elliott's granddaughter, either a) something's not working or b) she's a beneficiary of comedic nepotism. At her current rate, I sincerely doubt she'll be back for Year 37. Tonight, I'll give Abby a sliver of credit: she deftly imitated lisping fashionista Rosie Pope in "Pregnant in Heels," but had exactly one line in three other sketches. + What should I make of Ellie Goulding? Well, her first song confirmed the Kate Bush and Bjork comparisons; her voice is offbeat though far from distinct, and the new wave-ish musical accompaniment fit her like a glove. Her second performance, however was little more than a lilting cover of an old Elton John song. + In conclusion, this was another above-average episode in an equally above-average season. Most of my favorite sketches aired after Update, though the first half of the show was fine in its own right. Though Tina made a tremendous effort, and her democratic approach to hosting was very noble, at times it seemed like Maya was the real host of the episode. Considering that they both appeared in last year's Mother's Day show as well as this year's, and both shows had a pregnancy motif, I'm starting to wonder if some odd new tradition is brewing. *Okay, I'll give her credit for Rachel Maddow, but still...

What was your rating?

Oh, not the first appearance of fake pubic hair though... remember Chris Kattan in the "How Do You Say? Ah Yes, Show"... specifically the one in Drew Barrymore/Garbage?

TheDiamondDog

[47]May 10, 2011

^ In the faux commercial for Bosley (is it?) Hair Transplants, technically it playsa part in that as well. Though on the head.

HelloStuart

[48]May 10, 2011
    Oof, forgot about that.

I gave the episode a 7.5 in the guide.

warqueen

[50]May 14, 2011
    • level: 5

BaronOne wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    My thoughts: + The successful manhunt of Osama bin Laden was all that anyone was talking about this week, so it seemed natural that the discussion, debates, and conspiracy theories would pour over into tonight's show. The cold open, with Army as bin Laden and Jim Downey as the dry C-SPAN translator, alternated between cute, adroit, and obvious. The "Little Mermaid" sketch, on the other hand was a pithy approximation of how the world was reacting to Osama's death this past week. My only complaint was the lack of a real ending. + Is tonight a Year 31 reunion? First Tina introduces Maya Rudolph for a duet, and then in the "GOP 2012 Debate" sketch Darrell Hammond resurfaces to reprise his Trump impression. I've finally grown accustomed to not seeing DH every week, though after all his Year 35 cameos I'm still surprised that is the first time we've seen him all year. His imitation of The Donald is still on the money, though Fey has grown tired of playing Sarah Palin and it showed. The debate sketch in itself felt overstocked and aimless until maybe halfway through. + Speaking of throwing everything but the kitchen sink, tonight's Digital Short also felt overindulgent, but in a good way. I know Michael Bolton jokes aren't exactly cutting-edge, but he seemed to be a good sport and his notoriety as an over-the-top balladeer was perfect for the occasion. All hail "Captain Jack Sparrow!" + Tonight's Update may not have been the best of the season, though it was certainly a lot of fun and the 8H audience gobbled it right up. Jason's Devil has become a surprisingly campy, pleasurable recurring character to watch, and no matter what Stefon does his aura of hipster weirdness hits the right notes. The commentary by two childhood friends of Ghadafi (FA, VB) wasn't spectacular in any way, nor was it awful, though the situation in Libya feels like old news at the moment. + The "Woman Whole" sketch will go down as a season highlight. The moment the Lamaze class shifted to what seemed like an unassuming, hippy-dippy videotape of a '70s couple preparing for childbirth -or so it seemed- I couldn't stop laughing. Plus, this might've been a historical sketch, too: the first appearance of pubic hair (albeit obviously fake) on SNL. + Elliott Watch: for the remainder of the season, I'm putting a specific focus on Abby, the well-pedigreed repertory player who has no real recurring characters or memorable impressions* three years into her stint on the show, and has done very little of note in that time. Considering that Nasim and Vanessa are garnering more screen time than Bob Elliott's granddaughter, either a) something's not working or b) she's a beneficiary of comedic nepotism. At her current rate, I sincerely doubt she'll be back for Year 37. Tonight, I'll give Abby a sliver of credit: she deftly imitated lisping fashionista Rosie Pope in "Pregnant in Heels," but had exactly one line in three other sketches. + What should I make of Ellie Goulding? Well, her first song confirmed the Kate Bush and Bjork comparisons; her voice is offbeat though far from distinct, and the new wave-ish musical accompaniment fit her like a glove. Her second performance, however was little more than a lilting cover of an old Elton John song. + In conclusion, this was another above-average episode in an equally above-average season. Most of my favorite sketches aired after Update, though the first half of the show was fine in its own right. Though Tina made a tremendous effort, and her democratic approach to hosting was very noble, at times it seemed like Maya was the real host of the episode. Considering that they both appeared in last year's Mother's Day show as well as this year's, and both shows had a pregnancy motif, I'm starting to wonder if some odd new tradition is brewing. *Okay, I'll give her credit for Rachel Maddow, but still...

What was your rating?

Oh, not the first appearance of fake pubic hair though... remember Chris Kattan in the "How Do You Say? Ah Yes, Show"... specifically the one in Drew Barrymore/Garbage?

Also; remember Julia Louis-Dreyfus/Snow Patrol, Julia's opening monolouge the video of her getting out of a limo, her skirt pulls up slighly to reveal pubic hair growing down the side of her thighs to her knee area! But of all of these mentioned will never in my mind top the most revealing: The topless-fake breasts of Mike Myers in the last sketch of Tom Hanks/Bruce Springsteen in 1992. (Although when David Spade hosted he wore a tiny penis at the end of his nose, but it was so small no one noticed it and knew about it until it was reported in the entertainment news TV shows a few days later).

drudager

[51]Jul 9, 2011
    • level: 13
    So is anybody else watching this right now??

drudager

[52]Jul 9, 2011
    • level: 13
    lol the Apprentice stinks.

TheDiamondDog

[53]Jul 10, 2011

Didn't care to watch. The only reason I would have had was for the best song lyric of 2011 "This is the tale of Captain Jack Sparrow," and I already have it on my iPod. Plus, I've watched it a ton of times on TV.

HelloStuart

[54]Jul 12, 2011
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

Didn't care to watch. The only reason I would have had was for the best song lyric of 2011 "This is the tale of Captain Jack Sparrow," and I already have it on my iPod. Plus, I've watched it a ton of times on TV.

"My name is Erin Brockovich, and I'm a paralegal..."