Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Vince Vaughn/ Miguel (4/13/13)

TheDiamondDog

[42]Apr 15, 2013
    • level: 61

cross_mr wrote:
    Can't believe Alabama shakes is going to be musical guest again.. they did nothing for me last time around.

You mean the rerun next week? Cause that was the only time they were on.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

cross_mr

[43]Apr 16, 2013
    • level: 9
    Ah, I was only half looking at it, and saw alabama shakes listed again and was confused.. Didn't realize it's going to be a repeat.

BaronOne

[45]Apr 17, 2013
    • level: 15

You people are crazy. The John Tesh thing was the best sketch of the night.

mrjimmyjames

[46]Apr 17, 2013
    • level: 7

BaronOne wrote:

You people are crazy. The John Tesh thing was the best sketch of the night.

It mostly felt lazy to me. I crack up at the mere mention of John Tesh. I sort of feel that they did too and felt that the sketch would survive on that one joke alone.

JustinRAn

[47]Apr 17, 2013
    • level: 12
    IMO, The show peaked with Stormy Skies.

During that sketch, All I could think of was the Home Improvements Episode where Al said "Mother, If something happens to me, You can have my John Tesh Albums."

Stu, Care to Review?

HelloStuart

[48]Apr 18, 2013
    • level: 63
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

danharr wrote:

John Tesh was weird I'm calling this one mediocre episode at best nothing special.

What I found so strange about that sketch was that NBC hasn't aired the NBA in like, ten years at least.

That's because the sketch took place in 1990.

HelloStuart

[49]Apr 18, 2013
    I apologize again for the wait this week; for reasons I cannot totally disclose, these last few days have been hectic and trying. With that said, my thoughts:

+ The ongoing gun control debate has not been an infinite well for satire, and tonight's cold open was a strong example of that. The usual overzealous applause at the start of the sketch could not disguise how far Jim Downey et al. went over the audience's head. It was like watching a political wonk blog brought to life. The random allusion to Jay-Z's trip to Cuba did nothing to bolster the affair.

+ I will agree with DanHarr insofar that even though Vince Vaughn may be only a moderately talented actor, he has a certain creepy charm about him. His audience interaction schtick in the monologue was simultaneously odd, uncomfortable, and entertaining. It was also (at least, until the "Donnelly's" sketch) his one true highlight of the night.

+ It feels like "Short Term Memory Loss Theater" existed for the sole purpose of making Bill crack up. The premise wasn't promising and the execution was devoid of any energy until Hader crowned.

+ Maybe Kate's foreign oddball commentaries have a certain samey quality, but it can be fun to watch her riff. Tonight's take on Marina Chapman --a British housewife allegedly raised by monkeys-- was no exception. Even though the premise was a tad thinner than the Russian meteor survivor, McKinnon provided a brief jolt of energy that tonight's show badly needed.

+ Speaking of which, the Chapman commentary included a reference to "Animal Practice," a deservedly forgotten sitcom that was cancelled six months ago. The writers couldn't think of any other monkey references?

+ Miguel loves Prince. By that, I mean he really, really loves Prince. Yes, you could hear a little late-period Marvin Gaye in "Adorn" but the little fella in purple is what gets Miguel off. The falsetto intro and guitar freakout of "How Many Drinks" were quite startling, though.

+ Speaking of Kate, "Donnelly's" earned her MVP honors for the night. That now-recurring sketch about the supernal barflies is not without its charms, and it gives McKinnon and whomever's hosting an opportunity to get weird and physical. Vince was more receptive to this than anything else he did this evening, the bottom piece of bread to what had been a nothing sandwich.

+ I seldom anticipate a live SNL in the month of April. It's late enough in the season to justify creative flame-out, and at the same time it's an opportunity to burn off weaker material before May sweeps. I didn't expect Vince Vaughn to ever host again, not that he was terrible 15 years ago but because his first stint was almost as nondescript as tonight's broadcast. Both of the filmed pieces were fine enough, and "The Tesh Brothers" was okay in that "I miss Will Forte" sort of way, but this was largely a random, baseborn dawdle of a show.

4.5/10

JustinRAn

[50]Apr 19, 2013
    • level: 12
    Would it be wrong to compare him to DeNiro when it comes to SNL Hosting? OK, Maybe he's easier to deal with.

Ruckhappy

[51]Apr 19, 2013

HelloStuart wrote:
    I seldom anticipate a live SNL in the month of April. It's late enough in the season to justify creative flame-out, and at the same time it's an opportunity to burn off weaker material before May sweeps.

I disagree. 8 shows over fourteen weeks, with only one clunker of a host--Bieber--among the eight? You can't write a good show every other week? With talented hosts like these and this cast practically writing half your material for you? With half a dozen guest writers bolstering the staff, you can't write more than 5-6 decent sketches over the course of eight shows? That's shameful. That's unforgivable. That's chump work.

The undeniable fact is that there is one person at whose feet the second-half meltdown of the writing must be laid: Seth Meyers. I can't believe that the guy has the brass to go out doing talk show appearances whilst his writing staff is boning up the show week after week. This isn't mindless slamming. I've been very specific in re. the technical failures of the writing of the show. But it's just...it's so shameful. Has the man no professional pride? I would be hunkered down in my office, sleeping on a cot, lashing on my staff with a cat o' nine tails to just write one damn good sketch each, each show. Screw taking over Jimmy's show. You can't write off a whole half-season of SNL just because Seth is finally getting his precious yakker slot and a lot of the senior writers are likely on their way out the door.

HelloStuart

[52]Apr 19, 2013
    Ruckhappy wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    I seldom anticipate a live SNL in the month of April. It's late enough in the season to justify creative flame-out, and at the same time it's an opportunity to burn off weaker material before May sweeps.

I disagree. 8 shows over fourteen weeks, with only one clunker of a host--Bieber--among the eight? You can't write a good show every other week? With talented hosts like these and this cast practically writing half your material for you? With half a dozen guest writers bolstering the staff, you can't write more than 5-6 decent sketches over the course of eight shows? That's shameful. That's unforgivable. That's chump work.

It is a fairly consistent pattern in SNL's history, though. One of these days I'll write a list of the ten greatest April shows. Nessen/Smith, Martin/Blues Brothers, and Baldwin/B-52s would be among those distinct exceptions.

Ruckhappy

[53]Apr 21, 2013

HelloStuart wrote:
    It is a fairly consistent pattern in SNL's history, though. One of these days I'll write a list of the ten greatest April shows. Nessen/Smith, Martin/Blues Brothers, and Baldwin/B-52s would be among those distinct exceptions.

When have they had a weak April for writing when they've had two head writers and two writing supervisors? That's a lot of managerial headcount overseeing what has turned out to be pretty thin product from the writing staff this spring. They've got more writers on staff than the Cubs have every day players on their roster...and they can't write a damn sketch three-fourths of the time!