Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Zach Galifianakis/Jessie J (3/12/11)

  • Avatar of BaronOne

    BaronOne

    [49]Mar 13, 2011
    • member since: 01/02/08
    • level: 15
    • rank: Ginsu Knife
    • posts: 818

    My thoughts

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Woodstein

    Woodstein

    [51]Mar 13, 2011
    • member since: 07/18/05
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 776
    Jay seemed like he was going to break out earlier in the season, but he seems to be getting fewer and less notable roles lately. I guess if Kenan leaves after this season his fortunes will change, though.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of BaronOne

    BaronOne

    [52]Mar 13, 2011
    • member since: 01/02/08
    • level: 15
    • rank: Ginsu Knife
    • posts: 818

    Keep in mind that these guys are still FEATURED players. It's normal for them to barely appear in an episode. However, there's no excuse anymore for Abby. With that in mind, she did appear a few times in last night's episodeand I was pleasantly surprised by that.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of TheDiamondDog

    TheDiamondDog

    [53]Mar 13, 2011
    • member since: 06/14/05
    • level: 61
    • rank: Gold Monkey
    • posts: 19,860

    Some skits were good. Some okay. Some sucked to me, like the dog skit. And the Titanic skit.


    I never saw Jessie J before, but she appears as if she is (or is trying to be) a cross between Lady Gaga and Katy Perry.


    Alright episode. I was a bit restless in it. After a while, I was ready for it to end. I believe that's how I felt about the majority of the eps this season. January was a good month, but that was the most impressive month for this season.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JustinRAn

    JustinRAn

    [54]Mar 13, 2011
    • member since: 12/30/09
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 1,262
    When we say his stand Up DVD was OK, We are talking about his "Live at the Purple Onion" DVD Right?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of whoaitsconner

    whoaitsconner

    [55]Mar 13, 2011
    • member since: 07/17/07
    • level: 21
    • rank: Snagglepuss
    • posts: 1,918
    Really good episode. Such a weird sense of humor, and I loved it.



    Jessie J was impressive. I love the use of live instruments, and she did very good. I loved her second song too. We'll never hear it on the radio, but it was good
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [56]Mar 13, 2011
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,110
    JustinRAn wrote:
    When we say his stand-up DVD was OK, we are talking about his "Live at the Purple Onion" DVD right?

    Yes. Boy, that disc was wonderful.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [57]Mar 13, 2011
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,110
    danharr wrote:

    The Talk since I hate it appreciated the parody but the kings of catchphrases didn't get that one.


    "The Original Kings of Catchphrase Comedy" was a jab at hack comedians like Larry the Cable Guy, Carlos Mencia, and Yakov Smirnoff that rely heavily on the same phrase, verbal sound, or punchline to generate an audience reaction.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [58]Mar 13, 2011
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,110

    My thoughts:


    + Because of a feed mix-up on the Chicago affiliate, I missed out on the first minute of the cold open and was forced to watch the whole sketch on Hulu. With that said, the sketch made a lot more sense when Greg Gumbel and Jim Nantz (KT, JS) explained that the NCAA-style brackets were for crazy newsmakers. The full sketch was funny, even though the Melissa Leo reference already feels dated. I will, however forgive the utilization of increasingly puppet-like ESPN mainstay Dick Vitale if only because nobody in the cast looks like Gus Johnson.


    + I typically skip over the monologue in my comments unless something out of the usual happens, which makes me obligated to address Zach's nine-minute tour-de-force. It was a monologue that toed the line between brilliance and catastrophe, an orgy of weirdness that would've either delighted his loyal fans or bewildered anyone that didn't know him and/or missed his first SNL stint last year. Put me on the "brilliant" side.


    + "The Talk" was not a great sketch, though it was a great idea carried out in a flawed manner. There is no distinguishable difference between "The View" and its overpopulated CBS rip-off, other than the sad lack of chemistry and banter between the hosts, but that bullet point was beaten to the ground. More than anything, it was a showcase of brand new celebrity impressions, which felt blinkered considering all the bland caricatures that already appear on "The Talk."


    + I'm 99% certain that this is the first time Seth has ever appeared in a pre-recorded sketch. I'm also 99% certain this was his first sketch appearance (excluding monologues) in four years. Oh, "Boston Powers"…


    + The conclusion to the umpteenth "Scared Straight" sketch: "Did this do anything for you guys?" "No." *everyone walks away*


    + Not to brag, but… I know Catholic Susie.


    + After a crackerjack first hour, the second hour was mostly forgettable. "Noodles" was two-thirds of a good, unusually macabre sketch, but the final part felt tacked on. "Celebrity Scoop" threw a zillion Canadian stereotypes into the air, tried to pass them off as jokes, and nothing landed. "Titanic Survivors" was tolerable but a tad rushed.


    + It's pretty rare to watch a musical guest on SNL sight unseen, myself included. I didn't have a chance to read up on Jessie J. prior to tonight's show, and even though I was vaguely aware of some R&B chops I had absolutely no idea to expect. As it turns out, she's an up-and-coming singer from UK, a vamping hybrid of Katy Perry's kittenish demeanor and Amy Winehouse's singing range. Her debut single "Price Tag" is already a top ten hit across the pond and the song just found radio play stateside. Heck, the song was even in a Sears commercial a mere 20 seconds after her American TV debut. Something tells me she's gonna stick around awhile.


    + Part of me has grown tired of giving 7 and 7.5 reviews every week, but it's not like SNL in its current state doesn't deserve such high marks. Where Zach was regulated to supporting roles his first time around, he was front and center in nearly every sketch he appeared in tonight. It was a zany, unpredictable show, fearless in nature and not afraid to fail. Zach was like the captain of a wayward ship, veering and venturing into increasingly testy waters with restrained abandon. My question is, can he top this when he hosts a third time?


    + Was there really a Mr. T sketch in the ten-to-one slot, or was Zach pranking us? I guess we'll find out soon enough.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of BaronOne

    BaronOne

    [59]Mar 13, 2011
    • member since: 01/02/08
    • level: 15
    • rank: Ginsu Knife
    • posts: 818

    HelloStuart wrote:


    It was a zany, unpredictable show, fearless in nature and not afraid to fail. Zach was like the captain of a wayward ship, veering and venturing into increasingly testy waters with restrained abandon. My question is, can he top this when he hosts a third time?



    I think Zach's captain's log said it best when it stated: "Iceberg up ahead. Think I'll blast through that sucker. But first, tequila shots!"

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JustinRAn

    JustinRAn

    [60]Mar 14, 2011
    • member since: 12/30/09
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 1,262
    Seth Appeared in the Following Digital Shorts: Natalie Portman's Rap, and Doppelgangers
    He was also in "The Hathaway Moustache Ride Company" if that Counts but that's a Commercial from the Shia LaBeouf/ Avril Lavigne Episode
    He also does Audio for the "Game Time with Randy & Greg"

    He was in Goodnight Saigon from the Will Ferrell/ Green Day
    He was in the Versace Super Bowl Party from the Drew Barrymore/ Lily Allen Episode
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Chipslinger

    Chipslinger

    [61]Mar 14, 2011
    • member since: 11/25/07
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 49

    The bartender from our local pub was quoting from the Scared Straight spoof on his Facebook page. That was a funny bit. They've done it in the past, but this time it was edgier, they really pushed it. Zach was funny. I was laughing out loud at his 'jokes' in the monologue. The head of our film club claimed to have the same underwear as Zach. The bit where he lip synched to the song from Annie was Andy Kaufmanesque. With the bartender and the head of the film club reacting, you have both ends of the comedy audience spectrum reacting favorably. I was writing song lyrics and really inspired so I kind of zoned out, but I thought it was a very good episode of SNL.


    Jessie J at first seemed like kind of a Katy Perry/Christina Aguilera thing, but without the pipes of Xtina. I liked the band because they had a great horn section and really got worked up. At first I did not care for her voice, but I liked the band sound overall. I don't like Katy Perry's voice or music, either. JJ looked great, but it was kind of distracting, and made me skeptical of her singing. JJ was like a funkier Katy Perry, but didn't really hear much melody in her song. The pink thing with the stripped socks was way Haute, or hot, rather. Was she trying too hard pushing the sexy look because she couldn't sing very well? JJ was like a slicker packaged Amy Winehouse. Amy Winehouse I thought had a really interesting voice, but oh, those issues. Winehouse had that rawness, but then she couldn't capitalize on her success because she kept screwing up. A bit worried about Xtina, what with her arrest, and I thought she ruled at the Grammies--who could touch her? But then she stumbled and fell.


    I have a favorable impression of the episode overall. What were the sketches? One that I thought was good was the one where Kristen Wiig was the mom trying to guilt trip the other mom for serving a drink with corn fructose at her daughter's birthday party. Scared straight, as I already said, was great.


    One thing I will put out there: My suggestion for host: Mike Tyson. He was in Hangover and will be in Hangover 2, too. I saw him on Jimmy Fallon, and Jimmy is so nice, he gets along with everybody, but I saw a different side of Mike. No ear biting. He also, I hear, is a different person around his pigeons. OK, I am NOT ready for Michael Vick hosting SNL, but Tyson has turned himself around, and deserves a chance.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Chipslinger

    Chipslinger

    [62]Mar 14, 2011
    • member since: 11/25/07
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 49

    Woodstein wrote:
    I felt it was an improvement over Zach's first hosting stint, and one of the stronger episodes of the season. This time, the show just let him be himself, while they just wrote him into the background in a lot of sketches last time. Even recurring bits like Scared Straight and rote TV show parodies like The Talk were turned on their heads a little. They definitely went all in with the weird stuff, and although not all of it worked, it was a nice change of pace for a season which has displayed a lack of willingness to take risks.


    Yeah, The Talk was pretty good. I think I hated The View when it came out, but now compared to The Talk it seems great. I have not seen The Talk but wanted to, thinking they had an interesting group of women, but if the parody is to be believed, the only reason it hasn't been canceled is because Julie Chen is sleeping with Moonves (OK, they are married, but still). Now I really want to see it before it does get canceled. Morbid curiousity. Is it as bad as it looks? A knock of and inferior to The View? Only on because Chen is married to the head of CBS? Does Sara Gilbert really hide in her sweater? Do they just talk about nothing?

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [63]Mar 14, 2011
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,110
    Chipslinger wrote:

    Woodstein wrote:
    I felt it was an improvement over Zach's first hosting stint, and one of the stronger episodes of the season. This time, the show just let him be himself, while they just wrote him into the background in a lot of sketches last time. Even recurring bits like Scared Straight and rote TV show parodies like The Talk were turned on their heads a little. They definitely went all in with the weird stuff, and although not all of it worked, it was a nice change of pace for a season which has displayed a lack of willingness to take risks.


    Yeah, The Talk was pretty good. I think I hated The View when it came out, but now compared to The Talk it seems great. I have not seen The Talk but wanted to, thinking they had an interesting group of women, but if the parody is to be believed, the only reason it hasn't been canceled is because Julie Chen is sleeping with Moonves (okay, they are married, but still). Now I really want to see it before it does get canceled. Morbid curiousity. Is it as bad as it looks? A knock of and inferior to The View? Only on because Chen is married to the head of CBS? Does Sara Gilbert really hide in her sweater? Do they just talk about nothing?


    I would say that was a fair parody of a largely unwatchable show. Whoever believes robots have yet to assimilate into society has yet to meet Julie Chen. Sara Gilbert, like many impressions, is intended to be exaggerated; she does look uncomfortable and out of place at times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of TheDiamondDog

    TheDiamondDog

    [64]Mar 14, 2011
    • member since: 06/14/05
    • level: 61
    • rank: Gold Monkey
    • posts: 19,860

    HelloStuart wrote:
    Chipslinger wrote:


    Woodstein wrote:
    I felt it was an improvement over Zach's first hosting stint, and one of the stronger episodes of the season. This time, the show just let him be himself, while they just wrote him into the background in a lot of sketches last time. Even recurring bits like Scared Straight and rote TV show parodies like The Talk were turned on their heads a little. They definitely went all in with the weird stuff, and although not all of it worked, it was a nice change of pace for a season which has displayed a lack of willingness to take risks.


    Yeah, The Talk was pretty good. I think I hated The View when it came out, but now compared to The Talk it seems great. I have not seen The Talk but wanted to, thinking they had an interesting group of women, but if the parody is to be believed, the only reason it hasn't been canceled is because Julie Chen is sleeping with Moonves (okay, they are married, but still). Now I really want to see it before it does get canceled. Morbid curiousity. Is it as bad as it looks? A knock of and inferior to The View? Only on because Chen is married to the head of CBS? Does Sara Gilbert really hide in her sweater? Do they just talk about nothing?


    I would say that was a fair parody of a largely unwatchable show. Whoever believes robots have yet to assimilate into society has yet to meet Julie Chen. Sara Gilbert, like many impressions, is intended to be exaggerated; she does look uncomfortable and out of place at times.


    I remember what a big deal was made w/ Sara Gilbert being on the show. I had no idea it was on now. I swore the idea was dropped. The skit first seemed like a joke to me, not a parody of a show, an original idea. I learned I was in fact false in my beliefs.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of whoaitsconner

    whoaitsconner

    [65]Mar 16, 2011
    • member since: 07/17/07
    • level: 21
    • rank: Snagglepuss
    • posts: 1,918
    Stu, where do you know the catholic girl from?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [66]Mar 16, 2011
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,110
    whoaitsconner wrote:
    Stu, where do you know the catholic girl from?

    "Catholic Susie" is a grade school clazsmate of mine that works for NBC.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of whoaitsconner

    whoaitsconner

    [67]Mar 16, 2011
    • member since: 07/17/07
    • level: 21
    • rank: Snagglepuss
    • posts: 1,918
    HelloStuart wrote:
    whoaitsconner wrote:
    Stu, where do you know the catholic girl from?

    "Catholic Susie" is a grade school clazsmate of mine that works for NBC.

    Hahaha wow, that's really cool.. so that proves that they'll get affiliated workers to the building of 8H to pose for update pictures?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HelloStuart

    HelloStuart

    [68]Mar 17, 2011
    • member since: 06/03/05
    • level: 63
    • rank: Browncoat
    • posts: 27,110
    whoaitsconner wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    whoaitsconner wrote:
    Stu, where do you know the catholic girl from?

    "Catholic Susie" is a grade school clazsmate of mine that works for NBC.

    Hahaha wow, that's really cool.. so that proves that they'll get affiliated workers to the building of 8H to pose for update pictures?

    More or less, yes.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.