TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Episode Discussion Thread: Zach Galifianakis/Of Monsters and Men (5/06/13)

JustinRAn

[22]May 4, 2013
    • level: 12
    Ummm.... Yeah. I Should've said all that stuff at my job when I quit.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

danharr

[23]May 4, 2013
    • level: 45

Okay first dud of the night Darrel's House.

TheDiamondDog

[24]May 4, 2013
    • level: 61

Not impressing me at all tonight. Not funny.

JustinRAn

[25]May 4, 2013
    danharr wrote:

Whew.. I thought it was just me. Course everyone else is going to say that sketch was FREAKING AWESOME!!!

JustinRAn

[27]May 4, 2013
    rishabhpb wrote:
    JustinRAn wrote:
    danharr wrote:

Whew.. I thought it was just me. Course everyone else is going to say that sketch was FREAKING AWESOME!!!

IT WAS. And I haven't even seen it yet.

Thank you for proving my point.

thecomedianky

[28]May 4, 2013
    • level: 19
    Jon Hamm!

JustinRAn

[29]May 4, 2013
    Was the point of that sketch a 420 joke?

I had New Balance. They aren't that great.

Quick Question: Is Jon Hamm Lorne's new Paul Simon?

avmon

[30]May 4, 2013
    • level: 16
    Liked most of the show especially the "result" of Darrel's House and I also loved both sets of Of Monsters and Men. I just replayed the DVR recording to catch the "corrections" of Fox and Friends and here are the best of them: "Dzhokhar Tsarnaev did not accidentally blow up vowels in his own name" "Most women have only two breasts" "Peeking at ladies' butts is not a background check" "Jason Collins was not turned gay by a Washington Wizard" "Rick Moranis was never put on death row for shrinking his children" "New York exists outside the mind of Billy Joel" "A French press is not lifting weights with your tongue out" "Lena Dunham is not a girl ventriloquist" "Plan B birth control is not masturbating" and "Rock beats scissors"

Ruckhappy

[31]May 5, 2013
    • level: 9

JustinRAn wrote:

Better question: why is Hamm doing a cameo for Zach's show instead of Wiig's next week, given that he's much closer with Wiig? He may bop in for her show as well, of course, though that doesn't seem likely.

JustinRAn

[32]May 5, 2013
    Ruckhappy wrote:

JustinRAn wrote:

Better question: why is Hamm doing a cameo for Zach's show instead of Wiig's next week, given that he's much closer with Wiig? He may bop in for her show as well, of course, though that doesn't seem likely.

Episode 3 and 13: Between Two Ferns With Zach Galifanakis

I'd expect a Annette Benning Cameo during Wiig's episode Or Ryan Phillippe cause he and Wiig last time was such a great film.

Hennes81

[34]May 7, 2013
    • level: 6

rishabhpb wrote:
    Fantastic work with Darrell's house, if they really did make the edits between the setup and the punchline. The Hamm bit seemed to be pre-recorded though.

Idk when they should have shoot the Hamm scene within the live show. Seems not doable, so it must have been pre-recorded.

The 2nd skit was edited live according to a tweet from Seth:

sethmeyers wrote:
    Seth Meyers @sethmeyers 5 Mai
    Enjoy Darrell's House part 1 http://bit.ly/10Am5Sp & 2 http://bit.ly/104B3Ef edited live during the show by Oz Rodriguez!

HelloStuart

[35]May 7, 2013
    • level: 63
    My thoughts:

+ SNL has the general nuttiness of "Fox & Friends" down pat, though tonight very little about this sketch felt new in my eyes. Brian Kilmeade's diabetic seizure was good for a chuckle, and the rapid-fire correction scroll is seldom disappoints, but otherwise this felt almost like autopilot.
    + Even if the sketches fail, if anyone remembers anything when Zach G hosts, it's the monologue. His new stand-up material is remarkably strong for someone that is now focused on making movies.
    + In that context, yes, I would accept a date from Martha Stewart.
    + I half-expected a Rachel Green cameo in the "Jennifer Aniston Look-Alike Contest" sketch. Mercifully there wasn't, though the Bradley Cooper/Ed Helms dual cameo wasn't totally necessary, either. The capper (a sing-along of "That's What Friends Are For") was a riot, though.
    + With that said, Jennifer Aniston is surprisingly easy to imitate. "Uh, Ross... Ross..."
    + This was the first live show since the Boston Marathon bombing, but so much time had gone by that the tragedy and ongoing investigation received only a passing mention on Update. Than again, I would have hated to work on SNL during a week like that.
    + Anyone expecting a gonzo, Adult Swim anti-humor vibe had their wish fulfilled with "Darrell's House." The set-up (socially awkward doofus hosts Jon Hamm in his house, gobs of post-production) and end result evoked "Tim & Eric Awesome Show Great Job!" by way of live network television, though overall it was probably more fun to execute than present.
    + The New Balance ad parody should have aired earlier in the show. I assume it was placed where it was to accommodate the live editing of Darrell's House. Otherwise, the shoe ad and the two-part concept sketch were the tentpoles of a very underwhelming last half-hour of the show.
    + By outward appearance, Of Monsters and Men looked like a Scandinavian imitator of The Lumineers, with one guitarist resembling Zach's kid brother and the other like Bjork's first cousin. Both songs have been in heavy rotation on the local alternative station here in Chicago, so again not too many surprises. Too bad the sound mixing was all over the place.
    + Anyone who has seen Zach's stand-up --especially the great Live at the Purple Onion DVD-- knows he has a tendency to do "post-racial" gags, partially for shock value and partially for meta-commentary. The meta aspect was mostly lost tonight, as Galifianakis slogged through one sketch after another that was either mediocre or merely passable, occasionally doing something offensive to keep people awake. The second half of Season 38 has been wildly uneven, but this episode had neither enough strong or outright weak material to fall on either side of the fence.

5/10

TheDiamondDog

[36]May 9, 2013
    • level: 61

I can't help but wonder if this was a digital short that got cut?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q9rLdxS7CE

Hennes81

[37]May 10, 2013
    • level: 6

Definitely! I read an interview last week in which he mentioned they did sth with "Between 2 Ferns" for SNL.

I'm not sure why they would cut it. Maybe Lorne tries to limit new Digital Short from The Lonely Island and thought 2 shorts per season were enough.
    Or maybe he didn't like the 2 Ferns setup. Who knows?

Edited on 05/10/2013 12:38am

Ruckhappy

[38]May 10, 2013

This was certainly a funny show, but I had the impression that it was heavily derived from Zach's actual material and style of comedy. You can say that Darrell's House seemed like a Tim & Eric piece, but it had a strong Between 2 Ferns feel to me. Really, the only sketches that felt original exclusive of Zach were Fox & Friends and Game of Game of Thrones. Granted, it's smart of the writers to leverage off the strengths of the host, but I think they kind of got a mulligan on this one because Zach could pull a funny monologue out his own act, make the Aniston lookalike sketch work just by how he played his character, etc.

I think if you look closely the writers didn't regroup last week despite their nice, long layoff after tanking on Vince Vaughn. Rather, they managed to piece together a decent show based around a strong host. Since this was the last "normal" show of the season, it's the last one where we can judge where the writing staff is at, and I think the answer is that they're still beyond hope. They tanked on Jennifer Lawrence and Kevin Hart despite weeks to prepare, and wrote shows that were half-saved by the host for McCarthy and Zach G.

BaronOne

[39]May 13, 2013
    • level: 15

Actually... according to Twitter, Seth wrote "Darrell's House."

Ruckhappy

[40]May 13, 2013

I know that Seth wrote it. My point is that that sketch, like other parts of the show, felt largely derived from Zach's prior work, so not that original.