Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Favorite Cast Member (Of All Time and Present)

drudager

[227]Jul 5, 2012
    • level: 13
    rishabhpb wrote:
    A post from 5 years ago suggesting that Kenan should leave. Laughter > Rage.

People are allowed to have opinions.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

drudager

[229]Jul 5, 2012
    It was a general synopsis toward people who seem to think message boards & comment boxes are supposed to always be positive / worship odes / lovefests to the topic at hand, and seem to get dumbfounded with people of differing opinions and tell them incredibly to "go away", LOL. I've seen it on the "Whitney", "Last Man Standing" & "Big Bang Theory" boards here. Personally Kenan was never a favorite of mine or deemed irreplaceable, so I understand the sentiment. He's been on since Season 29 & he is getting long in the tooth. When that post was made, it was almost 5 years for Kenan which used to be the standard. Merely surviving or hanging on a very long time isn't always a sign of accomplishment or quality IMO.

mrjimmyjames

[231]Jul 6, 2012
    • level: 7

drudager wrote:

mrjimmyjames wrote:

drudager wrote:
    You're only as good as your writers & script, yet his short-lived TV show was a masterpiece and it never caught fire.

It might be the perfect time to bring that show back and try it again. Also, he was NBC's choice for succeeding Letterman on Late Night but he turned them down. I could definetely see him being able to do a late night talk show.

Maybe on Comedy Central or HBO but basically the essential core of that show is already in other projects. Maybe it would be nice to see Carvey do the Tonight Show instead of that Jay "I'm Too Cool" Leno whom apparently we'll have to pry TTS out of his cold dead hands. Here's another problem: Carvey just turned 57. Johnny Carson was 66 when he retired. Letterman is 65, Leno is 62. It's going to be very interesting what the late night scene looks like 10 years from now.

Wow. I had no idea he was 57. I guess his career is pretty much over then. I predict Leno will hand the show over to Fallon and take it back at least a couple of times before collapsing on stage during one of his monologues.

Edited on 07/05/2012 11:03pm
    Edited 2 total times.

mrjimmyjames

[232]Jul 6, 2012

JustinRAn wrote:
    avmon wrote:
    drudager wrote:
    I think we just can't compare or assume every SNL alumni heavyweight will succeed like Chase, Murray, Aykroyd, Sandler, (briefly Myers) & Ferrell at the box office.
    Hey, don't forget Murphy!
    With the exception of Ferrell (Stranger than Fiction), All of them haven't really done anything good in the last 5 years. Especially Murphy.

There was a moment about 5 or 6 years ago where I really thought that Sandler had an opportunity to step up his game, take his career to the next level, and become a more critically praised dramatic actor. He was great in Punch Drunk Love, Spanglish, and Reign Over Me. He even came close to landing Jamie Foxx's role in Collateral. Yet today his career has stooped so low he dresses in drag to get laughs. His career has regressed. So disappointing. Murphy hasn't done anything since Dreamgirls. Flop after Flop after Flop. Ferrell got pretty good reviews for Everything Must Go. Myers can't do anything other than Austin Powers or Shrek.

drudager

[233]Jul 6, 2012
    rishabhpb wrote:
    If that's in relation to me .

Nope. Not being sarcastic, either.

drudager

[234]Jul 6, 2012

mrjimmyjames wrote:
    I predict Leno will hand the show over to Fallon and take it back at least a couple of times before collapsing on stage during one of his monologues.

What a last-place idea for a last-place network. I REALLY don't want to see Fallon take over the TTS. I think it would do more damage to the country than all the global warming, politicians, wars, Wall St. & disease combined.

And I agree it will take Leno dying on stage to get him off TTS. I envision he'll eventually become too weak to walk under his own power & will drive onto the stage in one of his antique cars & do the show from there. A couple of chairs next to a car will look awkward Frown

Edited on 07/06/2012 9:29am

drudager

[235]Jul 6, 2012
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

There was a moment about 5 or 6 years ago where I really thought that Sandler had an opportunity to step up his game, take his career to the next level, and become a more critically praised dramatic actor. He was great in Punch Drunk Love, Spanglish, and Reign Over Me. He even came close to landing Jamie Foxx's role in Collateral. Yet today his career has stooped so low he dresses in drag to get laughs. His career has regressed. So disappointing. Murphy hasn't done anything since Dreamgirls. Flop after Flop after Flop. Ferrell got pretty good reviews for Everything Must Go. Myers can't do anything other than Austin Powers or Shrek.

Not SNL related, but I recently saw a bit of a morning show that had David Alan Grier on and apparently he cut his teeth in theater & was promoting some show he's doing on Broadway (!) I would had never guessed. But Grier & Sandler: polar opposites. I don't really follow SNLers in movies so I really can't comment on that.

HelloStuart

[236]Jul 6, 2012
    • level: 63
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

On Myers' end, the only dramatic role I can think of was in "54." Even in "Inglorious Basterds" he was cartoony.

JustinRAn

[237]Jul 7, 2012
    • level: 12
    drudager wrote:

mrjimmyjames wrote:
    I predict Leno will hand the show over to Fallon and take it back at least a couple of times before collapsing on stage during one of his monologues.

What a last-place idea for a last-place network. I REALLY don't want to see Fallon take over the TTS. I think it would do more damage to the country than all the global warming, politicians, wars, Wall St. & disease combined.

And I agree it will take Leno dying on stage to get him off TTS. I envision he'll eventually become too weak to walk under his own power & will drive onto the stage in one of his antique cars & do the show from there. A couple of chairs next to a car will look awkward Frown

So, according to your logic, Fallon an hour earlier will kill people? Can I move your soapbox for you? Seriously, Even I've stopped mentioning Wiig and Forte.

mrjimmyjames

[238]Jul 22, 2012

drudager wrote:

mrjimmyjames wrote:

At some point in the future:

Leno: Gee, folks I sure am sorry to see that Jimmy Fallon couldn't cut it, he's a swell guy but that's just how the business goes. And I'm sureit had nothing to do with me staying under contract with NBC after leaving the show. Oh well, the doctors have told me that I can no longer walk so i've decided to the show right from my hospital bed. So have you seen this have you... (heavy coughing, goes on for at least a minute) have you seen this in the newspaper? (most of the audience gives blank stares because they have no idea what a newspaper is)

Edited on 07/22/2012 6:02pm

mrjimmyjames

[239]Jul 22, 2012

HelloStuart wrote:
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

On Myers' end, the only dramatic role I can think of was in "54." Even in "Inglorious Basterds" he was cartoony.

I always thought Myers made such a mistake by ending Austin Powers so early; he could have kept doing that series for yearswhile he tried to findanother successful character. But instead of keeping Powers relevant while trying out other characters he chose to end Powers and failed with The Love Guru. Now he looks desperate going back to Powers now that its been out of the mainstream for so long.

HelloStuart

[240]Jul 23, 2012
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

I always thought Myers made such a mistake by ending Austin Powers so early; he could have kept doing that series for yearswhile he tried to findanother successful character. But instead of keeping Powers relevant while trying out other characters he chose to end Powers and failed with The Love Guru. Now he looks desperate going back to Powers now that its been out of the mainstream for so long.

I beg to differ; I think Austin Powers ran just beyond its course. Heck, that third movie was supposed to be over two hours long.

TheDiamondDog

[241]Jul 23, 2012
    • level: 61

HelloStuart wrote:
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

I beg to differ; I think Austin Powers ran just beyond its course. Heck, that third movie was supposed to be over two hours long.

I recall it being under 2 hours.

I can't help but wonder if Austin Powers would still be popular. Or good.

HelloStuart

[242]Jul 24, 2012
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

I recall it being under 2 hours.

I can't help but wonder if Austin Powers would still be popular. Or good.

Emphasis on "supposed." The studio forced Myers et al. to cut twenty minutes from the original 114-minute running time.

mrjimmyjames

[244]Jul 24, 2012

HelloStuart wrote:
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

I disagree. Goldmember was probably my favorite of the trilogy. But strictly as a business decision, I think it has made Myers less relevant. And now that's he trying to bring back the character after being gone for so long is a pathetic attempt to revive his dead career.

HelloStuart

[245]Jul 25, 2012
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

I always thought Myers made such a mistake by ending Austin Powers so early; he could have kept doing that series for yearswhile he tried to find another successful character. But instead of keeping Powers relevant while trying out other characters he chose to end Powers and failed with The Love Guru. Now he looks desperate going back to Powers now that its been out of the mainstream for so long.

I disagree. Goldmember was probably my favorite of the trilogy. But strictly as a business decision, I think it has made Myers less relevant. And now that's he trying to bring back the character after being gone for so long is a pathetic attempt to revive his dead career.

I'm not saying "Goldmember" was terrible, I'm saying a lot of gags were repeated from the first two films and there are some minor continuity issues that are rectified by the deleted scenes. In spite of that, it was a good sequel but not on par with the first movie. Just my two cents.

HelloStuart

[247]Jul 26, 2012
    rishabhpb wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    mrjimmyjames wrote:

I always thought Myers made such a mistake by ending Austin Powers so early; he could have kept doing that series for yearswhile he tried to find another successful character. But instead of keeping Powers relevant while trying out other characters he chose to end Powers and failed with The Love Guru. Now he looks desperate going back to Powers now that its been out of the mainstream for so long.

I'm not saying "Goldmember" was terrible, I'm saying a lot of gags were repeated from the first two films and there are some minor continuity issues that are rectified by the deleted scenes. In spite of that, it was a good sequel but not on par with the first movie. Just my two cents.

Interestingly, Goldmember came out exactly 10 years ago (to the day, even). Would Mike have been more relevant or somewhat more despised if he'd kept making movies with accelerating diminishing returns like Sandler?

Good question. The number of "good" Sandler movies can be counted on one hand. Myers had an equally successful, albeit slightly higher-brow, run in the '90s and early '00s. The likely turning point was Mike's divorce and his dabbling into eastern philosophy. Otherwise, I'm sure Myers would be churning out something like "That's My Boy" but much more cartoonish.

drudager

[249]Jul 26, 2012
    HelloStuart wrote:

I saw the first 2. Felt the 2nd one was unnecessary. Yeah I'm a regular Gene Siskel.

Woodstein

[250]Jul 28, 2012
    • level: 14
    The problem with the sequels to Austin Powers is that the first movie got a lot of mileage out of sending up spy movie conventions and differences between society in the 60's and 90's, but the later movies kind of cast those things aside in favor of more scatological humor. Goldmember was largely running on fumes, and the only thing it really had going for it in my opinion was Michael Caine.

TheDiamondDog

[251]Jul 28, 2012
    • level: 61

Woodstein wrote:
    The problem with the sequels to Austin Powers is that the first movie got a lot of mileage out of sending up spy movie conventions and differences between society in the 60's and 90's, but the later movies kind of cast those things aside in favor of more scatological humor. Goldmember was largely running on fumes, and the only thing it really had going for it in my opinion was Michael Caine.

I do feel Goldmember was Beyonce's best performance, having seen her other work.