TV.com will be making changes to the Private Message system the week of Jan 26, 2015. For more information click here

Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Favorite Cast Member (Of All Time and Present)

HelloStuart

[41]Jul 5, 2007
    • level: 63
    Woodstein wrote:
    I wouldn't mind if the cast stayed the same, as the cast members not named Maya or Darrell have all held their own and provided some good performances. I'm more curious about what's happening to the writing staff, as that was last season's week point. Each episode felt as if it was a genuine struggle for them to fill ninety minutes of show time. I'd go so far as to say the writing's the weakest it's been since Year 20.

The writing has been uneven since about Year 28, but mostly because the scribes don't have a focal point. Before then, you'd think everyone was writing for Will Ferrell. Personally, saying that it's as bad as Year 20 is almost hyperbole; one of the issues from that season was how the writers weren't connecting to the cast, but at least now they make an attempt to work with the actors' strengths. The strongest writing/acting combo right now is by far Lonely Island (Samberg, Jorma, and Akiva), but mostly because they had a standing creative partnership long before they were on SNL.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

heroesfan07

[42]Jul 28, 2007
    • level: 21

can't choice top 5 are:

5.Amy Poehler

4.Jimmy Fallon

3.Rachel Drath

2.Will ferral

1.Tina Fey

HelloStuart

[43]Jul 28, 2007
    heroesfan07 wrote:

can't choice top 5 are:

5.Amy Poehler

4.Jimmy Fallon

3.Rachel Drath

2.Will ferral

1.Tina Fey

Another SNL diehard.

heroesfan07

[44]Jul 28, 2007
    I love this show can't wait till 30 rock comes to the UK

evildevil97

[45]Jul 29, 2007
    • level: 26
    heroesfan07 wrote:
    I love this show can't wait till 30 rock comes to the UK
    I think he was referring to "Drath" and "Ferral"

heroesfan07

[46]Jul 29, 2007

I know

Psy4potato

[47]Aug 22, 2007
    • level: 10

This is hard. I have so many, um..

Orignal: Gilda Radnar

Past: I love Will Ferrell, Cheir Oteri, Molly Shannon, Tina Fey, Ana Gasteyer, and Rachel Dratch.... it's to hard to pick fav...all of those people were the best that SNL had!

Present: Amy Poehler and Mya Rudolph for sure!!!!

Not asked but Best Character Ever: DEBBIE DOWNER!

Edited on 08/22/2007 6:31pm
    Edited 2 total times.

Water78

[48]Aug 23, 2007
    • level: 47
    I wonder if they will do another tribute for Chris Farley and Phil Hartman this season.I still think they should new cast members liek a person that could go after MadTV's Bobby Lee he's the Will Ferrell of MadTV. I think if they added Kel Mitchell he and Kenan could do comedy wonders. Favorite: would have to be Hartman. Favorite now:thats funny.
    Edited on 08/23/2007 6:40am

HelloStuart

[49]Aug 23, 2007
    Water78 wrote:
    I wonder if they will doanother tribute for Chris Farley and Phil Hartman this season.I still think they should new cast members liek a person that could go after MadTV's Bobby Lee he's the Will Ferrell of MadTV. I think if they added Kel Mitchell he and Kenan could do comedy wonders. Favorite: would have to be Hartman. Favorite now: thats funny.

I wouldn't touch anyone on MADtv with a ten-foot pole. First off, it's SNL's direct competitor; all the other shows whose cast SNL raided at least had a connection to NBC or Lorne. Secondly, MADtv has as much star wattage as a button on an elevator; name five cast members that became movie stars on the level of Eddie Murphy or Adam Sandler.

sienster

[50]Aug 23, 2007
    • level: 8
    All time: Farley and Ferrel
    Now: Keenan Thompson

Psy4potato

[51]Aug 23, 2007
    Eh...I hate Bobby Lee. I only like him as Connie Chung. Mad Tv is amazing! I don't know what you guys are talking about. I love SNL and I love Mad Tv...both have their strengths and weaknesses. It seems like no matter what bored you go to if it's a Mad Tv board they say "SNL sucks" and SNL boards say 'Mad Tv Sucks!'....I feel like I'm a minority that think both are amazing. Anyways, this is off subject but I wanted to add my two cents.

furiousfunk

[52]Aug 23, 2007
    • level: 13
    Extremely difficult question.
    I have to say Bill Murray with John Belushi, Eddie Murphy, Phil Hartman, Dan Ackroyd and Norm Mcdonald tied for a close second.

Currently, I think I have to say Kristen Wiig and Amy Poehler. Both are hot as hell and both extremely funny.

furiousfunk

[53]Aug 23, 2007
    Psy4potato wrote:
    Eh...I hate Bobby Lee. I only like him as Connie Chung. Mad Tv is amazing! I don't know what you guys are talking about. I love SNL and I love Mad Tv...both have their strengths and weaknesses. It seems like no matter what bored you go to if it's a Mad Tv board they say "SNL sucks" and SNL boards say 'Mad Tv Sucks!'....I feel like I'm a minority that think both are amazing. Anyways, this is off subject but I wanted to add my two cents.

I watch both as well, the wonders of TiVo. I think MadTV has been better overall since it's creation. SNL has too many cronies of Lorne Michaels that continue to write poorly and never take chances.

mp34mp

[54]Aug 23, 2007
    • level: 16
    furiousfunk wrote:
    Psy4potato wrote:

I watch both as well, the wonders of TiVo. I think MadTV has been better overall since it's creation. SNL has too many cronies of Lorne Michaels that continue to write poorly and never take chances.

Well for one thing, MadTV does a lot more parodies and tends to be racist at times, which is stuff SNL never does. And another thing, dare I say MadTV has better actors? As for which one is more dumbed-down, I'd have to say MadTV, but SNL is way more appealing to the teen crowd. And I don't like that. SNL is also very boring at times.

TheDiamondDog

[55]Aug 23, 2007
    • level: 61

mp34mp wrote:
    furiousfunk wrote:
    Psy4potato wrote:
    SNL is also very boring at times.

Ever cringe during a skit? Or feel like you were being tortured? I have.

mp34mp

[56]Aug 23, 2007
    • level: 16
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

mp34mp wrote:
    furiousfunk wrote:
    Psy4potato wrote:

Oh you mean like every Deep House Dish sketch? Or Debbie Downer? Or everywhere Whitney or Oprah bit? Or every sketch Jimmy Fallon was ever in where he ruined the entire sketch by laughing?

Psy4potato

[57]Aug 23, 2007
    Debbie Downer Ruled!!!! Rachel Dratch was amazing and brilliant! I never cringe in sketches......I don't like some of Mad Tv's Sketches and I don't like some of SNL's...but they both have more good sketches then bad.

HelloStuart

[58]Aug 23, 2007

mp34mp wrote:
    furiousfunk wrote:
    Psy4potato wrote:

Well for one thing, MadTV does a lot more parodies and tends to be racist at times, which is stuff SNL never does. And another thing, dare I say MadTV has better actors? As for which one is more dumbed-down, I'd have to say MadTV, but SNL is way more appealing to the teen crowd. And I don't like that. SNL is also very boring at times.

I believe the key to MADtv is writing, not acting; the concepts are promising, but I find MADtv's recurring characters to be far more annoying than SNL's, and for that I blame the cast. I must confess, however that sometimes SNL is prone to pulling punches and it can be quite obvious when they do so; still, SNLis the better show and always will be.

Edited on 08/23/2007 9:49pm

furiousfunk

[59]Aug 24, 2007
    HelloStuart wrote:

mp34mp wrote:
    furiousfunk wrote:
    Psy4potato wrote:

I believe the key to MADtv is writing, not acting; the concepts are promising, but I find MADtv's recurring characters to be far more annoying than SNL's, and for that I blame the cast. I must confess, however that sometimes SNL is prone to pulling punches and it can be quite obvious when they do so; still, SNLis the better show and always will be.

I still think the Will Sasso years are the golden years of MadTV. I think Kenny Rogers Punk'd and Kenny Rogers Jackass are 2 of the best comedy skits ever produced. Just something about Kenny Rogers being a drop down crazy drunk is funnier than Sean Connery on Jeopardy

TheDiamondDog

[60]Aug 24, 2007
    • level: 61
    mp34mp wrote:
    TheDiamondDog wrote:

mp34mp wrote:
    furiousfunk wrote:
    Psy4potato wrote:

Oh you mean like every Deep House Dish sketch? Or Debbie Downer? Or everywhere Whitney or Oprah bit? Or every sketch Jimmy Fallon was ever in where he ruined the entire sketch by laughing?

I liked DHD now. When Rachel was co-host it was more annoying.