TV.com will be making changes to the Private Message system the week of Jan 26, 2015. For more information click here

Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

Favorite Cast Member (Of All Time and Present)

AWestcave83

[81]Dec 19, 2007
    • level: 2
    Yeah, I come by every once in a while. I haven't posted in probably two years, though.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

friendfan13

[82]Dec 20, 2007
    • level: 8
    all time: either Chris Kattan, Tina Fey, or Mike Meyers

present: Jason Sudeikis or Amy Poehler

whoaitsconner

[83]Mar 5, 2008
    • level: 21
    I'm just wondering. Why is this still a sticky? Nobody (minus me) has posted since 2007.

HelloStuart

[84]Mar 5, 2008
    • level: 63
    whoaitsconner wrote:
    I'm just wondering. Why is this still a sticky? Nobody (minus me) has posted since 2007.

It's a frequently addressed topic. We've had at least four "Favorite Cast Member" threads since '05, so I figured I'd stop the duplication.

whoaitsconner

[85]Mar 5, 2008

HelloStuart wrote:
    whoaitsconner wrote:
    It's a frequently addressed topic. We've had at least four "Favorite Cast Member" threads since '05, so I figured I'd stop the duplication.

ahhh. okay.

algetrig91

[86]Mar 5, 2008
    • level: 34
    I wish we could do that for the "Who would you like to see host?" threads.

HelloStuart

[87]Mar 5, 2008
    algetrig91 wrote:
    I wish we could do that for the "Who would you like to see host?" threads.

If somebody else posts one, I guess I could make it sticky. I may have been a little too rough on the last guy that started a thread like that.

Woodstein

[88]Mar 6, 2008
    • level: 14
    The problem with a thread like that now is that there are only four episodes left with no confirmed host, it's best to have one in the second half of the Summer when early rumors start floating around.

TheDiamondDog

[89]Mar 7, 2008
    • level: 61

Woodstein wrote:
    The problem with a thread like that now is that there are only four episodes left with no confirmed host, it's best to have one in the second half of the Summer when early rumors start floating around.

Still, we could brain storm during the summer.

whoaitsconner

[90]Mar 7, 2008
    Woodstein wrote:

2nd half of the summer? Usually by the 2nd half of the summer, our questions are being answered. If we start rumors/hopes, we should do it during the first half.

mjamielee7

[91]Mar 8, 2008
    • level: 12
    ANDY SAMBERG!

whoaitsconner

[92]Mar 24, 2008
    I wanted to comment on the earlier conversation in this thread about which is better. MadTV or SNL? I first started watching MadTV before SNL, and personally, I don't think "MadTV sucks!" as most SNL fans do. As Stu said, MadTV's writing was the key to their show. Their recurring characters were mostly annoying.
    But, I think they're past their prime (or first prime, they could do what SNL's been doing). I like the show on syndication, when Nicole Sullivan, and all of the old cast members were on. The acting isn't as strong any more. I don't like MadTV, because they shoot their episodes weeks before hand, when they can get a huge chunk of news and shoot it the week of. (For instance, they can shoot it Saturday afternoon). And of course, not being live takes the sizzle out of it.

As for SNL, some of their writing is down right horrible. But, Mark was right. It's more appealing to teens. Even though my dad enjoys the recent episodes, he still doesn't laugh at some of the sketches, or single jokes I laugh at.

A little bias, but I think SNL is better then MadTV. The writing on MadTV isn't as strong as it used to be, but it is still strong. And as for SNL's writing, we can't say "SNL's gotten worse". Their writing has always been kind of inconsistent, yet promising.

HelloStuart

[93]Mar 24, 2008
    whoaitsconner wrote:
    A little bias, but I think SNL is better then MadTV. The writing on MadTV isn't as strong as it used to be, but it is still strong. And as for SNL's writing, we can't say "SNL's gotten worse". Their writing has always been kind of inconsistent, yet promising.

You hit it on the head, Conner. Ninety minutes is a large amount of time to fill, so inconsistency is almost inevitable. Perfection might be unobtainable, but as long as you make people laugh...

whoaitsconner

[94]Mar 24, 2008
    HelloStuart wrote:
    whoaitsconner wrote:

You hit it on the head, Conner. Ninety minutes is a large amount of time to fill, so inconsistency is almost inevitable. Perfection might be unobtainable, but as long as you make people laugh...

Has anybody ever thought the inconsistency might come from them writing early in the morning, with lack of sleep?

mp34mp

[95]Mar 24, 2008
    • level: 16
    whoaitsconner wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    whoaitsconner wrote:

Has anybody ever thought the inconsistency might come from them writing early in the morning, with lack of sleep?

I think it has to do with more of Lorne demanding the ridiculous task of writing that week's material starting on the Wednesday.

HelloStuart

[96]Mar 24, 2008
    whoaitsconner wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    whoaitsconner wrote:

No, I think it has more to do with trying to fill ninety minutes of airtime when most sketch comedy shows can barely sustain a full hour. It's not as easy as it looks.

PCB129

[97]Mar 30, 2008
    • level: 4
    I'll post!

Favorite: Kristin Wiig, Tina Fey, and Amy Poehler. I'm sorry I really can't narrow that down.

I love some of the oldies too Like Phil Hartman, Eddie Murphy, and Dana Carvey, but I'm just more familiar with those ladies.

threepixels

[98]Apr 2, 2008
    • level: 2

I think my favorite male is probably Dana Carvey. His characters always made me laugh.

My favorite female is probably Tina Fey. I think her weekend updates were spot on. She managed to keep her cool on the show while still having so many projects going on.

norm23331

[99]Apr 18, 2008
    • level: 5

Of All Time: Belushi/Aykroyd/Radner/Murphy/Piscopo/Lovitz/Hartman/Carvey/Farley/Spade/Sandler/Rock/Schneider/Ferrell/Morgan

I know I'm supposed to pick a few, but I have alot of faves.

Currenty: Forte/Thompson/Poehler/Samberg/Hader/Wiig/Sudeikis

HelloStuart

[100]Apr 18, 2008
    norm23331 wrote:

Of All Time: Belushi/Aykroyd/Radner/Murphy/Piscopo/Lovitz/Hartman/Carvey/Farley/Spade/Sandler/Rock/Schneider/Ferrell/Morgan

I know I'm supposed to pick a few, but I have alot of faves.

Currenty: Forte/Thompson/Poehler/Samberg/Hader/Wiig/Sudeikis

I'm almost afraid to ask which Belushi- both brothers were cast members.