Saturday Night Live Forums

Saturday 11:30 PM on NBCIn Season

General News & Media Mentions

HelloStuart

[2115]Jan 20, 2014
    • level: 63
    Ruckhappy wrote:

His comments about the quality of the acting of the current cast and of the recently departed vets are quite astute. Bill comes off as much more professionally analytical about craft techniques than I would have expected him to be. Implicit in his praise for the acting of the cast, though, is veiled criticism of the quality of the writing. What he's really saying is that the cast is covering for a lot of bad writing with talented vamping--and he's right.

You could say the same thing about Year 5, Bill's last season on the show.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

HelloStuart

[2116]Jan 22, 2014
    Apparently Cecily and POB are an item. I wasn't aware of this until Monday, but they've been seen holding hands at Broadway shows.

Hennes81

[2117]Jan 23, 2014
    • level: 5

HelloStuart wrote:
    Apparently Cecily and POB are an item. I wasn't aware of this until Monday, but they've been seen holding hands at Broadway shows.

Not sure how to phrase that, but I try: In my opinion the congratulations should mostly go to Mike/Patrick.Wink

benjaminlebar

[2118]Jan 23, 2014
    • level: 1

Hennes81 wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:

Not sure how to phrase that, but I try: In my opinion the congratulations should mostly go to Mike/Patrick.

Yeah, can you say "lucky bastard"?!

benjaminlebar

[2119]Jan 23, 2014
    • level: 1

http://www.eonline.com/news/502687/colin-jost-named-weekend-update-coanchor-on-saturday-night-live

Colin Jost named successor of the empty Update chair

mrjimmyjames

[2120]Jan 23, 2014
    • level: 7

benjaminlebar wrote:

Hennes81 wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:

Not sure how to phrase that, but I try: In my opinion the congratulations should mostly go to Mike/Patrick.

Yeah, can you say "lucky bastard"?!

I'll second that. Pretty lucky guy.

Ruckhappy

[2121]Jan 23, 2014
    • level: 8

mrjimmyjames wrote:
    Pretty lucky guy.

Not that lucky. Jost being names an Update anchor puts the cast roster at 18, which is huge. One or two of the cast will have to be cut after this season, and O'Brien is the goat of the cast currently.

Royce7815

[2122]Jan 23, 2014
    • level: 3

Ruckhappy wrote:

mrjimmyjames wrote:
    Pretty lucky guy.

Not that lucky. Jost being names an Update anchor puts the cast roster at 18, which is huge. One or two of the cast will have to be cut after this season, and O'Brien is the goat of the cast currently.

Dang, the show will be half over by the time Don Pardo finishes. I can't wait for them to comment on this part of the show if they do another decade in review special.

Edited on 01/23/2014 4:18pm

Hennes81

[2123]Jan 24, 2014

Ruckhappy wrote:
    Jost being names an Update anchor puts the cast roster at 18, which is huge. One or two of the cast will have to be cut after this season, and O'Brien is the goat of the cast currently.

Jost won't be an additional performer, he is a replacement for Seth. So there will still be 17 names.

If some people will be cut after this season, it might be Nasim and O'Brien. Nasim could be move to Mulaneys sitcom and O'Brien can hope to follow Robbo and work as a writer. If Lorne wants to remain with O'Brien, Brooks Wheelan could be in danger, too.

Ruckhappy

[2124]Jan 25, 2014

Nasim is definitely leaving for Mulaney's show, which is already going into production. I'm not sure what the Fox announcement of skipping pilot season means though. Are they going to start shooting episodes in the spring? Maybe Nasim doesn't come back to SNL after the Olympics.

I think his appearance as himself in the Family Feud sketch shows that they like him at SNL. It's O'Brien whose head is on the block, not Wheelan's. And I doubt he'll stay at SNL after he's fired. Lorne will offer him his writing job back pro forma, but with the understanding that O'Brien should just leave. It would be too awkward if he were to stay.

Hennes81

[2125]Jan 28, 2014

If you want to hear Ian Rubbish, Blue Jean Commitee or The Fingerlings without watching SNL, there's a simple option:

http://entertainment.time.com/2014/01/24/fred-armisen-releases-singles-featuring-fictional-saturday-night-live-bands/

Edited on 01/28/2014 12:43pm

Hennes81

[2126]Feb 4, 2014

Here an extensive interview with Lorne:
    http://www.vulture.com/2014/01/lorne-michaels-on-tonight-show-snl.html

I'm not sure if he answered any question as it was asked. But it's interesting enough to get Lornes comment on various topics.

Edited on 02/04/2014 12:32am

Hennes81

[2127]Feb 4, 2014

Also a text about Jimmy from New York Magazine: http://www.vulture.com/2014/01/jimmy-fallon-tonight-show-interview.html

It says, Jimmy wanted to leave SNL after 3 seasons, but stayed because Lorne offered him WU. Also some interesting thoughts about his time before he got Late Night and the headlines after he takes over Tonight.

And some kind of background knowledge why Jimmy and Horatio always broke character (I mean their relationship, not the alcohol):

"We were super-functioning alcoholics, definitely," says Horatio Sanz, Fallon's SNL cast mate and drinking buddy. "They say that kind of goes hand in hand with SNL, some kind of substance-abuse issues, because it's so stressful you easily find yourself blowing off steam a lot." Niagara in the East Village was another favorite; Sanz once demanded a margarita in the biggest glass the bar had, which turned out to be a vase, and woke up on the sidewalk in front of his apartment. "Yeah, we got in a couple of brawls," says Sanz. "I've seen Jimmy clock a few people." Sanz's favorite fight happened at another haunt, Peter McManus Cafe on 19th Street. Fallon started pouring a beer on someone's hat, thinking it belonged to Sanz's friend. "The owner of the hat, we didn't know who he was, said something like, 'What the fuck are you guys doing?' and Jimmy just punched him. He wasn't that hurt; he just walked into a tornado of drunken stupidity. Yeah, Jimmy could fight. I don't know where he learned, but he definitely scrapped with the best of them."

Edited on 02/04/2014 2:21am

Ruckhappy

[2128]Feb 5, 2014

Jimmy could fight? He was a scarecrow in those days. I would have taken him on left-handed back then. I had my drinking days when I lived in New York and it's not a town where you go throwing punches unless you've got the stones and the hands to back it up. Colin Quinn, there's a guy I wouldn't swing on unless I had to. Norm, Dave Koechner, Suds...these are guys with whom I would not screw unless pressed. Jimmy? He was barely bigger than Chris Kattan!

HelloStuart

[2129]Feb 7, 2014
    Hi guys, I'm back!

First of all, I want to apologize for my lengthy and unexpected absence. An unusual glitch in the system prevented me from editing, moderating, private messaging, or accessing the forums. The issue took ten days to fix. I will respond to all queries and post my thoughts on Hill/Bastille and MelMac/Dragons in the next day or two.

Also, with Seth departing and Jost taking his seat at the Update desk, we're still at 17 cast members. However, 18 cast members in one season is a new SNL record (both 1991-92 and 1994-95 had 17 total).

warqueen

[2130]Feb 10, 2014

Well folks this is a stunner of an announcement:

Fred Armisen to 'curate and lead''Late Night With Seth Meyers'house band.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/02/10/late-night-band-seth-meyers-fred-armisen/

warqueen

[2131]Feb 10, 2014

Here are the confirmed guests for The Tonight Show With Jimmy Fallon first week:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/02/10/tonight-show-jimmy-fallon-guest-list/

Monday, Feb. 17: Will Smith and musical guest U2

Tuesday, Feb. 18: Jerry Seinfeld, Kristen Wiig, and musical guest Lady Gaga

Wednesday, Feb. 19: Bradley Cooper and musical guest Tim McGraw

Thursday, Feb. 20: First lady Michelle Obama, Will Ferrell, and musical guest Arcade Fire

Friday, Feb. 21: Justin Timberlake, as interview and musical guest

warqueen

[2132]Feb 10, 2014

I meant to post this for the longest time but kept putting it off, here is Kate McKinnon on her first (and now only) appearance on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon back on Tuesday January 21. The reason I do so now is that on several LGBT message sites, there has been a lot of comments about how "sexed up" Kate looked on the show. With several commenting she looked like a high priced call girl. A large amount lesbian commentators on various sites stated that this her and how she was dressed and acted in the "Twin Bed" music video sketch (also with Fallon) that she isn't 100% gay, possibly actually bi, or even flipping back to hetero, with the randiest comment from one lesbian author: 'Apparently Katie may be coming down with a case of "Sara Paulson syndrome". (the actress from American Horror Story and 12 Years A Slave.)

Others, including both gay and straight men and some gay women, defended her look and positively complimented Kate. I, as a guy who loves women, thought she looked fantastic and gorgeous.

http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/video/kate-mckinnon-has-long-worn-great-costumes/n45383/

warqueen

[2133]Feb 10, 2014

Here is Seth Meyers's final appearance on Late Night With Jimmy Fallon on January 28; which marked the official passing of the pickle...errr baton of the "Late Night" franchise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdolpQ7XPXA

warqueen

[2134]Feb 10, 2014

warqueen wrote:

Here is Seth Meyers's final appearance on Late Night With Jimmy Fallon on January 28; which marked the official passing of the pickle...errr baton of the "Late Night" franchise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdolpQ7XPXA

what made this extra special was not only did they show the first time Seth made his appearance on Weekend Update from Nov. 3, 2001, (Jimmy looked so different super weird) but photos on how they both completely looked different from the dress rehearsal to the live on air that same 2001 show Also great stories about the SNL after parties (and after-after) parties with Tracy and Horatio.